Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Gotta add an extra $35k to the medical bill with medical coding shenanigans after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The thought that it's possible to bring that mess back to even a resemblance of a normal arm is seriously loving amazing

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

What did you do to my truck?! I just came in for my free rotate and balance and it didn't have anything wrong with it!!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Found on alibaba

I don't think you're supposed to operate a printing press while standing on the rollers, whether feed or output

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Fumble posted:

About 22 years ago, my brother drove a brand new blade like that into a block of stone too fast and it went off like a machine gun in the workshop. you could see teeth embedded in the ceiling girders.
its amazing no one was killed there.

Given the thread that we're in, it took a bit to realize you didn't mean human teeth

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Listen, I know things are tough as a new window, but why do you keep bugging me about this? It was just a dumb accident- if he really thought it would be that dangerous for us to turn the like back on, then why did he use a PLASTIC lock? You're lucky we're not charging you for the 4 hours of production time we lost

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, it squealed real loud for a while, I think they were just breaking in. After that it had some kind of grinding noise, my brother said a rock must have gotten kicked up in there. Anyway, the pedal is real soft now I need you to go in there and adjust my brake pedal back so it's stiffer again.

What do you mean new brakes?! I just had them done, you drat ripoff artist, I'm going to report you to corporate and the bbb and the ftc!!!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Just point them to a place that installs drum brakes

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The ol' chicago overcoat onesie

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Humerus posted:

There was that employee that died during a test run of the triceratops spin in Animal Kingdom, but iirc that was a lock-out tag-out failure and he wasn't supposed to be on the tracks.

Well that's a hell of sentence for this thread. I hope you mean the loto failure was that they weren't supposed to turn on the ride. Erring on the side of safety is the entire point of loto, even if it's just one of those cardboard and rubber band tags

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

From the schad thread

MisterOblivious posted:

Mountainbike technology has gotten crazy advanced, so they had to build harder trails to ride. There's actually a bit of a resurgence of people riding less-advanced bikes to bring back some challenge back to the easier trails.

If that bridge was meant for walking it would have handrails.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

luxury handset posted:

in that case, the bready thing replaces utensils more than plates - you still need something to put the food on to keep it off the table/floor/whatever

That's what newspaper or foil is for, ala street food vendors. Also, there's no reason to be hung up on "stomach flu" - I don't think anyone actually believes it's flu related, it's just a polite way to say what happened without immediately conjuring the image of a brown fire hose

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't think you can solidly tell from an aftermath picture since the car would move so much, but given that he was fired my money's on winging the lift position and not using the right mount points on the car's frame

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

"poo poo, the car is too far back and the arm can't swing where it needs to go!.. Screw trying to get back in there to move it again, that door can only open like 5 inches with were the lift post is. I'll just hit the suspension bolt with the pad, it's already meant to take the weight"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

In my experience, the people who constantly get "stomach flu" or "food poisoning" are conveniently always getting it at the exact same time, usually the day after a weekend or holiday.

It's absurd when you think about it. There have been studies of call outs for people who work a standard 5-on 2-off week, and nearly 40% of sick days are timed to give them a 3 day weekend!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hey, so I'm finally looking for a house to buy! What kind of deathtrap stuff should i be on the lookout for that would be enough of a red flag to run screaming before needing to pay for an inspector?

I know screw in fuses and janky homemade writing in the attic, but what was the brand name of the circuit breaker panel that's a fire waiting to happen? The houses I'm looking at right now are in the midwest and were built between 1960 and 1980

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

MF_James posted:

Are you slyly spryly trysting?

Now that i think about it, a good chunk of the 7th guest house is could be fuel for the thread

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

senrath posted:

If that site is to be believed it's supposed to be completely self-sustaining, but those hydroelectric generators are the only source of power listed.

Duh. The reason the other perpetual motion machines don't work is because they're not using enough water to run big enough turbines!

e: Welp, that's what I get for not seeing there's another page

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Well well you see, not wearing ppe means they're more likely to act in a safe manner since they have their life and limbs literally on the line

:eng99:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

They turned on the LHC

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Psh, maybe not you, but I've been hosed by plenty of corporations :smuggo:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I love the arm-eating guardrails on the turns. Neck-eating if they feel particularly hungry

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I liked the idea of the nearly-magical language stuff and the basically b-movie vibe of the setting was fun, but I noped the gently caress out of the book when it got to the skeevy underage(?) rape. Crypto had some ok ideas, but it was padded out to like 5x beyond what was needed and had something like a whole chapter unrelated to anything else devoted to the protagonist rubbing one out. Seriously, why do his books get recommended so much?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I do a history of math as the first week of all my classes and I had them come up with ways of counting without numbers and a kid figured this out on their own it was cool as poo poo. When I related it back to base 60 ie 60 seconds in a minute etc it really blew the classes mind.

In case you haven't seen it yet, Universal History of Numbers is an amazing book

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Because those stupid house builders put the wrong shape plug in the wall. What do you mean the wires will be a problem? The power cord in this thing is brand new, I just need to change the shape of the end!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I like that they paired such whimsical, hopeful music with shot after shot of attempted suicide

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Boogalo posted:

Also miiiiight want to get your breakers tested.

How can you test them aside from intentionally creating an overload? Even "just" creating a short with a fused connection that has a slightly higher rating than the breaker still seems super unsafe

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Except they didn't account for the 3mm or so of the fake grout line :bang:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I feel like a snowboard would be safer than skis given the chance of rotating, but kudos to whoever edited the clip - the timing of the reveal was perfect

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

kntfkr posted:

Another OSHA story; my dad was inspecting an FBI gun range and there were really high quantities of lead and my dad ordered it shut down and the FBI guy in charge said he'd take it under advisement and dad said shut it down or I come back with Marshalls and put you in cuffs. OSHA trumps FBI.

How would a gun range not have a bunch of lead? Do you mean vaporized and in the air/water or something?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The one with audio is even better because the truck owner keeps bitching and throwing out insults like "and you call yourself an operator?! Better not scratch my truck!"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I was going to ask how impending drowning is a sex thing, then I remembered the deviantart thread is a thing

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But guys you're totally not listening!!! A hobbyist convention took down the video where Adam was talking about it and that 10000% means that he was lying. It had nothing to do with them just not wanting to deal with bullshit nuisance lawsuits about defamation!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Listen buddy, we all know that chart is written by the wussies at the insurance companies. I've been operating this thing for years, I know what it can *really* do

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Safety interlocks always work

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

WTC should be revised up to account for its demolition, too

The demolition crew had a 100% death rate on the job, that's what you get for hiring non-union and not following osha regulations. I heard they didn't even have the pepper permits or insurance!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The wording is too vague, it's too easy for drivers to think it's a generic warning like "any overheight vehicles must turn". It should be something like "You are overheight. Turn now." Or at least "Bridge is 11'8". No trucks."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I poured hot (in both meanings) sauce that had just been simmering into pre-warmed glass jars. One of the jars wasn't warmed enough, and it literally exploded in my hand. It took a bit of finger with it, and it was deep enough that that part of my fingerprint never regrew

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Even if it's not load bearing there's still the issue of the vertical height changing enough to cause it to buckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/xgTmAG7.mp4