Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

KozmoNaut posted:

That verse continues with:

Snot running down his nose
Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.

The entire album is an attack on capitalism and organized religion for ignoring the plight of the downtrodden.

This is the album with the song about the child prostitute who is compared to Robin Hood because she takes money from the rich, right?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just a coincidence then, that of all the millions of different kind of people who might plausibly be chosen to such a study, that the first two figures chosen are a pedophile and a child prostitute (satiric, we say) hero.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Ah yes, the pedophile, such a tragic figure.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

News Anchor: We wish to warn viewers that this report contains scenes of graphic violence.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

KoRMaK posted:

also the ongoing relationship of your employer to the canal and you and your career to the employer

Much like most relationships under captilism

Also the toll to enter the canal. No idea what it is for Suez, but for the Panama Canal it's something in the region of a million dollars for a container ship.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lemony posted:

If it's a text arguing that, in addition to its uselessness as an information gathering device and it's general unethical nature, torture is also bad because of the psychological toll it takes on those who do it, then maybe I could give it a pass. Especially if it discusses the ethics of the decision to torture being made higher up the chain, so the people doing the torturing may not have had a choice in the matter, therefore they might also be considered victims of a sort.

I would bet it is instead about how torture is totally cool guys, and we should respect the hard men who made the hard choice to help safeguard their country, especially since they were injured psychologically in the line of duty. I mean, that basically makes them the same as someone whose vehicle got tagged by an IED.

I googled about a bit, here's an excerpt from a review:

quote:

Phillips sets the book out as an investigation of the self-inflicted death of one US soldier, and his experience of the war. Within that journalistic wrapping, well written as it is, there is a very serious examination of the use of torture in the two wars. The questions explored include how the systematic abuse began, the extent to which it was authorised and directed from above, or equally emerged from the logic of occupation itself. The impact upon both the soldiers and the victims themselves in Iraq and Afghanistan is well handled. The book might appear at a quick glance to be privileging the sufferings of the torturers over the victims, but Phillips in fact avoids this trap and brings home the full horror of the war crimes inflicted upon the occupied populations.

However, it is not simply the logic of occupation, or even the inbuilt sadism of the military that created a regime of torture. Phillips shows that there were pre-existing opinions in elite circles of the military, the media and the political world that justified and even celebrated torture. Figures of authority created a pervasive atmosphere in which it could seem possible and even heroic for ordinary soldiers to torture their prisoners, and perhaps commit other war crimes. Phillips shows quite convincingly that film and television, the egregious ‘24’ in particular, had a strong impact upon the attitudes of soldiers in training at West Point, for example, or even those stationed at Guantanamo Bay. Specific orders and plans to direct soldiers to engage in torture were probably unnecessary, and one suspects most of those in charge knew this full well.

Even more than that however was the explicit approval given to what might be called an ideology of torture by figures such as Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. It is through a web of authoritative influences, as much as the ‘Torture Memos’ themselves, that the responsibility for the abuse and killings of civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan can be found. The soldiers had been convinced by their leaders at home that anything they did to get ‘the bad guys’ was condoned and indeed encouraged. The language of simplistic brutality is not used by ordinary soldiers without the connivance and approval of their superiors.

https://www.counterfire.org/articles/book-reviews/7698-none-of-us-were-like-this-before-american-soldiers-and-torture

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is that "But" supposed to be an "Even"? As in "Even conservative union organizers knew..."

Because otherwise that makes no drat sense.

It's a play on the oft-repeated cliche that America is a "republic, not a democracy" that aspiring pedants trot out when someone talks about democracy. Often this canard is trotted out by republicans in response to complaints about things like rural voters having disproportionate power, or as a non-sequitur distraction to deflect criticism of, say, voting rights or voter ID. The joke here is someone applying that cliche to calls for more democracy in the workplace, saying "no, what we need is workplace republics", and by putting it in the mouth of a conservative speaker to derive humour from the notion that the "conservative" viewpoint on this would be massively more radically left-wing than the current reality.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
What bothers me more than anything else is “using their name”. That was a fad for a bit in a job I had before, must ask the customer “can I call you [firstname]”, must try and say that name at least twice on the call.

