Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a real head-scratcher here. I have a motherboard with only USB available, but I want to use this Wifi 6E card:

https://www.amazon.com/AX210-Expands-Bluetooth-Tri-Band-Windows10/dp/B08MJLPZPL/

Is there any adapter or set of adapters that could turn this M.2 "A+E Key" card into USB? As I understand it the A+E is used to carry both PCI lanes (for the Wifi) and USB (for the bluetooth and maybe power?). If it simplifies things, I can live without the Bluetooth functionality. I just wanna get that 6ghz wifi and that card is currently the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

whats the top dog non-conductive thermal paste for general use that isnt 3x more expensive for a tenth of a percent lower temp? Something I can leave on a pc for 3 years without too much fear of severe degradation

Last time I bought gelid was the hot(cold) stuff and I just used my last tube.

Cryonaut

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU

Wins in many many benchmarks and it's :10bux:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

$10 for 1 gram, im gonna go with the 11 gram tube for $30

You can get 7.8 grams for $14.28, better deal and OutletPC is a seller I can vouch for:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Aeronaut-Performance-Grease/dp/B00ZJS78VW

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

i build about 3 PCs a year, its not going to spoil in the tube is it?

Get the 7.8 gram tube I linked, that'll be good for about 10-ish applications so it'll last you the three years. I see on the smaller tube some 2019 reviews were accusing it of being a counterfeit version. But I've bought a lot of stuff for work from that "Outlet PC" store and they've always sent me the real deal. And again, it's more for the money than the 11 gram tube.

spunkshui posted:

Also: dont use liquid metal.

If you must become obsessive compulsive about cooling then just go custom water.

Its probably safer lol.

Not only is the liquid metal stuff messy and overkill and difficult to use but it will also disintegrate any aluminum you get it on (it will seep into an aluminum block and crumble the metal into powder). It is only meant copper and direct die application.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

im super close to the amazon warehouse so it already arrived. Also isnt the 7.8 gram one aeronaut instead of kryo?

Oh yeah you're right, whups. Never even heard of the aeronaut before. Well enjoy the 11 grams then, it's good stuff!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

This may be a bit of a silly question, but, well, no bad questions.

If I buy my SSD now and install Windows on it using a different machine, then transplant it into the new build when all the parts come in, would Windows have any issue? Legit license and all, I just remember a few years back that if the configuration changed between the original installation and what you currently have, you'd run into issues

Windows activation tends to follow the motherboard (though it most recent build from a week ago my SSD kept activation with 100% new hardware... including the SSD being cloned to a new one). You can call up Microsoft and explain the situation through and they'll generate you a new key if you nag them enough. Or just leave ouut unactivated until you get the final hardware.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 30, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have a motherboard with four USB 3.0 ports, no further headers or expandabiltity nor any USB 2.0

As in the past with other motherboards, when I plug a Wifi adapter and a mouse receiver into adjacent ports, or an SSD and Wifi etc, the operation of one will interfere with the wireless reception of another.

Is there some kind of USB hub that actually properly isolates each device from interference from others? It seems like using a powered hub doesn't fix things; it seems like it's more a bandwidth issue than one device pulling too many milliamps.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What board do you have?

If you want USB 2.0 ports you could get a PCI card. You could also get a PCI wifi/Bluetooth card, which is what I'd probably do in that situation. PCI wifi should be more reliable that USB.

I can't do any of those things lol:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications

I can't complain too much because I have the thing going with a 5800x, 3080, and 64gb of ram. But the USB is the Achilles' heel, and the lack of any way to add a wifi card besides just taking up a USB slot for an adapter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

Ah, yeah i am pretty sure that's microcenter taking the L there and not intel. intel will never ever discount its just like against their corp DNA

Intel put out the Anniversary Edition Pentium which was $50 at Microcenter and possibly the best value I've seen on a CPU in my entire life, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that show up again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CloFan posted:

What's the best VR platform these days? I always said I'd wait until gen2 and I guess we're there and maybe almost past it

e: ah, found the thread in Games

e2: oh no

Yeah the Quest 2 as stated is the best value (caveat emptor: you are the product)

The Quest 2 is also really good at streaming PC games to it wirelessly with Virtual Desktop. My friend got one and he has older wifi and he was floored at how low-latency Half-Life Alyx was. 20 or 30-series cards have lower latency streaming tech than 10-series, and the Quest 2 will warp the stream on the headset side when you move your head quickly, to make the perceived latency even lower.

If money is no object, the Index is very polished and comfortable, but you have wires and need to set up tracking cameras (the tracking cameras are mega-accurate though)

If money and jankiness are no object and you want the absolute best specs regardless of how hosed up the hardware/software is, you can go my route and pair the Steam trackers and controllers with the Pimax 5K or 8KX. If you do that, make absolutely sure you get the headset from Amazon so you can return it without hassle. I got the OLED 5K and I love the ultrawide FOV so much that I can't go back to other headsets, but when I tried the 8KX it was the highest resolution headset ever, yet the focal distance was super weird (felt like it was focused to one foot instead of one meter) and it was making me sick so back it went to Bezos.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyFit posted:

LG makes G-Sync compatible OLED TVs. My 55" is loving amazing.

It's so annoying that it's been like a decade since OLEDs have been available and they stop at 15.6 inches then resume at 42. What I had to do was buy a 15.6 covertible 4K OLED laptop and stream my main PC to it, since that's the only way I'll ever get PC games on OLED of a reasonable size.

It did work out really well though I think a 17-inch 4K would be just about perfect.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

So it’s basically a reasonably price considering the market price for the components.

If I bought similar components and then purchased a scalped eBay 3080FE for $2300 and a 5600x (because the 5900x confers less than 1% difference in games) then I could still slap everything together for around $1000 less.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyFit posted:

90 fans on the bottom. How did they fit that many into such a small area?

I know it says 90mm fan but you could probably fit 90 of those Raspberry Pi fans.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Powercolor box art getting even weirder than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

doomrider7 posted:

Resolution is janky on top of price being upside-down, but it was $1637 Open-Box. Thoughts?

It will have either a 15 day or 1 month return, you should buy that immediately and sort out whether it was a good value later.