Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think HTC's really trying to make the Cosmos A Thing, because there were several used in PAX-AUS's VR Free-Play area this year. Looked like there might've been tracking issues with all of them sadly, as everyone seemed to be favouring one hand heavily for Job Simulator and tucking the other controller out of tracking range.

To be clear; it looks like it works fine when the tracking wants to behave, it's just that it looks awful prone to misbehaving. There were Rift S's in use everywhere too that were working without issue.

Pimax is entirely a kickstarted business. It looks to be doing okay, but it's one of those things that if it vanished overnight in a puff of bankruptcy nobody would be surprised.

Remember the level of whining about Rift S tracking when it first came out? So as unsurprising as it is that HTC haters would instantly dismiss the Cosmos as a complete dud, this thread should at least attempt some degree of balance if it is to be an accurate source of info for VR newbies.

Rift S tracking didnt get good until a number of updates had been pushed out, lets see how HTC go now that they are in the same position. The Cosmos at least deserves some information in the OP other than outright dismissal.

And i say this as a Rift S owner. Which brings me onto another point that seems to get overlooked, the Quests sole selling point is freedom from being tethered to a set playing area. Which is great if you have a desktop PC. So what if you have a gaming laptop which these days are easily capable of the CPU/GPU grunt to drive VR?

The Quest doesnt have quite the same advantage when you can already get your VR on instantly anywhere within reach of a power point. Hence me still going for the S despite knowing the Q link was a thing. I think that needs to be pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
For sure, im not saying no one should criticise the pricing or whatever other aspects objectively (hell, i have...) but my point is the Rift S was in a similar position when it came out and now 6 months on with lots of tweaking its turned out to be a great headset.

The Cosmos has been out, all of 2 weeks and HTC has already acknowledged issues and pushed out at least one update. Lets at least give it some space in the OP and see how it goes...

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 12, 2019

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Pretty happy with this, just a pair of headphones and a small screwdriver and Rift S lovely sound is gone

No 3D printed bits or ridiculously expensive kits either.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 18, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Is there something I’m missing with the whole Quest/Rift S & Facebook paranoia thing?

You don’t have to put any personally identifiable information or even a Facebook account in to use these things, so what’s the big deal?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Huh?

I have friends on my oculus account without facebook? Am I missing something? Did I get grandfathered?

Gonna have to try and add someone today. >_>

Clearly im an outlier as i have a Rift S, a couple of dozen VR-specific games and am yet to be struck by any required link to FB or request for identifiable information

Having said that my entire collection exists in the Steam environment, have seen no need to buy anything from the Oculus store

:shrug:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
So i managed to break my Rift S

Finished a late-night gaming session, took it off and left it on the couch thinking it’d put it away in the morning.

Got up about 9am, had breakfast etc, then freaked out when i noticed i had left it in exactly the right position for the sun to stream in through the window behind the couch and right into the lenses...

Yep, two permanent dark streaks on the LCD panel :(

Luckily Oculus/FB have been good, i managed to arrange a return and replacement under warranty, though given the current situation i’ll probably be VR-less for a few weeks

tl;dr - don’t let the sun see your headset lenses!

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
If you buy the right on-ear headphones you can literally pull the cans off and strap then straight on to the Rift S, no addon kits or 3D printed parts required...

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I liked the horror parts of Stalker so that's good to hear.

The part where that thing teleports you from the other end of a corridor* was scary enough in pancake mode, i cant imagine how freaked out that would be in VR

*excuse my possibly dodgy recollection, it was a long time ago

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's tied to the Hololens 2 in any way like the original WMR headsets were, they might not have a choice in the matter.

The Rift S tracking with 5 cams seems about as rock-solid as you could want (despite what all the Index-having elitists will tell you) so the 4 camera of the Reverb 2 is the only concern i have as a potential next-step upgrade to the S

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Sony MDR-ZXxx and a small screwdriver.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

:toot: I am finally getting in on the PCVR world. Very Excited. My friend is selling me a relatively new VR ready laptop for extremely cheap so I ordered a Rift today.

