Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kingtheninja posted:

Sidenote: when did Betsy get her old body back and how? I assume current "psylocke" is kwannon in her original body and Betsy being the new Britain is a way to keep both around.

In the last issue of the Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor miniseries, Betsy got ganked by noted psychic vampire and Wolverine villain Sapphire Styx. Instead of dying, she ended up as a sort of psychic ghost inside Styx's mindscape, where she gathered her strength and used Styx's powers to rebuild a new body for herself. That turned out to be her original-mode body, although she retains the telekinesis that she inexplicably ended up with thanks to Claremont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You do have to appreciate their commitment to bringing back everyone, if they bothered to resurrect the insane reality warper who's never done a good thing in his life.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Is Meggan Braddock a mutant? I thought she was but she seemed like she wasn't going to Krakoa?

I don't think they've ever explicitly said whether she is or not, but she had her powers from birth.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

(When did Karma lose a leg?)

During the Second Coming crossover, in a fight with Cameron Hodge.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I can't help but keep thinking that yes, okay, mutant resurrection is totally a thing, but that don't mean that kid who saw her mom get shot in the face in front of her isn't gonna be in mad therapy for the rest of her life.

Unless you have Xavier delete the memory, but that's its own can of worms.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Little Mac posted:

And then... that's it! He's basically been in two major storylines. His clone was a traitor and assassin and the real Mondo is... also just an assassin! He showed up during Cyclops's speech in DC and during Secret Empire in group shots, but that was it. The Mondo in New Mutants seems like the Mondo from early-Generation X. So, like... did he die and Xavier just rebooted him from Clone-Mondo's memories? The real Mondo is garbage boy.

Black Tom is also on Krakoa and is acting surprisingly chill for somebody with a nearly-40-year history of being a total bastard. I think we need to start really considering the idea that Xavier is loving with people pretty hard.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Honest question: why can't Magik just teleport all of them to Sam?

I don't think she can do interstellar distances. That was Lila Cheney's bag.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Is it just me, or does Fallen Angels feel like one of David Mack's Kabuki comics?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

My first was the one right after the original Secret Wars where Storm loses her powers to that gun Forge made.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wells has a few good comics under his belt, which is the only reason I'm paying attention to this at all.

I'm a little weirded out by how Psylocke's the "Wolverine" of the 2019 HoXverse.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Makes sense though since Cyclops, Jean, and Iceman all got a lot more powerful as they got older. And Warren got the Archangel upgrade. Beast got blue, I guess.

It's one of those things that's been forgotten as Hank's become the designated genius/punching bag of the X-Men and occasionally Avengers, but Hank got a significant boost during the old Louise Simonson X-Factor. He went through that whole plot where he was getting dumber and stronger, and when it got resolved, he was blue and furry again as well as being stronger than he used to be.

The problem is that during the '90s and onward, he spent a lot more time in the lab and as mission control than he did in the field, because he's a lot more useful to writers as a smart guy. He's not in Rogue or Colossus's weight class, but he's got enough gas in the tank that he'd be genuinely dangerous. He's just never in fights anymore.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

What I got a kick out of was in X-Men, that Petra and Sway got brought back by the resurrection protocols.

Those were two of the members of Gabriel's abortive X-Men team from Deadly Genesis. I think this is the third issue of anything that either of them have ever been in.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 11, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I got a kick out of that live episode of "Jay & Miles" Claremont was on, where he really hated teenage Jean Grey's new outfit to the point where he kept bringing it up unprompted.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Parallax posted:

what have most of the OG Hellions been up to since New Mutants anyway? it didn’t seem like they all liked each other all that much and it’s weird they’re still wearing those old rear end pink school uniforms

I think the only one who didn't get killed by Fitzroy immediately after Claremont's departure might have been Empath?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t know where to post this, but I just have to say it: I’ve been reading old X-Men and New Mutants comics, and Chris Claremont is extremely horny. I don’t know if there was an editorial policy at the time that horny was mandatory, but wow is it noticeable now.

If anything, he was forced to sneak a lot of it past his editors. As has recently been discussed, his original plan was that Mystique would've shapeshifted into a man in order to father Nightcrawler with Destiny. Dude was 20 years ahead of the American horniness curve.

