Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Preston Waters posted:

Anyway, continuing the black and white theme: what's black and white and red all over?

A: a field of dead, bullet-ridden cows

Dark Waters confirmed canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also, it wasn't the anniversary of anything. It's Veidt's birthday, his weirdass servants don't know the difference.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think it's way too early to cry foul about mystery box writing. This is meant to be a story that can be satisfyingly told in one season.

Anyways I reread the comic over the past few days, paying special attention to the Hooded Justice character. The robbery scene might be a riff on Snyder, but it's accurate to what Under The Hood says about HJ's debut being brutal. If we're running with the theory that the old man is actually HJ, perhaps the WW1 era German propaganda is meant to explain his pro German comments Mason remembers as being pro Nazi.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ehh I'm enjoying the show but the comic is so incredibly intricate in it's form and writing, nearly every page having some kind of hidden visual pun, reoccurring motif, or subtle foreshadowing, that I don't see the show coming close to equaling it. Obviously it's too early to really tell.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

For the folks who think this pales in comparison to the intricacy of the original comic: I don't think it's possible to make a live-action adaptation or reinterpretation that will please you. I have no idea if they will stick the landing, but two episodes in, this seems about as visually and thematically intricate as television gets.

I'm liking the show so far, I'm just responding to the earlier post about the comic not being as important or having gravitas. It didn't really cover the heavy and emotional topic of race, but it's not 'just' about superheroes.

Zmej posted:

"i'm here to tell you the mystery in piecemeal in vague statements"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBYp1SbrbkQ&list=PLCMjjEKddprf4leOvXPOwP4IWbafuhfmE&index=7&t=0s

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've never seen Lost or The Leftovers so I'm judging Lindelof entirely on Cowboys v Aliens and Prometheus.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Prometheus is fine but was originally meant to be the first half of a story so its somewhat underwhelming.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Speaking of, I wonder what Donald J Trump is up to in this timeline

Hopefully the Institute for Interspatial Studies had a prime location near Trump Tower.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Idk I think the Owlship and Nite Owl's goggles being part of the police department's arsenal are both hints to what happened to Dan and further reinforcement of how the state coopted superheroes for their own purposes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I liked the theory I saw in the comments of that Youtube video Rolf Mueller was actually the 2nd Hooded Justice after Sally's publicist husband realized a black hero was a PR problem.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, considering squids rain from the sky...

(The supplemental material also makes it clear the squid ending happened)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's a very conspicuous fat man and little boy on the pier the day Manhattan was created, get it??

Anyways, maybe the play is a red herring and the cloning itself is the pertinent plot thread. Veidt trying to make duplicates so he can perpetually engineer human history from the shadows.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

apparently Angela was born in Vietnam?

They say this in her introduction scene. Two years before it became a state!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mothman wanted to avoid discussing the conflict in one of the like three lines he has.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

she had to have had that dildo custom made

Pfft, giant Manhattan dildoes are probably a popular brand in this universe.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The preview of the next episode makes it look like he's going to build a life sized version of that catapult thing he had on his desk and, I don't know, catapult clone test subjects into space.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is it, though? :tinfoil:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The biggest improvement the movie makes over the comic is having Big Figure's fat henchmen get his arms buzzsawed off instead of having his throat sliced for no reason.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The story wraps up in 4 episodes. It's a self contained narrative.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You don't just Jackie Chan your way into a sewer opening like that without prior experience.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The clock is going to mix up everyone's races like the end of the Sneetch book.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That logic doesn't apply to settler colonialist projects like that. It's like saying someone is Cherokee because they live in Oklahoma.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Because the real world version is that the rich and powerful use racists for their own ends, which are also racist. The racism is the point, not some kind of cover for an ulterior motive

Username makes post but also sometimes the brutal racial hierarchy is used to mask brutal economic hierarchy but the two are intertwined in the US.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

The first thing Veidt did when Rorschach and Nite Owl showed up was to confess and give all the details how he did it.

