Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's a hell of an act. What do you call it?

also hell of an OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'll have you know this organisation is actually made up of people so it can't be biased

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I thought Shami did great on Marr, taking a really serious position on the current justice system without being on drawn on this specific case, because it's too early to know anything. She's really good at addressing gotcha questions completely sincerely

I wish they'd turn Johnson's mic down while he's ranting over Marr though. It wouldn't prevent him dragging the interview to a halt but at least people would be able to hear the questions he's not answering instead

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

what are people saying in response to Labour cutting the married couples' allowance? The whole "nobody earning under 80k will pay any more tax" line is really powerful, so anything that contradicts it ends up being just as powerful as a result. When a lot of people think they're gonna be worse off by specific amount it kinda rings hollow

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ it's called pouring a sip out for your homies, RIP big mags

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"... And replacing it with something more inclusive." It'll cover civil partnerships as well, not just christian heterosexuals.

But nobody's suggested replacing it, right? The grey book just says it's being scrapped

It's a direct hit to a lot of people and "but this is fairer" won't go down well with a lot of them because all they'll see is that number, and when Labour's making a claim of "nobody earning under £80,000 will pay more tax" it starts to look dodgy. I've had relatives complaining about it - obviously you can talk about all the other benefits and general improvements in society and the economy, but a lot of them just see that number and the fact it contradicts the Labour line

it just kinda feels like a glaring weak point in a solid pitch, that's why I was wondering what responses people have had success with when it comes up

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 2, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gibbo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

can't help feeling a little sorry for mike gapes (even though he's mike gapes) seeing how much he bought into the whole TIGCUK idea, so sincere with the lanyards and everything. Then all the young'uns abandoned him and took their cachet to the lib dems. I wonder if they invited him...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I've looked and can't find anything.

Labour needs to sort itself out with this kind of thing. The one we get asked about a lot in our semi-rural constituency where we have quite a lot of people who are in relative poverty with small incomes but who have maybe a field attached to their home where they've lived 60 odd years is 'garden tax' as the MSM call it or 'land value tax'. Labour can't just write one liners like this without understanding how the words get twisted by MSM and frighten the horses.
They better make sure the £80k thing works! (And if that involves pointing out that there are people on apparently small incomes who do have a large income because of dividends, so be it).

yeah it's frustrating, I can kinda see it with what you're talking about (it won't affect as many people so they can maybe get away with it and treat it as a detail if it comes up) but the marriage allowance is gonna directly impact so many people, surely. It feels weird that there isn't a line to take that's out there being pushed

The idea that the economy's getting a huge amount of investment and transformative policy, and some people will pay a little more but there'll be huge benefits financial or otherwise, that makes sense and I think a lot of people would accept that - but the simple "nobody under 80k" line is fantastic, until it's shown to be untrue and then it gets a bit awkward

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

inkjet_lakes posted:

Hearty lol at a monumentally hacked-off Liz having to do some hastily arranged public appearance tomorrow to dispel the rumours

actually she'll probably have a cheeky lie-in

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bump_fn posted:

since there are a lot of londoners itt does anyone have a good vet in the clapham/battersea area they can recommend

:ohdear:

hope probecatte is ok

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bump_fn posted:

shes fine i just moved and dont want to travbel far w a cat to the old vet

:haibrow: :cabot:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In a weird, roundabout way most people are going to be too poor to really benefit from it anyway - It only kicks in if you're in a marriage where one of you makes less than 10k a year. Everyone is entitled to their first 10k of earnings tax free. The Married Person's Allowance lets you transfer any of your leftover allowance to your partner. HMRC applies that 10k (or however much is left) tax free to your partner's income, and you get about £250 a year if the entire £10k allowance is transferred, i.e. if one of you makes zero income.

So to get the allowance, you'd have to be in a marriage where one person doesn't work or makes less than 10k a year, and the other person can afford for them not to work. And if that's the case, £250 a year is chump change. If you work part time it'll be even less.

