Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyar2C_wEq8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's entirely possible that the first X-men comic I owned was the Dark Phoenix trade, and even if it wasn't I'll just say that it was. Now my first exposure to the X-men period was almost definitely Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I think I know what Williams was going for in those first few GSB issues, but it just didn't work, and I don't blame anybody who checked out early. That being said Amazing Mary Jane is also a fun read, so she's had more hits than misses.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I could've sworn she could turn it on/off herself because she'd overcome some psychological thing. I know there was something about her being able to absorb at range, too.

She definitely had a power dampening necklace at the start of Mr. and Mrs. X because she asks Beast to turn it into a tennis bracelet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

galagazombie posted:

To be fair, everything about the teen X-men plot was stupid and bad. I'm just glad they're finally gone.

The Teen Jean solo series was good, but that's about the only thing from that era I have any fondness for.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Those were some bitchin sunglasses.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, that's Sting? I thought it was Billy Idol.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I appreciate how X-Men Empyre keeps saying "but what if more crazy?"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Cable is really all over the place, but it works.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty lame issue of New Mutants, but Cable is still a lot of fun.

Young Cable pulling a Bill and Ted to get himself out of his space knight conundrum was great. And very timely too with the new Bill and Ted movie out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Read Excalibur before X-Men.

I agree with this, but at the same time, if you don't it's not a big deal. Excalibur expands on a minor point in X-Men.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

this Franklin Richards thing is basically that bit about how Squirrel Girl isn't a mutant and a doctor legally signed a binding document confirming she was not but entirely serious.

It also reminds me of how Gwenpool retconned herself into being a mutant at the end of her most recent miniseries.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it's still the same as it's always been.

In the Dawn of X style info page Gwen writes for herself in the last issue of GSB she says she might have a mutant ability but that's up to the next writer to decide.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Magneto had some amazing facial expressions in Sword as well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

I read today's X-Men and my feelings can be summarized in one panel.

I did like Doug's response to that question.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Daken is not attacking the guy.

This is neither here nor there, but I'm pretty sure the forensic tech was a woman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

so uh, am I supposed to know who that dude at the end of SWORD was? The only thing I can think of is Cable since he has a glowy eye and a comically oversized gun but other than that he doesn't look like Cable at all.

Glowy eye, big gun, big sword, robot arm, sure seems like Cable,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

rantmo posted:

That's what I meant, I just couldn't remember which got phased: the planet or the planet-sized bullet.

She did phase an entire planet when she got cosmic powers in that goofy Black Vortex crossover story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Metalshark posted:

I'm fascinated by the subjectivity of this because I absolutely recall seeing Rod Reis' Rahne and going, "oh, based on Maisie Williams, cool", so I thought I'd chuck up some actual pictures. Seems quite clear to me!

The chins look quite different to me, but to each their own.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Krakoa Welcomes, a generally positive account deciding to go really loving hard on Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda weeks after the show ended is incredibly funny to me.

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1370942353096200192?s=20

Weeks? It ended last Friday.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I can't point to any one story and say "Slott stole that from Doctor Who" but the fairytale vibe that pervaded a lot of the stories in general, and Dawn's arc in particular, felt very much like something Davies or Moffat would've written for the Doctor Who revival.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

But even DeMatteis said that Steve's dad was an alcoholic, the very next panel after that one with Sarah

So Remender making Steve's dad an alcoholic, abusive piece of poo poo didn't come entirely from nowhere.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1400497512897777673

Nick Foles??

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

danbanana posted:

His mutant power is his (supposedly) giant dick. So he's a perfect fit for Krakoa...

Pete Alonso, though? At least Foles has a Super Bowl ring...

Alonso's done everything Aaron Judge has.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

danbanana posted:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/pete-alonso/19251/stats?position=1B

0.0217 fWAR/game

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/aaron-judge/15640/stats?position=OF

0.0432 fWAR/game

We're not even talking close to the same caliber of player, injuries or not. Maybe that changes as Alonso progresses but...

Also, if Marvel HAS to pick a Met... DeGrom- literally the best pitcher on the planet for the last few years- is right there.

Yeah, but unless you're talking about Pujols in his prime, a 1B is never going to come close to matching a competent outfielder in fWar because of the position adjustments. My main point was they both won RoY and socked a record number of dingers in the process.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

What's the saying, if you don't know the product a website is selling you're the product?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

danbanana posted:

This is how it renders for me at the end:

Maybe it's my tablet? All issues did this for me. As Graphic Design Is Jon Hickman's Passion, I'm more willing to think this is intentional but it also could be a very weird coincidence.

You're completely overthinking it. The underside of the word "and" is visible at the bottom of the black bar, my guess is your tablet isn't properly stitching the images together or something like that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'll say this for Aaron's Avengers, it does not want for plot threads. I'm interested in seeing if there's something that links all of them together or if instead he'll keep wrapping them up one by one, like he seemed to do with Coulson and the Squadron Supreme in Heroes Reborn, and kind of seems to be with the Atlantis and Red Widow machinations in the current World War She-Hulk storyline.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It's voting time!
This year's X-Men choices are:

Armor
Avalanche
Bling!
Firestar
Gentle
Gorgon
Micromax
Penance
Siryn
Surge

https://www.marvel.com/characters/x-men-vote

Had to go with Firestar, she's a dang amazing friend.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gologle posted:

Are Firestar, Spider-Man, and Iceman still friends? Super friends, one might say?

I think you mean amazing friends. Super friends are those other guys.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Also, I was kinda hoping something bad would have happened to Jon Hamm since he's been the Sinister fancast for so long
It's not a fancast, he was in talks to play the character before the Fox X-men films imploded.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

danbanana posted:

Seriously, I'm late Gen X and even I'm annoyed by the boomer poo poo in this book.

Look at it this way, can you think of anyone whose resurrection would give Boomers a bigger stiffy? Emma was just trying to play to her audience.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think the Krakoa Era is ending, but I do think we'll see the Quiet Council come to an end.

Here's Firestar's new costume:

That's okay, it I think I like her 90s redesign a hair bit better.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's fine that the story ended with the world not being turbo decimated, but everyone remembers being turbo decimated.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Having a little argument with my friend but is the "SPIDER-MAN #10 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER BY STEPHANIE HANS" character Firestar? The star in the middle and the mask makes me think yes and she is connected to Spidey. They also have Black Cat and MJ on the cover of "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #29 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER BY DAVID NAKAYAMA" so I'm going to lean towards yes it is Firestar.

She's on fire, of course it's Firestar.

Yes, it took me a while to figure that out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

:staredog: is right, the X certainly did Fall.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Civil War 2 was like three years before the Captain Marvel movie came out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

danbanana posted:

In my complaints in previous issues of this mini, I forgot to complain about how loving dumb the Dr. Gregor twist is.

Good choice of words

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/x-men-summer-2024-titles-creative-teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I do get the overly grim complaint with Taylor's Red since iirc, it involved Cassandra Nova putting a whammy on the entire planet to genocide mutants or something.

That said, it also had Gabby call Namor Ablantis, so imo 10/10 no notes.