Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
How has nobody reposted the UKMT approved tacticool voting guide yet

#DitchBoris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I'm actually fairly hopeful that a lot of the piss tory surge is coming from middle class FBPE types who would have just voted Conservative normally. I'd love to see some actual analysis of that, because pulling 1,000 from tory to yellow tory is still enough to flip a number of constituencies to Labour.

Meanwhile there's a real chance that Labour policies, being a sharp break from the standard technocrat neolib concensus might actually engage the 30% of the population that don't bother to vote.

Might be a vain hope, but the polling companies have massively screwed up the last two elections and the referendum so I really don't think their methods are actually representative.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

On the one hand, those lab - > lib numbers blow my hopes out of the water.

On the other hand, ehhhhh YouGov.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

This is truly excellent. And as one of the replies says the most surprising thing about this is a journalist actually asking for evidence, rather than just nodding and mh-hmming like they do for bald faced tory lies.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also the dog is still alive :ohdear:

We regret to inform you the dog has been taxidermied.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Eschenique posted:

This can't possibly be real.

Goddammit for a moment there I almost humanised a tory.

Eschenique posted:

They're tree kittens :mad:

This is your monthly reminder that grey squirrels are a pestilence, a pox, a horde of ravening parasites that devastate local woodlands and bird populations. Just like actual kittens, I guess.

Also, again, if you ever manage to catch one it's actually illegal to NOT kill it.

Anyway how 'bout them super rich huh.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Borrovan posted:

gently caress the police

quote:

The grey squirrel is regarded as an invasive non-native species following its inclusion under Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Country Act 1981. Under Schedule 9 of the WCA, it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape, without a license granted by Natural England. This means if you trap one, you are obliged to humanely dispatch it.

Offences under section 14 carry a maximum penalty of a £5,000 fine and/or 6 months imprisonment on summary conviction (i.e. at Magistrates’ Court) and an unlimited fine (i.e. whatever the court feels to be commensurate with the offence) and/or 2 years imprisonment on indictment (i.e. at Crown Court).

That's right, it's illegal to allow the bastards to escape.

Now how do we get billionaires added to schedule 9 of the WCA.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

According to her Bio she is an aspiring purveyor of Jewish breads. This is a cultural appropriation and hence an anti-semitism.

Yes, even if she's Jewish. This is bad for Corbyn.

E: This is a good source: https://medium.com/@nadinebatchelorhunt_/30-examples-of-antisemitism-in-the-uks-conservative-party-9e7801b1b427

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

This is ... actually, probably good for Corbyn? 'Look at both these SpAds, trying to ram through a hard brexit. Maybe Corbyn isn't secretly a leaver after all.'

E: Uber Eats delivers Nandos to allotments now? But what about the sullen underclass trapped in the gig economy Jeremeny! :byodame:

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 3, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/hbaldwin/status/1191312750506631169

Lmfao, how petty.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

99% of the claims that a certain word derives from an acronym (almost always swears or other slang) are bollocks

I had a fun five minutes explaining what a quango was to one of my German colleagues this morning.

Quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation, i.e pay people a stupid salary to sit around and have a bureaucratic circle jerk.

I wanted to post the lib Dem thing earlier, but it seemed insensitive to say that the lib dems were trying to fake it up for attention because nobody really cares enough about them to send anthrax.

E: Contrast that to McDonnels casual 'oh yeah I get two death threats a week on average' comment from earlier.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 4, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jo Swindon posted:

The Liberal Democrats are taking legal advice on their exclusion from a ITV leaders debate featuring Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn.

"The debates cannot be leave versus leave," Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson said in a press conference outside the Houses of Parliament this afternoon.

Ms Swinson also said that it was "sexist" to have a debate with only men.

The Liberal Democrats have already made a formal complaint to ITV.

What is this absolute nonsense? How can you sue someone for excluding you from their own TV shows. We're outside or purdah and even if we weren't there's no legal requirement for leader debates.

Also if there should be a third party it's obviously the SNP.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Frankly I now really want Corbyn to let one of his team sub in for him just to shut down this talking point. Only possible next woman PM? Nah, here's Diane Abbot tag teaming Blustering BoJo with Rebecca Long-Bailey.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 4, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

A bloodied bojo reeling from fist to fist within a ring of labour women

Yes I do perceive of all 'leadership debates' as WWE matches, why do you ask?

Even better, let's bring back gladiator. Wolf vs Corbyn. Bet we can get a channel 5 special out of that.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

We can have a SpAd attack round too, between Cummings and the magic unaging Seamus Milne I know who I'd choose.

