Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Egg is literally the first thing I would come up with if someone asked me for a worse name than Goldballs.

What, is he funny or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah uh Hellions is the book I never knew I needed. A real breath of fresh air after the dourness of Wolverine/X-Force

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yo Claremont is doing an AMA on reddit right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/jx6pjr/im_chris_claremont_and_i_wrote_the_xmen_for_over/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maduo posted:

This is annoyingly a little more ambiguous whether people can see him here than I remembered, but he is toasting Cypher's marriage in the middle of the party:

god i love the art in new mutants

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really want to re-read the Carey era but drat there were a lot of multi-part crossovers that hopped between titles during that time

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Im on an 80s Claremont first time read-through also and holy hell those first few issues of x-factor and the annual were just an exercise in tediousness. The writer before Simonson takes over makes Claremont’s narration and dialogue seem succinct in comparison.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wish someone told me I could have just skipped the entirety of X Lives. I guess it has pretty art?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mameluke posted:

So I think the way it works is;

Moira's powers rewind time to the moment of her X-Gene's activation but preserve her memories, which is normally birth for her, but if Sinister makes a mature Moira clone he can trigger her X-Gene. So he has a whole pool of dormant Moira clones, and checks their memories and activates one every day. This is a little different from the idea that Moira was awake in the womb in her latter lives, but whatever. If Sinister feels something hasn't gone his way, he uploads his memories of the day into his active clone and kills her. This shunts her/his memories of the active day into the past bodies of all the dormant Moiras, for the Sinister of yesterday to draw from in his daily check.

lol sinister literally invented mutant save state restores

immortal x just made me excited for the line again, considering how much i disliked x lives/deaths. i've really tried to give percy a chance but i think the healthier choice is just to drop his books

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 2, 2022

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mameluke posted:

What's going on Ben Percy I liked X-Force for a while

Why do you keep skinning mutants and doing stupid poo poo with Wolverine that feels like you only watched the movies

surf's up wolverine!

dies from drowning

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Apocalypse as a 'team member' was the best thing Excalibur had going for it but generally I still enjoy the book, and Tini Howard's writing in general

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

What in the sweet gently caress was this Marauders issue? Think I’m done with this mess.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

glitchwraith posted:

You made it one issue longer than I did. This issue took a time detour on the way to "ancient mutant civilization that mysteriously died off soon after we arrive in the past with Cassandra Nova" to have a seemingly meaningless crossover with that old "Nemesis vs. The Acolytes" story, right? I take it it was as bad as I assumed it would be.

There's an entire text page that narrates a chunk of plot instead of uh, showing it, and brings in some character from X-Men 2099 that I'm not familiar with and at this point I've just lost all interest with this incomprehensible story

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

re Percy's wolverine, the only thing that kinda would make sense to me is that this is sublime-infected Beast, there was uh a sublime namedrop in marauders recently i think? why am i still reading this trash book

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hey X-thread, so I'm nearing the end of the Claremont years and I guess this is where it starts to get 90s complicated? Is there some kind of similar guide I can follow leading up to AoA like this one I was using?

also I wish the outback-era x-men lasted longer :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rick posted:

I'd say you can pretty safely just read Uncanny and Adjectiveless X-Men up to AOA, with a few exceptions. You might want to check into the first few issues of X-force just to get its temperature so you get why it's different than New Mutants. And there are some crossover events that just don't make sense unless you read every issue which kind of sucks (I'm thinking X-Cutioner's Song is the big problem here). On the other hand you can pretty much just read the mainline Fatal Attraction comics and get the gist. If you want context for current comics you want to make sure you read all of Phalanx Covenant since that is still relevant. Also be sure to check out Cyclops and Jean Grey, I can't remember if it falls before or after AoA anymore.

There's still a couple good years of Excalibur but it's not essential for the mainline story and everyone ignores its continuity.

