Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I tracked down a Series X because I wanted to play Halo and this seemed like the 'best' way to do it. I beat Halo 1 last week and started Halo 2 last night. The original graphics mode has tons of weird glitching and tearing. The plasma rifles have like a missing effect right on the side that kind of flutters all the time. Is this a normal experience and continuation of MCC being buggy as poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finished playing Halo 2 and am working through Halo 3 now. Its been a long time since I played any of the campaigns. Its sort of odd how both Halo 1 and 3 are about the Flood as the real enemy and aren't really that concerned with the Covenant other than an additional obstacle. Halo 2 inverts that by giving so much emphasis on the Covenant inner politics but the main event, the Civil War, just kind of happens suddenly. Chief is still just killing everyone who gets in his way but Johnson very willingly teams up with the Arbiter pretty arbitrarily. I'm curious about what the series would have been if Halo 1's story didn't get cut down or if Halo 2 actually had an ending.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Interesting. That ending would have probably made for a better Halo 2 even if a Halo 3 is less obvious other than resolving Cortana and the Flood. It might have closed off some of the terrible story directions that 343 took the series, which would have only been a positive.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I haven't actually played Halo 5 and I'll get around to inflicting that on myself at some point but I can't get my head around how they decided that was finally time to pick up the idea of making Cortana evil. Halo 3+4 should have firmly put an end to that concept. Every 343 Halo seems to have been a soft reset of the continuity so maybe Infinite, if it ever actually comes out, will just ignore it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not having marines as your buddies in Halo 5 hurts.

Going back through 1-3 made me take every Marine death personally. I tried drat hard to keep them alive and equipped with better guns.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Psion posted:

I dunno, if Halo 5's design doc was just a checklist of items derived from a series of (probably poorly formatted) ranking questions it makes perfect sense. Do they have all the elements of Make A Halo? Yes! Did they put them together in a fashion which is enjoyable well that's not on the checklist buddy

yes this is me applying my same complaint about 4 to 5, what of it.

I really hope Infinite is fun. I think 343 can do it but I really hope a lot of it is ignoring a lot of what they did in 4/5. But then as you say, that is standard for the franchise so it's plausible!

My impression seems to be that Infinite is such an explicit, self conscious throwback to Halo 2+3 that it'll either be okay or super dull.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Arcsquad12 posted:

it's unlikely we're getting a Halo Wars 3.

One time I I had an opportunity to talk to Bonnie Ross around when Halo Wars 1 came out and utterly flopped, though I really liked it. She told me that they would absolutely never do another one. I had a good laugh when Halo Wars 2 was announced.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SUNKOS posted:

The head of Xbox really likes RTS games so I think that was one of those "I don't care if it flops" type of things. I wouldn't rule out a Halo Wars 3 sometime or another type of spin-off such as a Halo game that plays like XCOM. They already did that successfully with Gears Tactics and over recent years Microsoft has been buying RTS/RPG developers to pad out their studios. Given Halo Infinite multiplayer seems like the foundation of something built to last and I can't see 343 rushing into another Halo singleplayer title any time soon, I imagine Microsoft will probably experiment with more Halo spin-offs in the future. A Halo Wars or Halo Tactics game doesn't seem too far fetched.

When I talked to her would have been when Mattrick was still in charge. It makes sense that if Spencer likes RTS games and the amount of time that they might have had another go at it. I really liked Halo Wars and was bummed that the online population for it died so quickly. I just remember the conversation because she was so direct on that it did bad and they had no intention to revisit the idea.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How smooth are the Brutes?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're around in name only. I hadn't checked on them for years until someone mentioned it in another thread last week and what I found honestly baffled and depressed me.

Half the cast is gone because the members either left Roosterteeth or got fired (turns out Caboose's VA is a massive chud) and the latest season has a bunch of brand new Original Characters Do Not Steal running around in fully animated episodes ala RWBY battling stock assets from Unreal Engine games. It's rather shocking to see RVb develop from riffing on multiplayer tropes to a squad of edgelord OCs fighting lava monsters for an ancient power source that makes the user Invincible and godlike.

