Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Renegret posted:

Ironically (or not I guess), leaving out the one time he for real accidentally almost killed himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3vGaOLWqE&t=473s

He's been pretty transparent that this one incident was a legitimate accident and could've been significantly worse.

DID HE GRAB THE TWO ENDS OF A GODDAMNED UNBALLASTED MICROWAVE OVEN TRANSFORMER AND TAKE THAT ACROSS THE CHEST HOLY gently caress HOW IS HE ALIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ruggan posted:

Yeah I’m no electrical engineer but didn’t he just unintentionally run that current directly through his heart?

It's particularly bad because of the "perfect storm" that is a microwave transformer.

You hear "its the volts that jolts, the mills that kills". 100 milliamps across the heart is enough to kill you. But, you can touch car batteries (600,000 milliamps) without issue because the voltage is low enough that your skin's resistance won't allow enough current to flow. You can survive thousands of volts from static shock, TASERs (generally...), electric flyswatters, etc because they can't source the 100 milliamps necessary, although they have a sufficiently high voltage to do it.

A microwave transformer runs at about 2,500 volts. They can source up to 1000 milliamps. They have no safeties on them whatsoever. I am legitimately amazed he did not die.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

McGavin posted:

It's a Russian machine designed to cut a apple into four pieces.

I wanted to let you know I saw and appreciated this.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

How long do I have to watch before the bowl shatters from heat shock?

It eventually does, takes a few minutes.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
<monotone> The UCSB concludes that its original recommendation of not welding on a full propane tank is still the safest behavior in this situation </monotone>

insta
Jan 28, 2009
40+40mph = 40mph+wall because both cars have crumple zones. The speed is higher but you've got twice as much crumplezone to deal with it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Sanctum, please wait for the next presidental administration when hopefully whistleblowing is legal again and report the poo poo out of everything.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Serephina posted:

And shameful decision.

Also:

I'm still trying to figure out how the barman managed that. Looks like there was no nip on it, and he just splashed it forwards with a bad pour? As in, if there was no fire the customer would still have gotten soaked with booze?

Edit: no wait it clearly has a nip on it. I've never had something violently shoot out like that, what the heck.

As he was pouring, it "glugged" and allowed atmospheric air back into the bottle, which mixed with alcohol vapors. The flame traveled up the alcohol, and made a "whoosh rocket". The jet of fire carried alcohol with it, which ignited in air and sprayed the woman in the face with burning alcohol, which then stuck to her face and promptly hosed her up: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3494636/Shocking-moment-bartender-accidentally-engulfs-woman-flames-sets-internet-alight.html

insta
Jan 28, 2009

The guy running away is not the guy at the start of the video

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That's what blkdiscard does, and is the only way to delete from an SSD thanks to wear leveling.

Pending OSHA: my work got a ping-pong table. We put it on the mezzanine, with a thin chain stopping all the retarded fat developers (myself included) from plummeting 15 feet to the concrete floor below. For some reason we are incapable of chasing a runaway ball without looking like Peter Griffin.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the great thing about biometric safeties is they're low cost and really reliable, i'm surprised theey're not more widespread. we should probably pass some legislation mandating their use on all guns, including historical relics.

I'm quarantine-drunk and can't detect sarcasm anymore. Is this a thing?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Anybody with a forklift can drain a decorative pond. Only a real forklift operator can fill it back up again afterwards.

But only with a suspiciously-specific T-shirt.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I drive a
FORKLIFT
and I
DRAIN DECORATIVE PONDS
if you don't like it
SUCK MY rear end

Needs more "BORN IN SEPTEMBER" and "LISTENS TO NEO-PROG. ROCK FROM 1991-1996" though.

And skulls.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

My work has a policy of testing if there's an accident and drugs are suspected but thankfully it's illegal to do random tests here.

As far as marijuana goes, there are apparently tests now that can distinguish from "had a joint three days ago" and "has a joint three hours ago."

Those tests are the ones they use for white people though.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

There is no loving way.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Kith posted:

There's too much weight to it unless it's one of those insanely detailed five-figure RC cars with delicately machined springs and a six sig-fig weight balance that's intended to perfectly simulate the real thing.

