Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm interested in the HBO series, but I'm going in with pretty low expectations, regarding it as a curiosity more than the definitive experience. That's okay though, because the movie's already fantastic-- I just hope the added material stands up as interesting material in its own right instead of feeling like Star Wars EU stuff that overexplains every little thing from the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

edit: no wonder why Tarantino likes this guy

That stood out to me too, both for the Tarantino joke (which I made at the time since I watched this with the same person I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood with), and because she feels no hint of self consciousness about putting her smelly feet near his face while she's making a face about his stench (which, to be fair to her, was probably extremely bad after the night he had).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The kink shaming itt is pretty disgusting.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't know if that was all because of this film specifically or also a belated recognition of South Korean cinema in general, but I'm really glad it happened either way.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

This movie didn’t blow me away on the initial viewing, but it stuck in my head and just steadily becomes more and more impactful.

I feel the same way. I think feeling tense while taking in the plot got in the way of appreciating the artistry in the second half a bit (it's pretty loving dour), but the longer I thought about it after that initial feeling wore off, the more positive my lasting impression was of the overall experience. I really want to rewatch it some time soon to see how I feel about the whole movie now that I know what's coming.

Ogmius815 posted:

I wish this movie would get a premium format release. I’d love to watch it in Dolby cinema or RPX or something. I saw Jojo rabbit in Dolby and it was real good.

I don't go to theaters too often because they make me anxious for some reason, but I'd definitely make an exception for this.

theblackw0lf posted:

I still see too many people viewing the Park family as the "bad guys". When according to Bong he intentionally made the Park family a family that has many appealing qualities, and the critique was more on the system that leads to the Park family, who by most accounts are just a good family, still oblivious to their privilege and how the disconnect between the rich and poor lead to unintentional harmful behavior. And also how that divide leads to a lack of empathy and understanding.

There's a quote that Bong said paraphrasing was "I wanted to make a film where there's no real villain, and have the audience ask themselves how did things play out the way they did when there were really no "bad" people involved?"

Yeah, the message definitely wasn't 'kill the rich, who are your enemies,' it was 'we need a better system in which the rich and poor (and poor vs poorer) aren't pitted against each other in a zero sum competition.'

Steve Yun posted:

Please post more people being angry about Parasite, it fills me with such warmth :)

Please don't. Let's enjoy the moment instead of wallowing in poo poo with the worst people in the world. That said, this is violence:

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1226931132068966400

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 11, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reading subs can ruin pacing, which is most obvious in comedic dialogue, and you'll probably miss noticing what's going on visually more than if you weren't reading during the movie, but I still use subtitles even for most movies in English when I can.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RichterIX posted:

This actually got me thinking-- do the Parks view Ki-woo and Ki-jung as beneath them? They think that Ki-woo is an active university student and that Ki-jung is a college-educated professional. In their eyes wouldn't they be in a different league from the driver and housekeeper? What's the hierarchy at work here?

Yeah I think there's a difference there, especially for Ki-jung since she's ostensibly offering a professional service. A tutor seems like an edge case, in that at least in the US it's not a particularly high prestige job, especially if you're hiring a student to do it, but with the status that seems associated with English and the forged credentials that have him attending an elite university, I'd say it's still a solid step above the others, who the Parks view as menial servants.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 12, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I thought it was going to be a slightly different near future dystopia instead of our actual dystopia.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GodFish posted:

I don't get the black and white release thing, why not just give it another theatrical run? The movie was designed for color, surely you're losing a lot to switch to black and white

Yeah it feels like a weird affectation to me. 'Back when movies were good they were all black and white, so good movies now should be too.'

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I buy Bong's explanation that black-and-white is a viscerally different experience. It makes you focus on a different sort of thing. I don't think anyone claims that this is the authoritative way to watch the film, but it's a conversion made with care. It's worth a dabble.

(And if nothing else, they deserve to milk a few more dollars out of this)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bong-joon-ho-black-white-parasite-cut-1274862

The same article also has him basically saying the 'like when movies were good' thing too though:

"I think it may be vanity on my part, but when I think of the classics, they're all in black and white," he said at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, where he dropped in during a chaotic awards season schedule to give a master class and present the world premiere of the new Parasite edit. "So I had this idea that if I turned my films into black and white then they'd become classics."

