Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hey guys, I got a quick question about my quest 2 that's coming in a few days and that I plan to use for PCVR in wireless mode if possible. I've got a decent PC (Ryzen 3600 RTX3070) so most things should work okay on that end, however my router has a max throughput of 866 mbit/s and I read having a wlan 6 router with like 1200 mbit/s would be necessary for flawless streaming. Should I just get a cable to be on the safe side or should this work with wireless streaming without much graphical issues? If possible I'd like the best graphic output possible, as I want to do some Sim stuff like FS 2020.

There's so much conflicting on the internet that I thought I'd ask here, sorry if it's a repeat :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Thanks goons, gonna get a cable to be on the safe side, i found a recommended one for 13 buy so no harm done in any case.

njsykora posted:

My router has the same max and I have no problems with it. Will echo recs to get a cable at some point though, especially if you're thinking flight sims. I use mine wirelessly for most stuff but when I'm doing sim racing stuff I always plug it in.

Good to hear that, that's propably what I'm gonna do as well as I'll probably use it sitting most of the time anyway.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ok I've played around a bunch with my new quest 2 and good lord is some of this fun. Eleven table tennis is almost realistic and let's me finally play TT again after many years and the fun I'm having with swords and sorcerey is frankly ridiculous. Finally I can live my boyhood fantasy of rocking a katana, claymore, ninja star and fireball against imaginary enemies in glorious VR :allears:

The few PC games I've started up on VR so far are great too, Subnautica looks very cool though the controller has some issues, and I've downloaded a bunch of other games to try out.

I'm also pretty happy that after showing my wife the coco vr thing and gravity sketch she's slowly coming around to the purchase, I'll probably get her a good painting app soon and we both want to try beat saber.

All in all i was very skeptical if this was gonna be worth it and so far it's blown me away, really cool stuff.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've had my quest 2 for a bit over a month and my fear of it collecting dust after a little while is definitely not coming true, I'm having a great time.

Currently I've been playing around with blade and sorcery and Pavlov for reliving my sword and gun fighting dreams of childhood, hacked beatsaber which both me and my wife are enjoying, got flight Simulator optimized enough for some great visuals, and have a couple hours in both fallout 4 and Subnautica each.

Especially the latter one is incredible in VR, Subnautica is a whole nother level and just the right amount of scary. I'm coming out of this extremely impressed with VR and i do believe it has a bright future ahead of it, it's the biggest step in gaming in years that i can remember.

The only game I've been dissapointed in is bone works, for the price I'm not really enjoying my time in it that much, the weapons seem kind of weak and the humor just reminds me of a less funny portal. Just makes me wish portal was on VR.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Not quite what you're looking for and probably well known itt, but I've been enjoying my time with Pavlov VR a whole lot. It's basically counter strike in VR and there's a lot of custom maps that make it pretty wild.

You usually die every minute or so and it's very quick to pick up and get a few rounds in.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I played a bunch of fallout VR using wabbajak and a nexus premium account for one month. Definitely worth it, it's really cool and fun, for me it was worth the money.

The steam sale has some good VR deals, alyx is available for 25 bux. Is that a good price and is it worth it for the maybe 6 hours it's supposed to be long?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Perfect, thanks, gonna get it then.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I highly recommend deactivating the wrist pip boy as it's a mess, there's a setting somewhere that just opens a menu Iike in the original game.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

sleepy gary posted:

What specs for a computer are realistic for MSFS on Quest 2? Do you have physical controls for it or do you use your headset's controllers?

VR taxes a PC even more in FS 2020, I play using a Ryzen 3600 and 3070 and get 40 fps after a lot of optimization on good resolution and details. Personally I use a controller but it's possible to play with the VR ones, though you really need a lot of buttons so I wouldn't recommend it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Eleven table tennis is a good workout if you have the space to move around, though not as high impact as what you're looking for maybe

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've got an good selection of VR titles at this point but B&S is the one I keep coming back to again and again. If you install a bunch of mods it becomes a childhood fantasy come true and it's always fun for a good hour once in a while. I can currently clobber people by switching effortlessly between Luke's lightsaber, clouds Buster sword and wolverines claws or any historical weapon I always wanted to try out, it's great fun. For the 20 bux it costs it's great value imo, and the new update is a significant again.

