Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Thanks for making a new thread. I kept getting too busy to fix the op of the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You pick up the gravity gun, use it to pick up a basketball, you shoot it into a hoop. Then the screen fades to black and says "please remove your VR headset" and the rest of the game is just on a monitor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh? You've maybe spent too long in this VR echo chamber if you think this.

I still prefer teleport to free move when available.

Teleport has always been bad for me. It's either implemented poorly or just way more frustrating than just moving a joystick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Teleport movement sucks dick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
VR costs $25000 and only runs at 240p, it's garbage. Give it up vrailures.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t the writer dumped what HL3’s story would have been life after being told it wasn’t happening? I know it covered portals and the missing ship (borealis?)

I think Marc Laidlaw released an outline, but who knows if that's what it really would have been.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The thing said it was added to the Index packages on November 20th. if Valve gives HL: Alyx to people who buy an Index from now on and not to people who bought it at launch with the defective sticks, people are going to flip their poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It doesn't sound like Robert Guillaume is voicing Eli. Or maybe I'm getting confused. I'm hearing the voice of another actor. I don't know his name though, and I can't remember what I've seen him in.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 21, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Considering he's dead it's understandable.

Oh drat, I forgot to check if he was still alive. I was too busy looking up if Lou Gosset Jr. was still alive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Yeah, too bad. I bought the Index HMD but not the controllers since I already had dev kit Index controllers and it looks like I won't get HL:A.

Did you not see the part where people who bought the Index get the game?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

I was definitely considering buying the Index controllers, figuring that the bundled game would let me convince myself that the price for the controllers was more reasonable, but apparently they're still $279. That's a tough pill to swallow even with a $50 game included.

Any Index controller owners, especially those using them with the original headset, want to try to convince me otherwise? Currently the only VR games I have more than around two hours in to are Beat Saber, Subnautica, and Bridge Crew, but presumably HL:A will join that list eventually unless they really hosed up.

If you're coming from the dumpster fire that the Vive controllers are, then they are a massive improvement.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lighthouse 2.0 allows you to have more than two base stations which eliminates more blindspots. They were supposed to be cheaper too, but that never happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Don't the wands still work with lighthouse 2.0s?

No. Newer devices work with the old lighthouse, older devices do not work with 2.0. Unless something changed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Alyx is compatible with all SteamVR headsets. Finger tracking won’t add much to the experience.

it will probably at a lot to the experience, just not something wholly unique to the index controllers. While holding in a trigger to grab an object works just fine, finger tracking will probably feel a lot nicer. People with Index controllers will say it's great, and people without will say it's all a bunch of BS and using a trigger is "good enough." if done right, it will probably add a lot to immersion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Has it been posted that Half-Life Alyx has been added to accounts that bought the index? It wasn't there earlier, and I just checked my steam account and the game is in my library now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've been playing Alyx and it really makes me want a nice looking Call of Duty/Call of Duty 2 remake in VR. I want to do some WWII battles in VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oculus studios means it's only on Oculus probably. :/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It depends on if they try to make it accurate or not. Bombers then had advanced analog computers that took a bunch of guesswork out of it. It would be fun to try a VR Bomber Crew type game where you're trying to do whatever your station is while also helping out the other crew.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gort posted:

Playing Alyx on a linked Quest, when the game first loads it thinks I ought to be a few feet back and to the right of where I actually am, which is half in my bedroom wall and half in my laundry bin.

Any way to recenter the player position in that situation? It's fine once I'm playing but the main menu is a pain to use.

I can't ever get steamvr to do anything for that besides just doing the room setup again. I do standing only, so I don't know how to do it if you have a play area set up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've always been on the side of Oculus exclusives not being bad for games they make, but they need to open up their store to other headsets. Not letting anyone release a game on their store that even hints at SteamVR existing is toxic AF.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The new steam interface is pretty nice. The curved UI that is actually physically next to you is much better than the old way which was just a flat screen six feet away at the edge of the play space. Clicks on the desktop don't always go through, which is a bit annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Aeble posted:

(Also, does VR in general work out for nearsightedness? I assume there's no room for glasses inside, but if the screens are close to the eye I can't imagine that being an issue.)

The lenses for VR are focused to infinity, so you will need glasses. There are companies that sell prescription lenses that pop into the headsets

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I will commend Oculus for having an amazing VR UI right out of the gate. I can't believe it took 4 years for Valve to make something halfway decent. I don't care about the SteamVR Home or the Oculus Home, all I care about is being able to hit the system button while playing a game and being able to see my desktop and doing what I need to do. Oculus is still ahead of the game though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tweak posted:

i was certainly worried about when my last autosave was if i couldnt find a place to safely get down since my options were death by falling off a roof or off the map itself otherwise

One weird thing that happened to me twice towards the end of the game was my off hand would just... stop working? Like it was there and could even bring up the main menu but it couldnt grab either normally or with the russell. I only managed to fix it by finding my last good autosave with a working hand.

Something similar happened to me except my hand just disappeared entirely. I could open the steam VR menu and it was tracking just fine in there, it just wasn't in alyx anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm in chapter six and I'm fighting more combine now, but I do wish there was less zombies and more fights. The zombie fights are mostly just "ok, move back a plink away at this guy" but the combine fights are much more interesting. I'm crouched down, behind cover, I'm leaning out of cover in real life to shoot at the dudes when they have to reload. It's much more hectic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Alyx is still the Source engine, right? How long til someone mods in the original HL2 campaign?

