Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This thread's gonna be poppin', and next month's is going to be poppin' off

Hail and well met, comrades. As we fight for bread, remember that we fight for roses, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

IrvingWashington posted:

Hello Momentum #tech heads, I have done a NumberOfGoons++

I've only done One Goon :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tbf the main thing Hoxha did wrong was he failed to just move the entire country into a massive underground bunker that could house them all indefinitely, and could not be harmed with anything less than orbital mass drivers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Carborundum posted:

1. It is entirely possible that 4 years of non-stop Chairman Mao style bicycling by every major media outlet in Britain acting in their class interest could/will have an effect on this election wtf are you talking about?

2. As has already been said, if Labour lose, we just continue to fight. If they win, we continue to fight. The Tories don't vanish into dust if you beat them one time in an election. Strap yourself in.

They do if you elect someone powerful enough :maosay:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Please use their correct title, Momentum Thugs

If you're going to correct people you'd do well to be correct yourself. It's Jeremy Corbyn's Far Left Momentum Thugs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pochoclo posted:

Do you long for a left wing government? Interlinked.

You’re in an ocean swimming along in the piss when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a student, floating toward you. You reach down, you tax the student 5p for a plastic bag and then implement a massive rise in tuition fees. The student floats on their back, their belly baking in the hot sun, taking an unpaid internship to try and get experience so they can start paying off their tuition debts, but they can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

TwoShanks posted:

So as a (very) long term lurker I'm pumped as hell for the election. I've been drinking and listening to union songs all evening and just joined the IWW Cymru, canvassing tomorrow, and joined the Momentum volunteers group. Sorry this is a bit white noise, which is why I don't post, but let's do this. I'm actually optimistic for once.

You've seen the kind of shite we usually post, so even if you were a bad poster, unless you were on the level of the Unnameable Ones you'd be fine. As it stands you just said you're married to a tran and joining the wobblies, which means you're well above the level of a bad or even middling poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXoGxLx6yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty8X_LvGYGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tWbzDdx2s

Some Red Bangers imo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

painted into a coroner posted:

I've lurked for years now. Only occasionally posted. Trying to change that now, especially with all the poo poo surrounding Brexit and the upcoming election!

Thread is good, post more.

Your avatar pleases me immensely :allears:

Also if you lurk you HAVE to post now, I'm saying it and I'm trans so if you don't do it, it's transphobia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Quoted in three consecutive posts, I must be on fire tonight :eyepop:

Arglebargle III posted:

So like are you guys all eating canned baby yet or have your politicians done the relatively minor but weirdly unpopular work of avoiding a pointless self inflicted disaster?

Yeah we've delayed it to Jan 31st, and now we're doing a General Election, the outcome of which could radically change what's going on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I think my favorite part of the Praxcast is how absolutely unable to handle the bullshit Alasdair is at every single Comment or Commentariat

MODS???

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

(My favorite part is Rarity but that's because I have a crush on every trans girl)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hungry posted:

I've lurked UKMT for nigh on six or seven years, but I emigrated in 2017 so I've felt sort of cut off from British politics, which is awful because a Corbyn Labour party is the only time I've really felt I've had somebody representing me.

Become your adoptive country's Corbyn!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NLJP posted:

I am also a lurker and want to hank you regulars for the thread, I've been in hospital since early September and keep dipping into this hot bullshit and it is a good? distraction.

I should check out the podcast. Anyway, here we here we fuckin go, let's get the reds in finally

That's rough, but I hope whatever has you there is soon fixed, or at least handled well enough that you can get out of there!

njsykora posted:

Its 9am and I'm laid on my sofa after work eating custard creams. That's my Saturday morning.

Living the dream with some of the best biccies!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kingturnip posted:

The only people who care about 'controversial' things posted on Twitter are the people who post those things on Twitter.
Posting their sleep-sharts here, or responding in any way to the dreck they spend their day spamming their bandwidth with is A) a literal waste of bandwidth of everyone who visits this thread; and B) giving these attention-seeking shitheads exactly what they want.

