Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
From the trailers there's obviously a Cult of Rorschach. Count me on that side of the situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Preston Waters posted:

The white supremacists / fascists?

:chloe:

Rorschach was never racial was he? Fascist sure but only against criminals. He killed lots of white baddies.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

OK I think I've missed it but does the show cover the comic or is it a sequel?

I really don't want to spoiler anything but I'm just trying to figure out if its a completely new story or an adaption of the comic.

It's supposed to be a sequel in spirit but with some alternate outcomes of the original, so it may be best to consider it a 'what if', or slightly alternate timeline. From the comic.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Richard Nixon makes the '4 important presidents' poster :keke:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Adrian what did you doo

(psychic after effects probably)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
A tribute to the poison capsule

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Okay that 'Unforgettable' reference is to the movie not the book

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vanderdeath posted:

Rorschach was racist and homophobic in the comic. Dude was a piece of poo poo but somehow less of a piece of poo poo than the Comedian and Veidt.

Nooo.. he hated anyone indulging in their impulses, he hated the idea of sex in general, but racist?

That's the only thing I can't recall about him being. He was Black/white but action wise, not skin-wise

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I love how absolutely insane they're making Adrian.

Just like he always was.

Rorschach was the only one who was right about that lunatic.

BEASTIE BOYS

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Preston Waters posted:

Veidt casually burning people alive was some :cry: poo poo

Veidt has so much murders hovering on his head there's no way a single murder even registers anymore and this show is acknowledging it.

Human life to him is like less than the life of an ant, he's a real sickie.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

Angela is parts of Rorshach for sure, violent, black and white world view, but she is less rorsash in the sense that she has personal relationships, a social life, etc. Glass was eating home alone out a tv dinner, and doesn't really seem to have relationships and of course is gruff and never takes off the mask.

I'm not saying one has to be one or the other, but I just got hints of both troughout the characters

She's also more of a fighter than Glass, who needed to be saved. Rorscach would have broke his foot off in all those jabronis asses like she was doing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

I can see why people like Rorschach. He's a badass indisputably, and as some have pointed out in this thread, he was so steadfast in his beliefs (as hosed up as they were - and they were) he was willing to die for them. But what a lot of people overlook as to why a lot of people like him is that he's the first character, and so people latch onto him as a point of reference. That's both on the first read - besides the bumbling detectives, you first see Rorschach grappling his way into Blake's apartment - and on subsequent reads. The first panel that has any humans in it, one of the two is Kovacs holding is sign. The other is a rando washing blood off the sidewalk.

I really think this early establishment as a point of reference has a lot to do with people sympathizing with Kovacs/Rorschach and his batshit insane worldview.

Aside from that, I just have a hard time taking Moore seriously as far as not being happy with people liking Rorschach when: he just made the dude such an unrealistic badass. Rorschach is a bad person but Moore made him so badass he can operate with no income for a decade while on the run and killing criminals because....reasons?

Ultimately I'd say I agree with Moore that people are dumb for liking Rorschach, but I also would say Moore is dumb for the way he wrote Rorschach.

Moore has a way of doing this with his own work. He's on record multiple times as saying he doesn't particularly like The Killing Joke, that Joker was the wrong character for that type of story, etc. The Killing Joke is one of the more popular Batman stories, but when some of his fans read his opinions on it, they do a 180 on their own opinions. Maybe part of it is so they can pull an 'umm akshaully' when it comes up, but the point is that he wrote something lots of people loved and then said, nah.

Rorschach is written to be sympathetic with his backstory, badass, morally uncompromising. Of course people are going to love him. He's also deranged but we usually forgive that flaw in superheroes. Moore insinuating that liking him is wrong is fine but to me seems slightly disingenuous.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Thats ahh,

hell of a character intro.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
What the hell was that line

In anticipation of our negotiations I took the liberty of creating your child?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Adrian.

dude.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Scooter_McCabe posted:

If he has tech to speed up aging he has the ability to get off the planet.

I'm sure there's failsafes

Tachyons etc

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, she took over his company and put him on prison someplace. And he's getting clone babies.

gently caress. I'm suddenly remembering how Tales of the Black Freighter played out

and envisioning Adrian washing onto a shore on a boat floating on corpses

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
'I leave it entirely in your hands'

Just caught up on latest eps

OKAY sorry but no offense but I love this show. it's awesome, it's 19 easter eggs per ep for anyone that read the book.

Sorry. No offense (alan moore)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
That ep was self indulgent and frankly boring.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't be a bad poster. Working on flaws is HOT in 2019, and "having a constant meltdown" is a great opportunity.

Interesting! Boring is not a word I'd use to describe it (although the girl I was watching it with did fall asleep...)

It was an amazing episode in my opinion, although I'm surprised to see an episode like this in a 9-episode season.

I was disappointed we got no Veidt or LG, but I don't think the episode would have been better for including them; it just would've slaked my curiosity for the week.

It's a quality show, everything is being done at the top level.

I loved, loved the Fallout soundtrack.

...I don't want to set the world on fire....

And I don't want to start a boring drawn out discussion that nobody cares about. I think the racial stuff is being over-indulgent in lue of actual, Watchmen related story telling.

Where's my blue cock.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
oilyphants and blue peepees are back bay bee. My favorite ep so far.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zmej posted:

also the dialogue in tonight's episode was some of the worst of the series. the lady t and angela exchange over the ORB was lmao

Most of Lady t's dialogue is pretty bad and the acting is bad on top of it, it's the weakest character in the show.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Also I’ll be pissed if a bunch of dumb racists manage to kill Dr. Manhattan. Although Bubastis never reassembled herself as a blue god, so I don’t know what king peckerwood thinks will happen.

For reference to anyone that didn't read the books, Dr Manhattan was the son of a watchmaker and grew up assembling and re-assembling complex watches. He was raised to restore in the correct order. Not anyone could have done what he did, to re-assemble his molecules into a functioning.. god or godling or whatever he became. In the book it takes him several tries before he re-assembles himself in the correct way.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Funny thing about Juggernaut being there

I have this comic somewhere in my collection and I never could figure out what that panel with the bouncing rock is supposed to convey

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahaha that's so loving goofy

This is why doing superheroes for serious as anything other than a Watchmen / Boys style parody is a mistake. Keep it light-hearted and goofy, or suddenly we have to start asking a ton of awkward questions.

I liked Logan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Finished it; it wasn't bad by any means and sure worth watching if you care at all about the IP.

I was hoping for a larger scope than what they focused on. And I didn't like the Lady Trieu performance at all. Actually I didn't like Jeremy Irons take on Veidt either. Overall good but weaknesses abound.