Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

haveblue posted:

He also confessed to having effectively nonexistent accounting practices and a bunch of clear financial crimes

He is getting all the books thrown at him

Was also revealed that FTX onboarding for new employees had a segment about the best/most effective ways to constantly rail stimulants, and that he was personally tweaking every waking hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

All of maga got really excited about their little orphan annie secret decoder rings and they just got reminded to "be sure and drink your ovaltine". They're mad.

Also does he seem like he's in this? He was everywhere after he announced in '15-'16, he's now just holed up in MAL grumbling about getting the election stolen, no rallies, no internet presence, no "every Senator and Rep has to respond to every shocking Trump thought 4 times a day".

He could still turn it around but he looks very low energy right now.

Maybe Dr. sex cake isn't prescribing him his amphetamines anymore?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Waiting for one of them to go "whaaasssssuuuppppp?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwwAaVmnf4

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

No loving way.

Oh yes. Oh yes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

This was 15 years ago :corsair:

cat botherer posted:

That was 25 years ago.

haveblue posted:

That was 400 years ago

Linear time is an illusion.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

dr_rat posted:

True, people always have asked where's the beef, people always will.

When it is asked is irrelevant. Everyone knows the answer is that no one knows the answer.
Yet people still ask. Why we still ask is the real question.

The menu options have not recently changed. The menu options will never change.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

He's gotta be up to something. I just know it.

This is the face of a person who has opinions about blockchain.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MadDogMike posted:

I dunno, can Metal Gears actually see through the cardboard box trick?

What? It's just a box.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

happyhippy posted:

Someones getting a free shrimp cocktail at Mar-a-lago!

Well, discounted. Within a limited time-window.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nah he just got a little off track.

Whew, I was worried it might turn things toxic!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PT6A posted:

How do people who espouse pro-life values square that with their often-rabid support of the death penalty?

On the rare instance they acknowledge it, they usually use phrases like "defending innocent life" as a way to differentiate why it's totally OK to execute anyone who crosses their arbitrarily defined line from innocence to guilt.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mauser posted:

his head keeps rocking back and forth when he talks and it's very annoying

I have nothing specific to indicate that he's on amphetamines, but he's on amphetamines.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PT6A posted:

"I just have an interest in history, is all!"

No you loving don't, you full of poo poo assholes. I have an interest in history, and I do have biographies and commentaries on many heinous figures including Hitler himself. I think that's reasonable and normal; I don't idolize them, naturally, but I think it's important to know and understand the details of their lives and actions. I think reading Mein Kampf, from a historical perspective, is no sin (I never have, because I don't imagine it's particularly illuminating beyond "Hitler: he was nuts!").

Side note: it's also a hard read because he was a really lovely author and in so far as anyone edited it, it was Hess and other toadies who didn't dare change anything.

quote:

Even though I obviously consider the study of horrible, horrible bastards to be acceptable, I have never once thought to myself: what would improve my understanding of this figure, and why he did the horrible things he did, is some memorabilia associated with his life and crimes. Perhaps some nice linens." I have never thought that, because it's a perfectly insane thing to think. There is no historical value to this trash, it illuminates nothing, and you can simply throw it in the bin. Like, if you have a Nazi napkin because you killed a Nazi and then you did the "wipe yo'self off, man, you dead!" thing like the cool Black guy from Rush Hour, fine. Any other reason, no.

It is also acceptable to collect things like that if you are Lemmy. Otherwise, yes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PT6A posted:

I think pretty much all the major booze companies are ostensibly pro-LGBTQ because, as it turns out, a lot of people in that community drink -- and probably more, preferring higher-margin premium brands (not to rely too much on stereotypes), compared to a bunch of shitkickers in Bumfuck, Iowa whose idea of a good time is a Kid Rock concert.

It's the better bet, because it makes the brand look better to non-shitheads, and the shitheads will be back drinking bud light in a couple weeks anyway.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Actuary X posted:

Tom Morrello is awesome. I saw him playing acoustic guitar at John Brown's grave. He is the real deal.

