Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Unlucky7 posted:

I am wondering, am I supposed to only choose cooldown only if I am done for the day, or if I just want to take a break (Which, shamefully, is after every major course)?

I think cool down is for when you're wrapping up since it returns you to the main menu and gives you your daily total stats.

Day one and this game is super fun and way more engaging than Wii fit ever was. Exp makes everything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gentleman Baller posted:

The best thing about leveling up is the game calls your stat increases 'gains' and it makes me smile every single time.

The best is the phantom chest that goes from flabby to Abby when you use yellow moves.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Got my first workout in. Just the first world to get a feel for things. Felt good, though one of my knee's is already sore from the jogging in place. The actual battle exercises are a lot more fun for me than the random running around.

Guess we'll see how tomorrow goes!

The jogging sections get more interesting for sure. I won't spoil the cool awesome environmental things, but later levels have smoothie ingredients and lots more coins to vacuum up. Also air puff everything! Random terrain bits can spit out coins when you puff them, not to mention you get more exp for doing more ring pushes at the end of the level! I just cleared world 3 and I've done like 1300 ring pushes. I also say "Puff Puff Puff" as I'm doing it.

One thing that I actually want is an option to finish the reps after the last monster is killed. It's a little jarring when you do 5/24 knee lifts and suddenly it's over, or you only work your left side with warrior pose. Plus you get more exp for more reps and I want ALL THE EXP.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I was showing people the trailer to explain the game and saw that at some point a skill tree unlocks.

Listen game, you're already fun and engaging and I'm exercising, but I'm trying to pace myself. I'm going to collapse from exhaustion trying to get all the sweet sweet xp.

Guess I'll stick up on healing smoothies before tackling the world 4 boss! The nice thing about this game is that even if you're grinding for xp or items, you're still working out! Genius!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Argue posted:

Is there a way to make it so that if you get a smoothie in the game you get a smoothie for real

Hard pass on the Super Spinach smoothie thanks.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I finished World 4 this morning, difficulty 17 is pretty rough. By the end of a 28-rep bow pull my arms are shaking and 17 planks is BRUTAL. Everything about this game is absolutely fantastic and I can't wait for tonight to do a second round and unlock some new stuff.

Keep pressing me against your stomach!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

Is there any way to simply go for a run through the world as a kind of single non-adventure mode exercise?

Also the graphics are actually nice but everything is a bit generic; why couldn't they have called it Mario Fit and have you running through the various kingdoms, the game would be selling like hot cakes.

I'm incredibly grateful it's not attached to any other IP. It's charming and wonderful with its own characters and style and there's no need to drag Mario into it.

I for one look forward to Ring, Dragaux, and Honey & Hubby appearing in future games.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tempura Wizard posted:

Nominating this as the thread mantra. Let’s all do our best at our personal fitness quests! The positivity and judgement free zone. :3:

The game feels this way, too! You're never penalized for stopping during an exercise set, Ring says "no rush, though" when he tells you to stand up after a sitting exercise.

Everyone can and should do things at their own pace.

This game is amazing because it is the single best incentive I could be given to exercise. I want all the benefits of a regular workout, but the only way my stupid brain will agree to it is with experience points.

The other thing is like, Wii fit was kinda judgey. It made your Mii's body type based on your actual weight (so mine was a loving pencil-man and my son's was hella chubby). It was also really passive aggressive about your attendance or the goals you set.

Ring Fit is just the opposite, it's basically just a mom, gently encouraging you to do your best but reminding you to take care of yourself and that it's proud of you no matter what.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Is there a 7 day activity achievement or does that cap at 5? Just so I can be aware to clear it off.

And also, another option for "thread mantra." "Increase your pace!" Idk why my lizard brain responds so well to Ring saying that. But the fast paced moves feel better to me. Probably less time straining on some of the tougher movements. Or alternately, it feels good to do the overhead ring presses faster. Like you're getting more *oomph* out of em.

It definitely feels easier when you get to the light blue and increase the pace. It switches the feeling from really working and straining that muscle group to focusing on breathing and rhythm, which distracts you from the fact that your legs are screaming at you for choosing wide squats again because it's your best blue AoE move.

