Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

If I have a stacked 3080ti gaming PC is a Quest 2 good or is it a compromise over the expensive ones? I’m dubious about the USB-C tethering and battery life but the other headset options look dated. If it performs a lot worse connected to a PC than an HTC or an Index I might just wait for an updated generation of competing headsets.

Also bonus question does it really work smooth over WiFi for higher end titles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks everyone I’m gonna get a quest and give it a shot.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Heard mixed/bad reviews on the official Quest 2 strap/battery pack combo - is there one folks are recommending?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Picking this up - thank you!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Awesome all the convenience of walking around a store for hours looking for poo poo, and none of the hassle of having your stuff right away.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm playing beat saber on quest 2 and I can't get more than like a 80 on the upswing. My down swings are great, it's like an optics issue maybe. I've like squatted done a hadoken up with the saber and it's 70 points. Anyone else having this issue? Or maybe have a solution to it?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Shine posted:

Try doing a shoryuken.

lmao you're right that's what I meant though

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Grashnak posted:

The way the scoring works with beat saber you need to have swung through an angle of 100° before hitting the block to get full points for the pre-swing portion. This is taken based on how far you've swung up until the moment your saber touches the hitbox of the block. Note that the hitbox for the block is quite a bit larger than the block itself, notably it extends a fair amount in front of the block. A common issue people have with upswings, especially on the bottom row, is hitting the front of the block with the saber still pointed quite a long way downwards so you don't get enough swing angle. You might not be swinging downwards far enough with your sabers or you could have your hands too high relative to the block so you aren't getting much of a swing before you hit the block.

For newer players it's super common to not use much wrist and not actually swing anywhere near as much as you need. Here's a video of one of my recent plays, there's a side-on camera view in the bottom left where you can see how much I'm swinging. You need to use your wrists a fair bit in order to consistently swing big enough for full points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsCRX6vdWrc

Thanks for this.

But I really think somethings screwy with the oculus because I’ll do an exaggerated crazy upswing to try and get it to register a good swing and it just doesn’t. I can consistently get 110+ on my down swings outside of the crazy scissor arms parts. It’s like it cant see that I’ve done a good wind up. I literally cant get it to register over 80 points on an upswing that’s at the bottom, like I’ll start behind me, flick the wrist into the swing, and end up with it over my head straight back, and nothing. I can get 110+ upswing on a block if it’s not the bottom, i.e if it’s mid screen or above me.

I think I’m gonna gently caress with my height, like say I’m shorter than I am. I’ll report back if it works.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Double check your floor but unless its scuffed its probably just you. Not like, trying to be a dick but upswings tend to be harder than downswings in general and you dont need "wide" swings to 110 or we wouldn't be 90%ing maps in the 500+ PP range.

You're just missing the entry/exit/cut somewhere. If you're ultra anal about it, record some stabilized headset footage and watch it. Or, just keep playing and itll get better.

Again I'm really not trying to be a dick about it but it just sounds like to me you're not there yet at the level of maps you're playing. And swapping platforms and or controllers and or grips fucks with me for quite a while on ACC.

Days later but you're right - I wanted to try it before I went "NUH UH IM GREAT IT"S THE COULUS THAT SUCKS." My upswing had a bunch of motion, but not much angle change, like I was picking up something heavy, and that's the issue. My down swings were more of a twirl and that's why scored better. The oculus didn't have anything to do with it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I got a problem - my Quest 2 stutters like crazy in steam games and now I get weird render tearing, one eye going black. This just started, its ran fine for months. I tried my wife’s headset and it works fine. This is through virtual desktop. My airlink is hosed, stutters so bad I can’t exit I have to restart, and that has been this way for awhile. There was a point it worked fine too. Didn’t really care about the airlink because I was cool just using virtual desktop. Another thing is virtual desktop doesn’t stutter at all, just when I launch steam VR.

Like I said my wife’s set works fine with the pc, and I look on the pc screen and there’s no stuttering at all either in steam VR so it’s not my computer struggling.

Anyway it seems to be an issue with my set - has anyone else had this? I’m gonna do a factory reset but hoping there’s another solution because the whole thing is a pain in the rear end to set up and side load poo poo to tweak settings, and I had it all just right.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

BrainDance posted:

I dont know about one eye going black, that is wild and sounds like a complete steamvr reinstall kind of issue.

But the stuttering, run C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe (or wherever it's installed) and turn on the performance overlay. Then play a game, when it's stuttering does the performance overlay tell you it's dropping any frames? And if so, compositor frames or from the game itself? I guess I would doubt it if it's only one headset doing it, but still doesn't hurt to check.

And, if you delete all your guardian data on the headset or just straight up disable the guardian does it still stutter? The guardian stutter thing is one long, long, longstanding bug that I've noticed has gotten worse recently instead of getting better.

I just thought, too. Does the Oculus program have something like profiles for each headset? I have no idea because I only have one Quest 2. Is the resolution and refresh rate set the same for each headset?

Thank you - I tried all of this and it didn't do anything, and I realized I hadn't tried my wife's set in a few days and it's a few day old problem, and it actually did have the problem too so I'm glad I didn't factory reset. So I did (after spending the entirety of yesterday evening reinstalling, trying different stuff) find the problem and it's weird: it was an audio bug. I installed an actual soundcard and if I switch the output on my PC back to the mobo everything works fine. I've had the soundcard awhile so I didn't think it was the issue, but for some reason virtual desktop started not liking it, and I guess airlink always didn't like it - It even fixed my airlink. :shrug:

vaginite fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 19, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I've spent all of my free time (and most of my work time) on a computer and I just learned about the bumps a year ago. I was typing over 100 wpm by 13 because instead of playing football and having sex I was spending 12 hours a day playing everquest. I think it's something nobody notices until it gets pointed out.

