Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It still irritates that the phone call can't just be "harmless" or innocuous" or "above board"...nope. It has to be perfect. The best phone call

Many people are saying it's the best phone call they've ever heard. Just perfect.

Also really tired of "read the transcript".

IT's not a transcript, we already did read it and that's why you are impeached.

Yesterday I heard Shciff refusing to call Dershowitz a liar for saying Republicans were shut out and not allowed in the closed door hearings (they were). gently caress it. Just say "he's lying and he knows this is not true but he's saying it anyway. The question is why?"

Also heard several people playing recordings of house testimony and it got me wondering if they could read allowed from some of the newer tweets and poo poo or is that limited to the house hearings?

A lot of people think Bolton can't be trusted to not just fold and, if called, will just say "yep, perfect phone call" but I get the feeling he really loving hates Trump and would actually give him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

eke out posted:

Schiff's good at this, putting him in charge was smart.

It's also very funny to me that trump's go-to for him is "pencil neck" because.. like.. it seems like Schiff is a reasonably tall and not particularly skinny dude?

I thought it was "shifty"?

That's another thing I hat about our toddler president: the loving dumb rear end nicknames. I mean, I hate everything about him for the most part but the childishness combined with the schoolyard boasting about he has the best, biggest most perfect everything ever and his uncle totally works at Nintendo eats at me more than some things.

Because our president is a god damned child. A criminal child with a lot of power. Just seeing him put the limits of our checks and balances to the test is disheartening and, again, reminds me of a little kid on a playground; breaking rules of hide and seek or kick the can and then going "I can too do that. I totally called it. What are you gonna do about, SmallerBoat?"

And then none of the teachers or the principals does poo poo.

EDIT: Actually, knowing Trump, it'd be "BOOGER Boat". Mods, change my name

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Framboise posted:

What's worse is that they don't even need to appeal to anyone anyway. Republicans already made their decision long before the trial so they're trying to get a fast acquittal so Donny gets to jerk off all over the microphone like the big big boy he is at the state of the union address and can cry over how unfair the Democrats have been and how America decided he was right and how he plans to maintain his obvious corruption for 4 more years-- maybe even more corrupt and more obvious because clearly, America decided that it approves.

It's this all the way down. I mean DOWN.

Trump's going to come out of this saying "see? They tried everything and I am still MAGAing. Witch Hunt! MAGA!"

I'm glad he was impeached and I know he's a criminal who deserves to rot but I'm worried about people who are disengaged but who still vote will be all "welp, he was found innocent so whatever". An alarming percentage of the voting populace don't stay informed, often due to being overworked and unable, and republicans count on it by granting them the "freedom " to work 60 hour weeks across two jobs and "cutting their taxes"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

eke out posted:

As a reminder, when the White House finishes, the next step is 16 hours (two days) of alternating questions submitted by both sides.

Basically, both sides submit questions (to either side) and Roberts will read one dem, one republican, and repeat, for two days.

Questions directed at and answered by whom?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ummel posted:

Agreed. I'm from Florida and he's still massively popular, even in urban areas. Lots of FYGM poo poo down here, plus the Cuban demographic, the poor racist white demo, no unions at all, the olds that flood here every winter from hellholes like Ohio, weird libertarians, gun nuts, decades of state control by Republicans, and a completely useless democratic machine (Alex Sink? Really? The Broward County Election Office).

I live in NE FL (CHUD Country) and the bolded part is the weirdest thing to me. There are way more registered democrats in the state but the party itself might as well not even exist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

If the American people ever do (re?)assert control over their own government, the crucially important question will be whether or not they realize that it is corporations who have murdered every shred of democracy that previously existed.

This is one of the most succinct things I've read in some time that really sums up our situation,

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

I dunno, I'm still feeling that Bolton would just be like "yep everything was on the up and up, I made up that stuff to sell books"

I hear you. Except I don't think Bolton likes Trump. Like at all.

Xaiter posted:

WTF is this defense? :confused:

I'm gonna go with "contradictions" and "outright lies". I counted at least 4 or 5 straight up falsehoods for the little time I could stomach listening to it.

I love how W Bush sucked so hard and so loudly that even Republicans realized it and the lesson they took from it was that they weren't sucking hard enough. I mean, in my lifetime, I've gotten Watergate, the S&L crisis, Iran Contra, 9/11, two Iraq Wars and now this poo poo. And that's just the big stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Think of how many politicians kids get a leg up on their poo poo because of who mommy or daddy is. No one wants that gravy train hosed with and calling Hunter highlights that issue more than anything else. There will be some pissed politicians if a law about your children getting patronage or what constitutes patronage comes out of this.

Yeah, team Trump going on and on about nepotism and calling it a crime is pretty rich.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SubG posted:

Motherfucker literally just argued that you can't impeach the President because the economy is good.

And it's really not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ManBoyChef posted:

Do you think Trump will bring up the "impeachment hoax" at the SOTU tonight? Do you think he will claim total exoneration?

Of course he will.

Cross posting from the USPOL but I wish somebody would invite Bolton and Parnas as their guests to SOTU.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

Wow this impeachment is really putting the squeeze on Trump folks.

But please continue to complain whenever someone wants to talk about democratic party incompetence and how it relates to the impeachment and its electoral effects.

538 hasn't moved

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

releasing the entire call log was certainly an own goal there. made it utterly impossible to maintain any argument about mischaracterizing the call and the only defense left was "actually corruption is cool and good, as long as its by republicans"

But I heard it was perfect?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That speech today was...uh...

That sure was something. I got caught listening to what little I could stomach and I just...ugh.

Who LIKES this poo poo? I swear to god I tried. I REALLY tried. I was stuck between commercials on a few radio stations and said "OK. Let's listen to this. then" 40% of this country hears that and goes "yep, this is what a REAL president sounds like, god dammit!" and all I heard was meandering gibberish. Even by Trump standards this thing made no sense.

I honestly feel like I have no place in this society and don't know where to start with this. Living in NE Florida isn't helping me any since I'm largely in CHUD country but loving my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kale posted:

We fully live in the social media information era at this point. Certain kinds of people (mainly boomers in all honesty, but also just heavy users in general) hear random crazy poo poo enough on Twitter or Facebook about how amazing a job Trump is doing and how terrible his political opponents are and they just kind of believe it without confirming it for themselves and go on bleating about it in every day life to sound like they are on the up and up. Who is to tell them otherwise most of the time?

Well, you can certainly try but I've largely given up. They truly live in their own reality and I'm not only tired of wasting my loving time on them but also sick of finding myself in a bad mood over it.