Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

So glad to know that, when I first heard of the series my main reaction was, "please be good".

A few years ago when Watching The Watchmen came out Dave Gibbons did a promotional tour. Fortunately I arrived early; the book store and organizers were caught off guard when hundreds and hundreds of fanboys showed up for the book signing.

This makes me wonder - does Moore hate tabletop RPG adaptations of his work the way he hates TV/movie adaptations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

It is nice to see a world for a change that isn't a dystopia.

Is this a joke post

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

During the traffic stop at the beginning, who was the person in charge of releasing the gun? .

The dispatcher says "I'm putting you through to Panda" and then Panda says "hello this is Panda" which is how the show subtly suggests to you that the officer's talking to Panda

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 21, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Except at the end of the book Manhattan leaves because he's regained his humanity. He's genuinely happy because Laurie and Dan found one another and will be together. Hell, he even smiles at Veidt as a "gently caress you" when he tells him "nothing ever ends". He even say he's going to leave for somewhere "Less complicated". If he was truly "disconnected", he wouldn't need to leave because nothing around him would truly matter to him.

He hasn't regained his humanity, he's regained his appreciation for humanity while recognizing that he's personally ascended beyond it. That's why he plans to go create life instead of taking part in it

Rocksicles posted:

The bad guys are racists. it's like the justice league vs Injustice League

Yeah man I bet the characters in this Watchmen sequel are exactly like the justice league

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 21, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

It seems strange that a guy who openly expresses support for communism (the dude is wearing red and yellow for chrissakes)

Do you think The Flash is a communist

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Hey man some of us were really high when we watched it okay :mad:

Now I've gone from mad about comics to envious about drugs

Although honestly the Tulsa massacre scene might be way too much for me if I'm high

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
My wild guess is that Veidt is trying to get Osterman (the watchmaker's son) to come back to Earth by manipulating the white supremacists into doing some weird science poo poo with the synthetic lithium batteries

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

General Dog posted:

I very much doubt that at the end of the day this series is going to expect you to root for the masked, torturing, cult-like, unaccountable police force as The Good Guys.

The police might be the protagonists/"good guys" in the depressing sense in which Rorschach and his friends are the protagonists/"good guys" in Watchmen

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Do you guys think the Soviet Union still exists? Ozymandias's whole plan was to stop the Cold War and it looks like it at least somewhat worked

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Going with the idea Veidt is manipulating racists to help him Make Dr. Manhattan American Again with whatever experiment hes cooking up to recreate him.

in the comics sequel to Watchmen, Ozymandias is trying to use some science poo poo to force Dr. Manhattan to come back and fix everything. It would make sense if he were trying to do the same thing here with the watch batteries

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

For those who have read everything, are Before Watchmen and/or Doomsday Clock worthwhile? I avoided Before Watchmen just because of fear it would tarnish the original, but I'm open to other opinions on it.

Doomsday Clock is a standard Justice League story with Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias, which is funny, but it's not remotely as actually good as the original comics. Still kinda funny to see more wholesome and simple comics characters go :psyduck: at the weirdo perverts from Watchmen

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 21, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

wolfs posted:

I watched episode 1 and everyone is unlikable and complicit.

This is the one thing they got right about Watchmen

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Why the gently caress would I care about the difference between a communist and a nazi, both dead ideologies when capitalism was doing so well for me ?

are you the comedian? you're supposed to be dead

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 30, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

beanieson posted:

lol I’m rewatching and I completely forgot about ya boy just casually dropping on his adopted kids that no, there is no heaven, this life is all that exists, & when you die you cease to exist.

He forgot to clarify that your consciousness actually can survive death as long as you die from being ripped apart in an intrinsic field generator.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

withak posted:

I want to know the scale that Petey keeps using to rate the superheroes.

if you mean the Wertham Spectrum, fun fact: it's named after Fredric Wertham. Wertham was a progressive psychiatrist, one of very few wiling to treat poor black patients in his time. His research was even cited in Brown v. Board of Education, the American Supreme Court case that produced a ban on educational segregation.

