Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Good OP, I'm pretty sure the Index and Vive Pro both have mechanical IPD adjustment though, not software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

kojicolnair posted:

I bought the Quest last week and instantly returned it. I found it just not clear enough at all for my liking and now I just don't know what I want to get, I definitely want something though.

The index is tempting but I'm in Canada so I'd have to get my friend to send it to me which is risky if I have to RMA the stupid controllers. Tempted to risk it anyway.
Not clear enough? You made sure to adjust the IPD? The Quest isn't Index level visual quality, but it was a big step up from the Rift CV1.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

At some future point when VR hardware is more broadly understood and mature, splitting the thread would make sense. But we're not at that point yet imo

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Thrill of the Fight is out on Quest today, here's some gameplay: https://youtu.be/p0MuU-ZJNa4

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've heard good things and will probably pick it up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Just bought SynthRiders, anyone have any thoughts? I like The Genre, and grow impatient for Audica in my Quest.
Tried it last night, it's good! Obviously similar to Beat Saber, but different enough to be interesting. I like how it feels very dance-y, especially with the line sections. I think I like the music more than Beat Saber's OST1 tracks, at least.

Could use some quality of life improvements though. The transition between screens is bad, it takes too long and isn't smooth. Also there's no grade at the end of each track, just a point total, which makes it hard to know how well or poorly you did.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Tried Lambda1VR, was cool except for the part where playing for a while made me low grade nauseous for a long time. I haven't been playing smooth motion VR games so maybe, hopefully I can get used to it.

I'm jealous of my kid, he can Rec Room with smooth motion forever with no negative side effects.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hadlock posted:

The Quest is using a SOC originally designed in ~2014 and first to market in ~2015 IIRC, using a 2019 market chip might not be 25% better but I think Qualcomm has some VR specific stuff available in some of their SOC snapdragons now so my WAG is that 25% isn't exactly reaching for the stars here
The Snapdragon 835 was announced in Nov 2016, and the first phones with it launched in April 2017 according to a quick googling. CPU Benchmarks have the 855 being around 75% faster than the 835 according to this: https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks

GPU Benchmarks have the 855 being 50-90% faster: https://dev1.notebook-check.com/index.php?id=149363

RandomBlue posted:

Also we don't get 25% year over year CPU/SOC gains and haven't for almost a decade or more, despite what marketing might tell you.
Well, that's not what the benchmarks are showing. What data are you looking at?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Throwing more cores into SoCs is a nice way to pad benchmark numbers. Doesn't mean you can efficiency use them. Parallelizing algorithms is hard.
Not sure what data you're looking at, but what I linked to showed that the difference was about the same in single core vs multi core. Plus for GPU performance stuff is already parallelized.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

sethsez posted:

Yep, people are pissed because Valve barely releases games, so a big new release from them that people can't play without significant additional expense (and sometimes even that won't do it if they just don't have the physical space) was never gonna go over well initially. If a Half-Life continuation wasn't one of the holy grails of gaming people wouldn't be nearly as irritated.

I can only imagine what the reaction will be if it turns out to be actually great.
Gamers: I just don't see the point of VR, there's no killer app, what's the point even lol

Game company: *releases killer app*

Gamers: gently caress YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Truga posted:

so here's a dumb question: how dead is phone/cardboard VR?
It's very dead. Google gave up on it. Oculus stopped working on Gear VR. I guess recent Samsung phones still work with it? But personally I wouldn't bother with anything that doesn't support 6DOF. I have a Daydream and honestly it sucked.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hope everyone's ready for the world's great portal gun-themed digital card game! In VR!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, modern games do half life stuff better than half life did
Really? I haven't found one. In particular, both Half-Lifes nail the balance between action, puzzle-solving, and exploration, all while having a reasonably well-executed narrative that sets the mood and feels immersive without being so in your face and time-consuming with cutscenes that it gets annoying.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

You don't remember the many physics puzzles in Half-Life 2? Swinging a crane around, putting down planks on the sand to avoid the ant lions, etc?

edit: also this one with the weights and ramp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iib5XsGAUdw

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 20, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

They weren't as interesting as Portal physics puzzles, but I liked how they broke up the action parts and made the world feel more interactive and real.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Boneworks is a game in Unity, it isn't an engine. Its just a small team.
Engine is an ambiguous term, if they re-used the physics/interactivity code in another game, you could reasonably call it an engine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TACD posted:

I don't understand what this means. The Index controllers have several buttons you can click?
Probably means that there's no grip button like on the Touch controllers.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I have a lot of family coming over for Thanksgiving and I feel like this thing is gonna be a smash hit. The problem is one of my dick-head friends, I'm pretty sure who, decided to enter slurs over and over again on the Space Pirate Trainer leaderboard and I didn't notice until today. Looking around it seems like there's no way for me to wipe the board of this poo poo and I don't even know if totally clearing it off the machine and redownloading it over their meager remote-village DSL connection will even do it. Does anyone know how I can do this?
Have you not actually tried deleting and reinstalling yet?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's more dance-y than Beat Saber imo and the OST is vastly superior.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If I was the Beat Saber devs I'd probably sell too, and I'm not sure there's a better big company around for that in the VR space than Facebook. I mean Valve would definitely be better, but I feel like they wouldn't be interested in this case.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Having a pentile screen means lower effective resolution due to fewer subpixels. The Quest and the Index have the same nominal resolution, but part of why the Index looks clearer IIRC is that it's full stripe.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

if the only vr stuff I’ve done is PSVR, is quest going to be a notable improvement in graphical quality (especially via link, since it’ll be hooked up to a really beefy pc?)
Depends on what you mean by graphical quality. Resolution is higher, so things should be clearer. But it's weaker in terms of CPU and GPU, so expect fewer polygons, simpler textures, fewer snazzy effects like complex lighting, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nowadays a 1060 and a decent CPU will get you going in VR
Why would you buy a 1060 instead of a 1660? Used?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m just talking lowest common denominator. A 1060 is a lot cheaper than a 1660
Last I checked the 1060 was more expensive and slower. Looking at Amazon it looks like the stock of them is trailing off anyway, which makes sense.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

