Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stealie72 posted:

I got a pink knife when I was a cub scout leader for the same reason.

The kids would always ask why I had a pink knife, but they never asked to borrow it.

I painted a pink band on all my sockets and wrenches and dipped the handles of all my other tools in pink paint.

It really is effective when you work with a bunch of macho idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pile Of Garbage posted:

In development testing at White Sands it failed in some fun ways:

Both this and FuturePastNow's clip are from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9mvLFNqMQ

Film of Sprint launches always looks fake. It accelerates unnervingly quickly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nenonen posted:

Jesus, why didn't you send the union after them

hello let me guess, unionizing is treated as a capital offence

I worked for UPS for not quite four years, and did basically everything short of drive trucks. Different facilities with different locals have different relationships with management. I was local 769, and the kind of poo poo upthread would absolutely not have flown. We had an excellent relationship with management, in that they expected a certain level of productivity, and in exchange, we expected actual adherence to safety rules and regulations, and not just lip service. Lock-out-tag-out was universal, and the union would frequently stand in disciplinary meetings for people walking on moving belts or breaking jams (with their hands) on moving belts and essentially agree with management that the individual in question is a dumb poo poo and deserves to be reprimanded.

That said, that kind of environment only exists when the union officials and members MAKE it exist, which can be a tough sell. (loving right-to-work states.) My current union, despite having EXTREMELY high membership percentages and being a far more permanent career workforce is extremely apathetic, and it kinda drives me insane.

Your union is what you make it, and is your first line of defense against your employer’s indifference. OSHA only gets involved after you get ground into a fine paste by machinery.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I got the 2 things I needed from UPS: Tuition reimbursement and 5+ years of management experience on my resume. I just had to almost die a couple of times to get it. (I'm talking about YOU, exploding box of rimfire bullets!)

I was on the sort aisle one night and got showered in dildos when a box of them broke open on a transfer belt above us.

Working in a UPS hub is an experience.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Outside on the ramp you are constantly praying that all of the hundreds of drivers are paying attention and aren't zoned out.

Nothing is more dangerous than a cargo forklift driver at MIA.

Nothing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I expect the few seconda after that photo functioned like getting objects stuck in each other in 2000s physics engines, and ended with both of them being ejected into the stratosphere

Or falling through the ground. There is no other way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

The FAA can’t use Jerry’s videos against him and are unwilling to interview witnesses.

Nothing will change till he craters, and if he’s the only casualty (we can hope), they’ll sweep it under the rug.

Jerry is friends with someone at the FSDO. That’s the only explanation I can think of.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryrobots posted:

Every once in a while, the top will come off one. It's pretty rare and it is usually accompanied by a lot of fire and sometimes the flying lid taking the power line with it (being still attached and all) and causing a larger outage and more fire. Usually a protective device will open before a transformer builds enough internal pressure to actually blow up even if there is an internal fault.

It's more likely that you saw/heard an expulsion fuse blow. They are very loud. Even louder when you close it from close range not expecting it to blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROpFHJPbg1Q

Had a transformer/pole fire in my backyard a few months ago. The contractor who was working on the pole at the time had a real bad day.

(He was fine, but the utility was NOT AMUSED by his gently caress up, failure to call emergency services, and failure to use basically any PPE.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KoRMaK posted:

i dont really ever want to be in the military but god drat when I see air fire fighting or bush pilots doing poo poo like that do i wish i had the experience the military woulda given me for free to be good enough to do that poo poo

...is there a private sector/non military way to get there?

Crop dusting. Air attack companies pull heavily from ex-military and the aerial application industry.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My dad had a very similar accident in the seventies, on a 750cc Honda hit by a drunk driver in a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville. Luckily, the speeds were quite a bit lower, but he still got to learn to walk a second time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grillster posted:

This has updates not even 45 days ago which just trips me out

And yet I still can’t play SimTower on modern hardware.

:argh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

Have you tried Yoot Tower? It seemed to be mostly the same.

