Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

maybe if the lions wanted the refs to favor them they shouldn't have been systemically complete garbage for their entire existence. in unrelated news my monitor is on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rad Valtar posted:

The first illegal hands to face directly led to a Packers TD the very next play instead of it being 4th down and either a punt or a field goal. Now you could say that "well you don't know what might have happened after that play.". You are correct we don't know because the Lions and the fans were robbed of the chance to see how differently the game would have played out with a correct no penalty call.

The second illegal hands to the face was still bad but not as much because it made the field goal at the end easier.

More critically, it allowed the packers to run the clock out.

Give me a few minutes, I need to check something.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Rad Valtar posted:

The second illegal hands to the face was still bad but not as much because it made the field goal at the end easier.

It allowed the Packers to run the clock down and ensure Detroit couldn't get the ball back after the FG which they would have if that play had been called correctly.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

maybe if the lions wanted the refs to favor them they shouldn't have been systemically complete garbage for their entire existence. in unrelated news my monitor is on

:hmmyes:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Groovelord Neato posted:

that is incredible.

and left no time on the clock.

Yeah I forgot about that.

I just want games officiated correctly and if the team still loses so be it. We shouldn't see people criticizing refs and go well the team should have played better. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Diva Cupcake posted:

Maybe this wouldn't happen if the Lions just played better football.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1184098705282158598

The Packers called a timeout. This would have been a free play and the flag isn't thrown until the snap. Not remotely the same thing.

Edit: just read that the Lions got only 58 yards in the second half

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 15, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, an 18 run baseball game this season (just picked a random game) took 3:33 (213 minutes) to complete. There were 323 pitches in the game (no clue on pick off attempts), or a rate of about a pitch every 40 seconds (this usually holds true for most games, but :effort:)

The average NFL game is 3:12, but can vary (couldn't find the time for last night's). Assuming that was the actual length, 124 plays were run. A whopping 93 seconds***** on average happens between plays. Now, to be fair, this is stupidly inaccurate since in the middle of a drive, the play clock is 40 seconds. But once you factor in commercial breaks and halftime, the pace is slower than baseball.

Would longer, slower feeling games be worth it for more reviews? You decide. And yes, small sample sizes etc.

Also the NFL's mobile website sucks.

E: if you go by 60m/ plays, it comes out to a much more realistic a play every 29 seconds

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 15, 2019

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Packers called a timeout. This would have been a free play and the flag isn't thrown until the snap. Not remotely the same thing.

It's the same thing if you don't know the rule :v:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Guze posted:

It's the same thing if you don't know the rule :v:

I mean, it's Florio, so that's a given.

Lost in the ref mess is LaFleur called a really good game given the lack of receivers and all of the drops. Been very impressed by his playcalling.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot Diggity! posted:

I mean, it's Florio, so that's a given.

Lost in the ref mess is LaFleur called a really good game given the lack of receivers and all of the drops. Been very impressed by his playcalling.

Yeah, he seems to have found his footing now, which is good. Also halftime adjustments, finally!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Allison is probably out for a week, I'm interested to see what Lazard can do with more practice reps with Rodgers.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

On the one hand, flags are no fun.

On the other hand, a rule shouldn’t be subject to the flow of the game - if something’s a foul, it should be called every single time until the players play better. Consistency is the most important thing if the outcome of the game is meaningful.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Guze posted:

Allison is probably out for a week, I'm interested to see what Lazard can do with more practice reps with Rodgers.

Shepard dropped down to the bottom of the depth chart. It's hard to excuse his fuckups.

Did they say Allison had a concussion? I mean, it sured looked like it, but I hadn't seen it confirmed.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

We should have known that the reffing was going to be terrible when the Lions got a TD on 4th and goal, with one ref signalling for time, one signalling for Packers ball, and one signalling for TD.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot Diggity! posted:

We should have known that the reffing was going to be terrible when the Lions got a TD on 4th and goal, with one ref signalling for time, one signalling for Packers ball, and one signalling for TD.

They ruled TD because it seems the refs have been instructed to call the result of a play that's automatically reviewable and then review it.

That said, I don't think the lions would have won that challenge if it was called short. I personally didn't see it cross on replay but who knows.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

iospace posted:

They ruled TD because it seems the refs have been instructed to call the result of a play that's automatically reviewable and then review it.

That said, I don't think the lions would have won that challenge if it was called short. I personally didn't see it cross on replay but who knows.

Oh no I'm aware of how they call it, more pointing out three different calls by the refs at once.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Oh no I'm aware of how they call it, more pointing out three different calls by the refs at once.

I don't think they actually reviewed it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't think they actually reviewed it.

every scoring play is reviewed by the replay official.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah there just wasn't enough to overturn it either way

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

every scoring play is reviewed by the replay official.
I know that's supposed to happen, but they literally lined up for the PAT right away and kicked it. Must've been like a 1 second review. I don't think Riveron is actually doing anything in NYC.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm pretty sure breaking the huddle with too much man is the penalty

I know I've seen the breaking the huddle :flag: before

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It is on offense. On defense it becomes a penalty when the snap is imminent. I dunno when the Packers called a TO though.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

I know that's supposed to happen, but they literally lined up for the PAT right away and kicked it. Must've been like a 1 second review. I don't think Riveron is actually doing anything in NYC.

