Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
FedEx is pretty worthless. When delivering mine, their estimate kept waffling between a Monday and Tuesday, then they made a surprise delivery attempt to the wrong address on Sunday. At least, I assume they did because there was no door tag, and I was home when they claimed to have tried.

So, uh, pray I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

Beat Saber is starting to annoy me with the uneven difficulty. Why some songs I can do on Hard mode on the first try, and others I need to play them 4 times in the slowed speed setting.

There's a difficulty curve over the course of the OST songs. In my experience, a Vol.3 song on Normal is about equivalent to a Vol.1 song on Hard, and the DLC songs lean towards the hard end of that spectrum.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The only thing Superhot VR has outside of the campaign is "the campaign again, with restrictions" and endless mode.

I loved the campaign, but did not find myself compelled to play those other offerings.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

wyoak posted:

Does Boneworks still have the long sections between saves or did they patch that?

I think a patch is supposed to be coming in January. I'm waiting until then to pick it up, because I really don't like the idea of losing 90 minutes of progress because the level is 2 hours and I ran out of time.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My review of H3VR Take & Hold.

Ok, how the gently caress do I load this gun? Pull back the bolt, put in the bullets, click the.... no, they just fell out. Slide the... it's not sliding. Ok, turn the bolt, slide it back, put in the bullets, gently caress. Let's try this with the other hand. Turn the bolt, slide it back, put in the bullets, push the bullets further in, slide the bolt, turn the bolt. Does this thing have a safety? Let's see... left touchpad, nothing. Top touchpad, I think I heard a click. BLAM. Ok, chamber another round and let's go find me some hotdogs to slay.

[2 minutes of running around hallways]

Ok, time to cap some motherfuckers. BLAMMO, haha that was sick. Ok, slide the bolt to chamber another round, click the trigger... gently caress, why is the bolt stuck back, I let go when it was forward. gently caress, they're shooting at me, slide the bolt.... and I'm dead.

[Respawn]

Ok, how the gently caress do I load this gun?

9/10

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Happyimp posted:

Have you been to the sampler or the range yet? H3vr is definitely a game you need to figure out the basics of the gun types before you try actually playing the game modes

Yeah, the first thing I did was go through the sampler. But there are enough guns that deviate from the basics of their archetype that that I still get tripped up.

My biggest problem is just fumbling to reload while under fire. Revolver Ocelot, I am not. Especially when the game doesn't think I let go of the bolt after I've chambered a round and ends up dragging it halfway back before I notice and have to do it all over again. My best so far is 1.5 holds, the one time I lucked into a semi-automatic pistol.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm pretty sure the only Index part built in the US is the lighthouses.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My Index controllers finally became unusable, so I'm back to Vive wands until Valve gets back to me with RMA info. When I first got the Index controllers I thought they were nice, but not that big a step up, but it's one of those steps up that you really feel when you have to step back down, like going from 1440p back to 1080p, or Windows 10 to Windows 7.

These things are huge and heavy and bulky and it sucks having to hold on to them the whole time.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Bad Munki posted:

As I'm considering an index, can you go into detail on the failure here?

Both of them have hosed joysticks, but what actually triggered the RMA was that the right controller stopped charging. When I plug it in, the light flashes orange for a fraction of a second and then goes dark and stays dark.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The launch batch didn't sell out until Half Life Alyx was announced, though. I got bad controllers in early November.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I've been playing Boneworks, and one thing keeps going through my head.

This one sentence review of Red Steel (2006, Wii):

quote:

The adventures of Rubber Arm The Awkward rear end in a top hat versus the army of men with no blood.

6/10

Not far off. Just bump it up a point and pluralize "Arm".

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Two things I learned watching the Tested interview.

HL:Alyx still simulates arms, it just doesn't display them. So that you can't do something silly like close a door with your hand on the other side. Also, when you teleport, the game models you pathing through the space in between point A and point B, so the AI still gets to see you move and react to it.

I'm feeling confident that Alyx will be both fun and comfortable.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

First-wave sticks came from Steam's factories in the US, the only dodgy thing there came from some of them having sticks not clicking in. Subsequent units came from a Chinese factory to ramp up production and those are the ones with drifty sticks (and why Coronavirus is now a factor in them not being available in sufficient quantities).

First wave controllers have drifty sticks even more so than second wave, and I don't think the manufacturing location changed. Pretty sure it was always China. The part they were manufacturing in the US, IIRC, is the lighthouses.

Based on the data we have available, the date when the click fix was made is approximately August 1st (+/- a week). FWIW, I got my Index in November, with controllers manufactured in early July/late June, which had non-clicky sticks. I eventually RMA'd them, and got a set manufactured in August, with fully clicky sticks.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

HycoCam posted:

I wear my non-progressive lens in the headset and things look great and everything is readable. I'd like to stop wearing glasses inside the HMD and folks in the thread have mentioned a few places that make lenses. Oculus recommends FramesDirect. But saw a post about https://vr-lens.eu/ being the best (which appears to be https://vroptician.com/). And there seems to be several other vendors too like https://vr-lens-lab.com.