I am occasionally grateful that Claremont grew up reading Heinlein, though, where enthusiastic consent was typically the order of the day, rather than anything more questionable than that.

(There's a funny story in Peter Sanderson's X-Men Companion interviews, where Claremont apparently has most of a spec script in a drawer somewhere about a crossover between John Norman's Gor novels and Iron Fist. A bunch of Gorean slave traders would have landed in New York and kidnapped Misty Knight and Colleen Wing. By the time Danny and Luke borrow a spaceship to go after them and bring them back, Misty and Colleen have overthrown civilization on Gor.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Nah, the artists started having more say over storylines and stuff and Claremont was basically forced off/quit in frustration.

It wasn't just "more say." The late '80s and early '90s at Marvel were a period of superstar artists getting written a lot of blank checks, and as a result, Claremont in particular found his role in the book diminished to the point where he was just scripting over whatever the hell Jim Lee felt like drawing that day. I'd quit too, in that environment.

You can really see it in a couple of the last arcs if you know about it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Malibu as a company doesn't really exist but Marvel appears to own all of their properties, such as they are.

Wasn't there an issue somewhere along the line regarding the Malibu characters? I want to say I heard they were in a legal limbo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

danbanana posted:

Maybe they're not publishing stories with those characters because they were loving terrible.

A few were okay. Topaz and Foxfire were kinda cool, and Firearm was a decent read.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

What was that Ultraverse dude who was a knockoff of Captain Marvel except he had to like rip himself out of the body? Prime! I had to look that up. Anyway, bring back Prime.

I think Gerard Jones getting arrested put an end to Prime for the foreseeable future.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Remember a few years ago, when Mike Deodato Jr. did a promo image for a new wave of Marvel books that included Kate Bishop wearing a new outfit, and it turned out he'd seen a design from a fan on Google Image Search and thought it was a real thing?

I wonder if some toy-store company did the same thing by mistake, where that's a Cyclops redesign someone put up on their Deviantart that they mistook for something from an actual book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That reminds me. I always kinda liked Sharon Friedlander (and Tom Corsi) as a supporting character, so it was disappointing to find out she got killed off shortly after Claremont's departure from the X-books.

It'd probably be a weird look to bring either of them back right now, since they got literally "race lifted" during the Demon Bear storyline, but Sharon is up there with Rumiko Fujikawa on my list of supporting characters who deserved better than they got.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That one might have been Ann Nocenti.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Nah, it's a Claremont one although the plot does sound like something out of Nocenti's wheelhouse. At the very least Claremont is the only credited writer for the issue and the narration is very Claremont-y.

Fair enough, then. I remember a couple of the weirder backups turned out to be Nocenti rather than Claremont, like the one where a new hire at the Hellfire Club gets a weird pep talk from Emma Frost about the underwear uniform.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

EDIT: He murdered his dad too, still not sure how he came back to life? But the whole spitting on their dad and murdering him in front of Havok is also possibly a sore spot.

IIRC, Hepzibah shot him up with the techno-organic virus to bring him back. It was a plot point in Greg Rucka's Cyclops mini that Corsair still wasn't in the best of health and was using unspecified pills to keep the infection in check.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I just looked it up and there was 6 whole years between her getting depowered and being turned into a child and started to get her powers back, and she was the leader of The X-Men for pretty much that entire time.

That's not entirely right, but I can understand the confusion, because she did that whole stint as a kid where her powers were initially gone, then unreliable.

She got depowered in something like Uncanny #181, right after the first Secret Wars, and they stayed permanently gone until Forge restored them during the "Fall of the Mutants" storyline. She was at full power through the effective end of the Australia arc, when she got punted through the SIege Perilous.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

However, it's also been like thirty years since he's written a comic that wasn't either mediocre or brain-searingly awful so I'm not sure I care about what 2020 Claremont thinks about modern comics at all.

I wouldn't go that far. His X-Men: Black Magneto story was pretty good, his Nightcrawler with Todd Nauck was a perfectly great adventure story, there are parts of his DC book Sovereign Seven that are fun, I kind of like his Contest of Champions II even with the obvious pet characters...

