Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Spotted across the alley at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Supposedly he jumped up there from the runway, according to the pilots on the ATC recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wsOqoHbuiI

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Crossposting from the weather thread:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Our internet pole at the office got a bit truckfuckled today:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Maryland Public Television had a similar lineup, britcoms from 8-11, then red green at 11, red dwarf at 11:30, and doctor who starting at midnight.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've got a book for this guy to read.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is it 50V celsius or fahrenheit?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Probably for the aluminum/copper content. I imagine that's why the wiring harness also gets separated out.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/73nxlCF.mp4

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Cameras are everywhere now. Finding someone to get the footage is the hard part. Nothing wondrous about that.

I've had a camera pointed at and recording idiot drivers at the 3-way stop outside my apartment for over a year and just have a whole list of timestamps I need to go back and pull clips from. It's enough content for a whole youtube channel, I just haven't had the time to edit it all.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh, that's why they call them ratchet straps.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I was wondering what was on the other side of this door near my office.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Issaries posted:

Yeah. That seems fine for normal, non-impaired drivers.

edit: Found the dangerous part

Remove the part circled in red, so drunk drivers don't bounce toward other traffic and/or pedestrians.

It's probably there to protect the bridge.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think that needs more than just paint.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I thought I remembered this happening last year but apparently it was almost a decade ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrNluXrrHKY

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm guessing they open the doors on the other side and push them out.

It's clearly a portal truck, somewhere else there's another truck where they exit.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I spent way, way, way too long trying to figure out what was wrong with the traffic light or the cars in the distance until I scrolled down.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The way that looped I thought they just jumped out again after celebrating.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

DeeplyConcerned posted:

There was yield sign on the highway off ramp by my house. After frequent accidents caused by people suicidally failing to yield they changed it to a stop sign. Someone just sailed right through the other day and almost hit me. I'm just going to avoid that stretch from now on. What's the next level up from a stop sign?

Stop, One Way, and emergency vehicles mean nothing to most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bG1pVPQnMI

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

When they announced they were shutting down because a fire caused some damage I was assuming some smouldering, maybe a little flame, not...this.

https://twitter.com/wjz/status/1732905327035617502

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Rubix Squid posted:

I was 14 and the sausage exploded.

That's just puberty.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The upgraded seals will be waterproof but also have a 2 inch gap due to panel alignment.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Can't let the ether get out like that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/AE3cZfv.mp4

There has to be a better way.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Maybe they shouldn't have lowered the road.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It's a game but it's controlling a real truck somewhere.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think it's 6 but the governor said it was moving at 8 when it collided. Either way it's a fuckload of momentum. I punched these numbers in based on what was said at that press conference and yeah I don't think they designed it to handle a 788887. Compared to the WTC that pillar was a toothpick, and you're throwing about 4 times as much energy into it?

The channel is far more important than the bridge at this point. The two tunnels are already congested and aren't going to become completely gridlocked by the normal commuter traffic, and for trucks passing through on 95 that can't use the tunnels, going the other way around 695 is about the same distance and has no tolls (but generally higher traffic).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I saw a reddit post last night (that I can't find right now, so grain of salt and all that) saying that the same ship had a power failure last year and slowly hit a dock somewhere else in the world.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

From https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/transportation/dali-cargo-ship-hits-baltimore-bridge-QY2M32XFPRDMHM34RKVPK3TR3Y/:

quote:

The vessel was built by Hyundai in 2015. Of the 27 inspections for Dali logged in an online database maintained by Electronic Quality Shipping Information System, two noted deficiencies. In 2016, one report logged damage on the hull’s ship. That year, Dali hit a stone wall while unmooring at the Port of Antwerp. The vessel reportedly sustained minor damages and was detained for repairs. In June, another inspection found problems with “propulsion and auxiliary machinery.”

The vessel was last inspected in September by the U.S. Coast Guard, which found no deficiencies, according to the database.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The distance is actually shorter (by about a mile) going around the west side, but the traffic is generally much worse. There's a reason most of the east side is 2 lanes and they're currently adding a 5th in parts of the west.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Looks to be on Fort Armistead Rd leading up to the last on-ramp to the beltway before the bridge.

There is literally nothing past the onramp that would be open at night.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

One of the things I've been trying to research (unsuccessfully so far) is why they went with one of the longest truss spans in the world over any other option. I suspect the main factors were some combination of "cost", "cable stayed bridges weren't the go-to design yet", and "there's a steelworks 1/4 mile away". The channel itself is also less wide than the central span:

So it was as wide as it needed to be. Modern cable-stayed designs can have spans longer than not only the longest span of the truss (1/4 mile) but the entire width of the waterway (1 mile)*, and you can go even longer with suspension. Any serious study on the replacement bridge design is going to look at the balance between the costs of protective structures and a longer unsupported span. If they can build a replacement 1/4 mile span + sufficient dolphins for less than it costs to build the 1 mile span and no dolphins, they probably will.

Another factor is the height of the bridge itself. Not only to let tall ships pass through, but vehicles need to go up and down to get over the bridge, and you can't have that slope be too steep, and there's only so much land either side of the bridge where you can raise the highway.

*Assuming you count the causeway portion of the bridge complex as land

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The alternate route, going around the west side of the beltway, is actually about a mile shorter for traffic passing through on 95. The problem is the west side has much more traffic, to the point where they're adding a 5th lane in some places, while most of the east side (including the bridge) is 2 lanes. There's a few reasons for this, mostly that there's just more people on the west side, but also people in the east side suburbs have more reasonable options for going into the city, including 95 itself, 895, and US routes 1 and 40, and to a lesser extent a number of surface roads. From the most populated areas of the west side there's just 40 and maybe Liberty Road. Through-travellers on 95 that aren't large/hazmat trucks also choose the west side over the east because there's no tolls - all three harbor crossings on the east side had tolls.

From what I've seen and heard over the past couple days, it's looking like the daily traffic impact from losing the bridge isn't going to be as big of a deal as most people were thinking.

Also I think most people in Baltimore are very aware what the problem with putting hazmats through tunnels is.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

As far as I can tell no one's really checking especially since they went to electronic tolling.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ethanol posted:

on mac you hold the key down for a little bit

But then how do you scream?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I get the same thing in firefox on one computer but not on the other and both are windows 10 so idk fonts be weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/PZwwnuF.mp4