Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wonder if the reason there's no smartphones is because they can't use lithium batteries.

Then again the cars appear to be electric so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

For those who have read everything, are Before Watchmen and/or Doomsday Clock worthwhile? I avoided Before Watchmen just because of fear it would tarnish the original, but I'm open to other opinions on it.

They are both embarrassingly terrible. Especially Doomsday clock. Avoid avoid avoid.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

I enjoyed it but it has that same fanficcy vibe that accompanies all expansions on Alan Moore's work. I think I'll enjoy it more if I disassociate it from the comic and think of it more as a 'what if' story.

To paraphrase Moore: they're all what if stories.

I think if you're going to do a Watchmen show this is the best way to do it. It's not fetishizing the characters or setting and seems to have something new to say. Going to reserve judgement until a few eps in, but I hope this continues to be very loosely be related to the source material.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

Reading the supplementary material and it refers to persistent techno-phobia. I've heard some people say that it's because of Doctor Manhattan, but I'd say it's equally likely to be because of the "accident" where scientists summoned vagina cthulhu into downtown New York as well as the old Manhattan Cancer scare.

I think the whole point of the squid attack is that the public believe that humans had nothing to do with it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mercrom posted:

Also Veidt seemed pretty crazy, but believing what he did about the the imminent certain end of human life, it was obviously the right call.

No it loving wasn't! He's an insane mass murderer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think Moore's view on the morality of Veidt's actions is made pretty clear through Tales of the Black Freighter. Doesn't Veidt even say he dreams of swimming towards a gigantic pirate ship?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mercrom posted:

He's pretty consistent and against compromise but his views are not thought out. That's what I mean by saying he goes with his gut.l

He writes a journal about his views and there's a long sequence where he explains exactly what he believes in and why to a psychiatrist.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Or Viedt turn himself into a manhattan type figure by going through the same process that manhattan did. Viedt had the machine for it, and he used it on Manhattan and his cat. Either way, I think Jeremy Iron's is playing a post IF subtractor subject character

I think it's in the supplemental materials, but don't they explain how they tried to recreate Doc M and just ended up disintegrating people?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hope we get to see at least tobacco crack pipe thing in the new series. I loved that little touch from the comic.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the pun

A land of milk and honey.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So far I'm really impressed with how well this is nailing the Watchmen tone and philosophy. Here's hoping they can stick the Lansing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I want to understand why you guys like it so much especially since I have a totally different reaction to it.

you haven't really said much other than that you think it sucks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

The consensus seems to be all the prequel and sequel stuff is bad.

It's real bad - and kind of made worse in retrospect by this show proving (so far) that you can do a decent Watchmen story without Alan Moore's involvement.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I picked up the comic for a re-read as I'm enjoying the show so much. I remembered back in the early internet there were text pages going through it panel by panel and summarizing the connections and motis. Now all Google turns up is study guides for kids who have been assigned the book at school. Makes me feel old...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just realised that when the police chant "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" in ep1 they're all sat facing one another, which answers the question.

Cool touch.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 30, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Its called The Annotated Watchmen. It was included in the Watchmen torrent I and probably everyone else downloaded when I was 15, alongside the Sam Hamm script draft.

I looked it up when I reread recently too 😁

Yeah, that's the one! Thanks for everyone that tracked it down. :)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tin can made man posted:

Angela, convinced of Judd's complicity in the White Night or his family's in the Tulsa massacre, sets herself and Looking Glass into exposing him and destroying his legacy. By the time it's revealed that Judd is simply a historian collector and his indubitably not at all connected to white supremacy, the damage is already done. Looking Glass, tears undah dis mask, stands at Judd's grave to apologize "We thought you was a choad"

Awesome.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I get that it's the cool smart Internet poster guy thing now to poo poo on Alan Moore. But, frankly, he did a really loving incredible job with V for Vendetta and Watchmen, two of the most iconic graphic novels of the medium that made comic books into Graphic Novels - and there's people ITT making GBS threads on him instead of being willing to accept his work, as well as the potential of a AAA+ Hollywood team to build on that, even after DC's attempts of a prequel and sequel have absolutely ate poo poo.

Who's making GBS threads on Alan Moore? I feel like this thread is mostly Moore fans.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

There's a difference between making GBS threads on Alan Moore and pointing out a disconnect in how he wrote certain characters and his disgust at the reaction that portrayal got.

Rorschach is absolutely written in a way that it's very predictable many people would like him (in spite of being a deeply flawed person). Yet Moore doesn't want people to like him, which is stupid because of the very sympathetic backstory and his unwavering devotion to what he sees as right. And his nigh supernatural badassery.

Pointing this out also is different than suggesting I could do better than Alan Moore. Of course I can't do a tenth as well.

(I just love this quote)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The main thing I've picked up on my Watchmen re-read is how loving incredible Dave Gibbons' art is. It's not particularly showy but goddamn there is some mindblowingly solid visual storytelling going on in that 9-panel grid.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I kinda feel like all the display stuff and progress bars in the Manhattan boxes is doing jack poo poo. Those messages aren't going anywhere.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm reading the comic now and I like that Laurie's love of Devo is established canon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

And Mongoloid seriously rocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-nFSUXcuM

Top Ten has some pretty good female characters, Toybox for example. When is someone going to adapt that?