Sorta, you can transfer £1250 of your personal allowance to your partner, saving them up to £250 (the 20% tax they don't have to pay on it) depending on whether their income maxes out that new allowance or not

I dunno, my parents are retired and I'm pretty sure they use it, because my mum's pension income is a lot lower than my dad's - that's probably not an unusual situation

And even for people who are working, they don't necessarily have low incomes or less work by choice, and that £250 or whatever might be space they can't make in their budget - or at least don't feel they can give it up comfortably, £250 could mean missing a payment that creates a debt spiral, or being unable to afford a dentist appointment, or not being able to fix a car that's been playing up...

The higher (or sole) earner in the family only needs to be on £14000 a year to see that full benefit, and losing it could really make a big difference at that income level - that's why it feels like bad optics when your big message is "everything is fully costed and only the wealthiest will pay more and we're on your side". And it's an easy target for Tories to say "oh no we won't take money from you like that", it's a lie but it appeals directly to people's skills wallets. It feels really weird

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I know it's nothing new but I really wish people like Marr would call out the Tories spinning austerity as simultaneously good and also a thing that needs to be reversed through massive investment. If the effects of the cuts are bad then it wasn't smart and prudent economics was it?!

Johnson's even doing it with brexit now. Smart tory government fixed economy so we can invest. Also economy is dragging and we need brexit to fix it before we can invest. Just call it out one time that's all I need :sludgepal:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quote:

Facebook has banned a Conservative party campaign advert that used footage of the BBC’s political editor Laura Kuenssberg and News at 10 host Huw Edwards, saying it violated the corporation’s intellectual property rights.

The clips, which were used without permission from the BBC, featured Kuenssberg saying the words “pointless delay to Brexit”, though she in fact appears to have been quoting Boris Johnson. Edwards is then shown talking about “another Brexit delay” followed by shaky footage of opposition leaders set to threatening music.

quote:

On Thursday the BBC demanded that the paid-for advert, which targets older male voters, be taken down. “ This is a completely unacceptable use of BBC content which distorts our output and which could damage perceptions of our impartiality,” they said.

However, the Tories rejected the BBC’s request, saying it was “clear the footage was not edited in a manner that misleads or changes the reporting”.

:hmmyes:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And if you are paying for adverts you need to be absolutely scrupulous about the paid coverage - putting a central point and a radius around it is absolutely NOT sufficient. I have spent hours on google earth with the official constituency KLM file mapping postcodes to make sure we don't go over into neighbouring constituencies.

is this something scripting would help with? are you trying to grab all the postcodes within the consituency boundaries, but excluding any that cross into a neighbouring area?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

remember that America's Army team FPS game where whichever team you were on you always saw your side as US soldiers and the enemy as the bad terrorists

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know to be honest! I'm not really sure how to use scripting esp not with Google Earth. I've done it now anyway for our constituency, but it might be something useful for when/if the boundary changes ever kick in.

oh I just wondered if it would be useful to try and automate it, so other constituencies could get all the postcodes easily or whatever

I'm not sure how easy it is to get the data but might be doable maybe, possibly

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Absolutely could be useful. I have no idea how other CLPs manage this!

I guess if you're in cities it's much easier, but in a CLP like ours: we have a CLP boundary containing 5 towns, part of a city, and a boundary not contiguous with the county boundary (so we have councillors who are in another county for local elections but in our CLP for general elections), and loads of rural areas it's quite complicated.

if you got all postcodes for a consituency, then filtered out any that are also present in the adjacent constituencies, would something like that work? you just want a final list that avoids advertising outside the constituency, right

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also it was a direct recruitment tool for the US Army

It sure was!

At least they were open about it, instead of pushing it through involvement with Call of Duty and the like. Simpler times

e- I'm eating and there's a cat here, convenient!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 3, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Jezza and Her Maj will actually get on quite well. I don't know why. A feeling in my bones.

