Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

duck trucker posted:

I don't think they need to "explain" HJ's gay affair considering that scene where Metropolis stops at his apartment unannounced and talks to HJ in front of his wife was full of massive amounts of sexual tension.

That's how I felt, too. Even if I wasn't watching for it due to the AHS version showing their relationship it would have definitely been palpable. Which makes sense considering they're already playfully sparring about knowing each others' secret alter egos in front of June. Also I'd have a harder time believing a bunch of people who regularly meet up in secret locations dressed up in silly masks and costumes weren't also banging the poo poo out of each other, because people are gonna be people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I don't understand the Watchmen lore but how is it remotely impossible to kill Manhattan and take his powers? Wouldn't it take the greatest scientists in the world and not some yokels from Tulsa? Unless Lady Trieu is part of the 7th?

Keene obviously has access to classified information if he knows the truth about 11/2. It's not unfeasible that the US government has been researching contingency plans in the even that Manhattan ever went rogue, or that they've collected intelligence into Soviet research about the same.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe Trieu is involved. But it's not like the 7K doesn't already have some pretty powerful support from a lifetime Senator and Presidential candidate.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

loving superb.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I missed a very subtle exchange last episode but caught it in this episode's opening recap. You'll only get it if you watch with closed captioning on. When Angela is brandishing the hammer at Cal, she begins to call him Jon, spelled properly in the subtitles. When Cal responds, the subtitles read "My name isn't John." He uses the more common spelling because he doesn't realize who she's talking about.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Regarding Looking Glass: there were four gunman in the truck that came to whack him. I counted five bodies on the floor, one without a mask. He killed his attackers, took the mask from one and was playing dead in the room. My guess is that he's going to try to kidnap Petey in order to get to Laurie unless Petey is slippery enough to squeeze out of his grasp.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

just another posted:

I think it was tachyons that Veidt used to cloud Manhattan's mind in the comic so if they're slamming him into a tachyon cage or whatever then that explains why he can't see anything after his "death".

I bet the season ends with Dr. Manhattan once again leaving Earth, but this time with Angela, to create hybrid life somewhere since Adam & Eve-ing it from scratch was so unfulfilling. The kids will be hand-waved away since they seem to be a vestigial subplot from an earlier story treatment.

He mentions they'll have ten years, then a tragedy but never spoke any further. Nothing in his dialogue makes it absolutely certain that he or Angela won't survive the encounter, and the idea of the heroes travelling to the den of the antagonist shrouded by tachyons before a major disaster is set up to be mirrored perfectly.

Also keep in mind the scene where Manhattan mentioned passing his abilities through a kind of eucharist involved him creating a simple egg. As soon as he's restored, the first thing he does is make waffles because he's 'hungry' and the eggs are dropped on the floor. Without the egg, maybe Manhattan had to make his waffles with something a little more special.

Calling it now: Dr. Manhattan gives Angela the blue waffle.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Weedle posted:

How many times do you think Dr. Manhattan has picked up women by telling them they're going to fall in love in The Future and then he teleports out of her bedroom while she's sleeping after they seal the deal. I bet it's a lot.

The real reason he stopped wearing clothes is that he realized they weren't maximally efficient to his goal of laying pipe 24/7.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

We're also not considering that Manhattan may have wanted to be involuntarily teleported to wherever Keene is. Keene's clearly shielding himself with tachyon emitters so Jon has no other way to find and confront him.

I'm waiting for the memes of Keene pointing a tachyon weapon at Manhattan, then the Dr turns it to steam and tells him "Tachyon these nuts."

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

lmao, nice call. Kinda feel stupid I overlooked this :doh:

HE IS RISEN :pray:

Jon died for our sins.

It's even set up with the eggs:

Wild T posted:

Also keep in mind the scene where Manhattan mentioned passing his abilities through a kind of eucharist involved him creating a simple egg. As soon as he's restored, the first thing he does is make waffles because he's 'hungry' and the eggs are dropped on the floor. Without the egg, maybe Manhattan had to make his waffles with something a little more special.

Calling it now: Dr. Manhattan gives Angela the blue waffle.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

He definitely stated outright that the gun would teleport him away TO BE destroyed. Which by itself is ambiguous on whether the destruction is successful or not.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like that OG adam/the gamewarden. sorta has real emotions and hatred and such.

I like where someone pointed out earlier that the original Mr Phillips was so traumatized at his creator abandoning him that he put on a mask.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

What we're all ignoring is that no second season means we don't get to have naked, blue Regina King. And that's quite sad.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

It's a clever follow-up to Laura's call to Dr. Manhattan and the joke about God and a rock. "Can God create a stone so heavy even He can't lift it?" Evidently, Dr. Manhattan can.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Am I the only one who thinks Dr Manhattan wasn't supposed to actually be dead? Along with all the parallels to the end of the comic, it seemed pretty heavily to hint that the machine was destroyed before his essence or whetever was transferred. Veight disintegrated him, too, and he chastised him that it would only slow him down because he's Dr. Goddamn Manhattan, putting himself together is his oldest trick. The egg could just be his way of creating a being like himself so he's not an eternal lonely naked man anymore.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Absolutely agree

I think the biggest clue was the glowing Dr M remaining after the climax concluded, hinting that he was still a part of the story. If that's the case, it's also a nice bit of character growth for John. He has his powers forced on him a second time, again because of his love of a woman. But this time instead of eventually isolating himself from her and ultimately humanity, he offers her a chance to voluntarily become like him and help him become a better deity.

Presumably his foresight is messed up around the time of his capture because of the tachyon emitters the Cavalry used, but he knew to deliberately foretell her about the eggs and the swimming pool. That's enough to tell the audience that he's aware of events after he 'dies', implying he'll eventually return.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Koalas March posted:

White America loves to take things that are traditionally black and repackage them for a white audience as new, trendy and edgy.

See also: The in-universe Minutemen TV show where the first costumed vigilante becomes a white man.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Boxman posted:

EDIT: also everyone knows the show's biggest flaw is insufficient blue manhattan cock

There was not a drat thing insufficient about that!

What will really make you feel cheated is the show ending 5 minutes before a glowing, naked blue Regina King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

She's definitely got a complex about Ozy rejecting her as unworthy. She idolizes him but also wants to surpass and ultimately destroy him.