And yet despite the series being fully animated and not using the Halo game engine they still decided to animate scenes like they were using a game engine for machinima with a bunch of head bobbing and static shots. It looks terrible, the script is awful and only three characters show up, two of whom are unfunny assholes and Tucker, who has three lines in the entire series.

I remember when I was at PAX like 10 years ago and went to the Roosterteeth panel because I remembered the funny Halo videos. They debuted new episodes that ended up being some fully animated, what the gently caress is happening Dragonball Z fights. I can't believe its still going and went even harder into that.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I played through Reach last night for the first time since the 360. I had forgotten so much of it but I think it is still my overall favorite of the 5 Bungie campaigns. It did stick out to me that all of the male members of Noble die heroically in some way to progress the mission (apparently 343 says 6 was absolutely a man in spite of the player choice), but Kat just gets shot in the loving head randomly.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really like the broad thrust of the story where it goes from realizing the Covenant are there, early skirmishes, counter offensive then losing. Even though Call of Duty played the idea out really hard, it feels like the narrative would have benefited from the Spartans failing at stuff. Noble succeeds at every task given to them and dies handing off to Chief, who we know wins the war entirely. Halo is too locked into a power fantasy to have something like a mission where you're trying to help but the Covenant glass where you are before you can succeed.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Reach kind of a weird pairing with ODST. By time it comes out, you're very used to Marines dying and I think even within the overall fiction, ODSTs are basically also considered suicide troops? The main group spends a lot of the day being the special shock troops turning the tides of local conflicts, succeed in their secret mission (though I don't actually know what purpose the Engineer served in the larger story), everyone lives and Buck gets the girl.

Reach is the same broad story again, but with down endings for all of the characters but the final mission was obviously more important. I know the canon made up some story about how it was only some subsystems of Cortana to fit with the book but within the games, you're clearly delivering the one and only Cortana.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I played a little over half of the Halo 4 campaign (through the way too long Mammoth/Ship/Weird Book poo poo/Tanks) level. Its better than I remember from my one time with it when it was new but still not great.

I've been playing through the games in release order, so going from Reach to 4 makes the art/sound choices seem even worse. Reach was able to change up how things looked and felt but kept it grounded even that everything still felt like Halo put from a new perspective. Things only moved like 1-2 steps away from classic and there were enough things that were exactly the same that was still familiar enough. Changing absolutely everything for 4 broke that and they made things too different. Grunts and Jackals look like completely different aliens. I hate that all of the Covenant weapons sound clicky instead of hot.

The Prometheans are all ugly and bad to fight.

Too much of the game demands mid to long range fights. Good thing there are 2 pistols, 4 precision midrange weapons and 3 sniper rifles that are all basically the same within their category.

Cortana had always been getting hornier designs as time went on but Halo 4 went too far from 'feminine shaped Hologram' to outright 'dummy thicc naked blue lady.'

I'll probably finish the last three levels today. I haven't played Halo 5 at all before so I'm interested to see if it improves on any of these issues or just doubles down while creating new ones.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

skasion posted:

Truth’s whole character changes with the voice actor. Michael Wincott always sounds like he’s above it all and up to some other poo poo. I fully expected Truth to be playing 5D chess with the universe and I remember being really disappointed with where 3 went with him.

Time for Halo Infinite to reveal that in fact the Halo 3 Prophet of Truth was a decoy and the real Truth is still alive and behind the Banished.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started Halo 5's campaign for the first time. First two levels take: Holy poo poo is this loving terrible. For my issues with Halo 4, at least it felt like Halo, if lesser than the Bungie set. This just feels like some other scifi game that's jank as hell. The characters using all of the book names for Covenant after never using them for 6 previous games is super goofy. I'm guessing part of why Infinite is taking so long is needing to do a complete reset from whatever 343 had planned to follow up this.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm getting near the end of Halo 5 and fighting with the sword aliens from planet sword through their sword temples. The Elites must have joined the Covenant so they would have a second color in their lives other than brown.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
ODST is very good and hilariously based around Bungie's favorite thing, going backwards through a level at night but for half the game.

