Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Is this a real court case?

It was, but was dismissed because it didn't state an applicable violation. (The woman had filled her own lawsuit in California alleging a civil rights violation)
Her lawsuit was refiled later that year (2016) in New York by an attorney, but the Jew bastard part was not included in that lawsuit. The anonymous woman dropped the new lawsuit in October 2016.

Here's a Vox article on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hail SS-18 Satan! May his passage cleanse the Earth.

Related to the recent The Day After/Threads discussion: From the same time, there was a Soviet animated short of Ray Bradbury's "There Will Come Soft Rains" but it doesn't have quite the same punch as the other mid-80s nuclear apocalypse movies.
The Ray Bradbury short story is itself based on a poem by Sara Teasdale:

quote:

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows calling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum-trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

The last two stanzas have a very "Hail SS-18 Satan! May his passage cleanse the Earth" vibe to them, which is remarkable for a work written a generation before nuclear weapons.

Doc Hawkins posted:

didn't know about that one, but i did know about hachikō
Also Greyfriars Bobby:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That $3 is about what they cost to make.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i get that its fundraising but jfc bernie is using it correctly

its a weird sentiment i know but why the hell would you not be shoving signs everywhere and anywhere

why gate that poo poo to try and scrape up more fundraising

screw it blanket the town and show drivers what their neighbors think

sorry thats my old man talking from beyond the grave. he didnt make it to the Trump presidency, he loved local politics and bullshitting with everyone about anything. he was head of the local democrats and could talk the paint off a barn.

id get emails from him when i was in iraq where he'd be grumbling about local republicans trying some bullshit on budget crap. every election night i'd be at the democrat headquarters. Polls closed at 8:00, a rep from each party would drive a copy of the results to their headquarters by 8:15 and we'd talley up all the machines on a chalkboard. high fives and drinks or a stampede outside for anger smoking cigarette soon followed

idk its weird but yeah $3 a sign says a loving lot

I expect it's the difference between local and national races. Local stuff, signs are more important to getting your name out there than ads or mailers. For national stuff, I expect the word is gotten out by ads and news, and signs are more for voters to show their support.

Local races, you want as many people as possible people to have signs to get your name out, so it's an expense (and a good one) National races, your name's already out there and I guess the idea is that people will pay to show their support to support other parts of the campaign. Sort of like free baseball tickets to get people into the park, but fans will pay for shirts and ballcaps.
Still, the idea of charging for signs is weird.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm like 6-8 years behind the curve when it comes to music, since that's the amount of time for all the fad type stuff to filter out and only the really memorable or good music is still floating around in the public consciousness.

However, that's the first Billie Eilish song I've ever heard and it sounds like something from a bad trip that would make you want to slit your wrists. Why has it been seen 620 million times :psyduck:

At first I thought Andy was just fumbling the pronunciation of Billy Idol.

Which is figuratively and literally Gen X.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

Someone help me, my brain can't keep up with all this. Exactly who is loving over who at this point. In my head, with every node as a person in the GOP, the gently caress you graph looks something like this:

Barr's interest is dictatorship. If Trump wants to do stuff that helps Barr move the country in that direction, Barr will back him. If Trump wants to do stuff that will serve only himself, Barr won't back him.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

How is “when it comes to national security if the president does it then it’s not illegal” not peak dictatorship?

I think the last thing Barr wants to be seen as is Trump's toady, and “when it comes to national security if the president does it then it’s not illegal” has been hammered home pretty drat hard over the last 18 years. All that's left is this clearly personal illegality. The Ukraine stuff is more Trump's personal crimes than anything national security related.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I can’t wait to jack off across the Med.