Anyway the current plan is to have a program following on from the leadership debate for the 'lesser parties' to put their views across, which exactly matches the purdah rules. So this is really Jo; trying to force a legal argument that the lib dems have a realistic chance. Somehow not realising that every shred of evidence she tries to present also means the Brexit party should be included.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tories accuse Corbyn of being in the pay of the Ruskies - yet Cummings is or has been up to something dodgy with the Ruskies (don't ask me what!)

So yeah about that Russian thing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

Gruandiad posted:

Downing Street has effectively blocked the publication of a potentially explosive parliamentary report on the security threat that Russia poses to the UK until after the general election.

With the Commons tied up selecting a new Speaker, the Lords held a special debate about the withheld dossier, following an urgent question from the crossbench peer Lord Anderson, a national security expert. He insisted the delay was unjustified. “It invites, I’m afraid, suspicion of the government and its motives,” he said.

Earl Howe, responding for the government, told peers: “The length of time that the government had had for this report is not at all unusual. It was delivered on 17 October – that is not a very long time ago. And the prime minister is entitled to take his view on what the report contains.”

He was faced with sceptical questions from all sides of the chamber. The crossbencher Lord Butler, a former cabinet secretary, said the document had first been sent out for official clearance on 28 March. “The whole point of this report is that it is relevant to a general election coming up,” he added.

Hmm, I wonder why this report keeps on getting put off a day or two before Brexit was supposed to happen. Someone somewhere along the chain is gonna leak this before the end of the election period I hope.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

blunt posted:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1191408591594491904

Swinson might get her three-way after all then.

Goddamn son, now I need some brain bleach to remove that image.

SNP are already bitching about not getting invited to that one btw.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dear lord that's almost Trumpesque. Surprised it didn't end with 'I'll call you' like the letter to Turkey.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Interesting comparison of trend lines then and trendlines now https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1191611249987129344

I like that the little downtixk matches exactly too. To steal an awful bitcoiner phrase, to the moon from now on?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Happy Glorification of Domestic Terrorism night everyone.

Will anyway be attended one of the pagan rituals where small explosives are used as an offering in an attempt to ward off larger explosions?

Really needs a hot take from the reporting-on-the-uk-like-the-uk-reports-on-africa twitter account.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

The last couple of days have really highlighted to me that the tory party is just loving disintegrating. So many 'moderates' quitting, the 'gaffes' that ten years ago would have seen people slung out on their ear, the sheer bloody incompetence of their electoral strategy so far compared to what seems like a labour blitz. Just ideologically brain dead and going through the motions.

The problem is so many low-information voters just aren't going to realise and still loving vote for them out of inertia. Just look at those replies to Corbyn's revolution tweet and how few people even bothered to watch the first ten seconds of video. Depressing, as much as I hold out hope for real change.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

To be fair to them it wouldn't surprise me to wake up tomorrow and find Chukka back in Labour. As if they'd have him. Maybe the Brexit party?

In less nihilistic news, Crace is a bit hit or miss for me normally but this is an excellent headline:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/05/jo-swinson-fails-to-tread-line-between-ambition-and-delusion

Guardian seem to have put on their big girl pants and are getting close to actually fully endorsing labour for this election.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 5, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

toxx this statement you coward!

Yeaaahh screw that. I wouldn't trust the Grauniad to eat a bacon sandwich without somehow smearing it over every possible bodily extremity.

E: That said ... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/04/the-guardian-view-on-labours-radical-plans-fix-the-economy-and-democracy

However, :toxx:: Labour will win an overall majority in the December 2019 elections, or lowtax gets another $10 towards his cyber-spine.

(My second ever toxx, and jesus it's been 12 years since I actually paid anything for these forums so why not :regd07:)

RockyB fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 6, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of silly bets, odds on an overall Labour majority are now at 12/1 rather than the 22/1 I believe they were this time last week.

Liberal democrat overall majority is generally sitting at 100-125/1, which is hilariously worse than the Brexit party at 80-100/1.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1190821622527201281

Ratjaculation posted:

leak this report you coward!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

As several other people have said this thread has actually radicalised a lot of people. Me certainly, with actual leftish policies this is my second vote for Labour after having the "they're all the loving same" cynicism and voting for the funniest independent before then. There was also that one guy who was originally supposed to spy on this thread for capital and got radicalised, which is still hilarious.

Anyway, Cummies what are you doing this is not the way to run an election grid ffs

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/06/government-universal-credit-deception-asa-taxpayer-funded-features
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50304322

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Rustybear posted:

What was this?

It came up the last time this thread has this "but posting here doesn't really help anything" derail, I want to say 6 months, a year ago? Back around 2008 some lad was employed by a finance company to 'monitor threats', which included this thread. So he read it and got :marxed: instead.

