Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can I play Cities: Skylines with a thousand dollar Vive, because I think that would be a really cool dumb experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leal posted:

I want Black and White VR.

This also came to mind, but only if I can pick up my giant angry ape and pet it until it’s good.

Just kidding I’m gonna rub its nose in the poop for its insolence.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 14, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As a successful remote employee for the last 12 years who is rapidly developing an interest in plunking down some serious dosh for a VR setup, that’s the dumbest loving thing I’ve heard in a while.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Play a flight sim and race your pilot

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Syves posted:

I have one, got it set up, and then Index showed up.
Is wireless likely to be an option with the index in the foreseeable future, or are these systems just pushing too many pixels too fast now for that to work?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thoom posted:

My Index controllers finally became unusable, so I'm back to Vive wands until Valve gets back to me with RMA info.

As I'm considering an index, can you go into detail on the failure here?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How long is the wiring harness on the index? Thinking about it, but trying to figure out where/how. I have plenty of space, but my computer setup is a little nonconventional.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zaphod42 posted:

The 3-piece cable that goes to your computer is about 1 meter, the main cable that connects from that to the HMD is 5 meters. There's a breakaway connector between them.

Or what are you asking if not that?

Just that, like “how far from my computer can I be”

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, I think I'd totally buy an index, sure would be cool if I could.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Boneworks finally got an update with new save spots!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/823500/announcements/detail/3740739649384812080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU40ZT2DyhY

I had been waiting for this to be updated before I bought it myself :toot:

https://i.imgur.com/sEjN0pO.gifv

Bone works, indeed

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

peter gabriel posted:

crouched under a desk making GBS threads your pants

Tuesday afternoon once a week is enough for me, thanks!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

w00tmonger posted:

Looking to grab a rift a tonight. Should be good with a 1060 6gb, 16gb ram and a i7 4770k eh?

Similar boat except I'm waiting for the index to become available. How much trust can I place in the steam VR performance tester? Has it at all been updated for more modern hardware, and if so, is there another benchmark I should try?

Here's the report:

You can see exactly when a message popped up on telegram, the fact that something like a notification can make an actual real dip like that makes me wonder.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's generally accurate. How much RAM do you have?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cool beans, thanks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I really like how you dont just warp things into your palm, it comes close and then you sort of have to grab it mid air. I didn't see any inventory management, hopefully it's just as engaging.

I saw some things getting dropped into a pack over the shoulder, and another object shrunk into some extra dimensional wrist pocket.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RandomBlue posted:

and you don't have goon eyes

We talking about extreme Down’s syndrome here or something else?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RandomBlue posted:

Talking about if your IPD is above or below the recommended IPD range, then you're better off with the Quest IMO. Index supports 58-70mm, if you're within a couple mm of that it'll probably be fine but depends on personal preference.

Looks like I’m 59mm. I assume it’s fully good through that entire range, and not squishing into a stop toward the end of the range?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a game/sim where you fly by pushing toward your feet with your arms? Think Iron Man.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So what is it, like two hours to the mad rush for an index? I'm gonna go for it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah apparently I forgot how timezones work for a moment there, wtf.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

quote:

SirViver posted:

Three. The restock goes up at 10am, PDT.

You sure about that? Sale opening time is at 5pm UTC, which is in ~1h 15min from now.

E: Nevermind that. The forums software displays the wrong time for me.

Just refresh obsessively for like ten minutes every hour on the hour, it's the only way to be sure.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Got it in my cart but it won't get past the shipping info screen.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yep that's me. Guess I didn't need an Index anyways.

I mean, it actually gives me a "complete order" button with a deadline of tomorrow, so maybe I got one? I don't know.

quote:

Complete your purchase before your invoice expires on Mar 10, 2020 @ 12:00pm.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FBS posted:

It's a good thing I have the day off so I can sit here trying the shipping info screen for two hours

I telecommute from home so I'm all set for as long as it takes

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Poor steam store, gagging on all the money we're trying to cram down its throat. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh poo poo I got through too

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Same, I let it sit for 20 minutes and tried again and it went through

The key was to click harder I think.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh poo poo sorry guys I accidentally ordered 20 of them, maybe that's affecting the supplies

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Those of you that are apparently waitlisted, where does it say the estimated shipping date? I can't find any such thing anywhere and I don't know if that means mine is in limbo or if it means I got in on the limited available stock for round 1.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, doesn't say anything about a shipping date there, just says shipment status is processing. Whatever, I'll give it the week to settle out before worrying about it, is what it is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Penpal posted:

Yeah, mine's sitting in my purchase history like this:

So I guess I should be grateful I'm in the 2~4 week range.... I think I can hold off playing Alyx a couple of days if I complete the order and they arrive in late March. I'm more than likely gonna cave immediately tho and end up playing with the vive wands

Maybe I'm daft but I don't get any sort of "in-process orders" category on my order history, it's just a flat list of items. The top item being this:

And if I click through on "View Shipment Details" I get:

I got mine started (with the "complete this invoice by March 10" showing up) within the first ten minutes, and had successfully paid and had my confirmation email by 20 after the hour. v:confused:v

Ardryn posted:

I got in at 10:33 today and mine is stuck on processing so I guess I'm just hosed for two/four months.

Welcome to limbo, buddy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ardryn posted:

I can say I have Alyx just sitting in my library, it literally appeared with no fanfare the moment I completed my order.

No pre-loading yet though, it appears. I guess March 20 is still fairly far away.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m guessing that created the invoice which snagged your order. Then the actual payment was allowed more time to get sorted out. Makes sense if you know your store is going to get hammered, just do the easiest thing first and let the details get sorted after the rush.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a must-have list of apps/games for this Index I supposedly have coming my way? Games, experiences, utilities, etc. Fun one-offs to let the friends/family try out when they visit, actual games with a goal, whatever. Personally don’t really care much about pure sandbox play, but other than that, what’s immediately recommended?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, ha. Haven’t been back to the OP in a while. And I just always assume that an OP on a thread like this is perpetually out of date. I’ll take a look, thanks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lemming posted:

Lone Echo and Echo Arena
I'll have to sort out what I need to do to do Occulus stuff on my Index, I'll look into that, thanks.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I wish Beat Saber had a general demo. Everybody loves it but $30 is pretty steep to gamble when I'm lukewarm on regular rhythm games even if it might win me over in VR.
I was under the impression that with Steam's refund policy, every game is a full demo for some number of hours.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh poo poo you guys made me check aaaaaand

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'd still wager you're on track. If this change is just happening within the last few hours, it seems to indicate that anyone who says "processing" really did get in to the in-stock wave 1, as guessed. Congrats!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My index shipped, woo. Only going one state over so it should be here tomorrow, I’m stoked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blade Runner posted:

Welcome, new Index friends

It’s me, fedex handed me a box of coronavirus not even five minutes ago.