Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hate that I might end up getting VR if this is a full sized title and can't be played without it.

This and Beat Sabre... A mere £500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

haldolium posted:

what a sad attempt to sell their VR gear

I'm pretty sure you can plug any PC compatible headset into Steam?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ishikabibble posted:

how much are you being paid to say this

i hope it's a decent amount. i'm proud of you if you're able to make a livable salary off of this

Come on. 'Publisher develops exclusive game to push new hardware' isn't exactly a hot take.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Entorwellian posted:

I’m getting a half life 2 lost coast vibe from this

There's a very good chance it'll be something like this, but I don't think even Valve would've been dumb enough to call it a 'flagship' title unless they could justifiably call it a complete game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've used a VR headset exactly once and the lenses constantly steamed up from my sweaty fat face having to move.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Missionary Positron posted:

That and most of the people who actually know how to make and write single player games left the company a loooooooong time a go.

Except for that studio they just bought who are known for solo narrative experiences. :eng101:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Donnerberg posted:

I can't speak for other posters, but it isn't about talent to me. It's about what's come out of Valve. They help indies with fantastic ideas get their project out under the Valve name, and they hit with sequels that stay close to what came before. A VR Half-Life sequel is to my understanding neither of those two things, so I liken it to Artifact and Condition Zero until we get an indication otherwise.

Half Life 2 doesn't fit that criteria either though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Donnerberg posted:

Was is that different from the first? I haven't played it in ages, and video games might as well have been magic back then, so when you say that, I don't trust my memory.

Yeah I'd say it was pretty different given its massive focus on physics etc.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Polo-Rican posted:

Another big thing that HL1 was praised for was the way it handled loading... the game would pause and load as you walked through hallways and vents, creating the impression that the entire game took place on one enormous map. I don't think any other FPS titles did that previously, or if they did, they didn't do it as well.

As great as that was those loading screens were a huge immersion breaker on 2004 hardware. A game fully pausing to load without any warning or transition screen feels like it's crashed or your PC is about to explode.

The continuous map thing was great though. I'm a sucker for any game that feels like one long road trip.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Donovan Trip posted:

I would've preferred L4DVR or PORTAL VR 1000% but then again I haven't seen it yet and maybe they're making those anyway

If Valve went Orange Box style and released three really solid VR games at once it'd be pretty tempting.

I imagine Portal would just make me throw up though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's the people who think Valve's making a niche HL with a limited install base and appeal as a cash grab who get me.

They could've put out any lovely game with a 3 slapped on the end and sold 10 million units in seconds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The space requirements aren't that bad. You need a minimum area of about 6 ft by 6 ft. I have barely that and have had no problem with room scale stuff. Sure I have to move my coffee table to the side to get it but whatever it takes like 5 seconds

Plus with the Quest, S, or WMR headsets not needing the base stationsi you have a lot for flexibility where that 6 feet is.

The issue for me and probably a lot of others is that my PC is at a desk which is in a fairly inclosed space. Having a 6x6 space would mean I have to drag my PC to a different room every time I want to use it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They did an AMA. Nothing mind blowing but a rare sight from Volvo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/esen9b/were_developers_from_the_halflife_alyx_team_ask/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugh it looks really loving good. I hope I can spring for a new PC and headset at least within the next year.

I'm sure it's less weird in-game but the jump-forward to move mechanic was really disorienting. It just sort of pings you from frame to frame without any transition at all. At least in video it looks like I'd spent a couple of seconds working out where I am every time I do it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Teleporting is also one of those gaming things that's a lot easier to keep up with in person rather than watching a video. I can handle it in game (even if I don't prefer it) but I don't know how anyone is supposed to watch more than a minute or two of it secondhand.

Yeah I think that's it. The only time I've ever played a VR game where I moved with the thumbstick I nearly fell over and threw up after five seconds. So this option will probably be the one for me, it just looks super weird in video.

e: Actually I just watched the third video, which uses a nice little spring forward animation instead and looks a lot smoother.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 3, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thought I'd boot up Black Mesa 1.0 and holy gently caress Gordon Freeman is meant to be 27? I feel like a failure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Do remember that Gordon is a turbo genius. He constructed a butane powered tennis ball cannon at age 6 and his thesis was titled "Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array"

I feel like the space coma he was in between the games must have done something to his brain. By the end of the series all he can do is shoot and befriend garden gnomes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tbf the ninjas in Half Life were never good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MMF Freeway posted:

There's the VR thing but also its been over a decade since episode 2 and half life as a franchise has fallen out of the collective consciousness. To most people HL3 is a funny meme from years ago and they've forgotten what even made HL good in the first place. I am kind of surprised its not getting talked about more here specifically though since this forum is full of old PC grogs.

I'd love to be talking about it non stop but I'm not going to get to play it properly for a very long time, if ever. Like the vast majority of Steam users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

i must compose posted:

If you own a PC there ain't no reason to not buy be besides the lack of inventory. Buying a new you is the same as an Oculus quest

My PC can run most games fine in 2020 but just barely scrapes the requirements of the original Oculus. And even if that wasn't a factor I'd be dropping hundreds to play this one game (and Beat Sabre of course) which just isn't realistic for me right now.

Then there's the fact I'd have to drag my PC across my flat for space every time I want to play it.