E: also Motion sickness is completely gone for me in this game, it was there at the beginning tho.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Does anybody have a good setup guide for airlink? I have a Fritzbox 7530 which afaik isn't great but could be doable, but when I tried it out the box it was extremely laggy and juttery. Not sure if my router isn't good enough or if the settings are messed up. It's got 5ghz and 866Mbit so on paper should be enough, right? PC is connected by lan cable.

e: even though NOBODY offered to help, I figured it out :colbert: It was the oculus tray tool, I had to put the encode bitrate to 0 from the 300 I had before, dunno why, but it fixed it.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 27, 2022

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe a weird question, but I've noticed a weird reflection/shimmer/spot of blurry light directly in the center of my view when my quest 2 is displaying black. It's exactly in the center of the lenses so I'm guessing it's some refraction, stray light from outside or something, but does anybody else have that? Wondering if I scratched or otherwises hosed up something. I did manage to get a huge burn spot 1 day after getting it, since I didn't understand quite how sensitive they are to direct light :v: Luckily, the amazon return policy remains top notch.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

What's the deal with VTOL? Seems like an average flight simulator, is there something making it stick out? The bundle looks great but i have contractors already and I'm not sure if I just want into the radius for that price.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After some slight reshuffling i finally managed to increase the space I have got playing with VR and can finally move around a bit without crashing over houseplants and the like. Eleven table tennis with enough space to actually bend over or take a step back is amazing! It's uncanny how well it works, i played a lot of TT at my last job and it's all immediately coming back. The weight of the oculus controller is almost exactly that of a panel, it's great. Highly recommend, especially since it's on sale for 10 bux sometimes!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

As I'm currently playing it I'm gonna say it's ground breaking to me. The one game that's actually feeling like a full fledged VR game, and atmospheric in a way a flat game can not reach. It also feels like a game where VR works intuitively instead of learning the game mechanics of this specific game, everything i want to try to touch, hold or do works like I intuitively want it to, it's very easy to actually get into the feel of what the devs were imagining, if that makes sense.

If VR was more widely available in a capacity where everyone could play this, it'd be a bigger deal that it is currently.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Oh man, I spend days trying to figure out how to fix nms VR and it was a doozy. For me the solution was as simple as using virtual desktop. Both airlink or link were absolute garbage. The steam vr upscaling down to 130 from 150 percent also worked. there's also some fixes with changing stuff with the ini caused by thread allocation being all hosed up, it's generally just a mess.

On the plus side it made me get virtual desktop which is so much better than the alternatives.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ephori posted:

Can you share the settings/steps? I’m having similar issues.

Unfortunately I don't have the exact steps in my head anymore as I tried literally anything, but this guide, while old has most stuff that I tried. As said the CPU thread ini setup worked the best, make sure to save as read only as it will reset otherwise. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...tm_source=share

Also I highly recommend trying virtual desktop first if you have a good WLAN router, as it was a fire and forget solution for me in the end. You can buy it on steam and return it if you don't like it, same with oculus store (make sure to get it in the headset and not the Webshop, didn't work for some reason)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ziasquinn posted:

Honestly I’m loving it A TON. And I haven’t gotten motion sick AT ALL? It’s wild!!!

I guess the last time I tried smooth locomotion and turning was on PSVR and a my PC with a 1660GTX. The 3080 doesn’t give a gently caress.

Can you tell me which mod you used? The free vorpex one isn't currently working for me due to the 1.6 upgrade, which seems to be a common issue.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Agent355 posted:

Finally had to go get virtual desktop. Just too many problems with the default oculus software.

Namely I can't launch steam VR from the library, so I ahve to launch it from desktop mode and it is really hit or miss as to whether that will then make it launch on my headset, or just launch on desktop and sit there. And from there I can't figure out how to force the headset to put steamVR in focus or w/e the equivalent would be on a desktop.

Restarting the PC, restarting the oculus PC software, restarting the headset itself, only sometimes could get it to work, so gently caress it I"ll spend money to avoid this awful software.

I was hesitant to get it since the original software kinda did what it should, but after using it I'm never going back. The client starts automatically on boot and connecting to it is as simple as opening the app, and software largely works perfectly with it. The only game I can't use for some reason is flight simulator 2020, no idea why.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MarcusSA posted:

What is the current best flight simulator for VR?

I was under the impression that MS flight sim didn't have proper VR support yet so it looks like its either X-Plane 11 or Aerofly FS 2. I'm really looking for a flight sim that is ideally 1:1 real world like MS flight sim should be. It would also be great if there was a helicopter to fly.

FS 2020 is fantastic in VR, I've been playing it on and off for months and it's a great time. Graphics are quite a hassle to set up properly tho, even if they did implement dlss recently. It's free on game pass, I'd definitely recommend trying it out as the world is breathtakingly beautiful.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks! I know it’s pretty cpu limited even though I have a 3080 I’m sure I’m going to have to dial things back quite a bit

I'm using a 3070 so with a 3080 you'll definitely get a pretty good visual fidelity out of it at 30 to 50 fps depending on your settings. If standard settings don't quite cut it you could try out fiddling with the openxr toolkit which allows custom up and down scaling , which gave me significant fps boosts. That's a bit finicky though, maybe just start with standard install and see how it treats you.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Welp while playing with my quest 2 (sitting, mind you) I suddenly smelled burned electronics and discovered the charging port had started, uh, slightly smoldering.

