Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

Yes the third and final season was amazing.

Do I need to go back and re-watch the second season before starting the third? Because I don't remember all the minor details. There were those weird visions that Kevin kept having and Patty kept re-appearing but then gets killed again? Does any of this matter when going into the third season? Should I just rewatch the whole goddamn show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

I'll be honest and say if you bounced off the first two seasons I wouldn't bother. I can understand why people wouldn't like the show and I can say its not for everyone. I was pretty invested going into the third season.

A lot of things do come back around and start to make sense in the end though so it depends on how much you remember.

I liked the first two seasons. I just never watched the third.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Supreme Allah posted:

From the trailers there's obviously a Cult of Rorschach. Count me on that side of the situations.

The white supremacists / fascists?

:chloe:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Supreme Allah posted:

Okay that 'Unforgettable' reference is to the movie not the book

It was in the book too.

Supreme Allah posted:

Adrian what did you doo

(psychic after effects probably)

I wouldn't put it past the government to be in on the little secret to remind the world that it better not forget who the "real enemy" is.

edit: by that I mean they randomly cause squid storms to keep the guise up. Didn't look like Veidt was doing anything to cause it. Plus, what if he died? No more squid rain?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

If that newspaper is to be believed, he is dead.

Jeremy Irons looked pretty alive and well.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Revol posted:

With that, I don't see how Veidt's lie could be sustained.

Easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p80hXaM4QgU

quote:

Then again, with what Regina's character said about the world not being pretty, perhaps the lie is still alive.

Yea I'm quite sure it is. It showed the WTC in "the box" when he asked what the suspect thought about the interdimensional aliens. Meaning the Seventh Cavalry believe the conspiracy, i.e. the truth, but what everyone else believes to be a conspiracy theory.

(No I am not a loving 9/11 truther, don't worry)

quote:

I'm betting the squid poo poo is a true side effect.

I guess we'll find out, but why would the event in the book cause squid rain decades later? Seems a bit of a stretch.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

Redford's been president for 30 years lol.

[edit] Oh the show takes place 30 years after Watchmen. Duh.

Yea, and remember the scene at the right-winged newspaper at the end of the book mentions that he's going to run, to which the owner of the paper yells, "Don't be a damned idiot, we're not going to elect a goddamn cowboy to be president." An obvious riff on Reagan.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Best new character is Panda.

prove me wrong :colbert:

edit: also lmfbo @ "If I defecated on the American flag, how would that make you feel?"

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 21, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
The robot servants thing seemed pretty loving weird. Like you know he fucks them when the cameras aren't looking type thing.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Amateur Saboteur posted:

i initially thought my boy was getting the top while at his type writer

Pretty sure everybody did. lol

Anyway the "it's my funeral" scene was just foreshadowing. Probably isn't some ultra secret sinister plan by Don Johnson.

Who knows. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully. I like Don Johnson.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

7th Cavalry is certainly a logical endpoint for Rorschach’s ideology in the comic. It’s a much reading than Snyder worshipful lens of Rorschach in the movie.

Alan Moore, when asked if he'd watch the movie, basically said "hell no, I saw 300 and that director is a loving fascist xenophobe. I don't want to have anything to do with it."

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I just realized the servants probably aren't robots.

I think they're clones. More specifically of John Osterman and his fiancee. My crazy theory is that Veidt is trying to recreate the situation and environment leading up to John's accident and eventually the accident itself. Basically, Ozzy is attempting to create his own obedient Dr. Manhattan.

I'm basing all of this on the title of the five act play that he's writing. "The Watch Maker's Son."

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What about Marvelman, Superman, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Watchmen?

EDIT: I guess you said beloved, while his career is spent trawling through trash they’ll let him do whatever with. Except Charlton comics, I guess. They were too valuable.

He's obviously being facetious, making fun of that guy who deleted his own posts (which I presume were about tainting Alan Moore's sacred legacy of being weird as gently caress).

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ballz posted:

Also of note if you read the supplemental material from that site, according to the newspaper article obit, Veidt's fortunes kind of fell into a freefall in the late 80s and 90s, only to be salvaged when he created a pet cloning service. Given the relatively young ages of his servants, he probably cloned them right around the same time he started cloning rich people's dead dogs.

Never assume ages of clones. They can be fast growing to prime age or some poo poo.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

AccountSupervisor posted:

I noticed this and in the season preview You can see Sister Nights kid building a model of the same castle

I also noticed on my rewatch that Veidt called his servants the "leading roles" of his play, which goes with the theory they are clones of Osterman and Janey and he is trying to make another Dr. Manhattan

That's why I guessed they were those particular clones in the first place...

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Klungar posted:

Since I didn’t see anyone else say it, I will: I think “Veidt” is actually Dr. Manhattan and his servants are life forms he said he was going to go off and create. The transition from the stars in the sky to the Scottish moors is actually to show that this is taking place on some other planet Dr. M hosed off to to play God. The Dr. M playing in the sand on Mars is just a copy to make humanity think he’s otherwise occupied. The anniversary referenced is not of Squid Day, but the intrinsic field accident.

