Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Really looking forward to watching McTurtle ratfuck this process. Dude gives not the slightest gently caress about laws, decorum, the constitution...nothing. So I'm horrified and morbidly curious about how he's going to weaponize this and dick over the country. He's astonished me multiple times in my life how little he cares about anything that isn't raw power, so I'm at a loss for what devious poo poo he's gonna pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even in the house, Trump's narcissism detonated the good play that long time GOP operatives were very clearly angling for. They absolutely wanted to go with, "Wrong, not impeachable, radical leftist Democrats over reaching and dividing the nation why don't we come together and move forward?"

Piss Baby would have loving none of that. Anyone that didn't gratuitously slob his knob while chanting "Perfect phone call, read the transcript, witch hunt!" was branded a heretic and cast into the wilderness via tweet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well of course, Ukraine has the DNC server and won't give it up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mdemone posted:

That's going to be the majority Senate GOP opinion less than a month from now.

They're following the "Authoritarianism For Dummies" playbook real closely because of the demented cheeto-in-chief, so this is pretty inevitable. Try not to be surprised when all the "radical left extremist Democrats" rhetoric morphs in to calling to jail all political opposition.

*Holds earpiece for a few seconds*

I am told that we now need to, quote, "Lock her up."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh my god this nasally fuckstick is still talking, someone just junk punch Gym Jordan over and over until he stops.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That entire process has been made so routine and standardized that it has it's own name, kompromat. Russian intel is really loving good at it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Djarum posted:

Thing is he was a Democrat until he decided to run for office. He has always been racist though.

I just had a thought. So a former President has Secret Service protection for life after office. With him grifting them currently for protection if a Democrat wins next fall I wonder if they will take it away due to abuse?

And even more interesting question, let’s say he is tried and convicted after office does he still have Secret Service protection in prison?

Former President SS coverage is for national security purposes. Don't want the guy who used to know all that stuff getting kidnapped or something. So assuming the universe is not a kind place and the fat mother fucker doesn't stroke out and die before he's a former president, yes he'd get the protection. He would not be the president though, so any other president could tell him to pound sand up his rear end instead of getting multimillion dollar contracts to his own hotels.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

"sir ex-president trump was kidnapped and he talked immediately. the bad news is he told them everything he knows."
"and the good news?"
"it took two and a half minutes."

Admittedly, yes. Good luck getting national secrets out of the decaying pudding brains he's got left and having them not be based on right wing fever swamps bullshit like "crowd strike Ukraine DNC server"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Shamelessly stealing this link.

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status...pagenumber%3D80

The mask is really, really off with this impeachment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pelosi had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to impeaching after the orange faced fucker stood on live national television and said "Yeah I did the thing, it was a perfect thing, here's the documentation of me doing the thing, and I'd do it again with China because it was perfect!"

I have a really hard time believing she'll do it again.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

lol 64% of republicans are credulous morons. they absolutely believe they would exonerate trump if only the democrats would let them.

And in their minds it would, so looked at from a certain way they're kinda right. Not factually right, mind you, but...well...if everyone responsible for imposing punishment says they won't punish you then when you say you're not guilty........

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Won't be reading it again? Dude just cannot help but lie about everything and anything at all times even in implication.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

It kind of is in that Democrats want it to happen because they think it will gently caress over Trump, while the hardcore CHUD Trump base also wants it because they're absolutely certain Hair Furor will be absolutely vindicated and the deep state will finally lock them all up. So...yes...kinda. Lots of support, different reasons.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

if 55% of voting americans actually want trump kicked out of office, then republicans would be making GBS threads their pants. We'd be talking about a landslide in the electoral college and dem majority in the senate in 2021. I think there's enough of em assuming that polling is trending higher than reality and that they can somehow weather the storm and change the narrative in the following year.

Or they see it as a challenge, triple down on voter suppression, gerrymandering, seizure of power from incoming democrats so on and so on, generally abandoning representational democracy in favor of hyper partisan minority rule while stacking the courts as an untouchable veto in their favor on all the arguments brought against them to stop this.

I know which one I'm betting on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't see there being enough public support for another impeachment after this one is handed over to the Senate and all the Republicans wipe their asses with it.

Republicans will, rather predictably, vomit bullshit out of their word holes about "dividing the country" and "undoing 2016" and whatever else their propaganda machine comes up with. Every one not in the MAGA cult will either be dumb and malleable enough to still give the both-sides fascist propaganda a chance to muddy the waters or see it for what it is and realise that party will never allow Hair Furor to come to harm. Just no point in doing it a second time. The system is broken, so now we need to rely on the system to vote him out of office.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

1glitch0 posted:

This seems really stupid. So they'll do a joke acquittal without even getting the articles of impeachment? That's going to look like a joke to most people.

Does it look like a joke to the narcissist in chief and his followers that make up the radical minority of the population? That's all that matters. There is no intent to reach out to anyone else on this. Suck the ego of the orange god and whip his cult into a frenzy. That's it. That's the plan. That's where it starts and ends.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My immediate thought is "Republican majority in the Senate, Democratic majority in the house." Am I somehow wrong in thinking he wants to testify in the Senate so he can vomit bullshit Republican talking points while covering his own rear end from people who would hold him accountable for lies?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mitztronic posted:

Do you mean something like assassinating a foreign governments military commander and falsifying justification to get re-elected? (Yes not after acquittal but still)

