Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Nenonen posted:

Ditto for me in EU.

I wonder how well do you get paid for freelance mine clearing. Surely the landlord would feel obligated to pay you something.

"hey man look, I've known you for a long time and I know you need this job but I'm going to have to dock your pay if you don't stop spending so much time playing minesweeper ok?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

https://i.imgur.com/im51fL4.mp4
A wind turbine went haywire here in Denmark yesterday, and they stopped it by firing rockets with ropes attached at it which then got tangled up in the machinery and slowed it down (full vid in the link)

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/se-videoen-loebsk-vindmoelle-paa-mors-stoppet-med-noedraketter-og-reb#!/

I'm getting severe flashbacks to opening an exam paper and seeing a question like "how much rope would it take to stop a turbine with inertia X and blah blah" and not knowing what the gently caress.

edit: posts like this:

Sagebrush posted:

oh well fine if you're gonna be like that then i will point out that this post,

while correct in its conclusion, is also wrong because the 737-100 and -200 both have round engine nacelles (vs. the flattened ones on the later models) and lack the vertical stabilizer extension.

they would never be confused for a 757 because they are tiny little baby planes while the 757-300 is the longest longboi ever made, and the little turbojets on the early 737 are very distinctive.

but the post is still wrong

Give me a flash of insight into what I'd be doing if I'd stayed in engineering instead of becoming a (better paid) computer toucher. Good poo poo.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 31, 2019

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

You need to maintain eventual consistency on big events with time travel, everyone knows that.

So do 9/11 but crash into Trump.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Seems I'm a bit behind on this thread....

6669: position of the beast.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Holy poo poo that's a very small margin away from having their head exploded all over the crowd.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1324786234900795404?s=19

These loving things. I lived in a student flat that had one of these in addition to a woefully underpowered power shower and the thermostat in it was broken so if you didn't turn it off manually it would boil the tank and turn the place into a sauna. That happened at least twice.

That building was a deathtrap of old British utilities and fittings. The flat in the basement had a plumbing system that would back sewage up into the bath if too much went down the drains at the same time and our flat had a fuse box mounted on the skirting board that had chunks kicked out of it.

Also no central heating, only night storage radiators which should be in that twitter list as well as being both expensive and ineffective.

I lived in another place where there was a power shower that broke and started sparking so we just switched to those tap mixer things. This was 2006, they had not improved since the 70s.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Not quite that bad (except when it broke and shot sparks out) but same principal.

Actually I think it was technically an "electric shower" rather than a power shower, a power shower is just pumped to generate pressure rather than a powered in line heater.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I mean they had biplanes launching from/landing on zeppelins via trapeze so why not.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw

The thing at 1:50 is the most hair-raisingly ill-advised thing I've seen today

Jesus christ it keeps getting worse. I thought at the start "well he's pulling it through with a rope so at least he's not got his hands near the blade" and then...

Also nice safety Crocs.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I recently learned that OSHA has religious exceptions for hard hats for Sikhs and Old Order Amish. https://www.osha.gov/enforcement/directives/std-01-06-005

I suppose a turban might provide some protection against blows to the head, if you were lucky.

You can absolutely get hard hat turbans. Hard turbans I guess now I think about it.

Edit; wait hang on did I imagine this?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm so glad I hadn't imagine this completely as otherwise I'd have to examine what my subconscious is doing.

All Day I Dream About Sikhs.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jesus Christ

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i'm not gonna post the horrible story of the nutty putty cave guy. instead, have this awesome story of ted the caver:

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

yes it is literally an angelfire site. it's worth reading. trust me

drat this is old. Didn't this end/have a version where it ended with I found the camera with one last picture and had some goblin thing in it dun dun duhhhh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

zedprime posted:

This took off as an early form of creepy pasta including people having no idea why it works as a 2001 era blog. I think the two main heavy handed copycats were one that added a really bad photoshop at the end which may have been based on the next one, and one that wrote out a really hilarious ending, changed some random details, and was formatted to look like a text dump of a novel with the copyright backdated to 1987 in some weird attempt to make the blog look like a new fangled copycat.

Yeah the one with the bad photoshop is what I remember, but maybe as a "here's the lost chapter!" thing after the original.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

What a boner on that guy.

Hey I'm right here

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

New Frogger: world edition looking intense

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Knormal posted:

He should have honked his horn at the birds to scare them out of his path.

If they were geese though that would just make them angrier/hornier.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 26, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Vlaphor posted:

Attach everything together first and it's much easier to weld.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rnide5gTFP1w5pr9j.mp4

*Lou Bega voice* ladies and gentlemen, this is CHERAMIC BOTRUC number 39

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Tesla fsd should be banned as unsafe (taps gang tag), but that guy was hosed anyway because getting into an accident in the lane and not immediately running to the side to get off the road is an absolute death wish.