Is there one vendor that is considered the best? Anyone specifically to avoid? Thanks for any input.

I don't have any personal experience (yet), but researched this last week and went with vroptician. My lenses are currently being manufactured. Here is one person's review of all 3 major vendors:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7v63o1/my_review_of_the_vr_lens_lab_vrlenseu_and_widmovr/

Most of the other reviews I found were more or less in agreement. VROptician is the best, WIDMOvr is also good, VR Lens Lab is iffy.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Alyx is great. Valve really nailed the feel of the interactions. Gravity gloves feel extremely natural to use after only a few minutes, and interacting with physics objects feels much more natural than in Boneworks. I feel like they may be doing a little bit of aim assist/"do what I meant" for throwing stuff, where they modify the trajectory to be more in line with where you're looking, because I'm way better at throwing in Alyx than I was in Boneworks or H3VR. I also suspect they may be doing the thing Resident Evil 4 does where they adjust the rate of putting ammo/health pickups in the world based on your performance, to keep you at a tense but comfortable level of supplies at all times, which I appreciate.

It is, however, the first VR game that's made me feel like my 1080 is showing its age. It defaulted to the lowest graphical settings, and even then there are occasional stutters.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

Gtx 1080 mate here, with a small factory OC, it defaulted to High for me. I moved it to ultra because gently caress the police and it works fine (well maaaybe 2 super brief slowdowns in 70 minutes of play).
I have a amd 3700x, maybe that's the difference?

Could be. I have an i5-4670K, so that could very well be a bottleneck. I plan to do a full rebuild later this year when the RTX 3XXX series is out.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Lemming posted:

Edit: although I would like to emphasize that the weapon switching is basically just inexcusably bad in my opinion, clicking the joystick to see a floating hud and make everything magically appear and disappear in your hand is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned. I know they wanted no visible IK body and arms but god honestly it was just straight up a bad decision, I'll fight anyone on that

OK, let's fight!

First, I'm guessing you're on Oculus? With knuckles, it's a trackpad click rather than joystick, and feels quite smooth. I can definitely see where a joystick click would be annoying (maybe remap it to the B button and chamber rounds manually?). But I really can't imagine preferring a holster system. In Boneworks, the holsters were a source of constant annoyance. I'd frequently end up losing a weapon because I thought I holstered it but actually just dropped it on the ground and moved on (and was in a noisy area so I didn't notice the missing sound effect). I'd often have to try multiple times to pull out a weapon. And if I'm crouching? The fuckers just straight up don't work, because the holster spots on the IK body are no longer anywhere near any part of my actual body.

At a more fundamental level, I think we have different perspectives on where immersion comes from. You seem (and correct me if I'm wrong) to feel immersed when things in VR work like they do in real life, so having to do game-y things takes you out of the experience. From my perspective, I'm immersed when the game UI gets out of my way and lets me do the cool poo poo I want to do without having to fight against it. Alyx's weapon select menu is fast, easy, and I can use it without looking, so it keeps me in the game.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Thoom posted:

It is, however, the first VR game that's made me feel like my 1080 is showing its age. It defaulted to the lowest graphical settings, and even then there are occasional stutters.

Update: For work-related reasons, I ended up upgrading my CPU from an i5-4670K to a Ryzen 3900X, and now Alyx defaults to high settings and runs great.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

Steam has updated the VR stats, more devices appears with their own names.

I have a hard time believing that approximately the same number of people are using Oculus Link as are hooking PSVRs up to their PCs.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Looking forward to replaying Tetris Effect when it comes to Steam. Its Epic exclusivity should be up in a little over two months. I don't normally have any issue buying games from Epic, but for VR games it feels wrong.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

Not sure if I should put this here or in the ADTRW forum...
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2777747298928983/?locale=ja_JP

They're grossly off-theme if even a single one of the minigames is winnable.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

RFC2324 posted:

Everything can use steam, Oculus store is technically exclusive, but there are ways to use those with non-oculus headsets as long as its not for the Quest

With the caveat that some games have performance issues when run through Revive. Most notably, Stormland.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Can anybody who has a deeper understanding of graphics technology explain how this is different from Nvidia's DLSS 2.0? Seems like it combines the same basic ingredients of low resolution render and motion vectors, plus neural network.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I have to wonder if the level of upscaling just reflects the size of the neural net involved. Nvidia's solution does a 4x upscale on a GTX 2060 at 60+ fps. Facebook's does a 16x upscale on a Titan V at 40fps.

Either solution probably requires some adaptation and specialized hardware to do at mobile scale.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is the new stuff a separate purchase, or will it be a free upgrade for people who already have the game?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I don't want to touch my eyeballs, and I definitely don't want them sliced open by some surgeon while I watch helplessly, so VR Optician it is.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I definitely wouldn't risk buying games on a fake account that could get deleted at any time. I also wouldn't make a real account.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

EbolaIvory posted:

Pretty much. I can't think of anything atm that isn't accessible that way.