Word. I saw him opening for NIN a while ago with his Street Sweeper Social Club side project and it was awesome.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

But what was he masturbating with?

This isn't the libertarian thread.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gyges posted:

Farming being the noble calling of man has been an ongoing bon mot of the rich since at least the times of Rome. A feeling of particular strength among those who owned large holdings that were worked by slaves.

Not coincidentally, Thomas Jefferson was big into that trope. It's all over his private letters and Notes on the State of Virginia.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cat botherer posted:

:hai:

Failing students is more work for everyone, worst of all me. Maybe that's bad for the integrity of the educational institution, but
a) I don't care.
b) That ship has already sailed.

Generally if a student's put in any real effort, they're going to pass my classes though sometimes only just. I generally only fail students who either ghost the class and skip all the assignments/exams, or cheat in some way.

Milo and POTUS posted:

To be honest pissing the boss off is a lot of fun

If you're not stealing from your boss, you're stealing from your family.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

parthenocarpy posted:

Some of the intended audience of this meme are one tiktok challenge away from inhaling straight diesel exhaust to build testosterone and own the libs

This was no-joke actually a thing on youtube back when rolling coal became popular five-ten years ago.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

AvesPKS posted:

-Lee had grabbed his ceremonial sword instead of his real sword, so when he smashed it down on John's head it bent and only gave him a nasty gash instead of killing him as intended

Minor nitpick: that was Lt. Israel Green, who led the marines when they stormed the building Brown was holed up in. And he followed it up with an attempt to run him through but the light dress weapon bent double instead of penetrating deeply.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 29, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PT6A posted:

Anyone who doesn't have at least a bit of sympathy toward this message hasn't dealt with a certain generation of white South African. I do try to avoid generalizations, but holy gently caress that is a dire group. The worst example I've encountered told me he came to Canada "because the n*****s beat [him] and took his farm" and now bitches that the Canadian government is a bunch of Nazis who won't let him spread Reformed Christianity to children in his position as a school bus driver.

I'm not saying he deserved to be beaten, but I'm sympathetic toward those who beat him.

It kills me that I can't link the full video of Spitting Image's "I've Never Met a Nice South African*" but it's unavailable again at the moment, so here's a version of the music only.

*except for Breytan Breytanbach, and he's emigrated to Paris!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

A tailored suit really makes a gut stand out less, it's magic

It's also why he has that awkward stance at podiums and whatnot, leaning forward at the waist de-emphasizes just how out of shape he is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

KORNOLOGY posted:

I don't want to research it; but, was there a market for homeopathy branding of any sort in Europe circa 1800?

Most sources I've read place its origins in the very early nineteenth century, and the "theory" behind it ("like cures like") to quack physician Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann who first published on the subject in 1796. He got lucky when the Hanoverian monarchs of England found out and popularized his ideas, which inserted them more into what passed for mainstream medical thought in those days.

edit: got my dynasties confused, the Stuarts were long gone by the time Hahnemann was doing his thing.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 16, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

KORNOLOGY posted:

Okay, perfect response. But my degenerate butt wanted to know if there was a prototypical homeopathy-brand millionaire way back when that wasn't astroturfed by nobles.

I'd be surprised? While there were non-noble rich people in those days, wealth was very class-aligned and if you made/got a lot of money somehow a title would be among the first things you'd buy or otherwise seek to acquire.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

KORNOLOGY posted:

Oh it loving did.

It's less prominent among the snake oil set these days it seems to me, but it absolutely was one of the bigger scams back twenty years ago. Whatever else you may think of him, James Randi made mocking and going after homeopath scammers a big part of his thing, including once threatening to stand next to a lake and thus risk homeopathic overdose.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gyges posted:

Sex is sinful. That's all of it. Probably the Devil making it feel good. However a good Christian woman never enjoys it(mostly because the horrific ignorance and indoctrinated revulsion means it's supposed to be strictly missionary style and the fewer strokes it takes for him to finish the better).

