Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have been having a tough time getting into a regular exercise routine (apart from going to yoga class every Friday night) and I must say that this game has been very helpful for exactly that. I have to stop myself after a half hour though so I don’t push myself too much, but the RPG elements make me want to keep going!! I’m relatively healthy so the game hasn’t been too difficult, in fact I think I’m going to increase the difficulty because the battles are too easy. I also find that my RPG efficiency brain is making the battles kind of boring because I pretty much only stick to the most effective attacks so most of my battles right now (world 5 I think?) consist of a lot of Bow Pulls and Planks. My favorite is the Knee Lifts though because it’s basically skanking and all of my years of going to punk/ska shows have prepared me to excel at it.

My only question is, is there a way to jump higher? Do I just have to squeeze the ring really hard? I find that there are a lot of secret paths in levels that I just can’t jump high enough to reach, I just jump headfirst into the higher path lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Peanuts* and almonds and other nuts are excellent snacks. I also like to eat trail mix. A lot of companies now make protein granola bars, I eat the nature valley ones a lot they’re good.

*yes I know peanuts are legumes and not nuts

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I do a lot of squats (and yoga) so I thought wide squats would be easy for me. I wasn’t prepared.

Also mountain climbers are the worst, that gym where you do four leg exercises is loving brutal. I am taking a rest day today because that killed me yesterday.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Uhh I guess the best way to describe it is you get in a modified push-up position, with your butt slightly higher than normal, put one knee forward and extend the other leg back, in a sort of runner’s lunge, then you switch legs while jumping very slightly.

They’re brutal. Not as much as burpees though, gently caress burpees.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was at level 15 for my first ten or so sessions but I have been steadily creeping upward one level at a time. What changes as you increase difficulty? The enemies’ power levels? How hard you have to squeeze/run/whatever to get it to register?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bushisms.txt posted:

Mountain climbers bad

When I did personal training last year we only did mountain climbers while on an incline ie with our hands on a block or something and not on the ground. Doing it with your hands on the ground is just loving brutal.

I just unlocked skill trees, I’m excited. Also, read this article:

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/jrpg-fan-accidentally-gets-too-jacked-after-weeks-of-grinding-in-ring-fit/

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bushisms.txt posted:

Good shout. We've got yoga blocks, time to bust them out

If you have like a low table/chair or an ottoman that won’t slide, those also work and will put you slightly higher. But i haven’t tried it so I don’t know how low you have to be to get the game to register your position.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Armand fists you

I got nothin

I just got to ch 6 and am not looking forward to fighting the Dark Four Masters. Then again I’m like five levels higher than the recommended level so fights haven’t been too bad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm pretty new to this whole "physical activity" stuff so sorry if this answer is, uh, obvious, but how do I know when I'm getting close to my body's limit, and what level of tiredness should I be shooting for for when I'm done? I cleared the first world in my first session and ended at difficulty 19, but holy goddamn poo poo I felt like death afterwards. I just laid down on the couch for like 15 minutes trying not to throw up. I figured I probably pushed myself too hard, so when starting world 2 today I asked the game to turn the difficulty down to 16. I was able to clear the first level okay (with a heart rate of 95% :confuoot:) then in the second level died to the first group of three enemies from not realizing I wasn't pushing ab guard in enough (and forgetting to keep holding it while enemies attacked, lol). I retried and after my first attack or two, realized I was starting to get the feeling I was hitting my limit, so I quit in the middle of the fight. I didn't need to lie down and puke, which was good, but I still felt crappy and a bit sick. I suspect it's better to turn the difficulty down and go for longer, rather than burning myself out too quickly like this. However, I don't really know what it even means to hit my "limit" or to push myself "too far". What kind of feeling should I be aiming for, really? To be tired and a bit sore, but not much beyond that? I'm a bit worried of going too easy and not getting anything out of it and not actually growing or improving any, but I suspect if I push myself too hard so I always feel like poo poo after working out, all the JRPG grinding in the world won't be motivation enough to keep me coming back.

Also, should I be working out every day? I had heard it's better to do so every other day, but the game seems to suggest doing it every day.

Also also, when I start getting more workout attacks to choose from, should I generally try to keep them balanced? Target only areas of my body I want to work out? Either?

I don't know what I'm doing!!