Might have mixed up a fair few details there, but the outline stuck with me.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jippa posted:

The UKMT is going nuts. I can barely keep up.

Tories make a million dollars,
I make a dime,
That's why I threadshit,
On company time.

Camrath posted:

Edit: and to fully complete the change, fired off the volunteer form for momentum straight after typing this out. Ngl, I’m terrified (mental health stuff has kept me mostly housebound for the past few years), but perhaps this’ll be what I need as well as helping gently caress the tories in whatever way.

Solidarity mate.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Graundiad posted:

Ofcom may investigate Kay Burley’s “empty chairing” of James Cleverly (see 9.56am), the Press Association reports. The media watchdog has received numerous complaints regarding the Sky News presenter’s actions. Complaints are understood by PA new agency to relate to Burley’s claims and the empty chair gesture. A spokeswoman for Ofcom said: “We are assessing these against our broadcasting rules before deciding whether or not to investigate.”

Was the name on all these complaints a variation of 'J. V. Clever'.

Good to see the tories are up to their usual flailing attempts at intimidation.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

But it was perfectly balanced - there was no Labour or SNP person on camera either.

But if you listen extremely closely you can just about hear the faint strains of 'Vote Jo;' in the background, in the voice of the Stop Brexit guy.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I've been psyching myself up to do this all week, so I think I have a new election slogan for the Conservatives.

"Do you know the creeping sense of dread as, week after week, the water in your shower drains slower and slower? Until you find you're cutting short your morning ablutions just so the water doesn't spill over the lip and cascade through gaps in the tiles to the floor below? The Tories don't. The Tories have people for that. The conservative party is the physical embodiment of paying someone else to clean out the hairtrap in your shower.

The Conservative Party: Vote for Job Creation. Vote for some poor sod to clean Johnson's shower for minimum wage"

RockyB fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 6, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I'm talking specifically about the sediment cup type inserts you stick down the shower pipe, where you have to scoop the hair sludge out every once in a while.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1632203351...DCABEgLnBPD_BwE

Honestly I think I'd rather have a straight pipe I can dump toxic chemicals down than a filter system that needs cleaning.

But just imagine: A fetid, matted mass of lank blonde hair. Intermixed with the odd darker strand from Acuri, and the flop sweat of a grunting heavyweight tory politician.

£8.21 an hour. £4.35 if you can find a young enough intern!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1192024742506696704?s=19
Just seeing basic, actual journalism being applied is like magic

I really, really hope it continues like this. Conservatives just do not know how to react when members of the press don't have their tongue firmly wedged up tory arse. Sooner or later the sheer volume of crap might mean a few bits trickling down to those low information voters.

Anyway if there's one thing you can say for Jo; Swindon, it's that unlike most of her party she's been a dyed in the tartan lib dem since the cheeky girl era.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Shakespearean Beef posted:

lib dems putting their most personable and dynamic leader they've had in decades at the forefront of their campaign

Lembit's back?

E: I goddamn love that picture

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Oh my, someone has had a quiet word with him.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Tired: Irritating right winger steps down from labour deputy leadership with :decorum: and a nice exchange of letters

Wired: Conservative welsh leader steps down because of rape trial

Inspired: So, Chukka sees himself as a 'deputy leader' huh...

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The loot box is an affectation of capitalism, seize the means of loot production and distribute the gains to all.

Huh, suddenly all those 'dungeon core' LitRPG books make for more marxist sense.

Also I know you're kinda trolling here beefy but:

https://www.tom-watson.com/consultation_on_loot_boxes
https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1186591091308552192

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Good morning all. As I do my bleary eyed pre-work trawl of the internet just look at this steaming pile of :thunk:

quote:

Even if Labour has the numbers to form a coalition government, I could see him failing to become PM. So many Labour MPs (even accounting for those who've abandoned the party or are stepping down) absolutely loathe him - would they actually back Corbyn as PM if they have a Labour alternative? What if the Lib Dems make "not Corbyn" a prerequisite for their support, and it's either this or rely on the SNP (which would surely lead to electoral disaster in the next election, especially if the Nats held and won indyref 2).

I could certainly see Swinson pitching for the PM role in a coalition government, with Labour making up most of the cabinet. It's not unprecedented, though it would be unusual - David Lloyd George was a Liberal prime minister in a Lib-Con coalition, where the Tories could have formed a majority by themselves.

Comment, not commentariat

RockyB fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 7, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Well this is just precious

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/07/jo-swinson-tactical-voting-general-election

Beware of dodgy tactical voting sites – they’re the last resort of outmoded Centerists.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

If anyone has any ideas on how to Labour-ise him, let me know

Beret and Che t-shirt, duh.

E: Oh god that Cameron photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007