JohnnyQ90 checking in

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Kith posted:

I don't get the reference. :(

He's a YouTuber who makes "talking hands" style videos of upgrading his RC car. Down to machining (functional!) little 1/10th scale brake rotors.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Dude could've bought a used sedan for what he spent on the bubble wrap

insta
Jan 28, 2009

zegermans posted:

Nitrate wouldn't just go up on its own, at least not like that - it'd need some sort of fuel

It does though. Ammonium nitrate is a high explosive all on its own, it's just incredibly desensitized.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

TasogareNoKagi posted:

He's a loving Russian oligarch shipping knock-off explosive in a decrepit ship, and walked away when he got caught.

He's a scumbag but he's not responsible for Lebanon keeping it downtown for seven years.

Everybody keeps ragging on the knock-off explosive. It obviously works

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Why are the cabbages not on a chute down the middle? They would auto-feed when the previous cabbage falls away.

edit: coconuts?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like we as a thread just sorta glossed over the 87,000 psi pressure vessel for avocado preservation. That is an insane amount of pressure :psyduck:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
post10 at it again

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I wanted to say "bread, head, or" but couldn't think of A third thing

you're walking instead?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I did that plunge-cutting into lineoleum with a circular saw I borrowed from my neighbor. My wife and I had been arguing about doing the floor ourselves or hiring said neighbor (who was a general contractor to do it). I was cutting a triangle so I could start cutting the floor out. First two plunge cuts went fine, third plunge cut kicked back and ate straight up my femoral artery before my jeans finally bound it up. I had the guard set such that I got scrapes along the skin, nothing more. The cut was about 14 inches long.

I wordlessly walked to my neighbors house with my shredded jeans exposing my underwear and told him he was doing the flooring. It was an extremely surreal moment.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sex Skeleton posted:

The rule is that if you have to borrow a power tool to do it you should consider hiring someone.

I had plenty of other tools and I had just moved into the house. I just specifically didn't have a circular saw and he had like 12 of them.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Garrand posted:

I'm not a gun person, know nothing about guns but for years I've wanted to see someone do this with like a minigun or something but this works too

I'm on the fence if the gun or the ammo they fired just then cost more.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If it had, it would have ended the tornado immediately, so uhhhh, there’s that.

For however big that explosion was, how small do you think tornadoes are?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

has anyone told the US that you can put powerlines underground?

We do that. Then they explode underground instead.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Goddamn, I couldn't even tell that there was anything wrong in the first picture. those second and third pics... :catstare:

Well that was probably quick.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
0.01 gigagrams of cesium

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Could your problems be solved with better FDM plastics?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

OSHA IV: cab down bed up thats the way we like to truck

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

The thing about the “I pressed the brakes and I kept going” is that any car with functional brakes is going to be able to easily put out more braking force than the engine can deal with - especially when it’s always some generic 150hp sedan.

Yeah but at wide open throttle, you get about 2 brake presses before you lose vacuum assist. Brakes without assist "feel broken" as people are only used to pressing with their toe. That, and not knowing what the other letters in PRNDL stand for, means they're just along for the ride.

This is really only the case for events like the state trooper in his Altima (?), not gramps who buckles up and is through the plate glass storefront 0.25 seconds later.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is a seriously good combo. also jicama and tajin.

Name something tajin doesn't make better and I'll emptyquote a post where you're provably wrong.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

WHERES THAT GLOBAL WARMING bahgawd

That is definitely a *ah gawt ahwl wheel draaahv, I'll be fine" moment

insta
Jan 28, 2009

sigher posted:

This is a couple pages back but I didn't see anyone respond to this, but what the gently caress is happening here?

You can pretty easily get a lot of liquid propane inside the fittings, that will burn for a long time after disconnected. I have one of those rosebud-burners, and it burns for like 2 minutes after the propane tank has been fully unscrewed.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I knew a guy with one in the US. The pedals are absolutely functional, and the motor is not all that large for the speed.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
horses are about 15 horsepower :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
☝ Presenting to the emergency room ☝