Look at the motivation of the Republican party. Someone in a foreign nation who was not lighter than a paper bag getting killed is not going to suddenly cause problems on the domestic front for a Republican. Half those loving bigots would have a party if he no-poo poo did use a nuclear weapon on Iran.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm genuinely unsure whether Roberts is motivated primarily by individual power seeking. Not saying it's not there, just don't know whether it's in the driver's seat or the back seat yelling instructions. Never missing a chance to rule against representational democracy in favor of stacking the deck for minority authoritarian regimes doesn't feel like personal power seeking behavior.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Practically speaking, would anyone pro-Republican need to worry about perjury at all? Republicans have a majority so how would perjury charges be enforced against anyone on their team? That majority isn't going to vote to enforce consequences on their own team, their rabid voting base would tear them apart the instant Strong Daddy twitter-shits about not being loyal.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

Trump—>McConnell—>Nunes—>Jordan—>Collins—>McCarthy

I strongly argue with myself whether I hope Trump or McConnel gets a catastrophically debilitating stroke first. That turtle-faced poo poo head is the smart kind of evil that is rat-loving the nation for decades to come and enjoys every single minute of it because he knows precisely what he is doing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I hope to hear, "Oh yeah the Senate should have this guy as a witness too don't you think?" Really tie this one around McConnel's neck. Probably be totally ignored but it's about all that can be done at this point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

refleks posted:

There's two issues: One is that its seeding ground to R that something nefarious was going on with Hunter. Second is that Diamond Joe Biden is so incredibly old and has a smush brain like Trump that he will unwittingly gently caress up testifying.

Sure in a fair and just world it wouldn't go down this way but welp, we live in the post escalator Hellfucker 2016 Earth timeline. If the end result is that Trump straps on a political suicide vest, charges straight at Biden, and detonates the establishment Democratic apparatus choice clearing the way for a progressive candidate to actually start fixing poo poo I'm gonna call that a messy win and go with it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hair Furor's narcissistic ego is incompatible with the strategy of "His actions were inappropriate, but do not rise to the level of impeachable" which is what every single politically savvy person would be doing. I'm certain that, behind closed doors, McConnel has been absolutely desperate to go that route. It would be a super easy out, deflating everything and feeding the propaganda machine the ready made line of "unreasonable do-nothing obstructionist Democrats."

Instead we get this pack of clowns that will scream right-wing fever swamp conspiracy theories all day and all night to soothe Bigly Strong Daddy's pathological need to be 'winning'.

gently caress you McConnel you deserve every minute of this. Seeing the "greatest deliberative body" dragged through the mud and turned in to a three ring circus poo poo-show is not even a percent of a percent of the suffering you deserve.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dude's a broken brained, dementia and/or syphilis riddled narcissist. There's every chance he truly does not have the capacity to understand the actions of other people at this point. If that led to him stepping down then whatever he could just fade away and die quietly. Instead he's determined to stay in office and hurt everyone he doesn't like or that his base wants him to performatively hurt for their gratification, so gently caress him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think it was Schiff, I was half-listening on the way home from work, but at one point someone said something that I'm gonna paraphrase as, "Do you think Trump will stop? Do you really think this man is capable of stopping this behavior? When it's your next election, how do you know he won't do this to you?"

That was some mighty uncomfortable silence.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

IDK why the Republicans don't want to call the witnesses... This stuff is all going to come out and they are going to acquit him no matter what the witnesses say. The only thing calling witnesses does is deprive the D's of the talking point that they refused to call witnesses.

Calling for it is betraying Hair Furor. That makes you one of the bad people outside of the cult and therefore a target. They've totally yoked themselves to the Anger Mango because the rabid base will crucify them if they do anything except sing his praises constantly.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

we have at least a couple who are signalling they want witnesses. we will probably know more during the dinner break at 6.

edit.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1221917573639557120

Good. Rage yourself into a stroke you turtle-faced rat-fucker of democracy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hair Furor is getting the Senate circus he so desperately craved. Hope every Republican in office loving chokes on it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Nah, Barr is looking to make Republican presidents king and himself their vizier. He's pretty explicit in his extreme radical interpretation of unitary executive powers, and it's just a really good inference that he would only apply that to Republicans since that's how authoritarian-crossing-into-fascist governments work.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

eke out posted:

this seems fine. there's probably equal chances in that period that either (1) the news peters out naturally or (2) everything gets far more insane than it is right now for some reason

The current resident of the Oval Office is....let's say not very well balanced mentally? He's absolutely going to poo poo his britches with TOTAL WITCHUNT EXONERATION FBI SPIED ON ME PROOF Q IS RIGHT and similar brain worms. Like, the Ukraine call was one loving day after the Mueller report. After turning the Senate of the United States into a poo poo show dedicated to feeding his ego and conspiracy theories, everything's just gonna go bonkers when he thinks he's won.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The trick is his solid base of sycophantic cultists weren't actually listening to his brainworm oral diarrhea. They'll let right wing media pre-digest that diarrhea for them then let Fox hork it into their mouths baby bird style once it's cleaned up and he no longer sounds like the syphilitic dementia patient he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kale posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of this only Republicans are people worth ever caring about or mentioning and everyone else are all horrible monsters that deserve nothing but scorn and to be taught a lesson perspective coming out of the American government in increasing amounts. Like it's kind of not that funny really.

It's the evolution of authoritarian regimes that chew out the organs of democratic societies and wear the hide like a cloak. That rhetoric will just keep getting louder and louder. There will be more and more "investigations" of political opposition, they'll keep being dangerous "traitors" and so on. It's a very, very well worn path in the death of representational democracies. Eventually there will be a critical mass of toadies and yes-men installed in the courts and the DoJ, that they can drop that mask of "investigating" and just start arresting anyone who gets in the way.