Anyway my contribution to road accidents is that one time I was driving a borrowed Kia and the bonnet flipped up at 80mph because it hadn't been latched properly by the owner, and let me tell you that people phone that poo poo in *fast*. The patrol guys were there before we'd even managed to call them after pulling over.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 2, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Tesla's don't use radar because Elon is a moron, so they absolutely 100% should not be relied upon to stop for anything at all, and that goes double for emergency vehicles and children.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Reality finally catches up with early SA and develops pusher/shover robots.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

As someone who had an improperly latched bonnet flip up and smash into the windscreen at 80mph, this man is an everyday hero.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

One of the few Car Talk puzzlers I remember went something like:

A guy is driving on the highway and Something Happens. He didn't hit anything in the road or the air, no other vehicles were involved, and nothing happened to the engine or tires. He takes the car to a shop and it's immediately written off as totaled with no inspection. What happened?

And the answer is that the hood flipped up at highway speeds and folded in the A pillars.

Fortunately not that bad (cracked but didn't shatter) but I couldn't see poo poo.

But I will always be proud that the highway patrol guy looked at it and said "most people just smash into the central barrier or lose control completely when this happens, nice one".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mycomancy posted:

Aaaaaahahahahaha mother of God I love it! Just how in the gently caress did everyone not die in the 20th century is beyond me...

The Jam had it right in 1979 with Saturday's Kids:

Paul Weller before he became a dick posted:

Their mums and dads smoke Capstan non filters,
Wallpaper lives 'cause they all die of cancer

It apparently just took the rest of the world another 15 years to get the message.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I actually went "holy poo poo!" out loud.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This has got me having a serious think about where the pipes are running internally but I think the answer is a pretty simple "straight up inside on wall from boiler/entry to the highest bathroom" and everywhere else under the floor. Probably.

Oh and also that I need to check if the stopcock under the sink that you can't physically reach because the cabinets were installed by a moron is actually the right one, though it's probably easiest to turn it off in the street away.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

As someone that inline skates on streets, this is terrifying. If he goes even slightly off center or picks up a speed wobble (probably less likely with four points of contact) he's gonna go down, and will have next to no braking ability. I guess he'd slide though so less chance of road rash, and the angle might make it look steeper than it is.

Still, hats off 10/10.

e: on second watch it's super steep at the start but tapers off and then slopes up a bit. But doing it wet is nuts.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 10, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Put flaming shots in a rocks glass and you can just cover it with your hand to put it out. The vacuum it creates will make the glass suction itself to your hand if the seal is good.

A guy at work tried this but sticking it to his chest but it went wrong and he burnt a nipple off (allegedly).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Revolution 909 remake looking..... radishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uURB-vo9rZ4

Peep the timewarp back to the time of big trousers and bucket hats :pcgaming:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Carter the Stoppable Wet Machine

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

poor freckles, thought of knights and died charging into a line of pikemen

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

That looks like a good way to gently caress up your brick.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Well done 47, they won't find him there.

Target killed, accidental kill, body hidden, +65xp.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Just put it upright on its end and take the top off the gate to get it through smdh.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

holy poo poo the second one is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in this thread

I defy anyone to post anything dumber

Don't worry, he's wearing ear defenders!

Worst of all it's not even doing a good job splitting the log.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Hell, that's not even touching the iceberg's tip on how messed up & literally toxic that whole shoot was. Tin Man was hospitalized from the aluminum-dust paint they used, the Wicked Witch got severely burned in the trap door/smoke scene, just all sorts of stuff people either didn't care about or didn't know how bad it was.

The Wonderful Wizard of OSHA

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

"The Device" is fine I think, I'm mostly upset by the lack of any browning on that meat-like product.

That's why you drink 6 pints of lager before you eat it. The alcohol sterilises it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Is it OSHA to mention I've never had a kebab whilst drunk?

:dafuq:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't always say "holy fuckin' poo poo" when I watch one of these videos but I said it for this one.

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1619205682888318978?s=20&t=I-XLS1hjnT4fucgKLKPe-Q

https://twitter.com/automythopoeia/status/1619302269643788292?s=20&t=I-XLS1hjnT4fucgKLKPe-Q

EDIT: I can't stop replaying it and laughing.

at first I thought "ha that is a super dangerous machine and people have been throwing trash into that weir..HOLY gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

I heard or read somewhere that since the XC90 was introduced in the UK, its had literally zero fatal passenger crashes. Zero. This sort of crash is also relatively uncommon, because that pole would need to be approximately bridge height to hit the cab of the average F-150 :v:

EDIT

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/british-volvo-xc90s-have-seen-zero-crash-fatalities-in-16-years/

:colbert: thats about as OSHA as it gets :colbert:

DOUBLE EDIT

That article is from 2016 but the record seems to stand? :shrug:

That's because it's loving huge and just crushes everything around it.

It is the epitome of "I bought the biggest car I could to feel safe, gently caress everyone else around me *crushes three other cars while reversing out of the school car park*"