Jerking it raw to the tears hes causing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Q_res posted:

The Packers went from being down 22-13 to winning 23 to 22. Everyone single one of those ten points was scored after the Detroit Defense sacked Rodgers on 3rd down and the refs turned around and gave Green Bay a first down on egregiously awful, phantom calls. It takes a special kind of stupid to blame that on the Lions. And that ignores the uncalled PI against GBs defense and the other awful calls in that game.

But like *hits bong* what is causality even, mannn?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Maybe this wouldn't happen if the Lions just played better football.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1184098705282158598

You'd think Patricia wouldn't be getting outcheated with his background but alas

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Hot Diggity! posted:

Why is Florio such a poo poo head

vvv

More like unsurprising fact

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 15, 2019

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Weird fact: Rodgers' last four interceptions have all come off of drops from the receiver

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Hot Diggity! posted:

Weird fact: Rodgers' last four interceptions have all come off of drops from the receiver

I'm pretty sure his only 2 INTs last season where off the hands of Jimmy Graham.

Rodgers good.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

That one off Shepard was as flukey as it gets.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Mayfield is the next Rodgers confirmed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I think what makes the game feel particularly egregious is that it wasn't just one call, and the refs effectively helped Green Bay and hurt Detroit on four back-to-back drives leading right into the end of the game: The overturn of the Kerryon catch and fumble, the first hands to the face, the no-call on DPI, and the second hands to the face that ended the game. All of these calls (Or no-calls) came on 3rd down, in the 4th, and each played a significant part in the game's outcome.

Should the Lions have played better? Absolutely. Only getting 3 field goals off of 3 turnovers was simply killer, and the 12 men on the field that turned a field goal into a touchdown was utterly inexcusable. But what strikes me is that in spite of the dumb mistakes, the Lions were still in a position to win the game, and probably would have, if not for the utterly atrocious officiating in the 4th quarter. That's what makes the result so hard to swallow, and why so many people are frustrated—because Detroit was effectively cheated out of a chance to fairly win (Or lose, because I'll always be upfront that the Lions losing is to be expected in all circumstances) the game because of it.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It is on offense. On defense it becomes a penalty when the snap is imminent. I dunno when the Packers called a TO though.
On offense, the penalty is called as soon as the 12th man enters the huddle. (breaking the huddle with 12 may be the NCAA or HS rule)

On defense, 12 men is a pre-snap penalty (i.e. throw the flag, stop the clock, and don't let the offense snap the ball) if the extra defenders are "in its formation for more than three seconds, or [...] in its formation and the snap is imminent." If the extra players are running toward the sideline (but don't make it before the snap) it's an offside-style free play. The pre-snap penalty is a 2012 change.

So the Packers didn't really have anyone in formation, since they were so confused, and then they called timeout before the snap, hence no flag.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"Don't be in a position to lose a game because of refs" is really loving stupid of the only reason they were in a position to lose a game because of refs was also because of the refs spending the entire 4th quarter making sure the fix was in.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think what makes the game feel particularly egregious is that it wasn't just one call, and the refs effectively helped Green Bay and hurt Detroit on four back-to-back drives leading right into the end of the game: The overturn of the Kerryon catch and fumble, the first hands to the face, the no-call on DPI, and the second hands to the face that ended the game. All of these calls (Or no-calls) came on 3rd down, in the 4th, and each played a significant part in the game's outcome.

Should the Lions have played better? Absolutely. Only getting 3 field goals off of 3 turnovers was simply killer, and the 12 men on the field that turned a field goal into a touchdown was utterly inexcusable. But what strikes me is that in spite of the dumb mistakes, the Lions were still in a position to win the game, and probably would have, if not for the utterly atrocious officiating in the 4th quarter. That's what makes the result so hard to swallow, and why so many people are frustrated—because Detroit was effectively cheated out of a chance to fairly win (Or lose, because I'll always be upfront that the Lions losing is to be expected in all circumstances) the game because of it.

Don't forget that the Lions only touchdown came on a call where referees that couldn't see where the ball was at were enthusiastically calling for a turnover-on-downs. At the party I was at, some guys were saying the fix was in then and the touchdown will get overturned.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

Don't forget that the Lions only touchdown came on a call where referees that couldn't see where the ball was at were enthusiastically calling for a turnover-on-downs. At the party I was at, some guys were saying the fix was in then and the touchdown will get overturned.

Two refs signaled opposite things.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Q_res posted:

It allowed the Packers to run the clock down and ensure Detroit couldn't get the ball back after the FG which they would have if that play had been called correctly.

It's not like this Matt Stafford guy is known for comebacks or anything....

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
"Why don't NFL teams just dominate the opponent by 4 TDs every game so it doesn't matter?" -- An actual thing people think

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I know nobody gives a poo poo about this but it's kinda interesting to see that the NFL is going through the exact same controversy/conundrum with reviews and challenges that soccer is going through with the Video Assistant Referee, both sports at the same time

it turns out it's really hard to strike a balance between being fair with referee's decisions and not being a miserable sport to watch (yeah I know "but soccer always has been miserable to watch lmfao!!!")

thanks and God bless !

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 15, 2019

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Matt Patricia is like if a shower drain was a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

same old sorry rear end lions