Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

My first X-Men comic was this multimedia CD with Giant X-Men #1 and Incredible Hulk #181 on it that had buttons you could click to make the sound effects go off. It was rad as hell if you were 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Gologle posted:

Claremont looks so sad. Why sad Clare?

The X-men have reached peak horny. Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if I'm in what's basically a huge gambling competition with very poorly defined rules I'd absolutely want Domino on my team.

I've been sitting here for awhile wondering what happens if you pit Domino and Isca against each other and it's pretty much the only thing I want to see Isca again for.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This is annoyingly a little more ambiguous whether people can see him here than I remembered, but he is toasting Cypher's marriage in the middle of the party:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I love all of these so much but I feel for the artists who are going to have to draw 2-5+ of these outfits per panel.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

TwoPair posted:

Planet-Sized: Sure Magneto, I think taking an island of omega-level mutants who are all obsessed with war, giving them a planet and then declaring them regents of the solar system is a great idea. I'm excited to read SWORD and have a full two page spread of Brand just yelling gently caress over this development.

I thought this too at first, but considering earth just got invaded by aliens twice in what seems to be a month's span, maybe having an army of warhardened mutants as the gatekeepers to the solar system isn't a terrible idea.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It'll most likely be Magneto killing Wanda but y'know, not really Magneto or not really killing Wanda. Going fully into red string speculation land the last few panels of SWORD are conspicuously showing Magneto's helmet on the table and not on his head, the helmet thats really really well established as being Magneto's defense against psychics.

e: spoilering stuff just to be safe

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think the thesis statement of Way of X is the "derangement of the infinite" page from #2. Krakoa has defeated scarcity and death so gently caress it, why not let a priest muzzle stuff you or dump a baby in the woods? No one in charge seems to care and there's no morality to answer to if you're going to be reborn a thousand times. We're not supposed to think the baby dump or dying for kicks is good, they're indications that Krakoa will eventually slide into Slaaneshi style chaos without some grander purpose to set people forward. But we also see Kurt is currently fully unprepared to deal with these issues yet let alone solve them. I do hope he makes the turn towards that soon because there's only so many issues of Kurt gawking at hedonism that I can take.

Also Onslaught pushing buttons does muddle things up because we need a big bad guy to mind punch I guess. Trying to sort that out and the ethics of Krakoa in the same book feels cramped to say the least, but I'm more intrigued as to where this is going than say X-Corp or X-Force right now.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rochallor posted:

Re: the new council member, But honestly, I'm not sure who you could go to for something like this. Like, Sinister is a terrible, terrible choice, but he's also one of the only people who could learn about Moira and go "well, game recognize game."

Wolverine? He has a very close relationship with Moira in at least two of her timelines we've seen so she'd have reason to trust him and he might trust her back once he sees those memories. He'd probably be as mad at Xavier and Magneto as Emma but might be more negotiable. Probably a better dice roll than Colossus.

If this is how Krakoa's government is supposed to fall at least it's leaving some room for it to exist as some sort of entity post Team Moira. The Five having free reign over resurrections seems unambiguously good.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Excalibur has hit a bit of a stride now compared to where it was, but it does still feel like a page is missing every issue that explains why people are doing the things they do.

X-Corp felt like it was missing 5 of those pages.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This is like the third or fourth time the X-Men have discovered Charles and Erik are good inspirational figures but awful leaders but to be fair it might be first time the larger mutant community has had to figure that out. In hindsight it makes more sense why Scott and Jean hosed off to New York the first chance they got.

Sloth Life posted:

Charles and Magneto have made their share of mistakes, but thinking they could outwit/manipulate Mystique is a new one.

Is Moira X playing with their minds somehow?

I forget which issue it is but there Moira's personal logs kind of imply she didn't show them her entire memories and is hiding her motives in some way. Presumably the part where Destiny burns her alive for trying to cure mutants got left out.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder if he can actually do a timeline reset at this point? The implications for the wider Marvel universe are significant so maybe he'll try to something more circumscribed.