All of those things you are describing are ways your body tells you that you’re pushing yourself too far. You shouldn’t feel like you’re going to throw up, your heart rate absolutely should NOT be getting above 90% for prolonged periods. Probably not above 80%, for that matter. Drop the difficulty level and take it slow. Make sure you are doing the dynamic stretch and cool down every session, as well.

If you’re worried you aren’t going to be doing enough, pushing yourself too hard is the wrong way to go about it because there’s a serious chance of injury. Start small and if it’s too easy gradually increase the difficulty until you work up a sweat and feel like your muscles are getting worked.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bushisms.txt posted:

Yup, today I just did Allegra's test, and it was just squats rotating with knee lifts, and I had to start resting between squats. By the third battle I knew it was all I was gonna do for the day.

What about Thigh Squeezes or whatever it’s called. That one is super easy. I just unlocked the overhead wide squats and am excited/terrified to try them since I basically always cheat at wide squats by resting my elbows on my knees.

Knee Lifts are the best though, reminds me of being in a circle pit at a punk/ska show.

Edit: lol you can unlock Warrior III, yeah right like I would voluntarily do Warrior III

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I feel like giving a title for working out so many days in a row (unless that number were 3 or 4) would be antithetical to the game’s philosophy of not pushing yourself too hard. Nintendo doesn’t want to encourage people to hurt themselves by never taking days off.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mods change the thread title to “Ring Fit Adventure - gently caress Mountain Climbers”

If I know I’m going to finish right before a Drageaux fight, I always leave some other thing like a quest or a gym so that I can use that to warm up before the fight. Drageaux fights can be long and brutal in the early game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Planks rule, I would rather do planks than hip shakes which seem to do nothing at all. But if you aren’t used to doing them they’re pretty brutal, especially since the game makes you do them on your forearms and your “attack” is just switching between it and dolphin pose. Wii Fit U had a mode where you tried to plank longer than the trainer, I found that one fun. But holding a plank for longer than like ten seconds sucks.

I know I keep saying this, but yoga rules and when you all tire of this game I’d recommend a beginner vinyasa flow class.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Every yoga studio I’ve gone to does morning classes and some even have late morning/early afternoon ones. But I know getting up early to work out is tough for most people, myself included. I used to get up to do spin at 8:30am on Sundays and I dunno how I did it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You end up getting tons of those gems later. Not that it helps you now!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You should be doing a fairly shallow back bend. I’m not sure how you can adjust without watching you do it, unfortunately.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, I think I broke something doing this game. My left knee has started clicking a lot when I do leg exercises and I have tiny pangs in it every now and then. Is that a thing I should get checked out?

I still don’t understand how to do mountain climber.

Does it hurt when you bend/extend your leg? If so you may have damaged your popliteus, which I did like six months ago. It’s the muscle on the back of your knee that bends/extends your leg. It sucks. I had a medical student check out my knee to confirm it, you might try talking to your doctor about it if it persists.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Wear shorts and strap it directly to your skin. I had a lot of trouble wearing it over my clothes.

I did this and it worked really well. But for some reason I keep playing in sweat pants and I really don’t recommend doing that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

John Lee posted:

guys guys

Out of Breath of the Wild

New thread title pleas mods

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My code is 2662-4564-1515 add me plz

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Junpei Hyde posted:

it was the leg gym so I havent unlocked them proper yet, when do they unlock?

When you die and end up in The Bad Place

I unlocked flutter kicks today, I’m super pumped to try them. If I die tell my wife I loved her

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RVWinkle posted:

I was thinking of checking this out but it was low on my list after seeing there's no known black Friday deals. Shortly after, I happened to be in a Walmart and noticed that it was being sold at a much lower price compared to all the online listings. Anyway, if anyone is looking to buy, it may be a good idea to check your local Walmart as it was listed at $68.33. YMMV I suppose but you'll still burn some calories by simply walking a lap around the store.

This might come as a shock to you, but you burn significantly more calories in a shorter amount of time doing dedicated, vigorous exercise than just walking.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I do a half hour each time. I have an Apple Watch and set it to “other” under exercise. Once I see a half hour or so has elapsed I stop. If I am doing stuff like making smoothies or navigating menus or whatever I will pause it so most of my time is spent actually exercising.

I got Leg Lifts and tbh they’re easier if you lean back like it tells you to. If you sit up in more of a boat pose you get more out of it. World 7 down! I really love this game.