It's cos jez is cool and nice and she'd probably appreciate someone who's not being a weirdo around her for once

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

oh hey it's that pollster pissflaps always used to post

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

strong Kirby energy on this one

this is really weak though, it's like someone said earlier - he's basically giving up and doing a "it's not our fault here's the interview I WOULD have given" dance because of all these accusations of bias. The BBC could easily limit the Tories' access so there are at least consequences for ducking out, but they won't so we get this pretend interview instead to give the illusion of holding him to account

but oh no he brought up all the things that people bring up all the time! how will johnson withstand this brutal takedown :cloud:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I know the Andrew Neil thing is saving face and it's about all they can do now, and it's better than nothing - it's just all the comments like "wow so powerful" like they didn't allow him to wriggle out of the jam easily and go on Marr anyway. People don't want to hear those questions for the millionth time, they want to see them actually put to Boris Johnson by someone who'll make an attempt at nailing him down

the real power move would be to have Jez back on to answer the questions on Johnson's behalf if he won't do it himself

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

GlyphGryph posted:

Yep, I was told I was gonna be ignored from now on because I "keep speaking over Jewish voices".

I don't think there was every any real chance here.

you could just send her links from jewish voices (including JVL) but yeah, if someone's on the "Jeremy didn't bow deeply enough therefore he hates are troops" level they already have a bias and just want to read confirmation from everything, and evidence probably won't matter

I think all you can really do is start from the position that Corbs is a committed anti-racist campaigner, he's dedicated his life to it. He pursues causes out of principle even when they're not fashionable or politically advantageous. He has a record of standing up for and with people from all communities, including Jewish people and groups. It's one of his strengths, which is exactly why he's being attacked and undermined on it by political opponents who claim to care about antisemitism, but only if it relates to Jeremy Corbyn or the Labour Party since he took over. They're happy to shut out dissenting Jewish voices and stoke a climate of fear just to finally get to him, meanwhile the Tories erect a statue of a hitler superfan and it's not even worth commenting on

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

wish corbs had gone a bit harder on the Tory record and how all their promises are at best undoing the damage they caused over the past decade

that Brexit diplomat resigning question was great though, thanks Nick Robinson

:pilot:: someone or other resigned today saying she couldn't peddle half truths anymore
:supaburn:: ah well I don't know who you're talking about
:pilot:: ..........
:supaburn:: oven ready brexit jeremy still won't tell us

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

aromatherapy is it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

another thing to remember is this is an online world now, and racist abuse knows no borders. the original story about Labour antisemitism (before it became about the story itself and the fear it generates) related to internal disciplinary procedures, and abuse that some MPs (mostly to the right of the party, so the left was suspected) were receiving - particularly online

obviously when you know about the chans with their extreme racism (especially against jews) and far-right tendencies, and their love of organising to attack people en masse... it's very likely that a visible jewish person online will be subject to racism from somewhere, and prominent figures especially. throw in the fact they can troll and pretend to be a leftist while letting loose with the bile and hatred, to really cause some trouble, and it becomes a political act as well. so it's not surprising that some prominent jewish MPs (especially women) get targetted with this stuff, they're an absolute focal point for these fuckers

that's not to say there's no other antisemitism - obviously there is, and it's poisonous and needs dealing with like any other racism. the trouble is that never really gets any attention, nobody seemed to care until this whole Labour thing blew up, and it's still only Labour's issue that gets the focus, and there's a lot of that. So because it's a big story, it might feel like antisemitism is more widespread than it actually is, but it's also a weak point that attracts antisemites from all over the world to get stuck in, so we do end up with more of it anyway

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think the issue with antisemitism is that it gives people moral cover to not vote for Labour, or to actively vote for the Tories despite their record and policies. People might not actually care about antisemitism, but they'll feel good claiming to, and it can be a powerful argument against Labour supporters

I dunno how much this translates to a secret vote in a polling booth, but it sure gives people a stick to wear down people who actually do care about racism. If conservatives can suppress the vote a bit (especially among idealistic young people) then it helps them out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sinky posted:

Wasn't that found to be not true?