That'd be loving crazy. Way crazier than my clones to recreate Dr. Manhattan theory. I like it.

All of that was filmed at some castle in Wales, apparently.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Necrothatcher posted:

No it loving wasn't! He's an insane mass murderer.

I'm sorry, but if you're asking to end the lives of 15 million people or god knows how many billion plus the end of civilization, it's not even a choice.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I really don't think Jeremy Irons is Manhattan. You know, since he isn't glowing blue with beaming white eyes.

I'd be surprised if he weren't Veidt.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

He can change atoms and poo poo, he could change his skin color and appearance if he wanted.

This would be pretty stupid and a cop-out by the show. There's literally no reason for him to do that other than obvious misdirection which breaks the 4th wall like crazy

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

I was 100% had me expecting a bombing or commando assault because of “Unforgettable” playing in the background. I guess the movie is fair play for callbacks.

Folks, "Unforgettable" was in the movie because it was in the comics. It was literally on the TV commercial when Comedian gets his rear end beaten.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Stop posting spoilers

Seriously. I accidentally rolled over because I though it was a guess or theory without looking at the avatar.

If it hasn't aired why the heck are you posting spoilers.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

No it isn’t. It does appear for one panel when Dan and Laurie attempt sad gently caress number one, as part of a commercial for Nostalgia.

Blake’s death scene is silent each time it appears. There’s nothing visible on the tv except a vague human shape.

Whatever. It's the gently caress song then. It's in the novel.

Anyway, continuing the black and white theme: what's black and white and red all over?

A: a field of dead, bullet-ridden cows

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 25, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
On the rewatch, people were thinking that Jeremy Irons might be Manhattan because he was given the pocket watch -- on the contrary, I bet he left the designs out for mystery servant to find because he's a clone of Osterman, who then builds it no problem.

It was a test of sorts. I almost want to toxx on this. ALMOST.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Yea this show is full of symbolism just like the dang novel.

Veidt riding a galloping horse to a castle.

On the radio right before Sheriff gets murdered: "Hell if Joe, Jr. wants to mount up and gallop all the way to the White House, I say more power to 'em."

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m pretty skeptical of Irons=Manhattan but one big clue that lends credence to the theory is that fade from the starry night to the beach. This could indicate the Irons scene takes place elsewhere in the cosmos. Either way it was a brilliant panning dissolve.

It could also just be a transition shot.

Or it could mean that both Manhattan and Veidt are mirroring each other's actions.

Also since it seems obvious that the 105 year old guy was the child at the beginning: who are we thinking the baby is that he found? Sister Night's ancestor? Someone we haven't met yet? :thunk:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My insane fan theory is that Dr Manhattan hosed off to create new life but he hosed up and just recreated the Earth and everything happened all over again including making another Dr Manhattan. It's like the Matrix or something and we're on DrM #7 or whatever.
:tinfoil:

Yea but then when the reveal could have been something really cool (matrix within a matrix) it'll get brushed away as something lame.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Yea I think he just now returned to the Solar System

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xanderkish posted:

Also it tracks that a dude who thinks himself vastly smarter than everyone else would seclude himself far away from other people with only his moron sex bots to keep him company. He's got better technology, but functionally he's the same as a dude with one of those weird anime body pillows who insists his parents don't understand their love.

That's a pretty vivid description...

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

I remember when the original ending of the Terminator Salvation script leaked they changed it to something much more boring due to the backlash. If you're going to be bad, at least be bad and interesting.

I vaguely remember this? What was the original ending again?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
holy gently caress

"He shot me in the arm. So I blew his loving face off."

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

So American Hero Story is definitely a play on the Snyder film, right?

Yea lmbo

HOLY poo poo that's a hood

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
lmao so I was half correct?

edit: blue penis

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Ok so veidt confirmed

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

I like James Wolk doing his best Kyle Chandler impression as Joe Keene Jr.

why couldn't they get kyle chandler

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I love how they chained up the Nixon statue like Saddam's.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Veidt casually burning people alive was some :cry: poo poo

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Cool, i called it.
I'd watch the gently caress out of HJ taking out old timey mooks.

Called what? Chief being 7th cav? That costume could have been his dad's or something.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

It's both. Obviously with the name and casting it's a Ryan Murphy riff, but to me it also seems like a play on Snyder's version of Watchmen. Don't get me wrong, I think his Watchmen movie is great, but this seemed like a way to incorporate it playfully.

Yea it's definitely a low-key riff on the Snyder film. The slowing down time and poo poo made me chuckle.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

I bet American Hero Story is going to be Tales From The Black Freighter for the series. You'll see bits of it that relate directly to the themes of the show.

Also the Klan Robes had a police badge on it. I wonder if you went back to the first episode, you'd see the Klansmen they focus on wearing those robes. Also i saw some people not realizing the part in Germany was WW1 not 2. That part is weird to see.

It looked like an old police badge, like the one his father was wearing in the picture of them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Groke posted:

Blue penis is blue penis, even if it's only painted blue. So we can check that box.

I meant about the clones of Osterman and Veidt trying to create his own personal Dr. Manhattan