I bought a scale to see if I’m losing weight and I guess I am a little? I’m at 204 and the last time I was weighed it was closer to 210. I think I just need to eat less but I’m hungry drat it!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

You can't outrun a bad diet. Cut sugar and ALL starchy snacks, those are particularly bad for you.

My wife and I switched to seltzer water from soda a couple years ago (like many people our generation) and holy poo poo sugar cravings are real and terrible. I usually eat something very small to satisfy the craving like one cookie or a small piece of dark chocolate or one of those 100 calorie frozen yogurt bars. But I could never cut sugar completely out of my diet, I like to eat fruit and chocolate and stuff too much. And I usually snack on nuts or trail mix or nutty granola bars, not starches. But I also don’t count calories that I eat or portion out my food or anything because that’s way too tedious. I guess I’ll never be back at 175 like I was when I worked at a bicycle shop!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t want to lose weight bad enough to try some kind of fad diet but this isn’t a thread about nutrition it’s a thread about a fun exercise video game. And I will continue to exercise and probably be healthy even if I am still 200lbs. Maybe I’ll commit to eating less calories but I love food so it’s difficult!

Edit: my evil coworkers leave delicious candy on their desks because they want me to fail. The temptation is very strong.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 25, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wide Squats are cake compared to Overhead Squats, the ultimate squat fit for a Squat Master. My current title is like Threefold Squat Master or something lol

Flutter Kicks are hard, Leg Raises are easy the way they are done in the game, Warrior III is the goddamn worst but I keep doing them for some reason, being forced to hold the ring over your head means they work every goddamn muscle in your body and it kinda feels good? Anyway I can’t imagine someone who has never done yoga trying Warrior III for the first time in this game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i squat so much that squats feels good. i've ascended.

edit: that being said, i did a glutes gym where they ended with a chair pose and wowwee.

Of course the put Chair at the end so your glutes are already exhausted, making it ten times harder than it needs to be. Good times.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought that leg raises and flurry kicks and stuff were easy but doing chapter 8 (9? The Solar Plexia one) and mostly using yellow exercises killed me last night. My lower abs are very sore today. It turns out doing a bunch of them all in a row makes it way tougher! Who knew?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crossposting from the Switch thread:

Apparently Ring Fit Adventure is so popular in Japan that it’s selling out in retail stores and Nintendo is scrambling to ship more units.

I haven’t seen any US sales figures yet, but I imagine it’s going to be a popular gift this season.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2019/1129.html

It’s in Japanese but it’s an apology for stock shortages and a promise to ship more units before the end of the year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You’ll need room to raise and lower your legs for some of them, or move them side to side, so make sure you aren’t kicking a table or something. I had that issue.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s NG+ also Adventure mode is ridiculously long apparently so I don’t think you need to plan for that quite yet

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I bumped my difficulty up to 20 after starting at... 11 originally?

poo poo is brutal. So many squats and you have to go deeper and hold them longer.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How many loving worlds are there?!? drat

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SelenicMartian posted:

Ah, poo poo... the skill tree expands again at Lv. 130.

Good to know that this game will last for the rest of my life*

*assuming society doesn’t collapse before then.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh poo poo I never thought about making smoothies and selling them.

Use them to buy ingredients to make more sesame smoothies so you can get more ingredients to make smoothies to sell to buy more ingredients.... and so on

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chin Strap posted:

I don't understand what I did wrong with mega ab guard. I did ab guard and squatted. Is there more to it? I was getting yelled at to rotate my ring but nothing helped. Wiped me out from full in one hit because game didn't like my mega ab guard.

That sounds like a calibration issue. It shouldn’t even let you start the attack without getting into position. If you face the ring down, that re-centers it so idk that might help next time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dreadmill is loving terrible. The side quest to perfectly collect every coin in Dreadmill is horrendous. gently caress that quest foreverrrrr

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The best exercise is the knee lift combo where you lift each knee and then do a squat. By which I mean I feel like I’m gonna die after in the best way possible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Increase the difficulty if you aren’t feeling even, that might help? It’ll increase the number of reps but do the same amount of damage.

Or maybe try equipping lower-tier gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well the ring is sensitive to the force you put on it, hence the title screen and how it gives you a % for how much you’re squeezing it. So I’m not surprised they went to that level of detail because it’s Nintendo.

I too hope they release some patches considering this game is selling like crazy in Japan and will probably be a popular gift for Christmas.