Never been able to find a copy that worked. :(

16 months wasn’t enough.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BMan posted:

what the hell are they shooting, dragon's breath?

There’s next to no recoil, maybe some kind of flash and sound blank less-than-lethal?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

monolithburger posted:

Will my employer provide insulated turd handling gloves and fall arrest harness, or am I out of pocket on this?

edit: poo protective equipment

The employer provides a communal poop knife, all further PPE shall be provided by the employee.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

In 1988, his Samson – a 100-ton hydraulic jack which was connected to a turnstile such that, with each guest who entered the Newport Harbor Art Museum, timbers were rammed into the museum's supporting walls – was forcibly disassembled by the local fire department on the grounds that it was a safety hazard; the intent of the project had been that, "if enough people entered the museum, it would collapse".

gently caress that guy for ever and ever.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I love that the camera guy saw what was wrong, and instead of demanding immediate evacuation, moved around to get a better camera angle.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Moo the cow posted:

I hope that is an over-simplification, because 'well, we laid it out on a table and ran it a few times, unplugging a few things and it all seemed to work' seems somewhat lacking as a rigorous test methology.

It’s also from four or five years ago.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s hard to see in that particular photo, but the HZ-1 had coaxial rotors. One set stacked on top of another, turning in opposite directions. Kamov builds their helicopters that way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

My smoke detectors are wired into the house power, which is nice cause I never have to deal with the low battery beep, but it means that when about every other month they emit a single piercing beep at 3am it really weird me out.

my current theory is cosmic rays

Ummm. You know hard-wired detectors generally still have a battery, in case you have a fire with no power, right? Mine do, for instance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Antonymous posted:

:words: about stage/film lighting.

Has the LED revolution started to make any inroads into that field? I know in reef aquaria, LED lighting has all but completely replaced metal halide lighting, even for extreme intensity applications.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

i think this is called attempted murder?

https://i.imgur.com/rM2MzcH.mp4

(do not unmute)

No electrocution or HP injection injury, 1/10.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Xaintrailles posted:

A few seconds later there's a waterskiing autogyroboat that I would not get into at gunpoint.

That’s probably the safest thing in the entire video. I’d totally fly that thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Salmon do not give a gently caress.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A good portion of anti-GMO advocates think the foods you find in Whole Foods are “natural”, and not the direct result of thousands of years of deliberate genetic manipulation

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My friends and I used to have bottle rocket fights using snorkels as handguns.

We were smart enough to tuck the motor exhaust inside the pipe, though...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solid as gently caress, in-context.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Azathoth posted:

Someone once told me that the reason that Imperial measurements are fractional instead of decimal is that it's much easier for illiterate people to work with fractions, even if decimals are more precise. Not sure if it's true, but it sure makes a lot of sense.

Also an interesting reminder regardless, that for nearly all of human history, most everything was built by people who couldn't read or likely even do anything but the most basic of math.

You can get very close (certainly to within whatever tolerance you need for wood or stone working) to any arbitrary fractional measurement with nothing more than a single object of known dimension and a simple set of dividers. Decimal is a hell of a lot easier to work with now, but fractional makes a ton of sense in a pre-industrial, pre-precision-tools world.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B33rChiller posted:

After an appropriate interval, he shows up in the control room and signs off the checklist to say the system has been isolated by him. I do all the other isolations, sign the appropriate boxes, and remember that this individual is the laziest sack of poo poo I've ever had to work near. I call the bridge and ask them to check the indicator panel, and sure enough, it's all still live. Of course there was zero consequence for falsifying a safety checklist.

If the divers were contractors you probably could have just let the DM know, and that line would have a real hard time finding divers in the future. gently caress that guy forever and ever.

Thanks for the peek into alcoholism the cruise industry alcoholism! Great post.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snapping a main gear off and STILL NOT PROP STRIKING is the most AN-2 thing ever.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wolrah posted:

In 2012 when the Model S was released and the first Supercharger stations were deployed CHAdeMO was limited to 62.5kW DC charging and CCS only existed in prototype form. There was not an existing standard that fit their needs at the time.