Yeah I think I'm mostly interested in the main x-books as well as Excalibur, Peter David's X-Factor, and Nicieza's X-Force because of how much I love the remaining New Mutants (jesus christ they really churned through the cast, with Doug dying in that weird Birdboy arc, Magik reverted to a kid, Lock dead after X-Tinction Agenda, Rahne staying behind in Genosha, Dani doing Asgard things, I can't even remember what happened to Karma)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 16, 2022

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Post-Claremont started! We're really kicking off the 90s edginess by killing off most of the Hellions without much thought huh? That's something alright..

Also, X-Factor just comes out of the gate written like nothing else in the X-line at the time It really feels like the odd man out, in a good way. I can see why Peter David went for the PI angle later with X-Factor investigations, feels like that woulda been the natural direction in time anyway. Polaris, Madrox and Guido could have been cardboard cut-outs as characters before being injected with personalities for this series. And goddamn Pietro is just such a delightful little poo poo already. The Thing just casually telling people that Lockjaw was a deformed inhuman because he was pranked into believing it had me dying

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 22, 2022

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shows how little I know of the Inhumans before the 2000s I guess, thanks for the re-contextualization!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I miss Vita Ayala on New Mutants, this new creative team is not working for me.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

How Wonderful! posted:

Me

We're midway through a brief fill-in arc by Charlie Jane Anders about the new trans characters introduced in last year's Pride special. It's charming and has a nice zippy pace.

I didn't realize this was a fill in, any info on what happens after this arc?

Also, quote is not edit... whoops

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Return of Himbo Havok feels like it was added just for me

Joe Fisto posted:

I love Rod Ries’ art. His Magik is fantastic.

gently caress yeah. I love the overall sketchiness of his line work and does he do his own coloring as well? Magik's facial expressions are sooooooo good

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 15, 2022

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Beerdeer posted:

I don't like the Lethal Legion team and I just want an ongoing book with my classic New Mutants.

I miss Vita Ayala writing NM.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I think I remember her being able to access a portion of the phoenix force from the multiverse in Tini Howard's Excalibur series, as a loophole around Echo being the Phoenix host.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

site posted:

he had just entered a thruple with star lord and gamora and then ewing's guardians got cancelled

I'm reading Duggan's GotG run and it looks like the nova corps has been re-established at this point. I'm a little hazy on his cancerverse return, did that happen in the Sam Alexander series?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nessus posted:

Saturnyne has done deep cover disguises before. With a properly powered telepathy device she could absolutely replace Emma. Who's gonna notice, Tony Stark?

yeah og excalibur had me feeling a little confused on the whole courtney ross thing

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

army of "five-foot versions of the Hulk called Hulk Babies who are just as powerful and dangerous, but the spawn of the Hulk after he's hosed a hundred thousand alien chicks"

i think my brain broke reading this

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Daken and Romulus both originated from Daniel Way's Wolverine run, right?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's extremely funny to me that after months if not years of hype and buildup for the great Fall of X, the evil plan turned out to be "let's go see the mutants and beat them up". Truly a satisfying culmination of complex plot threads

I'm ready for Fall of X to be over but not Krakoa to be over :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

What a wet fart of a finale X-Force landed with

Won't be missing you on the other side of the Krakoan gateway, Percy

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Jamie Madrox
Layla Miller

awkward...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Rockslide is dead so my top six can't happen :colbert:

I honestly can't remember what happened to the Rockslide/Wrongslide thing that happened after X of Swords, I think one of the Spurrier books used him somewhat? Or was that in Ayala's New Mutants?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really liked All New Wolverine :/ I guess I haven't read much of his besides that and X-Men Red vol 1?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I always get Age of X and Age of X-Man confused

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

All new wolverine had some redemptive character growth for Akihiro

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

New Mutants' Hickman/Ayala was really good (Brisson's issues were ok but nothing spectacular) but I bailed hard when Anders took over.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Fishylungs posted:

Pyro still has his face tattoo. That's funny! Everyone died and your still stuck looking like a goober with a skull tattoo.

duggan had some weird ideas for edginess in marauders..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

we're all clamoring for the big Sprite comeback