It's 2 months to the end of the warranty and through amazon so I'm optimistic I'll get a refund but holy poo poo what an unpleasant thing to smell while simulating sitting in a plafe at 7000m :v:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Now that my quest 2 is likely getting fully refunded: is the quest 3 worth the upgrade? I'm enjoying vr a lot and play it a few hours per week for flight sim or just random games, it costs 200 euros more than the 2 and while money isn't exactly tight it's still a hefty price difference. I know they have pancake lenses which are less sensitive and lighter, and the display is better, anything else?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ha! Okay seems pretty unanimous, thx guys. I'll wait till our tax return comes in I suppose. i have a kiwi quest 2 strap, I suppose it won't fit the quest 3, right?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Nalin posted:

Q2 headstraps are not compatible with Q3. The arms on the headset are larger so the Q2 parts won't snap on. You will need to buy either a Q3 compatible headstrap or buy a 3D printed adapter off Etsy.

Well as luck would have it I already own a 3d printer so will probably be able to print one myself. Thanks for the clarification!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Well it took all of 2 days but I ordered the quest 3. It was the dune ornithopter update for flight simulator that convinced me, in fact :v:

You guys better not lie about how great it is!!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Fs 2020 is fully vr and so are all its updates, I've already been flying around in a halo pelican or the wright plane.

E: you can use any plane anywhere in the world too, here's me dropping the ornithopter over Berlin

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 17, 2024

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Toast King posted:

It’s old news for everyone here by now, but these first few experiences with human sized enemies in games really convince my brain to panic in impressive ways.

My main experience is with Alyx so far, but even a human-scale Superhot guy in your face is intense right now. I’m glad to have Walkabout Minigolf to unwind in at least.

Yeah scale in vr is awesome, in outer wilds your ship looks like a tin can, but in vr it feels like an actually usable size.

OW is incredible in VR btw, highly recommended

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kwolok posted:

Is there a guide anywhere to get this setup with airlink on the quest 3? How do you play it? With a gamepad?

Oof, setting up FS2020 with VR is definitly a rabbit hole since it's a very CPU and GPU intensive game and in VR doubly so, so there's a lot of tweaking. The very, very basic way to play is to simply connect airlink to your PC, start FS and go to settings -> VR - > enable VR mode. It should then switch to VR and depending on your settings, hopefully run at a playable framerate. Then there's a few more or less simple addons you should get to increase the performance by 50%, one being OculusTrayTool, and one being openXRToolkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qqX7de5TLA Guide for first one here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duB_JLoHsGA More in depth guide on settings

I have a 5800x3d and a 3070 and was able to play it at a decent resolution with decent settings and an enjoyable level of quality at roughly 40 FPS.

And yeah I use a controller, 8bitdo pro 2, it immediately loads with a very good mapping config and is very easy to play. Purely arcade mode tho, no serious simming, basically just throttle/flaps/landing gear and then controlling.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kwolok posted:

Ah cool thanks. It's a shame you can't virtually interact with the cock pits.

Ah, misunderstood your question, you totally can, a majority of buttons are mapped and you can even use the vr set controllers as in game joystick if you want to.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, I got the honsvr inserts took about a week or two to show up and was worth the $50. The slider on the Q3 is for your ipd.

I just got those for my coming Q3, 50 USD and no shipping fee worldwide is a great deal imo. I live in germany and that's a solid discount to local or other companies.

Always used my glasses in the Q2 and scratched them due to this, so I'm more than happy to pay this now.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Recently received my new quest 3, the performance really is quite a lot better, very cool.

I'd like to use this u4 injector to play some more pcvr with it, like the before mentioned pacific drive, but window claims the official file from the git is a Trojan.

Usually I know when to ignore it and just let it go, but this time I'm a bit wary, can someone confirm it's legit?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I just got mine yesterday and also had a few confusing minutes of trying to figure out how to fit them.

Worked out fine and man I'm glad I sprang for them, completely forgot they're there a minute in and now I never have to worry about scratching my lenses with my glasses again.

The price for worldwide shipping is also frankly a steal, I paid like 44 euros.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

When playing alyx I ended up skipping the beer(?) factory level. Absolutely loathe invincible enemy sneak levels, and in VR? gently caress right off

I ended up downloading a full save I think, which sucked since upgrades etc. were all different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Stop making invincible enemy level sounds cool :mad:

... I'm gonna replay alyx soonish with the quest 3, maybe this time I'll not wuss out.