Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Maugrim posted:

What's this - who's not allowed to engage with politics during purdah? Are you both civil servants?

Grade 7 is a civil service rank, so yeah.

e: lots of places will have a 'Grade 7', obviously, but the Civil Service is the one which also has purdah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

gh0stpinballa posted:

i will never stop finding it weird that this thread is in D&D and not c-spam given how far left you all are lol

This thread was originally a holdover from LF (RIP).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Surprise T Rex posted:

"You say no billionaires, Jemery but you yourself have up to 3 millian poonds!"

I feel like people just don't understand how much more money a billion is than a million.

I looked into this, his "£3 million" is a net worth estimated by some magazine for rich tossers that includes his entire pension pot (£1.6 million) plus some handwaving about salary figures. Check it out for yourself, it's a load of shite.

By comparison as well, the same site lists Jacob Rees-Mogg as worth over £100 million, including a single house that is worth twice as much money as Corbyn has made in his entire life.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lol, the people's vote lot are still locked out of their office by Amber Rudd's brother, who's 'anonymously' briefing the press that actually everything is fine, thanks.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

marktheando posted:

What is the deal with Milne? From the media I understand he's a Stalinist brexiteer who whispers in old king Corbyn's ear like wormtongue.

How much of that is true? I'm pretty sure he's probably not actually a Stalinist, but he definitely seems to be pro-Brexit?

A certain section of the pseudo-left press felt like he personally betrayed them by shifting camps to join the Corbyn project at the time when they were all trying to kill him stone dead. Because of that they were happy to nurture what is essentially a conspiracy theory about his dark Stalinist influence, which is now self-sustaining and has true believers.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/eddiemarsan/status/1191148409450881025

Only centrists can deliver the adult politics of not believing in anything at all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ahem.

"John Won'tcock"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That might be a bigger lightning rod for arguments than no poppy at all.

Wear a rainbow one.

Funny you should mention it, this delight just scrolled past me on Facebook:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Fine! I caved and joined the Labour Party, Momentum, and the secret Momentum slack.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

DesperateDan posted:

Slack is a bit like a poo poo(tier) version of discord goddamn

Other way round, Discord is gamer Slack. Reply threads are good, not have one central website you get on all your slacks through is bad.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I lol'd at seeing the podcast in the replies, but pissflexit.gif sent me over the edge. Just the idea of a professional journalist staring at it and trying to deduce its meaning.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

xtothez posted:

He didn't even come up with it, it's adapted it from the "pedo finder general" in Monkey Dust.

Incredible "change a few words copying your homework from wikipedia" energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw&t=479s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Noel Edmonds screaming "none of you are free from sin!" at a different group of perverts every week.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

minema posted:

i'm learning coding by playing every Zachtronic game ever, how long until i can get a job please?

eta oh GOD there's a new one out and i don't have TIME for this!

TIS-100 is basically a game of my former PhD supervisor's thesis in parallel computing from the 90's.

e: I probably shouldn't miss the opportunity in the UKMT to point out that a popular design for parallel computing at that time was actually called the Transputer.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Tesseraction posted:

whomst of you

Unclear if this passes the sniff test. Search query URLs will be over HTTPS so Mr Invasive Landlord should only be seeing encrypted data with or without the VPN. He could be logging DNS requests or access to blocked IPs, but that's a bit different.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Angepain posted:

it's still there. (the front page allows you a spacious 600 pixels horizontally now, phwoar.) I think it just gradually slowed over the years, people appear to still be posting. the newsletter came back a few years ago, even. Rob is still around, messing about on twitter. The programmer went on to co-found Slack, apparently. Tom Scott does youtube videos now. "mrandmrswheatley" are acclaimed filmmakers. soon my web hosting will run out and nobody will see that one time i got a front page in 2003 anymore. time moves on forever

I made it into the newsletter as a grotty teen with a cracked version of Adobe Flash back in 2006. I've never felt more internet-famous.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Elsewhere in London entire terraces were replaced with “cottage flats” - a compromise between prefab/system homes and traditional construction, with manufactured front and back panels and interior walls, installed between brick-built supporting walls.