No, gently caress that, nobody talks like that! There are appropriate contextual times in a conversation to address someone by their name, and most conversations do not actually feature them. Using someone’s name outside of those times is painfully obvious as marking insincerity and reduces trust. And if I do have cause to address someone by name, I can decide for myself if this is a customer who should be addressed as “Courtney” or “Mrs. Williams”.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Endjinneer posted:

I think the bible's slow voyage to English via Hebrew, ancient Greek, and Latin has seen a load of symbolism shorn from the text. The name of st Peter for example, has no second meaning in English. Jump across into the romance languages and it also means rock, so "I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church" has a lot more going on.

Jesus: He loved mankind, but he really loved puns.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Edit: Nvm, thought we were talking about the other person

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Murgos posted:

I think the language of her policy was overly broad or oddly worded so that it read like it covered diseases caught while in a car.

So, when GEICO didn’t take the arbitration seriously the arbitrator said, “yep that seems like it should be covered by the plain reading of the text anyone disagree?” and since no one did then they got ruled against. GEICO appealed to the courts and the judge was like, “it’s your arbitration clause, tough.”

If GEICO had participated in good faith in the process it never would have happened.

I don't know about that last part necessarily. The situation as I understand it was that: The Claimant has sex with policyholder in his car. Policyholder gave claimant an STI. Claimant sues policyholder, claiming that he was or should have been aware that he was infected with a disease, and was negligent in failing to inform claimant of that fact, and was therefore also responsible for damages arising out of the infection he passed on to her. The parties agree to arbitration, and GEICO is informed of this fact. GEICO made the unilateral decision not to defend their policyholder at arbitration on the basis that the event was not covered under their policy, but declined to seek a declarative judgement establishing that fact. The arbitrator ultimately decided that the policyholder was negligent and liable for the claimant's damages. A subsequent court decision after the arbitration ruled that under the terms of the policy GEICO wrote, the event should actually be covered under the insurance, because the claimant suffered an injury as a result of policyholder's negligence while in the policyholder's vehicle, and under the plain reading of the policy the event is actually covered. So now GEICO, grasping at straws, complains that it's not fair they have to pay because if they are liable, they didn't get a chance to dispute the claim that their client was negligent, and the court has responded by saying that GEICO had notice of the arbitration, but erroneously assumed the incident was not covered and didn't provide a defence on that basis, so tough poo poo.

It doesn't sound like this is a case of GEICO's own arbitration clauses going against them, it's more a case of their hasty repudiation of cover being proven wrong and them now backpedalling.

If I have that right, I think GEICO might have just literally written a bad policy and they just didn't think of this when writing the policy. Participating in good faith might have just been a case of going "please take the money and never come back, we have to speak to our underwriting team about exclusions immediately".

At the insurer I work for, I think you could make a credible argument that this event should be covered based on our policy, it would just hinge on whether infecting the claimant with an STI counts as an "accident" or not. The argument seems like a work of mad genius to me!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

droll posted:

What* is this?

*Who

Asterix the Gaul. Though the masturbation advice comes from another member of the tribe, Pullyadix.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

droll posted:

Really?*

*:thejoke:

Too subtle for me apparently :doh:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

So DeSantis wants VAT?

He's a chode, but VAT is hardly unusual.

Trump wants America in the same category as Iran and Libya! I can also write bad attack copy!

Admittedly I know exactly nothing about "the DeSantis Tax Plan" but I would bet money that the 23% national sales tax was probably going to be matched by massive cuts to all progressive taxes, so not so much "DeSantis wants VAT" and something more like "DeSantis wants VAT to replace income tax, capital gains tax and corporation tax".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Having listened to that. I can scarcely think of a worse fate than to be remembered in the lines of that "cover". It's like the music version of this:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

donaldtrump.jpg

Wow, I had no idea the wet eggs thing was like, an actual thing. I just thought it was a absurdist but strangely apposite insult for Starmer.

...I don't think this knowledge has enriched me. Ew.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I like how even fictional AI people are disgusted by a republican canvasser.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mercury_Storm posted:

anything in revelations (or related books) about the antichrist literally selling bibles? lol

There was an article floating about a few years ago comparing Trump to the antichrist:
https://www.benjaminlcorey.com/could-american-evangelicals-spot-the-antichrist-heres-the-biblical-predictions/

Nothing about selling bibles but he's playing all the greatest hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Out of curiosity, if you've been pepper sprayed, would pouring milk all over your face and eyes work better than water for taking away the sting?