Their life revolves around getting as much attention as possible from gullible fuckwits, so that they can cling on to the belief that they are, in some way, relevant. Deny them this - by ignoring them, for fucks sake - and you avoid fulfilling their narcissistic cravings.
Quote them and you're just being a massive oval office all around.

Nah, the terves are a going concern who are really loving UK trans/non-binary people over and laughing at their nonsense is sometimes the only response left to us

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Still a huge lmao

Two different incidents, hilariously enough! The Lily from Zombierland Saga is "Shut the gently caress up TERF" while the Cillit Bang one was... cillit bang lol imagine being threatened by BARRY SCOTT

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

sebzilla posted:

Lotsa polls out tomorrow (Sunday)

Mostly showing Labour gains.

It's on.

Wasn't there a post earlier saying the Tory internal polling was already showing that Labour had closed to within single-digit margins?

I mean I assume they're bricking it because they're trying the fracking 'ban' and now I see on the beeb the top story is 'ending' the benefits freeze (lol sure).

Honestly election reporting at this point should demand the article list all the government's broken promises and other calumnies on whatever the subject is, but whatcha gonna do

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'm guessing a chunk of people who were bigging up the other parties over the last year or two have suddenly found the election is providing a sharp incentive to return to the big two. Though whether that holds remains to be seen.

Ultimately the only poll that matters is Election Day but even those of us who know that AND have been burned by psephological shortcomings in the last few years are desperately examining the entrails and studying the birds in flight, because haruspicy and augury is all we have.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

One time I was flying back to the UK from my then-fiance and went through MSP and we were on the phone in the airport and decided it was bad and lovely to be apart when the Visa Waiver hadn't expired yet, so when they offered $800 of flight credit I leaped on it, stayed in a hotel overnight on Delta's dime as well, and spent the next day in Mall of America because the flight I got back to Montana instead of on to England was in the evening.

Well, that's my Minneapolis-St. Paul story.

MSP is probably the least lovely major airport I've ever been to, big, clean, pleasant to actually be in, loads of stores to browse (Including a surprisingly good bookstore that has much more than just airport pap!), a fuckin Galaga machine, food places, connection downtown via a neat tram system, the staff are friendly enough (Even the TSA are pretty polite and even the CBP guy who was suspicious of my anxiety at first became fully understanding when I showed him my doc's letter explaining it. I recognize that's big white privilege but compared to how they are in like Atlanta and Toronto, it's much better.).

Well, that's my MSP airport opinion.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 3, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

As I recall his idea was to train people to become "online gladiators" which I assume involves given his love of rome involves a lot of pederasty.

Nah he's just big into WoW Arena PvP

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

It's might be happening everyone...

You're getting Laurak on the show?!

e;

Vitamin P posted:

Reality would be so much more fun if people that wanted to influence the world did have to make like an Xaviers School for Grifted Children instead of just buying a slot in the neoliberal superstructure.

This is a very good pun, I lmao'd

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OzyMandrill posted:

Yeah, my misses is kinda supportive but doesn't really want to vote Labour here cos welsh labour appear to be a blairite rump state atm. the conversation goes 'Well why haven't labour built lots more council houses then, it's devolved here and they've been in power forever. And the answer is, they're still the poo poo lot from before Jezza. To which the reply is 'and you want me to vote for them then?'

I guess the response there would be "If the main Labour party wins they'll be able to exert a lot of influence to make Welsh Labour less poo poo" though I don't know if that's... actually true lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

bump_fn posted:

no parliawint is good

no, parliawint is good

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azza Bamboo posted:

To produce a picture like that could take up to two hours. There's little technical flexes he does, mainly having multiple subjects in a frame in consistent perspective, and managing to have his unusual face drawing technique be legible at numerous angles. That two hours is assuming he's only producing one picture, and not doing the photographer's strategy of making a shitload of images to only submit the best one. It's not worth £29k a month but it's definitely not poo poo. The man's tidiness, watercolouring and linework are things I am envious of.

