Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

For what it's worth, neither was Jeremy Iron's casting announced as him playing Veidt, and he spent multiple episodes being credited as Lord Of The Manor.

So the original argument about the pointless withholding of information remains true, made all the more egregious for it being entirely obvious who he was playing.

I shared an article about him being Veidt on social media when he was announced as being in the show, so it was definitely publicized. I never knew otherwise, myself, which is why my only question was possible misdirection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AHS had all of those content warnings for a reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

Nobody who’s been imperiled at the end of an episode has ever been killed at the beginning of the next, except for Hank in Breaking Bad. That’s just how tv works

The Wire, season 2, second to last episode.

It does happen, normally it's revealed at the beginning of the next episode on HBO shows.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

On rewatch, I don't mind the flashbacks as much; I saw them as trying to ape Nolan stuff like The Prestige or the Dark Knight movies where the main character flashes back quickly at critical moments to give you their mindset at that moment (while also simultaneously helping the audience, because, as you see with Nolan stuff, even when people talk directly into the audience and tell people exactly what is going on, a lot still don't get it, haha). It wasn't done quite as well as he does it, but it's not as bad now that I knew it was coming.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I watched the movie before last night's episode and it's just jarring how badly Veidt was adapted for the film

Ehhhh, the best read of the movie (and one that actually is backed up by the material) is that is a play off of film in the way that the book was a play off of comics, so movie characters from 2000-something that are playing off of what was released at that point are all going to come off a little different than comic characters up to the 80s. That would also include things like suits and how fights are visualized (basing things off of superhero movies released to that point like the Batman movies) and visualizations of what a tech billionare genius ubermensch like Viedt would look and act like.

I love Irons' goofy take on the more comic-like version, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

When the last episode ends on a cliffhanger, then the show needs to address it at the start of the next episode. If we are supposed to care about the story then the show needs to address the story more, and jerk itself off over its zaniness less.

Nah, I didn't care a single bit about anything about the cliffhanger around 10 minutes into this episode, and it was the best episode so far.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

I have trouble picturing a viewer who watches the movie Veidt not having read the comic who wouldn’t immediately suss he’s the villain.

They don't because every Watchmen is a douche or a moron. The movie "oh hes the villain" thing is more people projecting what they felt in reading the comic to an adaption and hoping everyone feels the exact same reaction they did when they read it one year ago or the wiki summary. The narrative is too back and forth and weird for you to even think of it much as a whodunit by the time it matters.

Adrian is so barely in the movie that you arent even thinking of him most of the time, similar to the comic. He just comes off as some slightly less detached and way less powerful Manhattan that is more competent than everyone else but Manhattan but is far removed. Only people that know the twist or know there is one put a spotlight on him on average.

Darko fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 14, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Preem Palver posted:

So is everyone just going to ignore how they said the Tulsa Massacre was actually a Cyclops plot? I was down for weird mesmerism stuff but gently caress them for turning real historical events into lovely comic book conspiracy stuff.

Nobody sees this as an issue since Cyclops is a stand in for white supremacy. Why do you keep trying to push this?

On another note, the whole show is basically a build up to "what if God was a black woman?"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

Agreed.

I expected to come into this thread and see universal hatred. Disappointed. This show steadily declined each and every episode. Culminating in a clusterfuck of a finale that hand-waved away every morsel of interest that was left. Not to mention it poo poo on the entire message of the source material.

I actually regret turning friends onto this show after I'd seen the first couple of episodes. I owe a handful of people eight hours of their life back.

The Hooded Justice flashback episode was the best episode, so, huh?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

I enjoyed the journey even if the destination turned out it didn't really know where it was going.

A major issue is that the original watchmen wasn't as plot mystery twisty as this. The show was stongest in the looking glass centred episode, the hooded justice episode where it did what the comic did and just spent a chapter following a particular character in this world, and weakest when it tried to blow your mind by piling up mysteries.

At the end it worked overtime to resolve the major mysteries at least, but at the expense of not really doing as much with its concepts and characters as promised.

I enjoyed it overall, but I think I viewed it as I did while reading the book initially; I "forgot" about the mystery and just cared about how each particular episode flowed. As soon as Manhattan was strongly introduced, I realized the show was about a black woman becoming god and then looked at through that lens and was fine with it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hilario Baldness posted:

The bald cap the actor wore gave him a Megamind shaped dome. He looks goofy in the show.

Dr Manhattan: TV < Movie

Ozymandias: TV > Movie

Silk Spectre: TV > Movie

No fair to compare an already jaded Spectre to the movie/comic version that just bounced off of people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Watchmen sucked because the show correctly was saying nobody should desire or have the power that Dr Manhattan has, but then Angela does desire it and gain it (Lindoff has pretty much confirmed she doesn't fall into the pool like an idiot). And she's a very violent person who doesn't follow anybody's rules but her own. She absolutely shouldn't have that power.

I loved the show pretty much up until "Cal is actually Dr Manhattan in blackface lol." It ended up being quite the rollercoaster but I don't see myself watching it again.

Just because something happens doesnt mean it's an endorsement.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wait until you learn about the black congressional massacre and all the other ones that history purposefully forgot.

I rewatched this show, and it was a lot better than the first time, partially helped by knowing what knowledge each character has about what was going on in rewatch. Also things like Laurie calling blackface Manhattan hot are now funny.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

As I stated earlier, rewatching in one chunk and knowing where everything goes makes the show quite a bit better. It's different from week to week expectations and how things are interpreted based on that. Once you know what everything is about, it always tells the story about those things from the very start, with things like Tulsa, etc. being more of a part of the whole legacy of characters more obviously.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BB2K posted:

I don't quite get what this post is getting at

Its not okay to be disappointed with how the last few episodes went? Because critics didn't?

I felt almost entirely the same

If you rewatch, you see the show was always the same thing from the start - asking how the Watchmen comic would work if it actually cared about black people and adding them into it. Tulsa and racism just work the same way the Cold War works in the original comic and frames how that would work around superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

This is a great read, though it does make me wonder how Lady Trieu fits into all that.

The "model minority" that also treats black people pretty much the same as white people do on average, although they should be on the same side? Also with her entire motivation being impressing her white father?