Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Jobsite heaters drive me nuts. Where we work it doesn’t really get ‘that’ cold, but other trades drag these gently caress off large salamander heaters all over job sites. They are loving loud, dangerous as all hell, and only make you feel colder if you step out of its direct los.

Just wear some loving layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

If he had slid the rope through his belt before the bucket maybe he would have made it!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Renegret posted:

I have this discussion with my wife pretty often since she grew up out here and I grew up in the city, so what's absurd to me is completely normal for her.

Instead of dialing 911 and having 3 fire engines show up within 5 minutes, you call 911, have to wait for the county's singular fire marshall on staff to show up, decide that it's legitimate, then call in the volunteers.

My one takeaway is to never have an emergency, because I'm probably just going to die before help arrives.

Where are you that 911 doesn't immediately dispatch at least one truck upon a call? Even for full volunteer service that is usually pretty standard.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

How does a warehouse that size not have a dock to drive that thing off of? WTF

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yea blaming an unsecured load on a driver regardless of the reason is pretty dumb. That could just have easily been a minivan full o kids and you’d still slam on your breaks the same way.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Rollstock can only be secured with rubber friction pads on the floor.

I am not a truck fuckler in any way shape or form, but checking out: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers_Handbook_Cargo_Securement.pdf

page 68 looks like it was still a completely improper arrangement. From what I can see the rolls should have been in the nose of the trailer anyways or the trailer should have had some sort of void filler to get the load more centered if necessary.

Happy to be told how i'm wrong if so however.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

45000+ lbs of rolls can fit in the nose of the trailer (like they did here when the load shifted) as long as you don't mind blowing your tires and snapping a landing leg.

The friction pads are the OSHA/FMCSA-approved securement method for hauling 88"+ rollstock. Each of those rolls are 98" high and contain about 7 miles of paper, they simply have so much mass that the only way to reliably secure them is to use their own weight, regular load restraints and air bags won't do anything to stop them from shifting.

The really terrifying thing is how many owner operators I have seen delivering these that had no idea what was on their trailer.

Yea I feel this. Would strapping the individual rolls together have helped at all? Surely a few 4" straps around them could have helped a bit?

As for not knowing whats in the trailer, i'm surprised this doesn't have a special placard requirement due to the unique challenges in transporting them.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Yea I’d do the same.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Unless there was a person under there that they needed to rescue right that second that seems dumb as gently caress.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 looking good.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I don't get how that is even possibly a non-fatal accident.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Transporting livestock that way has gotta be illegal right?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I am totally not an engineer, but work in fire protection piping design so don't listen to a word I'm about to type, but I do spend a lot of time filling sprinkler pipe with compressed air.

I just googled industrial pigs and found this site
https://pigsunlimited.com/pigging-formulas.php

Which might have the answer you are looking for. I'm not sure that you should be looking for a constant pressure in PSI as much as a volume fill rate in something like GPM or CFM. As you want to push the pig down the chamber you need to fill up the clean side of the pipe volume to a certain pressure that will overcome the friction of the pig against the wall at a certain velocity. I went with the third link which is volume in cubic feet per minute and put in the numbers you gave, and added in a totally fake differential pressure of 10psi and a .16 feet per second and it came up with a reasonable 8.8 cfm (cubic feet per minute). What was your air source and how was it being regulated?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thinking about this a bit more, is there any chance that the pig was the wrong size? A poor fit could reduce the friction enough that it traveled way faster than expected?

I put the pipe into my cad program and am showing a volume of 20,820 gallons? What kind of device are they using to fill that entire space with compressed air in 7 minutes? That is a fuckload of CFMs even at basically no pressure.
edit: this is like 400 cfms at 1psi

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 13, 2020

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

McGavin posted:

If you plug 10 inches and 4700 feet into the Time of Pig Run calculator, the gallons per minute of liquid required to get a transit time of 7 minutes is around 2,750 gallons per minute. Since the calculator uses liquid (which is orders of magnitude less compressible than air) instead of compressed air, the PSI on the compressed air is going to be absolutely ridiculously high.

The rediculously high part is the issue I'm having since well a lot of large air compressors only come with so much CFMs (like a brief google search brings up 1600cfms on a mobile device) but even a big one would have a hard time getting 21K gallons of pipe over 80 psi in 7 minutes.

I feel like i'm missing something, but again I don't work in that specific industry.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

zedprime posted:

I am in team why do math he just shot a pipe pig out of a mile long pipe, but applying dynamics the pressure probably didn't get applied to the full length of the pipe. He might have been using something like a site air reservoir which will hold a shitload of air at compressor pressure and different utility users hook in and regulate down. Instead of doing math I'd find out what he was using, find the highest number it could have possibly been because buddy clearly didn't care or regulate it, and go from there.

It probably ran into the blockage early, buddy is like loving come on, cranked it up without a regulator, blockage is cleared and bang boom a pipe pig is now travelling an average of 8mph through a pipe. Like I'm asking for x-rays as soon as a mangled pipe pig comes out the other end as fast as a forklift. Like I bet there was vacuum and some back blast cause the pig just took the gently caress off.

Yeah, this feels gut right to me. Maybe it got a small way in before getting stuck and built up way to much pressure even if the in flow was the right CFMs. If there was no safety pressure relief that could go crazy high really fast if you are off a resevoir prefilled at 160 psi. Hey OP was the blown gasket at the near end of the pipe length?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Heh, I love playing with formulas that I have no idea are correct.

here is off the last link that I put in. Numbers make sense to me, so maybe it did get to around 80 psi?