This design is extremely easy to maintain, as new panels can be dropped in, as at these ones in Bethnal Green, to replace doors, windows and insulation in one fell swoop. Because the brickwork is mostly internal, it’s protected from the elements and so requires basically zero maintenance, and these style of flats should easily outlast just about everything else in this list - except of course they’re almost inevitably the first to go when it comes time for private HAs to “regenerate” estates because they’re about the lowest-density housing built in London since the war, and many estates in Blitzed areas will have a scattering of them so they’re often the first casualties of supposed regeneration.

If I had my choice of any type of building to live in London, btw, it would be the later models of these cottage flats. They’re nicely laid out (apart from some weirdly having the kitchen on the ground floor while all the other rooms are upstairs), generally have gardens, and like I say are basically indestructible - and because they tend to hang out on the edges of big estates generally benefit from district heating and good links to the rest of town. You get all the benefits of a big council estate *and* of a little terrace. And naturally no fucker’s building them any more. The Dear Leader lives in one that is worth a million quid now because neoliberalism is worse for the housing situation in London than the loving Luftwaffe.

Can't say I was expecting to come into the UKMT of a Saturday night and see a picture of my former partner's parents house. Can confirm that they're proper lush, for living within walking distance of the 24h Beigel Bake.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ratjaculation posted:

After a 6hour marathon of Modern Warfare 2, he hands Jeffrey the controller. It is dry, no hint of use.

That reminds me, I made this terrible thing on the weekend

Gamers rise up and vote Labour

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Imagine not being able to go online and contribute to the more than 50% of abuse of MPs directed at Diane Abbott!

Also: BT's "digital wing", because any attempt to explain what OpenReach actually does makes it too obvious that it's a ridiculous thing to be in private ownership.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Zalakwe posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/nov/19/heres-an-election-idea-why-not-let-anyone-sit-oxbridge-finals

Worst person you know makes good point? I can't see why throwing open University level exams to all is a bad idea although I might not have noticed some unintended consequence.

quote:

Want a truly radical idea? Weirdly, it came from a Conservative, Dominic Raab, at a conference fringe event.

Weird!

Making education system centred entirely around "can pass exams" is supposed to be the problem, not the goal.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

writing real life women who you only know through twitter into your erotic fanfics is sexual harassment, please do not do that in the ukmt or really anywhere

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Another outing for the classic Brit journo defence, "it's not collusion, we're just all in exactly the same social circle"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

An unexpectedly strong pro-nonce stance from our current Prime Minister.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Best not to fall into the trap of doing what the media did with the NHS guy; of course politically engaged people are involved in politics, and of course those are the types of people who want to go on QT. What's shady is the Tory guy pulling the "You have made it impossible for me, a father of daughters, to vote Labour" when he clearly had no intention of ever voting Labour.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Necrothatcher posted:

Been invited to this:

https://www.thecockpit.org.uk/show/church_of_burn

My first reaction is that this is basically disgusting when people are freezing to death on the streets.

gently caress me this guy is tedious:

quote:

Whilst at the L.S.E. I spread my net as wide as I was allowed and then a little wider still, and tried to find out what Philosophy, Anthropology and Sociology had to say about Money. I also fell in love with Freud. It's a romance that's still ongoing, despite us not seeing eye to eye on Money. Around the time I was deciding whether or not to stay on for further study, I got a comment on a paper I'd written in which I'd claimed that Money seemed more like Gravity than anything else. My Philosophy Professor said that was 'plainly crazy'.

It smarted a bit at the time, but it helped me to make a decision. I went off and started a sex site called NaturalSex with Sally, my wife, and her friend. As you do. I had a great time doing that, but ended up a bankrupt.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Spot the difference

https://twitter.com/rowlsmanthorpe/status/1199397923836047363?s=20
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1149002876485865475

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jose posted:

Ms As or the cursed picture thread one because they're very different levels

this is a link to the cursed images thread that is then a link to the cursed image tagged so you are warned as to just how cursed this is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833370&pagenumber=1170&perpage=40#post500305432

It looks like someone wrapped a baseball bat in a quilt made of meat.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RockyB posted:

I thought Frances was normally a lot more melty than this

That's the good Frances, it's the other two who are evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

A blank cheque to rewrite everything is pretty much what all majority parties have had in the UK, to the same extent that permits. We just have a ~convention~ where they don't. Seems weird to get mad about the extremely vague bad things when there's some very specific bad things in there to get mad about. It's like people in the Blair era who were terrified of the Civil Contingencies Act but not all the authoritarian poo poo they actually did.