That being said I've had to do a lot of technical typing lately and had to tighten up form a lot, I'd stumble like gently caress over anything my right pinky should be hitting, like p. Forcing myself to do it right made me a lot more consistently fast because now I don't ever displace my hands. But it probably doesn't matter for poo poo unless you have to type a lot or code.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

What's the goon consensus on a good headstrap for a quest 3? I have the Bobo VR one with the battery for 2 and liked it - is the one for 3 good?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Novasol posted:

The one for quest 3 is the same strap with an adapter on it basically. Since you already have the adapter for quest 2 you could just get an adapter for it.

Oh sweet I'll just go that route. Thanks!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I got a quest 3 and lose inputs, specifically on the right controller, in beat saber. It'll lose it for a second here and there, enough to kill a combo or lose a run on harder stuff. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also did getting the touch pros fix it? I've read they have a lot better tracking and I'd pay for them to beat saber in a quest 3 but $300 is a lot to spend blind. Maybe I'll just keep playing on my 2, I love the 3 but it's noticeably worse at losing the controllers.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks everyone - I'll swap the batteries on my right controller tonight and see if that fixes it. Doesn't seem to be a connection issue, more like when doing big swings the cameras "lose" the controller for a second. I'll report if that works.

Has anyone got the pro ones? I heard they have their own built in tracking and are much better at tracking, and if they are I'll drop the cash on them but want some non-shill confirmation of it first.

Beastie posted:

7 also has VR. It's absolutely pants shittingly terrifying

Confirming this - RE7 in VR is terrifying. It's the only RE that's been made in awhile that's horror and survival focused and not bang-bang-pew-pew zombies and it works real good in VR if you can stomach the anxiety.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

From the pic I thought those were little drones flying with the cable - has anyone made that yet?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Are the Quest 3 Pro controllers significantly better at tracking than the standard ones? I just upgraded to a 3 and after a week of beat saber and getting used to the new controllers, have concluded the tracking is significantly worse than the 2. I like the 3 a lot better and am down to drop $300 to fix the issue, but want to make sure it does.

If not I might just go back to the 2 for beat saber.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

As I understand it, the Quest Pro controllers track as well as the headset itself, because they’re basically sporting the same self-tracking features. Battery life isn’t nearly as good though.

What’s the current state of the art with VR injection for Unity? I know there’s the UE injector which apparently works great for UE games, but I tried the raipal UUVR injector for a Unity game or two and couldn’t make it do anything. Are we just not there yet, or am I missing something?

Thoom posted:

Pro controller battery life only matters if you're spending 6+ hours at a time in VR. Otherwise you can just leave them on the charging dock when you're not using them and literally never think about it. They are noticeably heavier than the Q3 controllers, though, and can have their own tracking foibles. One especially annoying thing about them is that because they use a built in rechargeable battery, there is no battery door, which means third party grips are all awkward rubber skins that wrap the entire controller and (subjectively) feel terrible.

I would only suggest buying them from a place with a solid return policy in case you hate them.

Ah that's a bummer. I guess I'll just play beat saber on my 2. At the harder difficulties it's been unplayable on the 3, unless I do everything in a really weird posture where my controllers never leave LoS, and even then it's finicky.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

I've struggled for 3 or so months of trying to make Beat Saber work on the q3 with both the Pro Controllers and the standard ones, and i've finally got it in the spot where it's better than the previous headsets/controllers i've used. It's partially due to software/firmware updates, but also, i've come to accept that you just can't be playing standalone Beat Saber. It's basically link to a powerful PC or you are hosed.

Aside from that, you are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to adjust your saber offsets. I was fine playing back in the days of Quest 2 both on standalone and without adjusting offsets, but those days are long gone.

edit: The hardest song i've cleared is about 10.5 stars for reference, so I am no Beat Saber god, but not a straggler either.

Maybe I'll mess with the offsets. I have no idea what the stars mean so I'm guessing you're a lot higher than me, I just do it for exercise basically. I've cleared the standard soundtrack 1, 2, 3 on expert+ and the rest on expert, was working through 4 on expert + when I got the q3, so that's where I'm at skill wise.

I am wired to a pretty good PC - 3080ti - play it through steam and always wired.

My headset just loses my controllers sometimes and takes a second to find them again, enough to miss notes. Sometimes it loses a controller I have outside of FOV and doesn't register a swing until a 10th second too late.

I thought maybe the Pros self-tracking would fix it, but also maybe I need to make more of an effort to not "big swing" and keep my hands in front of me.

Again I have no intention of being a sweaty, it's just for exercise, but failing songs to losing a controller is frustrating and not going for clears or better scores takes any fun out of it, and then it's just a treadmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah that's probably your biggest issue. The headset can't track what it can't see. If you're having trouble with the quest pro controllers too, then you've either got some room lighting issues, reflective surfaces, or wireless signal interference.

Thanks for the tips - haven't actually tried the pros though, initial inquiry was wondering if the pros would help with the issue. Maybe I'll just drop down to easier songs and work on technique for a bit. I notice people online don't swing the thing like a saber, I literally start at my hip and end up over my head on an upswing and that's probably wrong.

I think the offsets will help too because that's the only way I can get in the 105-115 range with a straight offset, actually swinging it like a sword, if I can get a better arc with less motion it'll help keep the controllers in FOV I think.