Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Braggart posted:

You know, I think one of the motivations for BREX to contest every seat was that it allows more of them to get in on the grift. Nige still gets the lion's share, but it's a trickledown trough.

:mrapig:

ah I see you're familiar with Wrigley Field

(this is a joke that will make no sense outside of SAS baseball threads)

e: my catte making friends with one of the neighbour's new kittens

(pictured about 2 seconds before he tried to whack it through the glass)

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao mate even if Labour got a massive majority there's a chance they would refuse to vote for him to be Prime Minister.

who bought Dan Hodges an account

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

why do centrists always post like this

yeah the person who's talking about not supporting Labour if they get a centrist leader is definitely a centrist, sure

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who decides who gets a vote? Can the PLP reform the system to be like the Tory one?

the NEC is in charge of stuff like leadership contests

and it's basically full of Momentumites rn

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I mean, yes you get to vote however, just as you technically can choose to play a shooter by only moving, not aiming with the other stick. It’s valid input, but it’s not how the system is actually meant to work, and is the least useful thing to do for your constituency.

pretty sure the best thing for my constituency is to have a Labour government

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Wait I thought that was :thejoke:

Also I don't see the problem with a debate between the leaders of the 3 main parties but why tf is Swinson calling Ian Blackford a "girly swot"

depends how you define "three main parties"

because the SNP have got more than twice the MPs that the Libs do

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

it's a shame zoom & enhance is bollocks so we can't see what's on his shelves

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Superterranean posted:

OK so - free parking works well until people abuse it. There are lots of other things that work the same way; the mugs and coffee pot in the break room, for example.

I choose to believe that nobody intentionally abuses the coffee situation or never takes their turn at washing up or whatever. But people do fall into bad habits sometimes. Usually, in the coffee pot case, they can be rehabilitated with a polite "please wash your own dishes, it's rude not to". At what scale does that kind of, uh, societal/social reinforcement stop working? Why can't we put up 'please don't park here' signs and...go on with our lives?

Writ in the extreme, is it just that people don't see with their own eyes the people they're hurting that allows them to participate in exploitative systems?

I disagree with your initial premise

who exactly is "abusing" free hospital parking? it's not like they're tourist attractions, generally people who are going to a hospital are doing it because they actually need to

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

There is an issue where hospitals are well located for other non hospital related things and people just use it as free parking rather than hospital parking.

If that is the case then a system where patients and visitors simply give their registration to hospital staff on arrival solves this and then someone walks around the car park with the list or it's done by cameras solves it without means tested car parking or any notion of grading people needing medical care.

every hospital I've ever been to has been in the arse end of nowhere but I suppose that makes sense

have a system that requires a ticket to exit and have them given out at reception desks inside the hospital

having to lie through their teeth to get their 2 hours free parking would put off a lot of people

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

flaps has finally appeared in his referendum thread lol

one the one hand having a(nother) thread devoted entirely to him is probably feeding his ego even more

on the other it means he's about to be shitcanned so it's probably worth it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Eschenique posted:

This can't possibly be real.

what about the name "Wurrence Telephene" gave it away

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah I'm also looking into volunteering in my constituency, data entry sounds good because I'm not very good at speaking to people and I don't deal well with hostility so I don't know how well I'd do at doorknocking

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
also at the peak weren't there problems like it took hours to actually cash out a single bitcoin? so even if your hoard is worth £1 million on paper (well, as much as paperless currency can have a value on paper) actually exchanging them for that value of currency was basically impossible

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jose posted:

some seinfeld money. don't think he has enough to be spending 100m on a newspaper. he just wants his name in the press

he also owns (used to own?) Breitbart, that's gotta be worth a shitload based on traffic and ad revenue

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My rule of thumb is that acronyms don't actually exist.

Occasionally I'll get caught out, and something actually is an acronym, but the odds are very much in my favour.

acronyms are a relatively very recent invention - RADAR was one of the first commonly used ones and that was invented the 1940s

99% of the claims that a certain word derives from an acronym (almost always swears or other slang) are bollocks

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

dammit why couldn't she have been my candidate

instead Cov NW is gonna get some loving melt parachuted in I bet

e: oh I didn't see that we elected our candidate over the weekend

https://twitter.com/tai_temi

she's a Fabian so probably pretty melty all things considered

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 4, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mediadave posted:

Who is Lindsay Hoyle? Why is he the runaway favourite to become speaker?

he was the Deputy Speaker under Bercow

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

that is some roasted loving gammon right there

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CoolCab posted:

yeah i agree, it seemed very harsh. like ostracising is the most extreme consequence we can put on posters itt, be ginger with it.

agreed

getting a couple of posters confused is pretty easy to do for lurkers or people who don't post ITT very much, and PS apologised for it too

arbitrarily deciding it's worthy of telling people to get the gently caress out is a pretty cunty response

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Actually looking at the last results holy crap she's got a massive majority now, it was close to a 3-way marginal last time I voted there. gently caress it, jam it is!