Interestingly, the original Puritans believed that conception required the woman to orgasm, and so the most repressed, controlling sect of colonial-era America probably were among the more progressive in that one, narrow aspect of sexual experience.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cat botherer posted:

I mildly prefer stick, but you pretty much can't get them even if you want to in the US at this point.

I like driving manual and have resigned myself that my current car is almost certainly the last stick shift I'll get to drive, both due to what you mention and also as I intend to keep it running until electric cars are the dominant mode of personal transport (ignoring the comedy* "lol civilizational collapse due to climate change will happen first" option).

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They sure do enable his poo poo though.

This.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Man, these new cenobite designs just aren't up to the classics.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

EoinCannon posted:

There's footage of him judo-ing people but I think they were there to get their asses kicked. Like when he scored all those goals in hockey that time. I suppose he knows what he's doing but he's old as gently caress now and not looking great. I think Elon has a chance.

Regardless of age, Putin is someone who grew up with and has real life experience with violence, whereas Elon is a pampered rich softboy with messianic delusions. He'd get murdered in less time it takes RT to put out copy on it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah everyone wants to go back in time and kill Hitler, nobody wants to go back in time and persuade Friedrich III to quit smoking.

Or to at least ignore his wife's doctor and get the surgery.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Murgos posted:

Has either party ever not nominated the sitting president? I doubt it’s ever happened and it’s not happening now.

Andrew Johnson. Can't think of any other.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Murgos posted:

Lol that you think caste and segregation based on any or all arbitrary criteria are American inventions. Much less slavery and indigenous genocide which are recorded as far back as there are records.

Like, did you spend even thirty seconds considering how absurd arguing that these things are uniquely American is?

They aren't, but Hitler specifically cited American slavery and extermination of the indigenous population in his unpublished second book as one of his major inspirations for those things

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Why the gently caress would the GOP run on a platform restricting weed?

I mean, even at a bare minimum they're capitalists at their center and there's money to be made here

I don't think that last bit's true anymore. Sure, maybe ten years ago it was, but these days I think even capitalism is second to bigotry/hurting people.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

I had to look it up, but I guess party lines existed into the 80s. I thought they died out in like the 70s or something. I never knew anyone that had one. Even my grandparents in rural Illinois had a regular phone.

The last of them died out when I was quite young. My mother remembered having one when she was growing up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

he hasn't listened to a second of ben, this is just the conservative #opentowork

More specifically, it's signalling he's willing to play "token/former liberal who agree that the left is going too far with [cultural war issue]" for the right price.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Staluigi posted:

the historical record must categorically state that the dilberito failed because if you ate one it made you have to fart so much and so constantly that you would be cramped up with constant poo gas for the rest of the day

and that's not a Real Truth like taser balls guy, that's actually real and it must always be relevant to the story of scott adams techbronocratic hubris

"You'll fart your intestines into a tail" is how he described it, as I recall.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

That's schrecklich as hell

https://twitter.com/TheYcOrg/status/1757322958958117304

Why, that's much better

And not for the first or even second time, we're back to Valhalla DRO.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The horror...the horror...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

I really want this to be true, but can you do so bad on the asvab that they won't ever let you into the Marines

You can, and if there's one person alive who'd manage it, it's that schlubby loser murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

Having taken the ASVAB when I graduated high school I cannot even fathom how catastrophically stupid and worthless you'd have to be to not meet the standards of the USMC. Like holy poo poo. It's not a pass fail, it's a test to see what kind of jobs you would be good at lmao

It's been a little while since I last looked into this so I could now be wrong but last I checked, the test slots candidates into one of five categories: 1 and 2 covering technical, staff, intel and other more highly skilled/technically demanding jobs, 3 and 4 being standard infantry and the like, and the less common but not unheard of 5, which is "too dumb to tie own shoes without the risk of gouging out his own eye somehow" which washes you out.