The implication seemed to be by killing a Moira clone, Sinister only resets time up to the point the clone was 'born'. I think it's also implied he's already done it several times but I'm less certain of that.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Forge's depowering gun is a permanent solution, but there are temporary depowering gizmos floating about all over the place that still could work if you killed the clone right afterward.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

LoX put out a bunch of interesting plot hooks but doesn't really focus enough on one yet. I'm at the very least interested seeing more of what sounds like Loki loving around and finding out.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It impresses the rest of the great ring more than saying "our almost-omega-but-tony-stark-and-reed-richards-are-technically-just-as-good technopath" I suppose.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think villain beast is good because he's fun to hate and i have no particular fondness for earlier incarnations of the character. but this here is some real bullshit. if he's going to keep getting away with poo poo, there has to be an actual reason for why that is. every other current member of x-force has been in an experimental torture prison at some point! what the heck is up with this lackluster reaction?

They literally led him away in handcuffs last issue! The rest of the team is treating it like he just ate Domino's lunch out of the break room fridge not that he ran a secret torture prison. He gets to make little snarky notes about his torture prison in the doc pages?!

I have to assume the shoe drops in the Sinister arc coming up and we're just spinning wheels until then.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I went with Prodigy because I really liked him last time Gillen wrote him but I don't expect him to win.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Saoshyant posted:

Ghost Rider: hey, I need a steed

Juggernaut: ok, fine

Yet, as mentioned above, this scene couldn't save the comic.

There's too much poo poo going on, those two initial pages with Xavier nearly got me to give up and not read the rest of the issue (the two different moments put together were really loving dire even by the worst interpretation of "Xavier is a Jerk"), then bummer everything else that happened in the middle of that mess (Xabi, Warlock, Kurt, Nemesis, Nimrod), and then Mother Righteous is confirmed as the final Sinister clone to cap it all out.

I genuinely thought there was going to be a twist that this was already Sinister Xavier and he hosed up removing Legion from the board a bit too early.

I like enough of the rest of it that I think I'm still positive on Legion of X over all but the Xavier stuff was too heavy handed compared to how he's been in everyone else's books.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I don't know if we need to speculate when her tentative ally is a clone from the 1800s in a big life support orb. Just give Destiny her own orb.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cant belive theyre doing a Trixie Slaughteraxe

Thorsby would have so much fun coming up with new Sinister chimeras

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Yeah I like that design but pirate coat poofy hair Kate was incredibly good and it's gonna be hard to compete with.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Draxion posted:

I guess I could sort of buy that Wolverine and Talon could be acting out now that one of them is The Fake One but the fake one is living the life the real one should have had. But even with that Laura's supposed to have grown up too much to be attacking random people.

On the other hand Quentin genuinely prancing out of a portal looking like Master Roshi after having gone missing for ages is very funny to me.

I could see that but my first thought when they introduced Talon was that no one is more prepared to meet a duplicate of themselves than Laura Kinney. That whole extended family is shenanigans.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 20, 2023

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rereading HoXPoX, it defines the usual way of getting to a Dominion as combining billions upon billions of AI into a singularity of information called a Titan and then unifying 10 or more of those singularities into one collective Dominion. The Essexes are trying to circumvent that and do it in a way that doesn't involve submitting themselves to the machines. Interestingly it also says Dominions control specific sectors of spacetime and that the one that includes Earth already exists and has 112 Titans, which is presumably our betrayer Dominion and the one Sinister tried and failed to supplant, although he started that process physically on Orbis' station so who knows how that works.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I mean, I don't think any of the Essexes succeed but I also don't have a good theory as to who does.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

danbanana posted:

Sure but it still brings up the question of why Hope would be involved in anyone's resurrection- particularly a council member. If there's an option other than Hope, just use that option!