They didn’t even know! Veidt’s ego is so monstrous he had to make sure they knew every detail so as to be impressed with the ruthlessness and brilliance of the Smartest Man In The World.

Well they would have found out pretty quickly anyways.

Veidt's a megalomaniac but I don't believe circa 1985 Ozy would be so cavalier as the video to Redford.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Re: psychics, couldn't the 11/2 squid deaths just be due to the pressure wave of a giant squid teleporting into NYC? All the people who died were bleeding from their ears.

A large part of Veidt's plan was having artists create horrifying alien imagery and encoding it into the squid brain so people would be overwhelmed by the sensory overload.

Really not too crazy that psychics exist in a world where Dr. Manhattan does. poo poo, maybe Jon was a sensitive and that's how his consciousness survived his disintegration.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

How? All the plotters were murdered by Veidt. He even killed his butlers to cover absolutely everything.

I mean the protagonists of Watchmen would have put two and two together by the time they were at Antartica, he didn't just tell them willy nilly, but rather to explain his motive

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think it does look silly, in the comic and the show, but that just makes it more terrifying. Because imagine the incongruity of seeing something silly like that, but having to take it seriously because it just killed everyone around you in a blink of an eye.

Isn't this the basis of a lot of Japanese monsters? I'm thinking of how Shin Godzilla starts off as a bizarre, googly eye thing that nonetheless bleeds radioactive blood.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if grandpa gave me his memory pills id be like "thanks, but next time keep all the gay sex you had out of it, im good"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You all are gonna feel stupid when the clock just turns out to be an even more powerful Moloch Sun Ray.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The flashback in the book is Sally's memory, not Hollis'.

And yeah, comic HJ is coded as a sadomasochistic fascist as another critique of superheroes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Destroy Doc Manhattan and take his place? Surely you must be Joe Keene.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

But why would Veidt have impregnated a Vietnamese woman who was subjected to war crimes? There's no indication at all he was part of the Vietnam War.

He had Vietnamese manservants in the comic, maybe he adopted one of their daughters after killing them in the snow. Trieu doesn't look mixed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dr. Manhattan being the secret husband of the secret granddaughter of Hooded Justice who is also near the center of an elaborate conspiracy is one twist too far for me and I don't see how it's not a giant coincidence. The show has been good so far so I'll see where it goes, but this is the biggest misstep since the convenient tape of Veidt explaining the squid.

Zaphod42 posted:

He was in vietnam. He meets her. He falls in love with her. Same as he did his first wife, and same as Laurie, and even while he was seeing Laurie he was simultaneously seeing women in his past and in his future.

I think he falls in love with her, and then later when Ozy hatches his scheme and it works, John himself is affected. Seeing the future from a different perspective, he becomes disillusioned and dispassionate and decides to become human again temporarily in order to find meaning again. Something like that.

Angela was born after the war, and was only a child when Jon left Earth. That opening scene was set post comic book.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lube Man is keeping him prisoner to ensure things on Earth run... smoothly...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I noticed more conspicuous lettuce right before the bombing that killed Angela's parents. One more for that motif, I guess.

McSpanky posted:

Topher isn't adopted, right? Maybe he's just a chip off the ol' atomic pile.

pay attention

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"I made it 30 years ago"

Booo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also "A little elephant told me" and Veidt inventing an amnesia device seem like more evidence for the earlier theory itt.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yeesh they did not manage the landing on that twist at all. And I still say giving Angela two secret twist origins is too much.

At least Jeremy Irons still owns.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also, Topher seeing a blue dude walking on their pool and saying "it looks like Cal!" and not "holy poo poo its Doctor Manhattan!" felt wrong too.

magiccarpet posted:

Give us the Snyder cut

It's the same thing except when the 7th Kavalry heads explode it's super gory and in slow mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should have just left Manhattan out of the plot as a character altogether.