I appreciate that it is a matter of artistic skill and respect, but I want to make extremely clear to you that you are vastly better than Matt is in every regard, and in a just world, if he's being paid 29 large a month, you would rightly earn enough to be the world's first defensible billionaire.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It reminds me of a discussion yeats ago in the Ctrl-Alt-Del thread years ago - someone posted a CAD comic with the text removed and asked if you could guess what the characters were doing, and then did the same with a few others like Penny Arcade, PvP and VGCats.

At least with VGCats and PA, the characters facial expressions and poses expressed what they were saying, but with CAD you had no idea because it was all expressionless poo poo. The same thing is happening here. There's nothing interesting or visually unique going on.

Holy poo poo lmao :hmbol:

Beefeater1980 posted:

Re mattchat, isn’t it good that a worker owns the fruits of his own labour instead of a capitalist?

Of course, if you apply that rule strictly then investment bankers are good because they basically defraud capital owners.

Yeah, this is why I hesitate to condemn like, sports stars and musicians and the like who make mad bank. I want higher taxes on them, but it's money earned honestly through giving a lot of people what they want (Even if we can all quibble about whether someone is 'worth' a club paying £X money for) and even if it's outsized to their social contributions, it still relies on a lot of people voluntarily deciding that Sports is Good and Valuable, or an album is The Slap, or whatever. In short they're providing actual value, I guess. Twats what move money around or just own property are leeches who should be a far more immediate target. Matt's a bit different because he uses his work to directly stan for conservative hatred and boomer cowardice, so he's actively doing harm even if he's also doing honest work.

Plus I'm a little hesitant to condemn that kind of thing because historically some of the very few ways a poor kid from the council estates/projects/banlieues could actually make huge money have been to be LeBron or Ronaldo or some poor scouser kids in the 50s, which I recognize is a very tiny positive in a very negative system and makes no systemic difference. But ehhh as above, I think there are much bigger targets to go after first, and it'd be much better to worry about a fairer and better society elsewhere before we worry about any kind of systemic corrections of that kind of thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

mehall posted:

Just sent an email to the Tory complaints address regarding the anti-Semitic comments from one RT. Hon. Michael Gove MP and called on them to address this before his constituents in Surrey Heath cast their ballots, as they deserve to know the full character of his nature beforehand.

Edit;

Catte tax

I am eager for their no-doubt rapid and effective reply!

I am further eager for that kitten to be given pet!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Had another chat with my parents about the upcoming election. They're amused by the Tory shitfest that is the start of their campaign and they're angry about the Lib Dem outright lies, but I can't get them enthused about Jezza. Though they'll still vote for Labour here, but they both think Corbs has a virulent hatred of the EU and is a secret, ardent Leaver, and my step-dad outright doesn't believe he'll give us a second referendum.

I mean if they'll vote that's what really matters but I have NO idea how you'd get through to those kinds of beliefs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I guess ask why they have them, fundamentally the thing that inocculates me against a lot of the poo poo is basic marxism that leads me to disbelieve basically everything that comes out of a paper or a tv screen.

If you don't have that it's gonna be hard.

Yeah but they think that's where they are currently, sensibly disbeliving and sceptical, especially of politicians.

e; They have drunk somewhat of the fubpee well and believe Brexit is the only issue that matters atm, and leaving will make doing anything else impossible so it doesn't matter whether it's Tories or Labour who actually do it because we'd be equally hosed.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 4, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

forkboy84 posted:

Just want you to know how much I hate you far reminding me that Fleetwood Mac existed and we're dogshit. You swine.

Sorry, hold up, cancel all other discussions.

