Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I feel like I've been told the answer before but what exactly happened there?

Looks like a minor gas explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Nice try, but that's clearly a super long exposure and that thing is only moving at a couple of rpm.

...right? ...right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

Just toss a hunk into the oven?

Pretty much. Highly radioactive material is basically a rock that feels hot to to the touch forever. It's like a magic source of free energy, until your entire family dies and a government containment crew liquidates your house.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Hang on, let’s take this to Europa, get through all that ice no problemo

Pretty sure there are serious proposals on the table right now to do exactly that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Dumb question- why don't they put the rolls on the flat ends so they aren't capable of rolling?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
It's not boring, it almost triggered a major incident and was only covered up because Russia got us to assassinate a rogue special forces soldier

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's a whole lotta people who did not need to be near that work area.

Yes, for example, everyone who planned and executed that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain posted:

The cranes already coming off the ground as it lowers it I think. How do you gently caress up weights that badly?

Yep. From 0:15-0:20 or so you can see the crane is already tilting, then briefly recovers as the wall touches down before it starts to topple.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

"OK, that wasn't great, but I can give you a second chance if you promise to carefully make sure that-"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

UraniumAnchor posted:

Quick napkin math says after a 7 story free fall (~23 meters) you'd be going about 70kph, which is just this side of 'rough but survivable' with what amounts to a head on collision like that.

Tom Cruise does this in one of the Mission Impossible movies and I've always wondered if him surviving was realistic. I guess it is!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Apparently anchor chains aren't actually attached to ships and there's usually only a hand-operated braking mechanism that prevents the entire thing from just violently throwing itself overboard (As the video shows).

If this is the case, how does the anchor stop the ship from drifting around when it's used properly?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm not up on my memes, is this Euro Truck Simulator or Star Citizen?

It's a JPEG that was given to you for free, so it sure isn't Star Citizen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Feels like all of Russia could have its own dedicated thread and I'm pretty sure there already is or used to be one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Zipperelli. posted:

Tell me about how you all pump gas

On a treadmill

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Big Dick Cheney posted:

It's kind of impressive that the truck could pull that trailer at all.

The article posted earlier said that the unloaded trailer alone is probably about 140% of the truck's rated capacity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Weird omission

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
You can still get borosilicate cookware, there's just almost no correlation between that and the Pyrex brand any more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Guess I've been wrong all these years about what they mean by "tractor pull"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Your party arrives in the realm of a powerful necromancer where the undead are on strike over pay and benefits.

I've always thought you could get a decent fantasy series out of following the magic lawyers who write and negotiate the pacts wizards make with demons. Necromantic contract law.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Erisian Automata posted:

Don't ever buy one of these, even if it's on deep discount and you think it's hilarious. https://www.tanga.com/deals/793a7fbb18ec/dc-comics-world-tech-batman-3-5ch-rc-helicopter

You just might accidentally fly it into someone's hair, at work, who you are currently dating.

The only drone you should buy because you think it's hilarious is this one ThinkGeek used to sell (RIP)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Omnikin posted:

Putting out a request for any great dramatic articles on OSHA disasters. I know I've read a few in this thread's history on the El Faro sinking, the Challenger disaster and the hurricane hunters plane in... Hugo? I believe.

I love those articles.

A fun story in which no one dies: the Gimli Glider. A series of fuckups leads to a 767 taking off with about half the fuel it was supposed to have and running out at altitude.

quote:

Pearson and Quintal immediately began making preparations for a one engine landing. Then another fuel light lit up. Two minutes later, just as preparations were being completed, the EICAS issued a sharp bong--indicating the complete and total loss of both engines. Says Quintal "It's a sound that Bob and I had never heard before. It's not in the simulator." After the "bong," things got quiet. Real quite. Starved of fuel, both Pratt & Whitney engines had flamed out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Not a shutter per se, but cheap CCD cameras do have that effect with rapidly moving objects. It takes a certain amount of time to move the image from the sensor silicon into the rest of the camera circuitry and it's still capturing light while that happens.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

Shock can be like that. Give him thirty seconds.

I think the question is, how are his legs and pelvis still functional mechanically?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/chockenberry/status/1222591558928588800

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
How much should I tip the wall after hitting it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

Beer labels are all kinds of ridiculous because they all go through one guy who makes up arbitrary rules so kids don't drink the beer on accident.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3034389/this-one-guy-approves-30000-beer-labels-a-year-and-brewers-hate-him

(A less googly-eyed Santa was later approved.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
I got swabbed once because the TSA guys spotted my Casio watch

MattO posted:

prob why Mayhem has to get their severed pig's heads where they play since they can't bring them as carry-on

Good for them, local sourcing is responsible and eco-friendly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/f05crh/the_ceiling_in_our_apartment_is_radiating_temps/

https://i.imgur.com/GjmTILt.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

What, you've never seen an alligator clamp before?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Whatever the male equivalent of sploosh is

Which I guess is also sploosh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

MF_James posted:

Got a small shard of metal stuck in my eye when I was like 15, pretty sure that is what started the whole thing.

:same: except it was running eye-first into a tree branch (a tiny one, so I just had to wear a patch for a few days). No contacts or LASIK for me, I'm gonna die wearing glasses

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
You'd think if that was a major problem someone would have invented an adhesive that doesn't cause it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i figure the power management firmware is probably smarter than me about this by now, but what's the actual best practices?

This is pretty much correct and what you're doing right now is safe. Allow the battery to get very low once or twice a month to keep it healthy and fully discharge it if you know the device is not going to be used for several months.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

evil_bunnY posted:

fully charged lipo burn *real* good

A fully charged high-capacity smartphone battery contains several tens of kilojoules of energy, comparable to a small cup of gasoline or a few grams of TNT. Letting all that out in a few seconds instead of the designed several hours is Not Good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

This is the greatest thing since... uh... hmm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
That's got to smell amazing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Make sure to wear your N69 masks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

Well at least it lands back on its wheels so they can try again.

I wish the gif kept going so we could see if the throttle was still open when it landed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Before he died, Terry Pratchett asked that his hard drives be taken out and crushed with a steamroller, and so they were.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

in the old days the cops would always throw that poo poo in the slag furnace. Throw confiscated weed and other poo poo they couldn't sell or smoke themselves, too. Industry really is on a decline.

That exhaust vent must have been a real popular hangout spot

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
The U2 does not have a drop nose and as a result the pilot can't see the runway at all when landing. Fortunately its airspeed is so low at that point that a second pilot goes out in a chase car and follows you down the runway guiding you in.