Just a quick question. It appears it exceeds the minimum system requirements to play Half Life Alyx, but not the recommended specs.

intel i7-8750h cpu @ 2.20 ghz
nvidia gtx 1070 GDDR5 @ 8GB (256 bit)
16gb ram

I know fuckall about PC gaming, so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect about how well HL: Alyx will run and how suitable this will be for VR in general. As far as I can tell I know it's not going to give me a bleeding edge experience but it should be fine in general?

This is exactly the spec of my gaming laptop, Alyx will run fine (and look great) on reasonably good gfx settings, though fps will drop noticeably in some of the larger open spaces so you may want to adjust to suit

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 30, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Is is normal that I have to unplug and plug my rift s back in every time I boot up? Sometimes 2-3 times. It always says that either the USB or optical is not detected until I redo it. It doesn't seem like an uncommon problem after googling it but I'd sure like to know why it's happening and how to stop it.

At least it works fine once it connects but it's a pain and does not seem normal.

Mine does this too. Booting up with it plugged in invariably results in the Oculus app saying its not connected.

Unplug/replug and it detects it straight away

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I know its probably cold comfort at this point but if youre not above a bit of dodgy 'shopping of your ID/drivers license its easy to create and keep a FB account under pretty much any name. The FB monkeys dont appear to do any cross-checking.

Suffice to say my FB account for the past 6 years or whatever is something similar to HUGH JARSE/ IVOR BIGGUN etc

The other point to make is 3 years is a long time if youre a current RiftS/Quest owner - the original Rift has only just been around for longer than that. I should think many here will be well onto their next VR headset by then.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 20, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Reverb 2 will be $1100 aussie pesos, pre-orders next week

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Has anyone seen any details on the Reverb G2 connectivity? My understanding is it uses USB-C and standard Displayport - im assuming that means it needs both, not "you dont need the Displayport connection if you have Thunderbolt USB-C"?

Thats going to be a dealbreaker for me if so as i already use the one USB-C port on my laptop with an adaptor to get a Displayport connection :(

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I fixed it

With the newer version of those Sonys you can take the band apart and mount the earpieces directly to the headset

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

I feel like I’m wearing the rift wrong if you guys have your ears that far below the band.... none of my over ear headphones are anywhere close to being able to fit comfortably.

Its more likely that i just have a big head :gbsmith:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
was about to post this

man... at aud1100 it was doable but happy to wait until reviews came out, now at aud900..... aww geez!

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I remember before it came out i was willing to give HTC the benefit of the doubt

How silly was I?

Anyhoo if i pick up a G2 i also need to factor in a new laptop to run it

This is going to be a very spendy exercise. Still, YOLO!

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Jezus the amount of FUD in here is ridiculous

It is literally trivial to create a fake account in FB

FB is not a government entity, it cannot access centralised records to cross-check anything. My FB account has both names that are blatantly not real - how did this happen? - a drivers license, a scanner and photoshop. There is no "link" to me, i blurred out my address and any other identifiable information on the license and they still accepted it.

Hell i probably couldve Googled for a funny license pic, created an account, sent them that and they would have accepted that too

If you re worried that they might delete your account then what makes a real-name account so secure? The same fakeable ID?

I mean yeah i get it, lovely company. But lol if the only reason youre holding out on a Quest is because of this poo poo

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 17, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
buy Quest
create fake account
if asked for ID, provide ID

its not hard

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

They may not be the government but they have algorithms to detect suspicious patterns.

Just because you've managed doesn't mean other people haven't had issues, dude.

I have a fake name, my wife has a fake name and several of my friends, and all have been using their accounts for years

Hell, i just did a FB search for "ROFLBOT" and got like a dozen matches

This isnt the big thing its being made out to be.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those accounts aren't really "fake" then, if they're all tied together socially.

No, but it proves the FB account thing is not the big hurdle its being made out to be. Whether you choose to use that account for genuine social interaction or just to use a VR device doesnt really matter.

Any data that you think can be gleaned from you being friends with User 7743278 and User 9932667 is rendered useless by HUGH JANUS not actually existing.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Making sweeping generalizations from your sample size of 3-4 isn't good dude

are you insinuating i only have 3 or 4 friends? :smith:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aside from all those neat little data points directing to IP addresses at your physical location, along with whatever else they might have to the tune of whatever you're using to pay for Oculus games with.

