Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

No no no no no no

I almost drowned when a wave 1/20th the size of that one bent me backwards and nearly broke my spine. A year in physical therapy to stand and walk normally again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Why didn't you dive under?

I was trying to ride it. I failed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I’ve got a manual transmission car that often doesn’t like to start, so when I stop by the side of the road I often leave it running and in neutral, relying only in the parking brake which is weak and useless. One day this will be me.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ReelBigLizard posted:

I organised the workers against the management in that basement.

rude

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

So the bad news is we lost the generator. Fell off while we were trying to load it. Yeah, right in the water. The loader tipped over and fell in. Yeah, in the water too. But first it hit the boat. A little damage, yeah, and then it capsized and sank.

Anyway now there’s a harbor guy here says we gotta clear out the dock because they can’t use it anymore. Could you maybe send down some bigger loading equipment so we can lift them out?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

This is exactly what someone hiding a body would write

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Piper cubs will just take off straight up, do a loop, bounce off the ground, and land perfectly. The human pilot is extraneous.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
That munger building looks like it was designed to increase the suicide rate by causing depression from lack of sunlight.

Santa Barbara / Goleta is a beautiful beach town and if you are living in a sunless prison cell there you are absolutely wasting your money.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dude doesn’t even get off the phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

We call him Larry, because that was the name he carved into the shoddy shop table he built in the garage. I just recently found a transformer in the roof powering what I assume was some kind of track lighting system that no longer exists, but still very much powered on with exposed live wires.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PurpleXVI posted:

Isn't it also repeatedly turning into lanes vividly marked "BUS ONLY"?

This is in downtown San Jose and I have almost turned into those bus and light rail lanes many times when driving in that area. Not to excuse the Tesla, which is clearly a death machine, but those lanes are confusing. I don’t normally have these kinds of driving problems.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hollow Talk posted:

It's just a tram, right? Why would it need fences? Do your streets have fences? Why would the trains have to creep along but cars are allowed to drive normally?
:confused: :psyduck:

A car can stop much faster than a train, and also steer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Oh come on, that hole was made by a rock and they shoved a corn cob in there.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

This is a prank right? Someone watered his car at night to create a shell

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I miss driving in LA, where the people drive fast and close and aggressively. My skills have withered living away from it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Here’s that rust you ordered

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I would feel better about SF if some tech overlord got their face torn off by a mountain lion every once in a while

just like one a year c'mon

I’ve got good news for you. hikers in the nearby hills regularly go missing and frequently it’s because a mountain lion ate them. Not so much in SF proper, which would be much funnier.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jabor posted:

It's not really that they kill themselves (though a few might, depending on what exactly in the cell the radiation hits). Radiation damage can corrupt DNA to the point where cells can no longer reproduce long before it'll outright kill all the cells.

That's really what acute radiation sickness is - you've had enough of a radiation dose that your body can no longer replace cells, it's running on what cells it had when the event happened. So your body systems just progressively shut down, starting with the ones using short-lived cells that are normally replaced frequently like the gut.

If you go far beyond a fatal dose then yeah, eventually you end up at a point where all your cells just die immediately because of being blasted with high-energy radiation. But at that point you probably have other things to worry about, like the pressure wave from whatever event created all that radiation.

Ionizing radiation damages DNA, but it’s not the reproduction that kills you. DNA is a template for protein synthesis. When it’s damaged, the cell may not be able to make or regulate vital proteins it needs to continue living. Some cells will die very rapidly, causing the immediate first wave of radiation sickness. Others will chug along for a while before dying. This is the second wave of radiation sickness, which hits several days later and generally leads to total organ failure.

A fatal radiation dose is basically being dead but the cells in your body die at different times over the course of a few days.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

knuthgrush posted:

OK, I'm not afraid of looking dumb. After you point and laugh at me, please tell me what these are.

Cobalt 60 rods

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
This thread taught me that diesels need piss.

I drove a diesel car for a few years, but it was a 1979 Mercedes, and to my knowledge no urine was ever involved in its operation.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Driving a Russian military vehicle in Ukraine I would have some serious concerns about catching an anti tank missile from someone who thought I was a target. OSHA doesn’t help with friendly fire.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I’ve been reading a lot about how the Russian military logistics chain lacks standard pallets and containers, and how this is a huge part of their failure. Besides the obvious disaster like above, consider that this truck was hand loaded and will be hand unloaded. Every Russian truck is like this. They have no forklifts or loading arms. They’re spending hours of manpower and truck time just loading and unloading, and things get damaged all the time.

Losing a war due to lack of forklift operators

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

On the pro side he’s got liquid cooling keeping his bearings from melting. On the con side he’s going to hit a pot hole and flip onto a wet expressway and the vehicle behind will roll right over him regardless of whether they hit the brakes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Powershift posted:

I would hope it's just an air cylinder and a heavy hinge.

https://i.imgur.com/toE6TVu.mp4

It’s just the old man version of truck nuts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

One orifice conspicuously missing so I assume it’s okay

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Platystemon posted:

Watermelon rind shock absorbers

Watermelon rind low friction glider pad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lmao 100% online lol

I’ve never driven a forklift in my life but I’m gonna do this for the stolen valor.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

It also conveniently serves as a projectile to fire into the front seats in case of collision.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

What is going on here? Is one of his wheels intermittently locking up?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Today I learned why we call adjusting the control surfaces on an aircraft trimming

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
At some point the danger of losing that much food and having to remake it all far outweighs the benefit of having only one guy haul it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Andre Dufresnovski crawled to freedom through five hundred meters of poo poo smelling foulness I can't even imagine. Unfortunately for him the pipe was a thousand meters long.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
If t2 was made today with bleeding edge cgi it would not be half as good as it is with 1990’s practical effects

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Anti tank mines, not likely to be triggered by a human. Still a big nope

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

That’s nothing. I’ve seen them get behind a column of about 20 people standing at the door and push the whole group inside of what looked like an already packed train.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

why?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3rIOnon.mp4

Automobile safety test from 1930.

Driver probably broke his ribs from hitting the steering wheel before bouncing out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Scratch Monkey posted:

Döner is just the Steak-Ums of the Middle East

Prove me wrong

Doner is garbage they feed to drunk white people. A good shawarma doesn’t look like a log of compressed particle board

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Kinda neat to see the sudden return of traction as the bridge is connected to earth again. Almost fun if you can keep it off the walls and other cars

I was about to say the return to traction is the worst part, especially if you’re sideways. It hits you pretty hard as you go from smooth sailing to instant full lock deceleration skid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hollismason posted:

I always kind of wonder about when something like this happens does the guy in charge get fired.

You can’t fire that guy. You know he’s never going to make a mistake like that again as long as he lives.