If people want to watch it that way, by all means go for it. I'd be way more interested in a regular rerelease though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I feel dumb?

Nah, the message was there, but it's not screaming the message at you like the worse version of it some on the left wish it had been would have. When I watched it I got the gist of it, but seeing things other people picked up definitely helped me appreciate what was going on even more, which is part of why I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

YaketySass posted:

Or "nice". The Parks have the power to twist the life of their employees in all sort of subtle and hosed up ways but by superficial standards of what an upper class person should act like they're not even bad people, not openly forceful, etc. The implicit power differential does most of the work in getting compliance before it is even asked.

And whenever things stop going smoothly (such as the panties incident), Mr. Park is the one who gets to play the role of the severe patriarch taking the necessary measures to protect his innocent family, ensuring that Mrs Park is one further step removed from the truth of her relationship with her employees.

Yeah they're nice in the sense that they're genteel and have good manners, just like good little aristocrats, but it doesn't mean they're actually good people. That said, they're not particularly awful people either, they're just removed from people lower on the ladder by their class.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

fenix down posted:

It's left wing in the same way Ricky Gervais is right-wing for "tellin' it like it is" to the "Hollywood elites"! Sometimes people see what they wanna see instead of engaging with the content, like the whole uproar over the Joker trailer.

That being said - if they actually make a Parasite series I hope they continue keeping the characters center stage and the messages more subtle. I wasn't a fan of Okja because the "point" was so bluntly overt.

No it's definitely left wing--Bong's been pretty clear about it being a critique of capitalism. It's just not left wing in the cartoon/shitpost 'let's kill all the rich people because they're monsters' sense, but rather 'the capitalist system we live in stratifies us in ways that dehumanize us all.'

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MorrisBae posted:

I'm not asking out of ignorance, but because I genuinely don't watch subtitled films a lot - but instead of remaking this for American audiences, wouldn't dubbing it into English be easier? Or is dubbing frowned upon these days?

Just watch with subs.

https://twitter.com/thewrap/status/1213998533889556480?lang=en

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't get why people keep saying the poor family scammed the rich family. They are performing the jobs they were hired for! Completely!

People who lie about their credentials are generally regarded as scammers even if they do a competent job. Besides, there clearly wasn't a lot of tutoring or art lessons going on, even if the mom barely gave a poo poo what was going on beyond having sitters for her kids anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Kijung doesn’t do any art therapy. But, she keeps the son out of the mom’s hair, so she’s a glorified babysitter. One funny detail was that Jessica makes it clear that her services are not tutoring and that she is doing therapy, and therefore she need to get paid a lot of money. The mom nods, but it goes in one ear and out the other and 10 seconds later when the dad comes home she introduces Jessica is the art teacher instead of the therapist.

I think that's as much about Mrs. Park not wanting her husband to know there are any problems in the home as anything.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

The Kims are bad tho for sure, but they’re also stuck trying to claw their way up in an utterly broken system, the daughter lying about art is like the least of their crimes by far

Depends on what you mean by lying about art. Pretending to have knowledge about it that she can use to help encourage the kid's talent is one thing, but convincing a mother her kid's mentally ill and needs help in order to squeeze more money from her is pretty hosed up. I think that would have come off as more monstrous if it hadn't been in the lighthearted caper half of the movie.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They had enough money to stabilize their situation after getting the tutoring jobs, and I don't think anyone faults them for what they did there since it's more or less a victimless crime (though exploiting fears about mental illness to get more money starts the moral decline). Getting the driver fired and, obviously, causing a potentially life threatening allergic reaction (and hiding her medicine, right?) to get rid of the housekeeper was well beyond just doing what they had to do to survive. Then actually murdering the housekeeper to keep the con going is another step beyond that. The victims of the Kims aren't the Parks, so it's weird to decide the Kims are fundamentally decent people.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was it to murder them with though?

100% yes, I don't think this was meant to be ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

I worked as a private driver/chauffeur for a year way back when. I was extremely triggered every time Me. Kim turned his head to look back at his passenger. Doubly so when he turned his entire body.

Yeah I was genuinely relieved when Mr. Park told him to keep his eyes on the road.