Also, obviously the two best lines Ring says are "Keep pressing me into your stomach!" and "Your sweat is so shiny and beautiful!"

You're a weird, kinky circle, Ring.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Countblanc posted:

does the game ever give the option to strengthen older skills' damage? i'd like to keep doing squats but when they're doing less than half the damage of my other skills it just doesn't really make much sense.

You'll get wide squats and overhead squats as newer, much stronger attacks. There are also levels with squats. So many squats. When you get to the world 5 boss level you will squat and squat and squat.You can also do some of the game gyms that are squat based.

Today I finished world 6! Pushed up to difficulty 20 and squatted my way to victory. And then did some more squats with a side of squats. Squats to attack, squats in the fitness gym (Glutes set), and squats in the jogging sections.

Every day is leg day.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm going to have to pick this up, aren't I?

I've a gym membership I'm too lazy to use, but I'm fairly sure that Watching Numbers Go Up will be the thing I need to trick my brain into doing things. Plus, my wife enjoys going for a run, but it's tricky when the days get shorter Because Murders, so it will be nice to have something we can both do in the comfort of our own, currently murderer free, home.

I have zero motivation to exercise on my own. I haven't missed a day since getting this game and I'm excited to play/work out with it every day.

My only small complaint is that it's not easy to target a specific type of workout in the adventure mode. Maybe that will change post game or later on. Like if I want a level that's mostly jogging and the light exercises in the jogging sections I can't just do that. Like world 6 is just boss battles, so you're doing a lot less cardio and way more squats or whatever attacks you have set.

That said, get it for sure! As a game it's very well done, oozing with charm, and both fun and engaging. As an exercise aid, it's got me sweating and working tons of different muscles.

It is single player only so hopefully fighting over the game doesn't alter the current murder-related state of your home.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
If you're at or close to the recommended level for a battle you should have no trouble clearing it. However if you're at the point where you have a healing move, the game is tuned so that you will need to heal during boss battles. Smoothies are great because they don't use a turn. Money is plentiful so don't be afraid to buy ingredients if the healing moves kick your rear end.

Regular ab guard barely registers on the abs but Mega Ab Guard man, you really feel it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just recently (like, 2 weeks ago) started lifting dumbbells at home in an attempt to not be a worthless piece of poo poo, and thinking of picking this up. My impression of this game was mostly cardio but with like some leg and ab workouts thrown in, would it thus compliment my dumbbells well? I’ll probably pick it up regardless, but would be nice if I could tie it into my newly made routine I’m hoping to not abandon. How long are average play sessions, roughly?

Also, how is this game as an RPG, ignoring the workout parts? :v:

There's actually way more work on and and legs because the resistance ring can only offer so much on the arms, so it will absolutely complement a non-game arm regimen. I finish with my legs very aware of themselves and my arms just a little confused and unsure if we did anything strenuous. Lots of shoulder and back work as well.

The game tracks the time you spend actively moving and I try to go for 20-35 minutes. One level is usually 5-10 minutes and the minigames are like 60-90 seconds. There are also micro workouts in custom mode or you can build sets of your exercise of choice.

The RPG mechanics are excellent. There is some strategy to your loadout, like picking single target vs. AoE , having a good color mix so you can target weaknesses, and using smoothies to buff specific attacks or change attack colors. You get xp from everything, which means I'll just do extra ring presses or pulls during the jogging section just for xp. The skill tree is cool but it's no FFX or path of exile. There are also equipment sets, boss battles with surprise mechanics, and fun minigames (whack-a-robot with the ring is great).

Get it get it get it. I can't stop telling people about this game.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
My carpet is kinda rough and I got some plank scabs real fast. Definitely use a yoga mat or like a soft bath towel.

organburner posted:

How?
I don't think your elbows are supposed to move, are you using like a super rough mat?

They're not supposed to move but my entire body isn't supposed to scream either and planks kinda make both of those things happen.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Um does doing the defense ab guard better or worse have an effect on damage taken? I just lost to bossman from full health with a double punch that took 2 hearts each even with the guard up.

