Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just want to say how much I appreciate this because as a fish biologist I have at one time been every participant in this picture both metaphorically and literally.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nenonen posted:

How? Are you a biologist who studies fish, or a fish who is a biologist?

yes

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

it usually feels like swimming upstream

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You have to push the crates in the hallway into the water and then jump on them to get to the electrical panel and turn it off. The drain is down in the floor, you need to open that next. Did you get the rebreather in the vent tunnel when you were sneaking around the turret, or just put on the ballistic armor and run through?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I heard that Busch Gardens still celebrates that day.
Not as the day that Fabio got his nose hosed up by a goose, but the day that Fabio killed a goose with his face.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LifeSunDeath posted:

lmao this loving chud

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol check out their rap sheet.

That is some impressive dedication to being a real piece of poo poo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Official safety placard I spotted near Gilroy CA.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Platystemon posted:

Discarding sabot, though.

Yeah, iirc mythbusters puzzled over this for a bit and devised a sabot of some kind.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

quote:

After the explosion, the subject screams in pain and writhes, while those present are surprised by the fact.

:haw: Not as surprised as he was :haw:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tim Alexander’s kit is usually silly big.

https://youtu.be/-cNXre6U6DY

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

https://youtu.be/gAKekhmTRaY
Just in case you wanted to see something that makes Colin Furze seem reasonable

You can't post pulsejets and Robert Maddox without posting the pulsejet powered Acme skateboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X85nVErXgU

It doesn't go as fast as I hoped but I bet it's still pretty wild. Imagine sliding off the back of that thing or getting into a speed wobble and having it flip over on top of you.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://twitter.com/tubegobbled/status/1486102908651331591

https://twitter.com/tubegobbled/status/1486186198305542144

https://twitter.com/tubegobbled/status/1486186556759187459

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 8, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

PostNouveau posted:

That dude controlling the angle grinder with the guard is probably the funniest one

Also good is the guy using his feet as a vice

My favorite vice is coffee and sometimes beer and pot. Having feet for a vice is weird and you probably shouldn't talk about it in public.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You know what, in retrospect it's bad to kinkshame and I take back what I said. Clearly I need to work to remove the moat from my own eye.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

thatbastardken posted:

mote. unless you have a ditch in your eye in which case I'm very sorry.

:thejoke: in my response to someone misspelling vise as vice

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

voice

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've had a bunch of fun screwing around with a giant pvc potato gun my brother made, I never knew there was any particular structural danger :sweatdrop:

What’d you use for propellant? I used aerosol hairspray and a camping stove lighter, the kind with a little steel wheel and a flint.

I quit playing with mine sometime soon after I launched a rocket made of a 1” pvc tube with a 3/&”x4x lag bolt sticking out the nose into the stratosphere in the direction of the next neighborhood over.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here's a little story about a lawless construction project.

In 2007 and 2008, I lived in Nevada near a "town" called Crystal, which is basically just a few brothels and a bar and some desert folk. Crystal is northwest of Vegas about 100 miles and really close to Nellis Air Force base, home to Yucca Mountain and Area 51.

Just to send home the size of this place and the isolation:

I heard at the bar about this crazy guy who was digging a giant pit and filling it with conex containers just down the street. He was supposedly completely unhinged and maybe schizophrenic but he had a shitload of family money from some major company like Nestle or something. Any part of his backstory could be complete bullshit or it could be entirely true just because of the type of people that end up living out in the desert in southern Nevada. A local in the bar told me that one of his tweaker equipment operators (supposedly hired tweakers exclusively because they were easy to fire at will and would work for drugs) broke some poo poo with a backhoe and his response was do do a flying two foot kick into the guy's chest while he was standing near the edge of the pit. He also reportedly would argue with himself in the bar mirror.

So one day me and my roommate were bored and had heard just enough stories to check it out. We had a couple drinks at the bar and then went down the street to gawk at the pit. As soon as we pulled up, a big unchained guard dog ran out and confronted us. Crazy Tyler Durden lookin guy comes running up laughing kind of maniacally and says something like "Hey fellas what the gently caress is up?" and sent the dog off. We asked if we could see his pit and he took us over. At the time it was just a giant pit with a couple conex containers in the bottom on his 1-acre lot. He told us all about his pipe dream which included basically as many containers as he could fit into it, all linked together with stairwells, an elevator shaft made of a couple containers stood up on their ends, a "grotto with a waterfall" at one end, all kinds of other poo poo.

The pit:

I think the lot to the northeast is his spoils from the pit. Alternately, it may be another pit. My geography is kind of hazy, but I thought I remembered the spoils pile lot being the one I stood at the edge of and looked down into. There may be a tunnel between the southwest pit and a bunker under the northeast pit.

Every now and then I check out aerial imagery to see what's been done with it. No idea if it's even in the same hands anymore. But now it's for sale!! Pictures of its current state from Zillow:

I really want to call up the realtor and just hear what the process has been like. It has all the appearance of a meth-fueled project. I assume in these pictures it's actually been cleaned up a little bit. I remember from seeing it back in 2007 thinking it looked like a Mad Max movie set but way more unsafe. Zero fencing, no hard hats or vests, just grubby looking desert dwellers all over the place messing with rusty poo poo and driving equipment with no apparent organization.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

PostNouveau posted:

This is the perfect setup for a Tremors reboot. In the end, everyone ends up fighting the monsters from the meth guy's underground fortress.