Does Stormland perform well with Revive yet?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I remember hearing the next Elite expansion won't support VR, but I'm not super clear on how that effects existing players. Does that mean VR players won't be allowed to land on planets or consume new expansion content, or does it mean they're dropping VR support entirely?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Combat Pretzel posted:

For anyone that is getting hosed by Valve's ball dragging in regards to unreliable power management on the Lighthouses 2.0 on the latest Windows release, here's an Android app (not sure whether it got linked already): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jeroen1602.lighthouse_pm

Annoyingly, neither of the apps that do this support the 1.0 Vive lighthouses, which I assume have the same problem.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

wolrah posted:

Amusingly my 1.0 Lighthouses' power management is more reliable than it's ever been before since the 2004 update. I went years manually plugging and unplugging them, but 2004 fixed everything and they've worked perfectly every time since.

Based on this I decided to try taking the 2004 plunge. SteamVR can still wake up my basestations just fine, but it's only able to put one of them to sleep.

So, back to manual plugging/unplugging.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish Beat Saber had more people do mapping at difficulties that aren’t extreme/extreme+. The music really needs more variety.

That, and I wish there was a more consistent definition of the difficulties. I've seen "extreme" songs that play anywhere between "OST1 Normal" and "how is it physically possible for a person to react or move their arms that fast!?"

Blocks per second seems to be a better proxy for difficulty most of the time, but gets hosed up easily by songs with long stretches of nothingness followed by colored block diarrhea.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

nah thanks posted:

:staredog:

EDIT: I really don't understand their push for Facebook integration in light of their stated belief that VR/AR is the future of work. COVID has given remote work a huge push, and they absolutely have an enormous opportunity here, but personal Facebook integration is a non-starter for any enterprise application for the hardware.

Announcing the Oculus Quest 2: Enterprise Edition. Same headset, can't play games, no Facebook login required. Starting at $699.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

DrBox posted:

Does anyone know if the Oculus link cable is directional? I'm planning to pick up a couple magnetic usb c adaptors but it will already be a 90 degree angle so I'll want to use the straight end on the headset side if I can.

I bought a micro usb adapter for my wireless PC headset(Corsair Void) and it's a gamechanger for something you charge often.

Magnetic USB adapters are bad news. Most of them won't transmit data at all, the few that do require perfect angular alignment so you lose the benefit of being easier to plug in, and I'd be surprised if any transmit at full USB3+ rate. Also, I'm pretty sure a set of magnetic adapters burned out the batteries on my Index controllers (and one unlucky DualShock 4) and required me to replace them.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
If the Apple HMD has 8k per eye as rumored and good optics it might cross the threshold into being a decent monitor replacement. What annoys me about it is that given everything about how Apple is, not only will it not have anything like Oculus Link or Virtual Desktop, Apple probably won't allow that stuff inside their walled garden at all.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

PC VR gaming depresses me, because since VD got the performance monitor, I'm seeing how even games that aren't super advanced graphically can't reach the 90fps. Until you Fall runs at 70fps! My gtx 1080 is aging fast.

If this wasn't bothering you before you turned on the performance monitor, maybe it doesn't matter as much as the performance monitor would lead you to think it does.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is there something I'm missing about the combat in Moss? The rest of the game is delightful, but whenever I get to a combat arena it just turns into a slog. I'll grab a beetle with my hand, but as soon as I hit it, it breaks the stun and often immediately counter-hits. It feels like they have a weak spot under their wings that I could reveal and take advantage of if I knew the right gesture, but I don't.

Do I just need to be dodging more and using my hands mainly for crowd control or something?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah, hands are more for cc rather than attacking setups. The combat is pretty light (it's meant to be a chill game, really) and actually gets a bit easier as you progress. Once you get one sword upgrade the basic enemies take one basic combo to kill and it's more of an endurance item after that.

Yeah, I have the sword upgrade now and stuff dies faster. Just felt like there was a little something missing early on, which could have bitten me if there was a whole mechanic I was ignoring by brute forcing the combat.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The part in the Jeff chapter where you open the cabinet to get the power cell and a bottle starts slowly rolling towards the edge is so simple but so effective and is the kind of game design space where VR truly shines. It's a unique bit of gameplay that they don't have to telegraph or tutorialize at all. You just know you have to catch it, so you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Spent an hour dicking around in NomaiVR, the Outer Wilds VR mod. It's insanely impressive for something that a fan hacked into the game. You use your gadgets by retrieving them from your toolbelt with motion controls, and the spaceship UX is reworked so that the landing camera is just another instrument panel that you can look down at after you turn it on. Overall, it's a higher effort VR port than Resident Evil 7, and it's a handful of QOL and control fixes away from being an experience I would recommend to anyone. Anyone who has really strong VR legs, anyway.

The main two things that were problematic for me were the jetpack controls (especially in zero-G, where forward is oriented based on your suit rather than based on your look direction, but there isn't really anything to orient you with that other than discovering that you're not going where you wanted to, and spinning around until you are) and the weird use of the grip button as a modifier for a bunch of things, which works really poorly on knuckles, but at the same time I couldn't figure out any better thing to bind that to without breaking the rest of the control scheme. It's one of those rare games that I think would be better on Oculus or Vive wands.

It also suffers slightly from issues of scale because the game wasn't designed for VR, so everything looks *huge*.