Unfortunately he's better known for writing Seduction of the Innocent, an extremely popular book about how comic books promoted violence, sex, and drugs among our youth. He called Superman un-American and fascistic, and Batman and Robin homosexuals. His criticism of Batman and Robin led to the creation of Batwoman and Batgirl to serve as heterosexual woman counterparts for Batman and Robin to romance.

I guess in the Watchmen reality, Wertham turned his mind toward psychoanalyzing actual superheroes instead of comics about them. I would love to see more of him as a character in this universe.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 12, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Those structures weren't meant to be on the same spot. Not much time has passed because Trieu's daughter is still an adolescent.

You're assuming there's only one of Trieu's daughter

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
It would be hilarious if they made a whole episode about this extremely fascinating character and the next episode starts off like "oh yeah right so he died after that, but anyway..."

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Also, on Earth-HBO the Republicans are apparently AOK with a very liberal Democratic administration spending billions a year on defenses against fictional space squids when they are fully aware that said squids are part of the Veidt Power Movement and no such risk exists? Their Mitch McConnell must be hosed up.

Are you kidding? They own the anti-squid defense companies. This is just how the national security grift works now that the cold war is over and the war on terror never happened.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

A narcissist doesn't actually need to seek approval from others, because they only need themselves.

Hmmmmmmmmmmph

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Ive never viewed narcissist as only attention seeking, but more specifically expecting that people SHOULD give them attention because theyre perfect. They already have high self esteem, but any criticism is a slight against their world view. Thus they fixate on how wrong everyone else is and how correct they have always been (example being the president). So, less attention seeking and more assuming the world should give them what they want. "The world is better because of me and owes me something"

The Mayo Clinic posted:

Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

(Source)

Narcissists generally want you to think that they have excellent self-esteem and no need for affirmation from others, but it's exactly the opposite. Narcissists are people with weak senses of who they are and why they're important, so they depend on feedback from others.

The type of person you're describing is probably real, but it's totally the opposite of a narcissist.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 6, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

General Dog posted:

The idea that Dr. Manhattan has been ineffectual because of some flaw in his personality (and the implication that Angela or anybody else could be a "better" version of him) seems like kind of a misunderstanding of the character. His indifference is part and parcel with being all-knowing and omnipotent.

It's kind of hilarious that Jon spent months, if not years, explaining how his powers work to Angela, and she just concluded that he's a selfish dummy and she would just do better things if she had powers like that.

I think part of the problem with how this show handled Manhattan is that it forgot part of why Manhattan becomes so alienated from everyone in the original comic. In part it's because he's given up on his own free will, but he's also incapable of perceiving humans as meaningful because he's invested in the much broader phenomena of the modern universe. He can't devote his time to sex with Laurie because he's too busy hunting for sub-subatomic particles and proving string theory and poo poo. The show ignored all that and focused only on the plight of a man who can see his own future, making a character who speaks and acts pretty differently from the guy in the books.

zoux posted:

Still taking Lady Trieu at her word are we (besides I thought the Clock was the superstructure anyway, not the, whatever magic floaty ball)

This is really gonna gently caress you up: a frozen prawn isn't going to fall at a velocity remotely close to destroy any metal structure nor put a perfectly clean hole through a woman's flesh and bone. That hole in her hand? That was a plot hole.

You're assuming the fake-space-squids are made of the same materials as actual squids.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm assuming they aren't made of depleted uranium, especially since they dissolve harmlessly after a few minutes when not frozen.

I think they have to be made out of something crazy because they're supposed to be from another dimension. I don't think it'd be crazy to have something hard in there that Ozyamandias managed to make dissolve after a few minutes.