Claremont is well overdue to take another shot at original work, but at the same time, dude's staring 70 dead in the eye. I can't fault him too much for scooping up that easy con money for a while.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That's got to be from PAD's X-Factor.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Not a terrible idea, that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dreqqus posted:

It really is, and i don't think anything awful has come out about Adam Warren. Think/hope

It's hard for a guy to get up to anything when he has, by all appearances, spent the last 30 years drawing alone in the woods.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Word out of film-critic Twitter is that Dani and Rahne explicitly become a couple in The New Mutants movie.

Am I the last person to hear about this?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can someone give me a primer on this stupid immortal Krakoa business? I sort of want to read Marauders after having read the first two books at one point, but I'm missing a bit of context and don't really want to bother with the other X-books.

Moira MacTaggert has turned out to be a mutant herself with a very specific power set that involves reincarnation. She's gone through nine lives so far, has been told her 10th will be her last, and in every one so far, the mutant race has been killed out of existence at some point.

As a hail Mary in her last incarnation, she approaches Xavier. Now, the mutant race has assembled, regardless of ethical axis, on the living island of Krakoa. Here, they've used Krakoa's ecosystem to grow new drugs that give them a major export, established themselves as a new nation, and planted teleport gates all over the place that link the rest of the world and the moon with Krakoa.

Most importantly, through unifying five specific mutants' powers, they've figured out a way to overcome death. Any mutant who gets killed can be resurrected via the Five, although they're reverted to their most recent mental backup from Xavier, and there have been occasional hints that it's more like a perfect duplicate than actual resurrection.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, guaranteed resurrection is always such a weird plot point. And this will not hold. Sucks to be for the person who happens to be the first one where it doesn't work anymore.
"Oh yeah you totally get your powers back if you let Apocalypse kill you." *dies permanently*
But then again, a permanent death in the marvel universe is like a 2 month break.

I don't think it's ever going to just fail on someone, but there's definitely going to be someone who wasn't actually dead but got "resurrected" anyway. That already kinda happened in the Empyre tie-in.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why the heck would anyone want fabian cortez on their team? even if he didn't suck in general he's in the running for least trustworthy mutant of all time.

I suppose if you think you can keep him in line somehow, he'd be a useful addition to a mutant team, since he's a living force multiplier. The primary downside, that his ability might empower the target to the point where it kills them, isn't much of an issue anymore.

I did just look him up to make sure I accurately remembered what his powers are, though, and I have to ask: which one of you has been loving with Fabian Cortez's Wikipedia entry?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

danbanana posted:

One of the amazing things is how willing Marvel was to let people cut their teeth on their biggest properties in this era. Maybe it's because X-Men would sell no matter who was writing or doing art but it feels so weird, especially after decades of good-to-great art on those books.

I think there was a lot of that for sure, but IIRC, the editorial team had burned a lot of bridges with creators in the early '90s and Marvel was in a mad scramble for talent for a while. It let a lot of newcomers pick up formative projects, but that was very much a double-edged sword. You can go back and look at several books of the period, like Secret Defenders or the latter half of What If?, and it's very much the Marvel amateur league.

Then again, comics were still cheap and visible enough back then that some crazy books managed respectable runs. I was reminded the other night of the '90s Guardians of the Galaxy run, about the 30th-century version of the team with Vance Astro leading it, which somehow made it to issue #52.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I've been reading too much Hickman and now I keep wanting to do the snarky em-dash italicized asides--which annoy me, because they look weird and don't flow naturally, but they do at least jump out at you--in my own writing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jean's Morrison/Quitely outfit is still the best one she's ever had.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Claremont had this idea going back to the early '80s that Sara Grey's kids would be a projecting and a receiving empath, but it never ended up happening for whatever reason.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

danbanana posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1390739650348818440

Looks like some poo poo's going down post-Gala.

"Double jeopardy, bitch." And Magneto c-walks out of the courtroom.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Why the hell do they need the rest of the five when one of them’s a reality changer

There are different tiers of reality changers.

Proteus isn't Jim Jaspers or God-mode Franklin Richards. He can make specific and dramatic shifts in his local environment, but they tend to snap back once he stops paying attention. It makes a certain amount of sense that he's part of the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I could absolutely see Emma Roberts as a Flapper. Do we have much info on Steve's mom that isn't from when the reality cube altered his origin to make him a Nazi?

I want to say she got a fair bit of panel time back when John Byrne was drawing the book for a while. I have a distinct memory of seeing a picture of Sarah with Byrne!face.