How sturdy is the Quest generally? Going to Florida in a couple weeks for the holidays and my sisters want to try it, but I dunno if I want to risk my expensive piece of tech by shoving it in a suitcase. Is there some sort of carrying case people use?
There's an official case that's worked fine for me. I've also packed it sans case and it's been fine. Maybe surround it with clothes in the suitcase.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

When can I karate chop blocks in beat saber with my bare hands?
That's basically BoxVR and Synth Riders, isn't it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Welcome to VR and please stop jumping to conclusions.
You can get across this sentiment without coming across as an abrasive dick.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Boneworks on the Quest is fun when I'm not getting 5 fps. Think my 1060 is overheating because hoo boy

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Do they expect you to finish the 6 hour campaign all in one go?
You can jump to scenes but yes it's very stupid. Don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah the lack of saving is absolutely bizarre and terrible

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah but at the same time I feel like Valve would probably do a better job with the IK. Like in Boneworks it just looks bad/wrong so frequently it's not a matter of edge cases where it's near impossible to guess correctly, even the general case looks not so well implemented. Not mad about it or anything since it's an indie team, but pretty sure Valve would do it better.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hit a stuck puzzle in Boneworks. A thing I needed to move clipped on another thing and they were entangled with each other and neither would move anymore. Guess that's the downside of complicated physics.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lemming posted:

they pointed out that a majority of people set their ipd wrong on their headsets anyway, so even if you have ipd sliders it doesn't help them.
I mean isn't the better response there to help them set it correctly? Rather than just going, "well people usually hosed this setting up, guess we'll just remove it and doom half the population to a less-comfortable experience". Hell, eventually if we have eye tracking you could probably just tell the users what their IPD is.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ugh won't let me order if it's set to Germany. It does work for France, this is an outrage!!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Facebook withdrew the Quest from sale in Germany a month or so ago because of pending lawsuits resulting from their switch from Oculus to Facebook accounts.
Huh, maybe I'll order it when it shows up on amazon.fr or something then.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

We have a Quest 1 and are thinking about buying a Quest 2. What's the situation with accounts and multiplayer there? Like, will I need to re-buy games to play them by myself or for us to do multiplayer on the two headsets together?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm in the beta for Swarm now, which is a wave shooter where you spiderman around using grapple guns. It's under NDA so I won't share details, but I can share that it's really rad and fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CjNgb9yvsA

Comes out April 8th.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Barfiness level is "moderate" so far for me. It doesn't seem as barfy as Jet Island (which I loved, other than it making me sick), but yeah there's some impact on my stomach for sure. Maybe less than might be expected based on the amount and type of motion though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lemming posted:

I really hate this problem. I'm trying to be active and respond to peoples' reports, but it's clearly not enough. Next step is I'm going to make the in game reporting more granular, so you can choose reasons (hate speech/bigotry, griefing, hacking, etc), and then hopefully take more automatic action based on if the person gets reported in multiple rooms or something (to prevent a room just ganging up on someone and falsely reporting them) but I doubt that'll be enough either.

One idea I'm kicking around is basically flagging more trusted accounts (people who have shown themselves to be reasonable or to have reported a decent number of people or whatever) such that if they report certain things, the offender is automatically banned and kicked from the room, basically like in game community moderators. I feel like this also might be apocalyptically stupid but there's been like almost 200 thousand people playing, so any system with a single point of action is hosed from the get go

On some level I think it's because most games absolutely do not give any fucks at all about people doing that kind of thing and people just think it's fine to do. I bet huge swaths of people would cut it out if they thought any action would actually be taken, but also if I do take action they still aren't gonna know *other* people are getting banned for it, so they'll still do it like they do in any other games. It's totally hosed unless games start doing something about it as a whole, but I'm still gonna keep trying
Oh, you're the gorilla tag dev? Nice. Yeah, love playing this, my son and his friends like it too. It's a real shame about the kids constantly going "n----- n----- n----- n----- n----- n-----" etc. They're everywhere. Even my son, who probably swears too much IRL, talks about how it's full of kids just constantly swearing. Makes it harder to recommend, in spite of the awesome gameplay.

I'd definitely sign up if you're gonna start deputizing goons btw.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I've always found throwing things in VR to be insanely hit or miss. Either I feel like poo poo is sticking to my hand, dropping at my feet or flying in the wrong direction...but then some games just nail it. Sparc, the sci fi handball game from the EVE devs had such fantastic throwing. It's a shame it didn't catch on more.
Yup. More examples, Superhot has poo poo throwing, whereas the throwing in In Death and Ancient Dungeon is fantastic.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lockback posted:

Oculus is really into the "That's a good idea, we're going to make our version and give it away" thing. That's probably better for the consumer but must suck for the VD guy though.
They've been talking about wireless tethering for a while and it's a super obvious way to go. Regular rear end consumers were talking about the possibility since the Quest was announced, there was never any chance they wouldn't go there eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

Are there any assymetric multiplayer games where like the vr player is playing a different game from the desktop players? I know about Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, but it’s such a cool design space, though I get it’s probably way too niche.
Yeah, there's the squirrel game: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2345082335516570/?locale=en_US

Though the non-VR players there are on mobile devices, not PC I think.