Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DrHammond posted:

I'm not even sure what half of what I just read was, but goddamn if I didn't read and enjoy every word of it.

:same:

I think I love any story where the word "pyrophoric" shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Elder Scrolls V

SKYRIM

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah definitely reads as if the truck is going to spray poo poo on you. Whether that's cow manure or rolled coal (that "Diesel Life") is unclear.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

New Battlefield game looking good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

The Guardian shared video of a burn over in action. Thankfully, the firetruck that was caught in it had safety devices for such an emergency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDM3ir3l5M

I'm actually really curious what the oxygen levels are after that flame front runs over you. Does anyone know if they stick to bottles for a bit or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kryostic posted:

Christ is that what they did to me when I went overseas once?
I can't see without my glasses and while my luggage was being scanned I was pulled to the side and they wiped what looked like mini coffee filters on my hands. They said I was good but they had taken me so far from my luggage (and glasses) that I couldn't tell where the hell anything was.

Yeah that's what that was

:hmmyes:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone have that script to make these videos embed at a sensible size in web browsers?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Contrary to what some people would have you believe, throwing your motorcycle batteries into the ocean is perfectly safe and legal!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean that really only looks like a 10-15 degree roll, not very close to tipping at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah no attempt to help, god drat

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's unfortunate neither of these transition into the Skyrim opening.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone tried thermite?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm the guy filming while driving, despite having another dedicated guy to film it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I actually think what they need is another engineering type to balance it out, then DoNotEat can go on engineering tangents with them too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Oh boy. New England is full of poo poo like that.
Warwick, RI: pronounced War-ick
Leominster, MA: pronounced Le-mon-ster
Billerica, MA: pronounced Bill-rick-a
Wareham, MA: pronounced Ware-um by many
Worcester, MA: pronounced incorrectly by all

Aren't these the 'correct' pronunciation in the sense that that's also how (I suspect) they're pronounced back in the old country?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lol I remember driving under that, what a day.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

When do you check to see if their shoes came off?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

The guy is coupling two cars together with a chain that the bumpers will keep tension on. Most (even Soviet) countries have used knuckle couplers of some sort for about a hundred years.

I don't remember why that particular train was still using such an old design, only that it was moving much faster than it was supposed to.

It's because he's British, and the British rail system has seen next to no investment for decades. There's weird obsolete poo poo all over the place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Don't think I've seen this one posted. The phone urgently ringing in the background is a nice touch.

https://youtu.be/xYu0f57XAz0

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GroverHaus is a DYI Building.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And made it really obvious it won't work a second time! A good hat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hello there

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well sure there’s that plus you’d have to aim for the canteen if you’re using .50 cal rounds and that’s not easy

:hmmyes:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I like the improvised social nature of it, but I just want there to be like 10% more engineering.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

that's early 90s BiLo house brand, bonus points that it was marked down for being about to expire when he bought it

Yeah unless American grocers are in the habit of printing nutrional info in French for some reason, that's definitely Loblaw's No Name.

#brands

e: oh yeah it even says No Name on it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

At a certain point the weight of the rope would pull in more rope, thus giving the illusion of a bottomless pit, no?

My thoughts exactly. There's enough momentum in the falling tape to pull more tape, since it's not really secured to anything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

grillster posted:

It's really screwing with me that there are mountains in the background. Then again I have never been to that part of Florida.

The portion of the video that's just firetrucks driving is what that part of Florida looks like. Assuming that crash footage is actually the incident in question, it definitely didn't happen anywhere near Eglin. Might have been an Eglin jet in Utah or something though?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

nuclear thread.

link?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

gently caress, they just wanted a sunken bathtub for the ladies.

Too much natural light there though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

McSpanky posted:

How do they map out the path, given that in 15 seconds they pass four forks where the wrong decision leads to inevitable death?

Fly it slightly higher first and learn the turns.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Xakura posted:

You know MFDs exist, right? This is a solved problem. Combined with some sort of hands-on control device with contextual inputs.

Yeah, and MFDs are exactly what NASA selected for use on Orion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Because they were driving to meet the schedule goal of getting there before the 60s were out. Redesigning for different filters certainly could have been done, but on a project where pounds and months matter, you don't do that, especially for something that may never come up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Mk. II sounding good!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Topical crosspost:

Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Not because they're particularly dangerous but people will go and gently caress with them, hitting them, kicking them over trying to open them up and that usually involves a trip to hospital unless it's a very cold day.

loving hell. This shouldn't surprise me, and yet it does.

Alternatively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liiVX55tJ7E

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want an OSHA-laden show to watch, try Canada's Worst Handyman. It's a show where they take people who are extremely bad at DIY and home repairs (either because they're scared to learn how to be self-sufficient or they think they're amazing but are actually incompetent and dangerous) and have them try to complete basic home renovation and repair challenges as you marvel at how bad they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6B5csEH3I

Yeah CWH is delightful, in that they are always provided with very clear instructions and often a lesson beforehand, and are usually still hopeless.

Worst Driver is decent too, though lots of countries have their own flavor of those.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I watched one season of worst driver where a crazy lady kept complaining that she was getting blood poisoning and needed to go home but the rules of the show meant that only one person could go home. If the rules of the show are so strict that even a medical emergency can't let someone just get off the show, what happens if multiple people get injured? Do a quick triage and say "This guy is the most injured, take him in the ambulance. The one isn't so bad, we'll send him to the hospital on next week's episode, as long as he does the best at driving through the foam arches."

They have legit kicked people off the show before, i remember one old lady got the boot because she revealed she was not taking the medication her license required, and drat near had a heart attack as a result. The host refused to get in the car with her again, so she was gone.

I think one of the young guys got kicked out for being a hotdogging jackass too. And after all the illegal poo poo he's done I think he still has his Alberta license too :smith:

Conversely there have also been episodes where everyone was so terrible that nobody graduated, so really I don't know that they insist on sticking to the formula that rigidly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ika posted:

Since we are going back to this, why did they miss the chance to call it "Canada's least handy man"?

Because it was developed as a sister show to Canada's Worst Driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Uthor posted:

One of the later episodes had a guy refusing to do any work until they showed him how the tools worked so he wouldn't be scared around them. Yeah, I think they needed to do that day 1, showing how all the basic hand tools work and giving general safety instructions around the more advanced stuff before they could get proper training on it.

Yeah this was insane. "Of course I can't handle a drill, you haven't showed me how to use a table saw yet!"