I can't find it on Zillow, so what on earth do they say in the description of the property?

Well the street address is correct but it's listed in Pahrump, which is about 20 miles away.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3521-Corral-Ln-Pahrump-NV-89060/2067351760_zpid/

Not a lot of information to go on. I really want pictures from inside the containers.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ablative posted:

No one's nuking a shantytown in the Nevada desert (anymore) so you'd have to worry more about knock-ons from it.

Yeah but I bet Nellis AFB is high on other counties’ nuke lists. It is extremely active with gently caress your country up aircraft. I saw a B2 a couple times, lots of fighter jets, got strafed by a pair of A10s, and a bunch of poo poo I couldn’t identity. Crystal is less than 90 miles in a straight line from Groom Lake and a lot closer to other installations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Real Amethyst posted:

Wasn't there a post here a while ago about some fake CIA town in the desert that some guy accidentally ended up in and nobody realized he wasn't meant to be there until he kept trying to find a room at the fake motel and food at the fake restaurant?

This is a twilight zone episode.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This led me down the rabbit hole of finding other military training facilities out in the desert. I looked at Fort Irwin in California and came across some pretty funny Google reviews of stuff.

Like the Santa Fe barracks.

Or the Razish Military Training Village.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 10, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Any time you see someone striking a match that way, you can bet there will be some eyebrows lost soon.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVKgY1ilx0Y

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They get nibbled by sharks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdZAxlXWjcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOkgNI87Bo

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 15, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

oontz oontz oontz oontz

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What is this music? Is this krautwave?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think Brian Emfinger is a storm chaser.

I mean, not that he’s not bonkers, but it explains why he’s there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BasicLich posted:

why, would you be better able to stomach the loss of life if they happened unconsciously? is that what you comfort yourself with, this idea that dying in one's sleep is somehow better than any alternative?

yes

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mozi posted:

One of the black boxes from the China plane crash has been recovered, but it's heavily damaged.

I wonder if they'll find that the pilot was letting his kid fly the plane.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

If this is a Michael Crichton (Airframe) reference, :discourse:

vvv edit: holy poo poo vvv
Yeah it was an Airframe reference but

:catstare:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just me and my bros jackin our slabs. Charging our jackin mud.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

empty whippet box posted:

good morning osha thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/tngkk4/tifu_by_laughing_after_a_guy_got_his_arm_ripped/

in this guy's defense that is extremely loving funny

I watched a guy get the end of his finger get bitten off by an alligator snapping turtle that we were putting into a sack. I picked it up and followed him as he staggered off and asked if he wanted it back and he passed out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Platystemon posted:

Why were you putting an alligator snapping turtle into a sack?

It's a pretty humane way to restrain them actually, as long as you use something like breathable feed sacks. We removed a couple hundred of them from one hatchery pond to transport to another, plus release some in some wildlife refuges in the region. When you put a pissy 80 lb dinosaur with bone crushing jaws on the ground and don't restrain it, somebody will be losing part of a leg pretty soon.

Captain Hygiene posted:

So did he want the turtle or not?

He said he was done with that poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Actually, transporting dangerous wildlife is OSHA as gently caress and as far as I know we had zero safety oversight for the event. I got bit on the toe (straight through my boot, no flesh lost) and on one finger (through the feed sack, hosed the nerves up for a couple years but didn't lose a digit).

This pond was partially drained, nobody had a good idea of exactly how many to expect, and you find them in the mud by feeling around for them.

So once you get your hands on one, you pull it out of the mud while trying not to get bit or scratched, and then carry it to the bank and bag it so it can't get away or catch someone on the ankle.

Eventually they're all transported into the lab, cleaned off, tissues taken, sorting, length and weight, etc.

They had reproduced while in the pond, so we were searching for hatchlings, too.

They don't move very fast but there were a ton of them around so you couldn't get too distracted.
https://i.imgur.com/vUVbyoU.mp4

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 25, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

haveblue posted:

What the gently caress? I hope you were at least feeling around with some kind of tool and not something that would be amputated if a snapping turtle got ahold of it

We had some shepherd's hooks, and you kind of shuffle a little bit to feel them with your feet. They generally don't bite stuff that's bigger than them underwater, so you can kind of poke them with your feet and get an idea of where the bitey end is. With the shepherd's hook, you turn them up on their side and get a grip on the shell and try to get them above the surface of the water so you can get a confident grip right behind their head. They don't have much reach with their neck, so they're actually a lot easier to handle than a common snapper or softshell turtle. They just have bigger consequences.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Xakura posted:

Let me amend my previous statement, full on motoGP airbag suit

The downhill longboarders have the right idea, at least during races. They wear one piece suits, gloves, and helmets. The rest of the time it just seems to be a helmet but that’s an improvement over so many of the one wheel riders I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It’s just amazing how fast a head accelerates into the ground when you fall over.