If you're even a couple levels under the recommended you're going to take a ton of damage. The window for defense is pretty tight so make sure you're upgrading outfits and keep stock on defense up smoothies.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Saxophone posted:

I'm 37 and just had a kid and that whole "uh, huh, I kinda want to be around to see this kid graduate and get married and do life things" thing. I'm definitely in the obese category, but my job is very physical just not particularly cardio-y. So I'm really strong, just fat-strong and winded easily.

Quick question though, I keep hearing about squats. My knees aren't great, how hard is this game on them? I know not as hard as continuing to be 300 pounds is gonna be on them, but still, I want to lose some weight before I start doing anything to stressing on myself.

As a person of half that mass I can't really comment on squats vs. knees but they're a lot of work in the quads. If you have to lift heavy things you probably already squat to do so (lift with your legs!), so go off that.

That said, the game does do an initial calibration on your range of motion (which I believe you can recalibrate at will). It takes a lot of motion for me to activate the high-knees or sprinting in the jogging sections, but my son was a lot less enthusiastic in his calibration and it detects those with a lot less from him.

On cardio, I do think the game could use some longer levels, or with the battles lumped at the end so you spend more time on the aerobics like jogging or the twisty-abs rowing. Some sessions I'm sore but feeling good, others I'm sweating and chugging water from the cardio. I guess that's a good thing since you're supposed to vary your workouts?

Anyway, get it, get fit. Make numbers go up, including your lifespan. It's a total win.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Is it the same amount of total damage per skill with all reps summed up?

Yes, and the experience is the same as well. It's always 300 xp for a complete attack or healing move regardless of number of reps.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It would be nice to have part-based difficulty settings or something. Planks I can knock out 30 with little issue. But squats I have been saving for the end of fights because when I do 30 of those I am out of commission for a good half minute or so

I was thinking the same thing. I could ring raise combo all day but I'm shaking and grunting to get through a second set of leg lifts or a third set of overhead squats at difficulty 20.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
My skill setup is so fuckin' brutal right now. Leg Lifts, Flutter Kicks, Leg Scissors, Ring Raise Combo (my only friend), Mountain Climbers, Warrior 3, Hip Lifts, and Shoulder Press (we are becoming friends).

So difficult but maybe I'll finally turn this diet snapple into a 6-pack.

Also mountain climbers are easy when you're a skinny lanky dude. We each have our demons. Leg Lifts get me shaking halfway through the first set.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Don't forget that there's no time limit for doing reps with your attacks. You don't have to speed up on the blue part of the bar and you can stop and rest any time you need to.

Drink water, catch your breath, finish your set.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Still really enjoying this game, more so now that it becomes miserably cold outside and I can work up a sweat indoors. There are a couple things that bug me although idk if it’s because I’ve been doing the targeted workouts instead of progressing (gently caress the Boat Pose). I’m only level 37 on the Four Masters world at the moment.

first, is there any way to elect to finish an exercise even if you beat a monster? I love bow pull but half the time it kills monsters on the left side and then I never get to switch to the right. I suppose I could just... keep going until I finish, but then I don’t get video game credit!

Second, do the exercises ever upgrade? I love some of the earlier arm exercises but their damage sucks.

No, there's no option to finish your set when you kill all your targets. It's frustrating because for sets where you switch sides the game always starts with the same side.

Starting at level 65 you'll discover a way to get stronger versions of early exercises.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Oh, what's the last one after the uhh, jumps?

Going off the trailers I'm gonna say it's flight. Press me into your abs to fly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The one complaint I have about the game design so far is the lifegain exercises. So far they seem kind of useless when smoothies let you gain back life without using up a turn. I don't know if in higher worlds it becomes more necessary but right now I would want to do those exercises but it doesn't make sense to use them for optimal combat effectiveness

Edit: This game has also rekindled my love of smoothies in real-life, treating myself with a peach-mango-yogurt-peanut butter blend
Every exercise is worth 300 xp. When you drop a double XP smoothie you can get some extra mileage out of it by using healing exercises instead of chain chugging spinach or cress.