I assume it is Source 2. I don't know how much cross comparability there is between the two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The VR implementation for HL2 was actually pretty good. It was before hand controllers existed in any way besides those razer ones, but it had all kinds of interesting control schemes. You could aim with your head, or aim with a mouse cursor that moved around on the screen. The only issue I had was that the scale was way off. I don't know if it was because I was sitting and my brain was confused, but everything seemed to be a t2/3 scale.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't seen much in the way of updates for that. Mostly just "we're working on this in our spare time."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Happyimp posted:

I can't wait for the mods. If they could add 3x more combine and ammo and turn off lock puzzles, for a dumb action new game plus mode, I would be happy. Importing Black Mesa and HL2 into the engine would be great to.

So I was listening to the giantbeastcast while I was pressure washing a dock, and I started getting really annoyed about how much they hate vr. Especially how it's an insult that Alyx is vr only, and only 42 people are ever going to play it. I've been listening to bombcast and beastcast for awhile, but their take on games have been getting worse lately. Even on none vr games.

I think that's mostly Bakalar, he seems to have a hate boner for VR and he shits on it whenever he can. The others seemed to be interested in trying it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Songbearer posted:

I refuse to use health stations because I don't want to kill those cute little grubs :(

Barney is probably coming through afterwards and smushin all those grubs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Walrus posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my thumb to rest naturally on the trackpad rather than around the side of the grip with the index controllers. It makes it very awkward to use for a lot of stuff. Anyone else have this issue?

How are you holding it? I don't have any issues getting my thumb to rest on the trackpad. Have you adjusted the strap? It can move left and right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

Sorry, but I can't control my tapping power.

You're a hard tapper?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What thing, the cardboard that everyone threw into the recycle?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm getting a replacement Index headset tomorrow. While playing Alyx, I noticed the right screen has a bunch of stuck red subpixels or something. Whenever I looked at something dark, it was like someone hit the center of the image with the spray paint tool in MS Paint. Valve said it has to do with how the LCDs are made or something. All I know is that it doesn't exist on the left screen and is really prominent on the right screen. So they are replacing my headset. I guess they are willing to break up the sets now. It seems like before they required people to send back the entire kit with RMAs, but it looks like they are just sending me a headset and asking for just the headset and cables to be returned.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SteamVR control bindings are pretty confusing, yeah. When they released the updade for Alyx that lets you have a left handed gun, thank God someone already posted a control scheme that let you have your gun in your left hand but use the "right handed" movement scheme because there was no way I was figuring that out.

They patched the game so your gun can be left handed but movement is the same as right handed.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Boneworks has a full IK body and it constantly gets hung up on things and stops your progress.

Honestly I have to say, the Alyx approach to ladders of "Climb the ladder manually then just sort of pop up on top of it" while not realistic is much preferred to the Boneworks approach of "Climb the ladder manually, get your hands stuck on every rung, get to the top and get your legs stuck on the ledge, pull your legs up and still for some reason get stuck, re-grip, get your arm jammed in the ladder, hang by one hand for a while trying to figure out what to do, get your body stuck, fall off the ladder and decide whatever is up there isnt worth this amount of work and move on".

This is why I don't buy their games after I got burned on hover junkers. Everything they make is janky and unfinished. Except maybe that duck hunt game, but that's just you shooting things from one spot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I really don’t get why so many people hate the gun management in Alyx. I found it to be really smooth and not at all annoying. I mean, a single click and the gun is gone. And to draw, you basically just gesture in one of three directions? Which for the pistol, incidentally, is the same direction to bring it up to aim. So like, the act of raising my hand to aim the gun is the same action that draws it.

I’d be sitting there messing with objects and I’d hear a noise somewhere and during the act of spinning and aiming I’d pull the gun into my hand, all in one motion.

On an unrelated note, be wary of crawling into vents, I did a couple times and found things I did not want to find!

Yeah, I don't get it either. For a game where you just have one gun, it makes sense to put it on your hip or something. But there's four different things to choose from in this game, and it's easy to just hit the trackpad (or button, I don't know what other controllers use) and just move my hand in a direction.

Lemming posted:

Yeah it's not clear to me at all why they let you teleport down places that would kill you, it's really hard to quickly tell what will kill you and what won't so it just ends up randomly gibbing you unless you're really slow with it

Are you able to teleport to places that will kill you? I don't remember if I've tried it, but I know that if a drop will kill you, it shows a red skull. In those cases, I always just move the teleport back to where I'm standing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

In case y'all are still confused. It's literally the same thing as if they made you open doors by pressing a button instead of grabbing and pulling on the handle.
I hope that I don't have to explain why that is a bad idea.

Ok, so where would the four things you are using be on your body, and how do you make sure you're getting the thing you want without looking? You could do right hip and left hip, where else? Maybe you could do over the shoulder with the dominant hand to grab something, but that still leaves something out. Also, how do I prevent myself from accidentally grabbing the wrong gun like what happens with the mask? Or I can just hit the trackpad, move my hand up for the pistol and start shooting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Having the guns accessible from a gesture menu on your magical telekinesis gloves seems perfectly fine in the half life world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's also not fair to say it's a 2016 era game like one person said, when 2016 was the time when developers were saying it was impossible to do continuous movement and turning because it would make people constantly throw up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have a feeling that the people saying alyx is a 2016 game weren't around for games in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was around in 2016, I'm the OP of the previous VR thread...