I don't know much about Devo, but hearing Mongoloid in Watchmen made me finally put the pieces together on this old Layo and Bushwacka track I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJXmX6zr2U

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Someone elsewhere pointed out that they saw a conspicuously blue dot in the sky during the Veidt scenes. Anyone catch that?

I really hope Manhattan's not involved in whatever's going on with Veidt. I thought his attitude towards him was perfectly summarised by:

"I've walked across the sun. I've seen events so tiny and so fast they hardly can be said to have occurred at all, but you...You are a man. And this world's smartest man means no more to me than its smartest termite."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Very inconsiderate and unhygienic of Dr M to do this in a food prep area.

I kinda wish Moore went into a little more detail about what Dr M rebuilding himself was like from his perspective though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

You know... the presence of sensitives in this world has never quite added up, especially taking into account Manhattan's superpowered uniqueness. There's been endless debate on the matter, but one theory I've never heard before is: might it be possible that their inclusion is just based on Alan Moore believing in ESP in real life?

To be fair it was written in the mid-80s when we were at the tail end of ESP being in vogue.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe this episode is going down so badly on here. It was loving brilliant.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Can someone explain why Manhattan doesn't save himself at the end? Is it because it happened means it happens? I'm a little lost on that.

Literally the entire episode up to this point is beating you over the head with how Dr M perceives time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Its not quite right though, is it? Like it apes the format of that issue as well as it could but Dr. Manhattan is still a man who makes mistakes and can be caught off guard by something like the cancer hoax or can become attracted to Laurie through a chance meeting or forget to give her breathable air on Mars. But it doesn't do the "hes only leaving his first girlfriend because he knows he will leave his first girlfriend" thing. It's like the writer became so fixated on that one bit where he tells Laurie he knows she's sleeping with Dan twenty minutes before she tells him that he decided to make his entire character and the entire show structured around that concept when it doesn't really...mesh?

I dunno, I've never seen Lost but it seems more like the guy just loves that closed-loop time travel idea and decided to do it becuase he liked doing it on Lost so he just kinda tacked it onto the time-is-relative character?

Would it be possible to have this episode end differently on a second viewing?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skitz posted:

Emphasis added, because this is exactly why he's such a frustrating character. As other people have said, he's not a god, he's an observer. But he has agency, he just chooses not to use it. Ever. All he has to do to liberate himself from this weird hell he's in is make a loving choice that doesn't comply with what he sees as the future. But he won't and that's not who he is and I'm just speaking as a normal non-inter-dimensional human bean, so what the hell do I know.

He doesn't have agency. He's a fictional character who has read the whole book / seen the whole show. He's unable to change anything about his life as he can't reach into our reality, tap Lindelof on the shoulder and get him to reshoot the scene.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 10, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

everyone can change the future you cyclones. otherwise can anything be said to occur at all?

Some people are doing the classic thing where they confuse lack of free will with total inaction

Doctor Manhattan is something of a unique case though. Within his fictional universe he is experiencing everything in his life at once. I mean, it's up for debate whether free will exists in reality, but it certainly doesn't in Watchmen.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Fun fact: free will doesn't exist in any fictional universe.

World of Warcraft?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was sorting through some old photos and found a couple from when I went to the London Watchmen premiere in London back in 2009. Sorry for the tiny size - my phone sucked. Though you guys might get a kick out of them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

rich thick and creamy posted:

Re: Manhattan and predetermined course of action.

It's not that Jon can't change outcomes, it's that he has committed to this particular sequence of events because it has what he considers to be the most beneficial possible outcome (how he makes those choices is anybody's guess). I'm reminded of a bit in Rudy Rucker's Ware series where 4D creatures show up on Earth. One of the humans attempts to shoot them repeatedly but the creatures always dance out of the way. When the character asks why he can't shoot them, the human is reminded that the creatures exists outside of time and can see all the infinite branching paths from one moment to the next... and they simply choose to move forward in one of the millions of realities where the human missed. Jon has probably played the game of Earth a couple billion times. It's probably easier for Jon to explore a scenario if he tells everyone he *can't* change the future rather than won't.

Both the show and the book devote an entire episode/issue to explaining how Jon perceives time and it's explicitly not this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

rich thick and creamy posted:

You sound as if Manhattan somehow lost the ability to lie in that intrinsic field generator.

One of his basic personality traits is annoying and freaking out other characters by being inhumanly honest.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Huh.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122116/

quote:

Upon moving into a bigoted neighborhood, the scientist father of a persecuted black family gives a superpower elixir to a tough bodyguard, who thus becomes a superpowered crimefighter.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This movie rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeShQyd8dw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno. My overwhelming memory of the show is that they made the cop characters, particularly Angela, very cool. Yeah, they do bad things, but they're kinda awesome at it.

She's badass. So's Laurie. Even Lookingglass is a lovable loser with a sympathetic backstory. If they're meant to be so bad, why depict their actions so favourably? They're not unlikable. They're often quite the opposite, even when they're doing horrible things.

Sounds like Rorschach being simultaneously 'cool' and admirable ethically / a far-right crazy in the comics, so I guess they nailed Watchmen.

e: I mean, what kind of weird juvenile morality are people functioning under when they think that 'bad' characters being fun and cool is a mistake? It's basically Alan Moore's thesis on the innate fascism of superheroes.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 23, 2020