Right, so the logical conclusion of this argument is that FB already *knows* these accounts are not real names..... yet does not delete them.

Thats one argument against Quest ownership shot down.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your exact argument was "Just make a fake account, they'll never know its you".

It isn't "they know they're not real names", it's "they know they're not real names because they already know your real name.

I dont know what to tell you guy?

If your barrier to Quest ownership is "i dont want my name on FB", - you can.
If your barrier to Quest ownership is "what if they delete my account?" - they wont.
If your barrier to Quest ownership is "i dont want any personally identifiable information on the internet" - best unplug and go live under a rock?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you talk to every person you meet about if they have a fake facebook account? You made it sound like it was just your family and a couple close friends who had the fake accounts.

I dunno about the attached Oculus accounts if they existed, but fake FB accounts get closed all the time dude. This is denial. Its definitely a non-zero amount. Unarguably.

I have no reason to think im some weird outlier who just happens to know an overly large group of people who dont use their real names on FB.

Go and look through the member list of any large FB group and tell me there arent a bunch of names that arent real. This is not edge-case stuff.

Do a search for blatantly obvious fake-name accounts - the aforementioned Hugh Janus, Busta Gut, etc etc - you will be scrolling through accounts that are clearly not bots for pages.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They will. Yours aren't deleted because they're actually being used for Facebook, you just think you're somehow evading the system with a pseudonym (you're not, lol). A proper fake Facebook account would be one that just sits doing nothing except accumulating Oculus game purchases, and that can get dinged because Facebook can't make a link between those purchases and a Facebook user acting like a real person.

Guess what my FB account does? gently caress all. Pretty sure theres nothing in the TOS that says you need to make a minimum number of posts/likes/whatever. Think about it, its not in FB interest to delete accounts other than for the usual fake news/hate speech etc... and theyre not even good at that...

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Completely and utterly wrong. Facebook might not ban hate speech and fake news, but they absolutely have the tools to nuke that poo poo on-demand if it wasn't such a big money-earner for them. Fake accounts that just get a few Oculus purchases are not revenue-making products for them.

You may not do a lot with your Facebook account, but I'd bet good money it's doing a whole lot to track you elsewhere by association.

Again, i dont know what to tell you but if FB are nuking low-value fake accounts theyre not doing a very good job of it.

This conversation reminded me of another fake account i set up 6 years ago (i think it was to autologin to some website, IDK)

The profile has no friends, no personal info, no photos (other than the profile one you can see posted below), no posts and only a handful of likes for some bands for whatever reason.

Here is what the activity log looks like

Hasnt been logged in to for 6 years until today (back when i used to use one pw for everything!) Zero data value to FB. Still exists. If that is what is required to use a Quest or whatever, i dont see that as a bridge too far. Maybe you do, fine dont buy one.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

TACD posted:

It's fairly hilarious watching everybody trip over themselves to make excuses for Facebook so they can get a $300 VR headset when just a few weeks ago everybody was so outraged that Facebook hosed them over in a way they'd pinky-promised not to.

Honestly don’t care either way mate, my next headset will likely be a G2 - i have no interest in a Quest. What i am pointing out is this idea that you have no choice other than to use a FB account with all your bona-fide personal details as if there is literally no way to game FB at all, is rubbish.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A pseudonym for a Facebook account, that you're actively using for actual Facebook purposes, is about as effective as a false moustache. You're really not as clever as you think with this one and have gamed squat.

Did you miss the part where i posted my other fake still-active account, the one with no information in it, no activity, no posts, no logins for 6 years?

why yes, you did.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
No, they wont.

Accounts get banned for posting violations or being determined to be bots, not for a lack of content.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We've been over this; They can and have been. Your old fake account can't be hit by their algorithm, but recent ones absolutely can be, and your "fake" accounts used by you and your friends are just constantly generating data points doing far more to ID all of you than your name alone would give.

OP does not mention anything about a fake account (whatever you choose that to mean). The question is about whether a "low content" account would be banned.

If you think even FB would dumb enough to risk the PR disaster that would be thousands of Quest-buyers having their accounts wiped literally for not posting enough (especially given their "algorithms" cant even catch all of these anyway) we really have reached next-level FUD

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 22, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I started in pancake mode and got several hours into the game, quite enjoyed it. Then i got my Rift S but at that stage the NMS VR experience didnt really grab me - havent touched it since.