The sun never sets on the Spankish Empire.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

In a thread where Jimmy Carter can be reviled for failing to nationalize ice cream parlors and for refusing to apparate a mansion for every person in the country, 'problematic' can be a bit problematic.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

It's not compressible to a twitter headline, but here is a non-crappy Rundown of today's oral arguments in the DACA cases

The nitty gritty:
Anti-DACA: 1) It's a political question so it's not reviewable, and 2) even if the Administration didn't dot every 'i' and cross every 't' this time, the Administration could end DACA tomorrow it they wanted to and it would be unreviewable, so why are we even here?
Pro-DACA: 1) It's not a political question, and 2) A :decorum: argument - the Administration can't do what it's allowed to do if it doesn't do it in the proper manner.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Chichevache posted:

It's 2019: everyone is a nazi.
And three guys with a flag and a bible are a storm.

Oliver Cromwell was a popularizer of the the word storm to describe a military action. E.g., that's how he described his completing the Siege of Drogheda.

From a modern description of the end of the Seige of Drogheda (also using the word storm)

quote:

Cromwell ordered the Parliamentary troops to storm the town and more than 6,000 men washed through the south walls, slaughtering all resistance, while a cavalry force lay in wait to the north to prevent any escape. Catholic priests and friars were killed as combatants and a group who barricaded themselves in the steeple of St. Peter’s Church were burnt alive when Cromwell’s troops set fire to the Church. Around 2,000 died in the massacre, including a number who surrendered before the onslaught, as well as 150 Parliamentarians.
https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/oliver-cromwells-massacre-of-drogheda-1649

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

unconfirmed fact

Is that what used to be called a 'suspicion'?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

A South American government is overthrown by the military, whose leaders were trained by the FBI and at the SOTA, shortly after their duly elected president decided to socialize their mineral rights. If the CIA isn't involved, then some people at Langley are getting fired.

That's a good suspicion.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress is a failed attempt at visiting a strip club

Arriving after they close.

I really need to up my continuing legal education game.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vasudus posted:

I *think* he still has his retirement nixed, because like sheriff Joe he's still a convicted felon. But I can't recall where he was in the judicial process, and can't recall if the UCMJ allows pardons like this normally.
Gallagher never had his retirement nixed.
Retirement pay depends on characterization of discharge. Gallagher wasn't discharged as part of his sentence. Reduction in rank was his only punishment. Felony convictions have no impact on retirement pay, except in limited circumstances involving disloyalty to the nation - here's the list.
As part of the Federal government, presidential pardons cover the military.
Even if Gallagher had been convicted under a statute that took away his retirement, a pardon restores retirement pay lost under that statute.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

colachute posted:

Ok so I’m not the most well versed in US History so I’m probably stating the most obvious thing here and outing myself as a complete idiot, or maybe him saying that broke my brain...

But isn’t that a direct contradiction of one of the very reason the US wanted independence?

There's a bit of bait and switch going on. A unitary executive within the executive is a good thing and is well established and not controversial. Stated another way, there should not be externally enforced checks and balances within the executive branch.

What Barr is trying to do is to port the idea of the unitary executive outside the executive branch and have the unitary executive control/overpower the other two branches of government, which is absolutely not established and is very controversial. Checks and balances between the three branches of government is one of those foundational to the US idea of government things.

Barr must feel that the country has reached a tipping point of conservative power that it can't return from, to now come out so fully and unabashedly for making the legislature and judiciary subservient to the executive.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't know, isn't the independence of the Department of Justice supposed to be a check and balance within the executive branch that everyone agrees on?

It's one of those decorum/tradition/adult in the room things.
Those are internal controls/ internal checks and balances that the executive has always placed on itself.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Everyone really needs to watch the Netflix documentary called To Be Of Service. It's about service dogs and how much they help vets with PTSD and TBI. It's probably going to be very triggering (talk of suicide attempts and war atrocities) for some people here so fair warning. But I found it to be really interesting and I think it'd be really helpful for those of you with family members that don't quite understand PTSD. Warning: kind of decent, kind of cringeworthy original Bon Jovi song at the end.

They also brought up the term "moral injury" in the documentary. One guy said that "it's part of the reason why you feel so much self-loathing and contempt for yourself that it physically hurts." Another continues "when we're not tiven genuinely moral and just and utterly necessary missions and causes and use violence for any other purpose, we will feel shame and guilt from behaving immorally."

