Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I think it would be worth adding a blurb to the very good first post about the Bidens / Burisma explaining the underlying conspiracy theory and why it is bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Oughta get CLE credit for this seminar on how not to call rebuttal witnesses.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I'm kinda wondering if Volker developed a sudden eagerness to testify again, and Nunes or Jordan outright didn't bother to ask the the obvious question.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
awww yeah this is the good poo poo
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1196930888787005441

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
just wait till you see the second page
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1197219352149258240

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Party Plane Jones posted:

Quote this post if you want the ‘I want nothing’ Gang Tag whenever it gets uploaded.

For myself so I can just blindly search through pages and find people quoting these lines: Mohican

https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/status/727626922239397889

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

because they want to get all the evidence in the public record to lay out the strongest possible public case for impeachment

Also, Republicans and their witnesses keep helping with that, and we shouldn't spurn such an appeal to the spirit of bipartisanship in these polarized times.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Companion Cube posted:

hello I hear you can get a snazzy I WANT NOTHING gang tag by asking in this thread to commemorate the historic event of the President of the United States being a big wet-brained pissbaby who wants nothing

Deadline's passed, other opportunities may emerge.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

cr0y posted:

Law <space> suit

He's a lawyer.

A.

Lawyer.

Y’know, you got your law suit, your interview suit, your white collar criming suit, your international criming suit...

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Footnote: Turley is not, specifically, a movement conservative rear end in a top hat. He's a law prof with a health condition that requires him to be on camera whenever possible.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Rip Testes posted:

It is going to suck rear end when RBG passes away and this guy gets the seat.

Turley's not a movement conservative. He's a media whore. Zero chance he makes FedSoc short lists for anything important.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If anyone's feeling bored, here is a law review article written by one Prof. Turley regarding the nature of impeachment proceedings.

quote:

The records from the Constitutional Convention and state ratification debates are simply too sparse and varied to sustain any clear interpretation of the adoption of the English standard. Three conclusions about this standard, however, appear well established and generally accepted. First, the impeachment standard was clearly intended to extend beyond criminal acts to include some noncriminal acts....

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

TulliusCicero posted:

Like even as an academic historian I find "the Founders' Intent" argument stupid as gently caress. The French don't go "well what would Louis XIV do?!", nor do the British ask what Elizabeth the Great's opinion would be on foreign policy, because it's loving irrelevant to modern times and problems

But it goes back to the "Great Man History" that the loving GOP and Boomers worship at the altar of

A law prof named Jonathan Turley wrote about that point a few years ago:

Turley posted:

All mythologies, constitutional or literary, have an underlying purpose or theme. Presented with complex facts or realities, mythology offers a consistent account to an audience eager for clarity. At a time of national crisis, the desire for a clear basis of resolution is almost overwhelming. In such times, we often look to the Framers to compel a course of action. This desire for a dead-hand control over contemporary problems is understandable but not always supportable. Ironically, the only clear intent of the Framers on some questions was to leave the resolution of conflicts to each generation. The Framers often were more concerned with how we would conclude conflicts than the conclusions themselves. This appears to have been the resolution over the impeachment language. Faced with various views of the basis for impeachment, the Framers focused on where and how impeachment would occur. The evolutionary standard of impeachment, "high crimes and misdemeanors," would necessarily change with society, but the static procedural conditions would remain constant. Thus, society may come to view certain acts of misconduct as impeachable that were not even viewed as objectionable-let alone actionable-in the 1700s.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Link for that last one, if anyone cares: http://scholarship.law.unc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3825&context=nclr

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

eke out posted:

yeah this is a key point: trump's interests aren't aligned with the republican party's, except in the "get acquitted at the end" part

it seems incredibly likely he horribly fucks up their attempts to minimize the harm it does them

I think that discomfort probably has a lot to do with why we're hearing harrumphing about procedural stuff. It's not that McConnell has the votes to laugh off the need for a performance, it's that nobody (other than maybe Roberts) wants to be on the hook for voting to keep the shitshow contained.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
A bellweather:

Kendra Horn has stated she's pro-impeachment. She's the rep who got elected in a Trump+14 district in Oklahoma.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

eke out posted:

from the Van Drew party switch we've learned that Democrat leadership was telling him, flat-out, "we will endorse someone against you in a primary if you do not vote yes"

We did? I missed that.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

eke out posted:

yeah there were pieces saying that he was told directly that by democrats in no uncertain terms.

they included choice anecdotes like Van Drew trying to get DCCC staffers working for him to flip, and them instead immediately snitching on him to the national party lol. he really seems legitimately dumb

Ha! I just read that he'd been successfully wooed by the GOP. I missed all this. Yeah if he was the sort to inspire that kind of personal loyalty from rando staffers, he probably wouldn't need to be quite so worried about a primary challenge.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Midgetskydiver posted:

A coworker straight up admitted this to me recently. He was being lambasted by multiple people, mostly apolitical centrist types, about how big a piece of poo poo Trump is and the chud in question literally threw his hands up and said he didn't care because they got 2 justices out of him. The next day he started to say something to me about AOC and I told him I don't need to talk politics with him anymore since he admitted he doesn't care about anything other than winning. He looked genuinely taken aback but he hasn't said poo poo since then (it's been maybe 3 weeks or so).

These pieces of poo poo are painting themselves into corners rhetorically and socially. It's amazing to see it play out in real time.

I'm thinking we see at least one more scam dating app for conservative men show up before the election's done, and maybe two or three after if Trump loses.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Rosalie_A posted:

High crimes and misdemeanors includes crimes against humanity, just so you know.

Yeah, personally, I’d put stealing children from their parents and leaving them to die of preventable diseases in cages at least on par with a misdemeanor offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Stickman posted:

E: I'm no expert, though - maybe there's a better source?

Not actually joking: contrasting the Turley paper I linked upthread with Turley’s recent testimony isn’t a bad overview of the positions one could take.