The whole hitch with the Sinister timeline was that Hope was accidentally filtering out the Sinister gene that Sinister had put there since the beginning. She needed to be temporarily killed to allow it to pop up in the dead council members. If Forge isn't sure he got it out of them he probably also can't be sure he got it out of the database, so anyone else doing Hope's job still ends up in the same predicament, though they aren't putting the same emphasis on that.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It was funny watching every X-Office writer find a new way to reinsert death with stakes.

Mostly what I want out of more Krakoa is more characters who never get a chance to interact normally bouncing off of each other, especially in non-combat situations. The schools have a bit of this but Krakoa is a big catch all excuse for people to run into each other who normally would never.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

XoS was fun but it was the first big X-Men centered event post HOXPOX and I guess I expected the first big X-Men event to be more like AXE than XoS. In hindsight it had to be XoS to introduce Arakko, but at the time it seemed like a silly distraction from Orchis and all the other conflicts Krakoa had going.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Krakoa and everything that entails is an awfully big toy to put back in the toybox so I can't imagine it'll be entirely like it never existed. Selfishly I'd at least like Arakko to stick because everything built up there was really cool and having a planet in the solar system to do cosmic marvel stuff on and not get interrupted by every superhero seems like a decent tool for stories in the future.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The worldmind itself isn't outside of space and time, for the machines' purposes it's just a big lure for the dominion so they can bargain with it and upload themselves.

Presumably the Xandarian worldmind could also be used for that. You could say it's either just not set up in a way dominions care about or that dominions don't want to mess with the Nova Force, even if it's not directly listed as something they fear.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I was vibing with the trailer pretty good until I hit the Wolverine voice. It'll probably be fine once I get used to it but having heard COVERED WITH SCORPIONS one hundred times, I was always going to be thrown by that. Weirdly jarring considering it's the same actor but it has been 20+ years so fair enough.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Engima is also a special Dominion because it's just Essex's brain patterns shoved into a supergod. The usual Sinister hubris probably hurts him more than most Dominions, which we're told usually don't give a poo poo about things on the mortal level unless you wave a matrioshka brain around like a squeaky toy.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Everyone else gets a turn to be Daredevil these days, I say give Scott a go. It would probably feel like a vacation in comparison to the usual X-drama.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

site posted:

I don't think anything about what the previews said for the line sounds all that interesting, but I also don't think there's any version of the next thing after krakoa that anyone would be able to come up with that most readers wouldn't viscerally hate for at least 6 months short of handing the whole thing over to Al Ewing

This is probably true, and even further I'd say if they tried to do something bombastic and genre defining after Krakoa it would be an unmitigated disaster rather than just disappointing. A cool down period isn't the worst thing so long as the stories are fun.

That said, there must have been a better way to ease people back in. Pretty much every community I've seen talking about the Krakoa run, positively or negatively, included some version of "...and I really hope they don't go back to running the school after this." Two out of three ain't bad but they really should have dodged anything resembling a school for at least the first arc. This one is in Chicago so I guess that's different?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If Krakoa was just, like, a resort island that catered to mutants and only mutants, that's a safe space.

I would argue this is exactly how half the X-writers treated Krakoa. Not to say they disengaged with the ethnostate reading entirely but after a certain point lines like X-Factor and New Mutants only engaged with the ruling body of Krakoa with letters on the data pages that summed up to "kindly gently caress off and let me enjoy my queer found family please."

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Veg posted:

Nothing wrong with that. Not every title has to be foot flat on the ethics/politics accelerator.

Oh to be clear in no way did I mean that as a bad thing, both of those books were great. The best were the ones that could mix both cleanly like SWORD/Red and Hellions, but I'd take more books like New Mutants any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Agree to disagree. I think when you decide that an island ethnostate is the only way for your marginalized group to survive or thrive, then you are saying that yeah, coexistance is impossible.

Yeah I also agree brexit was a mistake