I finished Halo 5. It had 1 good new idea for the campaign, make the characters more agile, which isn't that well implemented. The drop from the sky and the boost dodge never felt useful. For that 1 idea, everything else was a clusterfuck of stupid choices. Repeating the Mass Effect 3 ending of organics vs AIs feels completely batshit to have done in 2015. I wonder how much Infinite will acknowledge the plot at all. Cortana trying to rule the galaxy with her army of off brand Reapers doesn't really fit with anything that 343 has shown.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got a Halo Infinite branded toy yesterday with some special looking Elite. I look forward to fighting him 9+ times throughout the campaign with increasing frequency.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Wasn't Halo 2 the one where Bungie admitted that Legendary was completely unbalanced and broken because they didn't really have time to think about it?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I played 5's campaign, it felt like every gun was capable to the point that it had the Call of Duty style flatness to it, other than close/long range distinctions.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The ODST environment was partially reused for several of the main missions so the hub covered Bungie's quota of reuse and 'going backwards through a level at night'. I enjoyed it a lot the first time but on my recent replay, I used a guide for the audio logs. When you're not taking up time to loop around for those and forcing yourself into extra encounters, the city is extremely hokey.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Kins posted:

Interesting note from a recent interview with Marcus Lehto: Bungie's plans for a Halo 4 weren't dissimilar from what 343 ultimately ended up doing. They ended up making Reach instead, since contractually they weren't up for another multi-game story arc with their foot out the door into Destiny-land and all.

"Yeah, Cortana would wake up Chief and we'd do stuff with Forerunners probably" is pretty superficial though. There is so much particular weirdness that 343 put into the story that Bungie might not have done even within the same framework.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
343 explicitly wanted Halo to be the new Star Wars when they took over. Its funny how they ended up preempting the actual new Star Wars in largely misfiring on what people liked about the originals and burying context for the plot to make any sense in ancillary materials.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When you have a window, Cortana or the Doctor yells at you to go for it. If you're trying at that point and still dying, good luck because that part sucks and has terrible checkpointing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Cythereal posted:

Yup. Usually when they tell me to go for it, I have at least two gold elites and a sniper still hammering at me.

Yeah, that's basically what happened to me when I ran through it last month. After like 10 times the game finally decided to checkpoint towards the end of the fight (instead of the middle of the last loving room) and I was eventually able to do it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hasn't the campaign been shown to be more like Farcry? Will it even have levels?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mantis is the best thing from 343 era Halo and I'm pleased to now have a gigantic toy of it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been buying Halo Infinite branded toys all year. I wonder if at a certain point, Microsoft has external business commitments that say they have to get this poo poo out or pay up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have a drawer full of codes from the toys for whatever they give me and if the codes are even still good by time it comes out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ah, that is the case. I hadn't actually bothered to read the cards since I assumed they didn't work yet. I redeemed some icon and an armor finish but it looks like there might only be 1 prize for the 3 3/4 figures and 1 for the 6 inch ones so I have a bunch of extra codes (it said I already redeemed the bonus they mapped to).

Here are the rest, have fun, say what ones you took, lurkers don't look

Probably all the icon thing?
Q5D7-6N5S-VVNZ-W5DN
Y22T-VC5B-9Y4Z-AL1D
D1AH-X1I8-LU2F-QCDU

Probably the armor thing?
WR8P-N3UW-A945-2TH1
FVGL-M1MA-QXLK-2CYZ

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The anniversary ones will all be time limited? I shouldn't have dumped all of the points I had been accumulating since I got my original Reach Spartan's armor back.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

skasion posted:

The main menu splash page says they’ll rotate back through over the next year

Ah, nice. Hopefully I can get the ones I'd want then.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My most played Xbox game according to the Xbox Museum site is apparently Halo Wars, which has to make me stand alone among all people on earth.

I did really love that game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I played 2v2 with one of my friends a lot back when it was at its 'peak'. We would continually get matched with the same people that we'd just played because nobody else was playing it at all. I really liked where it had a balance of strategic and tactical gameplay. We were a really good team for the most part. My friend occasionally would get caught up if one unit proved super dominant in a match and want to just keep doing that every time in spite of the game being built around hard counters.