It's weird science poo poo invented by a supergenius; I don't think it's crazy that some weird stuff happens when he fucks around with it. I put it in the same "eh, if that's how you say it works, alright" category as Dr. Manhattan being able to put his powers into an egg.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honestly would intermittent squidfall be enough to keep the "bigger fish to fry" detente between the US and USSR going for 33 years?

I would think after a couple decades you'd have a handshake deal to knock it off if there's a full scale alien invasion but otherwise get back to proxy wars and brinksmanship.

Yeah, we see that most people are pretty apathetic to the squids at this point so it can't be holding off warfare.

There might be a detente, though, because Redford supports detente (why Ozymandias wants him to be president) and he's seemingly administrated as a strong president for decades straight.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 16, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Angela doesn’t think it was bad that Manhattan did what he did during Vietnam or just does not care.

She still falls in love with him because he told her lol

I guess she really took his apology for Vietnam seriously.

massive spider posted:

Keenes aborted plot where he gets both the cops and klan to wear masks and declare themselves heroes to blur the lines between the two was the actual plot that deserved examination.

it's actually kinda cool that in both the narrative and the universe of the story, dr. manhattan's bullshit prevented something more interesting from happening

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

massive spider posted:

Reading Lindlofs post season rolling stone inteview one major misstep that seems apparent to me is that he is openly disdainful of the idea of the Kavelry as villians. Like he admits that they're kind of lame, not that threatening a presence past episode 3 and that Looking Glass can beat up 5 of them at once so who gives a poo poo, get to the real story.

Except the entire horror of the opening sequence (which remains extremely effective) is that it establishes that white supremacy is an actual credible, terrifying threat to people of colour. To then turn around and go "oh they're just cartoon goon villains" and have the white superhero just offhandly pulp them like how Captain America churns through nazis them feels very off, and not true to the concept of a show that deals with the issue of race, or one as a deconstrucion or masked heroes.

E;

unrelated issue: veidts fart.

This episode points out that all of Veidts actions on mars have been essentially a game he's been playing to stop himself going crazy. So he scripted his own trial. Ok thats odd, but psychologially interesting at least.

But why the fart? It makes sense if you are there against your own will to show absolute disdain for the proceedings, but why write an impassioned debate as to the morality of your actions and then conclude with *fartz*?

He spent his whole time trying to get them to do something interesting. His fart was simultaneously an admission that he'd failed and an expression of disdain toward Manhattan's pseudo-people.

Did we ever figure out why Manhattan couldn't make normal people who act like normal people? Did he just prefer to have a world where all the men look alike and all the women look alike and they're all soullessly compliant freaks?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

dazoner posted:

Super late to the thread, show was damned good and the finale absolutely kept theme of racism going...

A few points

1. 7th Calvary/ Cyclops plot holes make perfect sense when you take into account that white supremacists are incompetent, even (especially) the successful ones.
2. Lady Trieu playing them like a fiddle was hilarious as they were utterly dependent on a minority to achieve their goals
3. Veidt not dumping his semen in the toilet/garbage after masturbating made sense for the biggest egomaniac the world will ever know.
4. Angela’s helplessness in the last episode mirrored her grandfather’s helplessness in the first episode. Taking that into account it was inevitable that she would eat the egg.
5. Will killing Jud was personal.

3. It's interesting that you interpret it as Ozymandias finding something to do with sperm he otherwise would've just thrown out. At least in his own head, it's definitely the other way around - he'd insist he only masturbates to the end of sperm storage. Masturbating for the pleasure of masturbating is a base, mortal dependence just like sex for the pleasure of sex.

5. I don't understand what it means for Will killing Jud to be personal when the two had never met before and all Will knew about Jud was the Klan robe and Cyclops involvement, which would drive Will to kill just about anyone. I don't see how it's more personal than anything else Will did throughout the season. Can you elaborate on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh yeah that guy, he's the dude who wrote that comic about Alice in wonderland loving Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz right

you're thinking of Neil Gaiman lmao