With this new update (and a G2 on the way) i might get back into it again.

Also tried Vivecraft last night, awesome! Makes up for Mojang/MS shafting me on the free Windows version (that supports VR)

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

WirelessPillow posted:

I feel like you could just buy a powerful laptop with a good battery and strap it in a baby carrier for cheaper.

If PCVR does continue to be a thing and doesnt just stall at the G2 and Index, laptops for VR are going to be the next stumbling block. The gulf between desktop GPU performance and laptop GPU performance was bad enough with the RTX2xxx series and only looks to be even worse with the 3000 series.

Gaming Laptops are typically running around 200-250w total system power, and thats with many struggling with thermal management as it is. When a desktop 3080 consumes about 330w on its own, there just no way the laptop versions arent going to be massively nerfed.

I think those purpose-designed backpacks like that HP are probably a good solution if they free up portable form factors from the limitations of laptop design

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PCVR is very much a thing, I think the problem is we're kinda in a lull between development cycles right this instant. Samsung's thing is probably still cooking (and almost certainly delayed by COVID as everything else has been), Sony's thing is at least a year out even if it's just PSVR2, and the Reverb G2 suggests there might be a new WMR HDK floating around but who knows when it went out and how long whoever might have it has had time to play with it.

I think so too, that comment was more in the context of the discussion above about the scenario of FB controlling the VR market.

I havent had a desktop PC for years and with the Rift S proving inside-out tracking VR can be pretty drat decent i see no reason to change that, save for laptop performance hitting a power and thermal management brick wall.

Truga posted:

99% of PCVR stuff runs on a gtx 1060 equivalent tho?? you definitely don't need a 300w card, i'm still on an olde 980ti and the only things i play that don't run well are things where vr was tacked on after the fact

You might be able to get away with a 1060 with the first gen headsets or the Rift S but trying to push 2160 x 2160 per eye on a G2 is going to take considerably more GPU grunt.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 27, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For those of you with NMS performance issues in VR, I may have stumbled on a fix.

Mine ran pretty poorly after this update, with lots of stuttering and reprojection. I assumed it was SteamVR cranking the SS up to 150% again, but when I dug in it wasn’t that.

Turns out that by default NMS VR is hugely single-core, so once it maxes out that core, it’s done, performance-wise. Thankfully you can change that in a config file

In the NMS folder in your Steam games directory, find
/binaries/settings/TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.VR.MXML

in that file will be two values, “NumHighThreads” and “NumLowThreads”

The key seems to be to set it to use all threads minus one for the OS/SteamVR/Whatever.

So if you, like me, have a 12 logical core processor, you’d want to reserve one for SteamVR, giving you 11 cores left. You then set NumLowThreads to 1, leaving you 10 cores, so you then set NumHighThreads to 10

A 16 core would get low cores of 1 and high cores of 14 and so on.

This took the game from a hitchy stuttery mess to 90fps nearly all the time for me. Well worth it if you want to explore some planets

I think YMMV on this one, i have a 6-core CPU, when i opened up that file mine was set to 3 high, 6 low. Set to 4 high, 1 low and it made no difference to the stuttering at all (NMS used to run perfectly fine prior to this latest update)

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 3, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
LA Noire VR popped up for sale on Steam - i know it was nowhere near worth a full-price game but is it ok for 50% off? (i already have the original game)

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its mixed IMO. I would say its probably worth it at 50% off. It helps if you're already familiar with the game from 2D a bit, but they did put work into making sure to adapt the game for VR.

Driving feels kinda loose and weird but is still fun? Boxing and Shooting are super fun, and its a shame that the Steam version lacks the PSVR's bonus modes for just boxing or shooting a bunch of things.

Its a pretty polished experience for VR, only so many of those around right now. But ultimately how much money things are worth is tough to judge for other people.

Yeah with the original i did my typical "buy game, complete 20% of it then never touch it again" thing despite really liking it so just maybe i might get back into it in VR. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Interesting headset poll, skewing to the high end but still with zero Pimax users :haw:

Will be interesting to run it again at the end of the year when the G2 has been out for a bit (i kinda think the Cosmos should be in there too)