Another vet continued: "Moral injury is when there's a disconnect between what you believe and what you hold sacred, and what you are asked to do."

From Wikipedia: "Moral injury refers to an injury to an individual's moral conscience and values resulting from an act of perceived moral transgression, which produces profound emotional guilt and shame, and in some cases also a sense of betrayal, anger and profound "moral disorientation"."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_injury

It seems like now there's a phrase for the feeling the guys have about your service.

Zeris had a thread on moral injury a while back.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Dwanyelle posted:

If they get to spout off their hatred towards inherent, inborn groups (aka bigotry) I'll spout off my hatred towards an individual for being a bigoted gently caress.

It's not "dont like". Its "hate".

That cloud you're shouting at is 4 1/2 years old.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Assign him to the Navy Det at the US Disciplinary Barracks, Ft. Leavenworth.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That Works posted:

I cut off my entire maga family side in 2016. They are all super evangelicals and live in shity parts of Oklahoma so I don't miss anything about going back to visit. I have made it a habit though to send passive aggressive Christmas gifts. In the past years I've sent a framed Trump photo with the grab them by the pussy quote and last year I sent them a golden calf. I'm kind of out of ideas for this year, anyone got a good troll gift idea?

A copy of the Jefferson Bible

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That Works posted:

I'm kind of out of ideas for this year, anyone got a good troll gift idea?

One of these quotes, done up nice in a frame suitable for hanging:

Only when family upbringing and school education have placed in the individual a knowledge of the cultural, economic and, above all, political greatness of his own country — then, and only then, will it be possible for him to feel proud of being a citizen of such a country.

For the politician the religious doctrines and institutions of his people must always remain inviolable; or else he has no right to be in politics.

The world would be inconceivable without the practical existence of religious belief. The people of a nation are not philosophers. For the people, faith is absolutely the only basis of a moral outlook on life.

It may be that today gold has become the exclusive ruler of life, but the time will come when man will again bow down before a higher god.

The man who loves his people, in particular, has the sacred duty of making people stop just talking of God's will, and to actually do God's will, and not let God's Word be desecrated. For God's will gave men their form, their essence and their abilities. Anyone who destroys His work is declaring war on the Lord's creation, His divine will.

'Almighty God, bless our arms when the time comes; be just as thou hast always been; judge now whether we be deserving of freedom; Lord, bless our battle!'

They're quotes from Mein Kampf.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Wait, who’s dead- Grover or Goatse? Both would seem to be in their mid-50s by now, right?

Internet legend says goatse guy died from trying to put a volleyball in his rear end in 2013.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Civic service is important to me but the way you do it less so. I don’t think any less of a teacher than I do a sailor.

Guys picking up poop in public parks? They need a parade.
This. 1000 times this.

Iain posted:

I've found that anyone who joined to "serve their country" or because "some planes flew into some towers" (actual quote) is usually a huge douche.
Maybe it's a post 9/11 thing. Maybe it's just you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

hannibal posted:

Yeah, I don't see why he'd want to stay in when he can hit the conference/book circuit after getting out. All this trident BS is just icing on the cake.

I guess every PAO in the DoD is having an aneurysm over his Fox News appearance though.

Except the PAO who's going to be the new SecNav, presumably.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

derp.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Current events adjacent:
Warner Brothers animators showing support for striking Disney animators during the Disney animators 1941 strike.
https://i.imgur.com/jV7ILAq.mp4

The effigy was of Disney's attorney.
https://i.imgur.com/CT0xNF4.mp4

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

okay so one of the people who grabbed the knife is on video ditching a huge bag of alleged cocaine after the srabbing, another guy who tackled the terrorist is a convicted murderer on parole, one person sprayed him with a fire extinguisher and the final guy stabbed the terrorist with a fuckin narwhal tusk

I don't know whether the correct response is 'Bingo!' or 'The Aristocrats!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ded posted:

Right.

Would the journal Nature be more acceptable to you?