The above shows that a 2000 cfm compressor will fill the volume to 80psi in 7 minutes. Kinda all works out.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

McGavin posted:

I got the same numbers with 20 PSI and a 500 cfm compressor, so we need to know the size of the compressor he was using.

Yeah, that makes sense since psi and cfm are directly correlated.

I was trying to more back figure how much of a cfm rated compressor would you need to get to the 80 psi in 7 minutes, which would be a 2000 cfm compressor.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Maybe a suspension spring for one of those mega dump trucks?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
“What do you mean there was supposed to be a safety pin?”

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The backbreaking nature of trades can also be mitigated partially , but to do so you have to find a company that values that. The amount of power tools available to basically make any job painless exist, they just need to be utilized.

I work in fire protection, and I always recommend it because it is the one mechanical trade that has a large compliance/inspection aspect that if you are intelligent you can segue into as you get older and get tired of lifting pipe.

In the end, the truth is everyone wants to be an engineer and get to design cool things, but there are less and less people who know how to put those things together. If you have a college level aptitude, but apply yourself to a trade you can basically write your own check once you make it past your apprenticeship.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah, there is no disputing the fact that the average age of tradesworkers is really high, and proficiency in computer use is low. Combine that fact with how mechanical trades are rapidly becoming more technologically complex, and there is a huge opportunity for college age kids to get in and grab high complexity skills to guarantee a career for a long time.

Just a personal example, we use windows surfrace pros with custom software for our inspection process, and one thing we just started doing is utilizing video conferencing on them so that if one of my teammates comes across something that looks weird we can just fire up a quick vid chat and I can see exactly what the gently caress is going on and solve a problem in minutes instead of hours sometimes.

We've even be doing the same with some more tech savy customers that can facetime in with their cell phone. Got a compressor that's acting funny? just facetime me and I can probably tell them which little valve to tighten and save them a whole service visit.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 16, 2020

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

is there a thread for info, anecdotes, questions about working in a trade? i have a bunch of questions but dont want to do it here.

There isnt. Ive always wanted to start one, but :effort:

If you make an a/t or something in BFC I’ll happily spend all day there though.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I love high expansion foam.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

I'm oscillating wildly between being furious at putting those kids at risk because at that age they are liable to do completely unexpected things at a moments notice, and being filled with happiness knowing that those kid's day is officially made.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
CBS is saying DOW chem has a primary plant right downstream of there? That sounds hilariously bad.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Wow that bridge joist is hosed.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Memento posted:

Who knows how much the float weighs, but the water cart on the back is a CAT 773E, 40,000kg unloaded. So at highway speeds, that's a hell of a lot of momentum. Astute observers will notice that they made it most of the way through the bridge before coming to a stop.

It doesn't look like there's concrete everywhere though, so maybe that bridge is just lower at one side? Still. S'hosed.

From looking hard at the shadows, the previous joists seem to still be straight so it looks to me like it must have just caught the edge of that last one by pure bad luck or a bump in the road.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Aramoro posted:

It's from Battletech, there's a faction called the Word of Blake. There are also a race of sentient birds, the only actual aliens in the Battletech universe. The birds are really dumb and serious business Battletech players hate them. So goons being goons when it came to Mechwarrior online would open matches shouting 'Squawk' in chat which pissed people off endlessnessly. A 'Squawk' in chat indicated something really dumb was about to happen in your game involving goons. It was hilarious.

Man those were good times. I wish I still had time for online video games.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

What did I even just watch? Was he mad she wasn't social distancing? Was that water? Wtf

I just watched this with my wife. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, his eyes were tracking the kids hands, and he was supposed to spray that on the hands and his brain was just somewhere else so when the kid put his hand on his face he just sprayed that direction.

My wife is not giving said benefit.

Jabor posted:

He's trying to check her temperature, but mixed up which hand had the thermometer and which hand had the spray bottle.

actually this makes even more sense. Poor kiddo.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

d3lness posted:

It's fine. You can't mess with plots you don't own anyway. It's easier than lifting your equipment every time you turn around.

I appreciate this post.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Well that person is certainly lucky they aren’t 6” taller

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
2142 was the best battlefield.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Here is a clip of it exploding a little. You can't really see anything but at about 0:52 it goes boom. Might be what led to them abandoning fighting the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK9-52OoZ2I

So is the ship a loss then? What kind of vessel was it?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Lol still at it? What’s left to burn by now? Or is it sustainable just on the steel if it got hot enough?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

This legit looks like it could have been fatal.

If the forklift motorcycle one wasn’t fatal then she should be just fine!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Platystemon posted:

That doesn’t look like the kind of tree that takes explosives to deal with.

Thats probably what the boss said to, which is why its still there!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

Hand carts typically have a brace on the back that means that when it's lying down, the handle is comfortably off the ground. On this one it's the legs about two-thirds of the way up.

It's made that way so that you can wrap your fingers around the handle and pick it up after loading it, but it also seems like it helps save your fingers in this case too.

The legs that were already massively bent off angle before this particular incident?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Zero One posted:

Is he wearing a baseball cap?

dude is wrangling a shark, pretty sure he can wear whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Wow, its hard to tell since Tainjin was at night, but this seems on par with that one if not worse. Not sure the dude filming from right next door would have survived something like that.