It might be talking about the CAA analysis - there was one from 2017 (I think) that showed antisemitic attitudes were most prevalent on the right. So this time around they combined antisemitic statements with criticism of Israel and wouldn't you know it now the far left has the highest number

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Half of them look badly photoshopped in. Either that or they're disappearing Back to the Future style :haibrow:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Is it just me, but based on the phone grabbing situation and how nervous he looks and how he's avoiding all public appearances...

He looks like he's bricking it.

What's not being said here, is Labour closer?

I reckon it's partly because he didn't know how to handle it - he sticks to this tedious script all of us can probably repeat in our sleep now, but he didn't have a pivot for this so he just did the equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears

he bought himself a bit of time by snatching the phone in a panic, and when he brought it out he was less shook and had a line that covered basic sympathy and segueing into his FUNDING OUR NHS line. He also had to handwave it away and say most people have a great time in hospital though so he still blew it, but his mind was a blank before, real deer in the headlights stuff

for a change, mouse tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htkR3mDZMgY

mouses getting better housing than tory britain

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 9, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

nice of Labour to shell out for a taxi for that guy with a bike though, the luxury communism has already begun

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RabidWeasel posted:

I really hope the guy who wrote that note feels loving bad about it

he ended up unsealing the corbyn though, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

UKMT - You wouldn't nationalise a sausage

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tomberforce posted:

Has anyone got any better strategies for dealing with patronising Tory family members telling me that I don't remember the 70s and the 3 day week and that I should never vote Labour as a consequence?

I'm concious that my breathless babbling about media ownership and bias, propaganda and plots to undermine public ownership can come off as a bit tin foil hat (even though it's all true) so need to simplify it a bit.

Ultimately I don't think they'll ever come around till the services they take for granted are gone and it affects them :(

You can point out their owns are actually about the tory government but that won't win them round obviously

Just try and make a positive case - that Labour is the only forward-thinking party, with an actual vision for lifting everyone up and taking the future and its challenges head on. The only party that recognises how badly the country has been failed, how things aren't working, and has the drive and ambition to actually change the way things are done and transform us into a modern, world-leading nation. To give younger generations not only hope for the future, but also turn it into an opportunity to create a successful, better, fairer, cleaner world

The Tories are just spinning their wheels, refusing to look ahead, insisting they're right and know what they're doing while the country and economy crumble under their watch. The extent of their ambition is undoing some of the damage they've already caused in the past 10 years. If anyone's stuck in the past, it's them, and that's a hell of a lot more relevant than whatever happened 50 years ago

(the Greens obviously have good policies too but "the only major party that has a chance of putting their agenda into action" y'know)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

wow extreme violence on display here, is she a secret labour operative?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The mask in front of the kid is a non-rebreather mask, usually used for delivering high-flow O2. The tweet is correct that if he needed to wear one he'd be very sick and probably have a bed in resus or even ITU.

However, he isn't wearing it. It's just placed near his face. Which is a pretty common way of providing a small amount of O2 to kids or anyone else who won't tolerate wearing a tight-fitting oxygen mask constantly. Instead of making them wear a low-flow mask, you put a high-flow mask a few inches away so they get some of the benefit. You don't get a well-controlled percentage of oxygen that way, but you get some extra and the kid isn't constantly trying to rip the mask off.

So a kernel of truth, but either not looking at the picture properly or just lying.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

too many actual doctors posting it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm also friends with that one nurse

the nurse is namtab

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Im reliably informed the child was fed up of dither and delay, and there's only one cure

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

Really, really hope this plus a student bump can give us what we need.

I mean I'll take it but if it comes down to the Tories losing because they threw pies in their own faces and the media went "finally some entertainment" then ffffffff

also Tom Scott did an update to his electronic voting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs

it's still bad for bitcoin

:hai:

just need a twitter army now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Good to see Boris Johnson enjoyed his little trip to Jeremy Corbyn Bee :mmmhmm:

really wish I'd been able to get some sleep but gently caress it, let's go!