I'd put the proprietary Supercharger plug in the same category as Apple's Lightning in that when it first shipped it could do things no standard offering could do, though the standards have since caught up, as opposed to a Sony Memory Stick type situation where they invented their own proprietary thing just because gently caress you.

e: f;b

To expand on this, Teslas are all fully J1772 compatible, they just use a different physical plug. A simple (cheap) adaptor and you can use J1772 equipment.

The problem is that Teslas are NOT CHAdeMO compatible, because that standard was developed largely after Tesla settled on their own DC charging standards. Because of this, the CHAdeMO adaptor needs a significant amount of electronics and software to translate between the car and the charge station. It also at some point in the past went from $450 to $605(!?!) new from Tesla.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Related, recip planes occasionally have the cabin air heat exchanger crack and let exhaust directly into the cabin.

“Cabin air heat exchanger” is a hilariously fancy way of saying “shroud over the exhaust manifold.”

Also, the potential danger of cracked manifolds letting CO into the cabin pales in comparison to the alternative, the Janitrol combustion heater. Those things give me the willies. All the CO danger, plus it’s a fuel line run directly into the people compartment!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do an offhand swipe with a smaller pizza paddle to repel any invaders before you swing the pizza polearm

Would pizza pikemen use a round pike square?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elviscat posted:

What the Christmas gently caress is happening in here?

https://youtu.be/fbfVGIBcD8c

Someone is recording the preflight test of the audio alerts. When you do the test, each box downstairs also performs it’s BIT (Built-In-Test) to ensure that the unit is functioning.

Lord Stimperor posted:

In regards to captains calling their crew pussies, here's a helicopter doing something good with toxic pilot masculinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z9HRC7hlU

Dude has balls that CLANK.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

I think the idea was that the thread was going in a bad direction.

I AM OBSERVANT

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kalleth posted:

Let's talk SCUBA rebreathers! The Everest thread went on a bit of a SCUBA derail, and I figured it'd fit here, too.

SCUBA diving is mostly safe, *so long as you do open water diving on basic, well tested kit, with a buddy & backups*. But there is a particular discipline of risk-takers called "technical divers" who will do all sorts; cave diving (that's a nope from me), decompression diving (where if you go up to the surface too soon your joints swell up with nitrogen and you end up dead or with joint pain for the rest of your life) or rebreather diving (where, instead of carrying tanks of breathing gas, you carry a 'scrubber' that removes CO2 and a much smaller tank of O2 that can be injected to make up the gas volume again).

Rebreathers in particular will kill you without warning, if the tiniest little thing goes wrong. Too much O2 in your mix? Oxygen toxicity, you seize and die. CO2 scrubbing fail? "the user will experience extreme respiratory distress, followed by loss of consciousness and death".

And of course, these are all controlled by computers.

bar88537 posted this, and it is a treasure of OSHA: https://www.deeplife.co.uk/files/How_Rebreathers_Kill_People.pdf

I’m fascinated by tech diving, particularly deep water trimix and rebreather diving.

That said, I’m never voluntarily making a dive that requires a deco stop. gently caress that poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Literally never gets old for me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm trying to see what kind of extinguisher that is. It almost looks like a CO2 one, if so it has like an 1/8 as much capacity as a dry chem extinguisher vs a class b fire. It certainly wasn't big enough for that amount of fuel even if he had properly discharged it all on the base of the fire instead of the underside lol.

Those small bottles also shouldn’t be relied on to put out much more than an office garbage can fire. Most of the (aviation) shops I’ve worked in have at least a pair of 50lb rolling extinguishers. Sometimes more, sometimes bigger.

Two is one, one is none, and all that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Artisan 100% hand-forged bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

haha back in the days of the GBS dildomancy thread I cast a six fluted end mill in super soft medical grade silicone. Think I gave it away in one of the GiP secret santas.

E: ahhh, there he is

:aaaaa:

This is art of the highest order.