What

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"1 user has been banned today"

:getin:

Jose posted:

lmao that av

It's amazing lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly I like horrible unpleasant music and Fleetwood Mac do some of the most offensively inoffensive middle of the road soft rock. Similar feelings about Journey, Toto, Chicago, Boston, Hall & Oates, etc. It's just very much not my vibe. Not to say I don't like music with melody & that, but it's not that sort of thing.

I'm having a stroke and heart attack at the same time reading this

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Communist Thoughts posted:

Did the flaps thread get deleted? There were good memes in there

Goldmined I believe

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The UK has extremely powerful transphobia. That particular person might be a bot but it could just as easy be a real Mumsnet poster.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rarity posted:

Whoa, what the actual gently caress. The coconut was TinTower, not me. I know we're both trans but we are different people.

Oh I had no idea TT wss trans lol, learn something every day.

Also yes please correct your post Private Speech, Rarity is very good people and distinctly doesn't make racist posts.

Eschenique posted:

Top Gear are Tories? Are there any good famous Brits left?

Please tell me Sean Connery is still cool.

Oh boy, uhh...

Connery stans for spousal abuse so... he's not super great

(To my knowledge Patrick Stewart is an all around good egg though)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That Top Gear pic, "Preparing for life under Corbyn" as in... being able to take an occasional holiday abroad because you have the economic security to do so, and we've made enough progress on carbon controls and recapture that (appropriately taxed and regulated) air travel is an acceptable thing to do?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah... Not to be a debbie downer but you might want to check with the climate change thread for a perspective on if that's still in the cards. The tl;dr is that it really isn't.

Though I personally think air travel should be the last to go for a number of reasons, using it for vacation travel is an incredible waste at this point.

Oh don't worry. I live in deliberate ignorance of that, because I am already enough of an anxious mess!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

limited posted:

I thought this too. Surely it would've been easier and-or smarter to throw the council / building management under the bus instead?

Seeing as they've got plenty of evidence of hazards being raised with both bodies, the company saving a few quid by using lovely materials and gently caress all was done about either.

It would have been incredibly easy to just say "It's the local council's fault" and turn that into a virtue, i.e. "Look, we're not partisan, we'll criticize a Tory council when they get it wrong!" and they don't even have to do anything after that just refer to it for the next few weeks and forget about it after the election.

But the tories are so thoroughly convinced of their own brain genius (Why would anyone disobey the instructions of the fire service? They're literally designed from the ground up to know exactly what's best to do in situations like this!) right to rule and superiority of their blood that they literally can't help themselves from talking poo poo about the victims of one of the great disasters in this country's recent history and the worst fire in 30-odd years.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

At about 1:03:50 in Episode 12 of the podcast, someone's cat meows repeatedly.

I would like to make it known that this is exactly the kind of content I want more of, please give me more meowing cattes. :catte:

e; Well I did a snipe.

67 is two short of nice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The catte belongs to Videogames and is one of three!

Definitely my fave mod now :allears:

Also fake e; ^^^ Yeah even if I was able to overcome my anxiety and knock on doors I'd be really bad at it, I'm just... an awkward goony weirdo. I'd probably get in shouting matches.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bundy posted:

The great thing about Labour/Momentum's campaign vehicle is there's poo poo loads of other stuff you can do. Twitter mine, fact check, send texts out to people, phone people if you're more at ease on the phone than face to face, or just pure data entry/tech support/computer touching.

We can ALL get Corbs into number 10!

My anxiety is bad enough that posting on SA is something I often can't manage, let alone interacting with human beings of any description, but I am trying to summon enough strength to see about data entry stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

jabby posted:

Yeah there's no way this is deliberate.

I can well believe there are a handful of voters who think Grenfell victims brought it on themselves, but those voters a) don't need to hear it from anyone else and b) aren't target voters for the Tories.

The Tories are explicitly targeting working-class voters. I'm pretty sure their strategy board didn't include insulting the intelligence of the working-class victims of a tragedy.

"Oh. Oh no! When you said we're targeting working-class voters we thought you meant, like, to launch attacks on them!" - Every tory