I think you'd be safe voting Labour. Minimal support for BXP, Tory support seems unlikely to gain much in such a Remain constituency and the LDs probably aren't going to be running a candidate, so your worst-case scenario is the Greens keeping the seat and best-case is it flipping to Labour.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there is literally zero chance Rees-Mogg has ever been inside a tower block which didn't have a concierge and a viewing platform

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

My first clip tonight. I'm nervous our candidate will be utter bobbins and depress me, seeing as this place is Tory heartland.

look on the positive side, a seat in Tory heartland means you're unlikely to get a careerist melt as a candidate so in theory you're more likely to get a good egg who's a true believer

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also I'm keeping up my 100% record of having weird pets - my dog, for the 11th year running, is refusing to give two shits about the fireworks and is in fact snoring loudly enough to drown them out. My cat, meanwhile, is desperate to go out so he can see what all the noise is about.

my cat is 100% unbothered by the fireworks when he's indoors but he keeps wanting to go outside then thinking better of it when he's actually presented with the opportunity and it's a lot louder and closer

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
gonna spend the rest of the evening trolling fubpees with "yes I think the leader of the 3rd party who has a strong Remain voice should definitely be invited to the debate"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Because he sabotaged a rape trial.

The Tories are going to keep absolutely loving up in ways that should be the death nail for any political party and still get over 35% of the vote.

death knell

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
huge lols irl that the “Corbyn’s Labour are a personality cult” Lib Dems are spending this campaign driving around in a bus with their leader’s face plastered all over it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

You put them on in the dark, they’re nothing like you expected them to be, then you fumble for hours trying to figure out how you’re going to take it out, and in the end no matter what happens everyone involved is frustrated?

74% of UKMT posters agree this was a good snipe
Source: YouGov

they’re an 100% effective method of birth control since no-one will gently caress you if you’re using one

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

probably trying to extort a “please go away and stop drawing attention to the scandal” payment from CCHQ

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

This is amazing... hello, what do we have here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D79IrmumF8

I'd like to introduce to you Mammy P and her Brexit Rap!

The lyrics are listed on her YouTube page and I strongly encourage you to check them out if you want to see text somehow get drunk and disorderly as you scroll down them in real time

nothing says "giving it with both barrels" like censoring the word "crap"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

good god who thought this photo op was a good idea

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Knight to F6

ah the Gioco Piano

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

iirc it's still used for eye surgery because all the other local anesthetics could damage the surface, although maybe they've got better ones now.

I keep putting off going to have my eyes re-lasered but if they're going to offer me a couple of lines first I'll get on it 9am tomorrow

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 7, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jabby posted:

Whichever way this election goes the PLP is going to be a better place without so many raging arseholes around and Twatson no longer leaking anything damaging and trying to sabotage the NEC.

News today seems meh for Labour at worst. Lead item was Javid vs McDonnell, with the subtext being 'they both want to borrow and invest, but McDonnell a lot more'. Lots of emphasis on it basically being the same fundamental strategy, which is going to make it hard for the Tories to attack on the economy.

Second item was Austin, yet more claims of antisemitism without a single example brought up. Doubt attacks like that are going to have much effect. At best, it sucks oxygen away from the Tories and makes it seem like they're doing nothing.

the Alun Cairns thing is still going, which with the ex-DJ oval office in Norfolk are making it pretty easy to paint the Tories as a party that hates women (as well as poors and browns ofc)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

Not sure who the worst person in today's canvassing was:

A) The student with no political position despite their main issue being education and the diametrically opposed Labour/Tory positions on tuition fees.

B) The Indian who moved here ten years ago, has been specifically helped by the local Labour MP with their immigration paperwork and is worried about service cuts - but might not vote Labour because of their position on Kashmir because India has a right to annex Kashmir to fight terrorism don't you know!

Though writing it out helped make up my mind, it's B by a mile as.A is merely.uninformed while B is actively supporting human rights abuses.

it's actually the vox pops they had on PM from Chichester who all agreed that social housing was necessary but it couldn't be built anywhere around here because of :byodame: the traffic!!

worst of all was the woman who worked for a loving homeless charity and was talking about how the Tories haven't met their targets for social housing but was going to vote "with regret"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chuka Umana posted:

real question: why do people act as if there are a ton of immigrants even though Britain is almost 90% white?

while I was getting my hair cut today one of the other barbers was talking about the Vietnamese people who died in the lorry before segueing quickly into "they should fix up their own country instead of coming here" and "we can't take any more people"

I did consider asking her if in that case she was in favour of banning children but I didn't want to cause a scene while someone was trying their hardest to make me look vaguely presentable

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sanford posted:

Charles enjoying his new towel-coat for when he comes in wet and cold

this is the loosest use of the word "enjoying" I've ever seen

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Octolady posted:

Family members who aren’t normally political have been messaging me lately to complain about the lack of balance on tv in general when it comes to Corbyn, apparently Gogglebox and Graham Norton were taking shots at him and Swinson but after Boris’ terrible week nout was mentioned. I figured during election time this would be less common, but I guess comedy shows aren’t subject to the same rules?

It’s poo poo but it also feels good that people who don’t care are starting to notice!

my parents were watching HIGNFY last night and literally the first joke was "Jeremy Corbyn's Brexit plan is complicated lol" after which I gave up in disgust (also Helen Lewis was on who's a massive terf I believe? unless I'm messing up my Helens)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
did anyone post today's Mail front page? because :laffo:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1192929768230051853

they are shook as gently caress

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

what do you call a u-turn on a u-turn? a roundabout? a chicane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

RockyB posted:

Then the crack as they shatter the tooth and the scent of burning flesh as they cauterise.

lol try having your eyes lasered, it smells like burning hair