Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I woke up at night a week or so ago, and I heard a blackbird training. I keep half an ear open for blackbird song at all times since I love it and it's how I determine that "gently caress the weather, birb sings means it's spring", but beyond that, what made me remember it is how bad his singing was. It was still recognisably blackbird song, but he sang only short phrases of a few notes, nowhere close to the length, width or expressiveness that a good songbird can pull off. So he's probably hatched this year, and grown up listening to his daddy's singing, convinced that he's gonna be every bit as good as him when he grows up. Wonder if it's stressful when you're just starting out, discovering that far from being easy, singing is tricky and laborious and hard, when it's the only hope you've got of getting a home and attracting a mate

I'm a trans woman, and I've been struggling with voice therapy for the last year, and this really speaks to me :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

FiftySeven posted:

https://twitter.com/ttyEngland/status/1201005982438109184

Just giving some love to this, underappreciated reply.

It's nice to see that the RAF are insensitive cunts everywhere, and not just in North Wales

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

mediadave posted:

Ugh, I'm a failure. I went to Reading today to volunteer with helping Labour, and had the idea to bring cakes and biscuits as a conversation starter as like many goons I'm socially awkward (and no one from Labour Reading had replied to my email). Instead I turned up to the stall, spoke to one guy saying I'd brought them some cakes and biscuits to keep their spirits up, he told me to talk to the other guy on the stall, and that guy looked at my offering like I'd brought them a bucket of cold vomit. Neither showed any interest in talking to me...at all, so after some awkward moments I just wandered off and spent the rest of the afternoon kicking myself. Did send a bit more money Labour and momentum's way though.

Sorry guys.

Don't be so hard on yourself :glomp:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It's so funny hearing Farage saying that we should respect the public vote. He's lost what 7 parliamentary elections?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Chuff McNothing posted:

Rishi Sunak is so out of his depth I can only assume the Tories sent him out there as punishment

I thought they accidentally sent a sixth form prefect

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Burgon getting laughed at there over the Welsh NHS. Why is the NHS in Wales worse than in Scotland? He didn't get a chance to reply

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Price, Berry, and Sturgeon did well there I thought. Farage probably polled well amongst twats. Sunak was poo poo, and was just rattling off scripted moments, he looked completely lost otherwise. Swinson didn't embarrass herself too much, I guess. Burgon had some major ups and downs, I don't think the crowd warmed up to him

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Is it true that one of the Queen's Horrocruxs is the act of England winning the World Cup?

She should be safe until the heat death of the universe then

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Gibbo lied, the Queen hasn't died.

Cheeks speaks on the surviving antique

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/ligomersall/status/1201466034861084674?s=19

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Welsh goons:

Just out. Most deprived areas in Wales report. Might help in canvassing.

https://seneddresearch.blog/2019/12/02/where-are-the-most-deprived-areas-in-wales/

Report, infographics, etc on the link.

I think this is the most useful and readily accessible graphical link:

https://wimd.gov.wales/

Oh hey, Rhyl is ranked 1 & 2 most deprived, that's right near where I grew up. Makes you proud :britain:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

How many grey squirrels would you have to actually kill before the red squirrels recovered their numbers? Isn't it more realistic to just accept that we have grey squirrels now, and move on

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

efb: IGNORE ME

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Literally a jump for "other"

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1202331839345676288

Here is the data for anyone interested

https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Final-Daily-Telegraph-GE2019-VI-Poll-04c12d19h.pdf

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Boris Johnson? More like Boorish Joke, Son! :v:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Those with better hearing can probably pinpoint the exact number Tory sycophants in the audience by those small smatters of applause Bojo's lame jokes keep getting

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Johnson says the knife guy wasn't on probation, but wasn't he wearing an ankle tag? Or was that misreported?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think Bojo just said "Oh god..." in response to Corbyn bringing up cuts to police lol

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Is Bojo going to flog himself with a bus?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

And if you hate yourself the debate will continue on a Radio 5 Live call in show...

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The last YouGov poll came out before the debate ended. They're Tory bought and paid for

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

sinky posted:

Yeah, only sad old fucks will be watching a political debate on a Friday night.

oh :smith:

You mean there are people who go out and do stuff on Friday nights? I highly doubt that, I think it's a myth

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Where can I watch the leadership debate if I didn’t have a TV aerial or paid a licence fee?

iPlayer, just don't snitch on yourself

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

bessantj posted:

May have missed it as I went through the thread but has this done the rounds?

https://twitter.com/adamwagner1/status/1202521499581575172

https://twitter.com/dirk1978/status/1202515474451517442

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

bessantj posted:

Well he seems awful but I don't think he put the report together. I do wish Labour had been more forceful in responding to the Antisemitism bollocks.

Is there anything Labour could do to actually put this issue to bed? It's not being put forward by people who are acting in good faith. The more we do to exonerate ourselves, the more they'll just twist our actions against us. "See? Labour are investigating. No smoke without fire!"

If any of these people were genuine about rooting out these issues, why are they giving Bojo a free pass on "watermelon smiles", "letter boxes", "piccaninnies" et cetera

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ergo calling Musk a pedo isn't defamation, right?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

sinky posted:

Depends, are you a billionaire?

According to cat law whatever I piss on is mine, so really it's an inevitability that I'll own at least one billionaire once I get my day in court with him

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

In regards to pessimism chat, it's worth remembering that the reason we're having this election is because the Tories were a zombie government, Johnson is the worst PM on record, and everything Cum Tzu tried hilariously backfired. Even if they win they're going to fall flat on their faces and get VoNC'd within 3 months

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I met a woman from Liverpool who had been living and working in North Wales (less than 20 miles from Liverpool) for 20+ years and she was telling me how she and others get the 'go back to where you come from and stop stealing our homes / jobs / husbands' etc from North Wales' natives.

Glad you find it's helping.

As a North Wales native I can 100% confirm this. As a kid my parents told me that Liverpool council would rehome the problem tenants near us

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Venomous posted:

Last week of the election. gently caress it.

:toxx: If the Conservative Party forms the next UK government at Westminster, I will donate £20 to Mermaids. :toxx:

I'll match that :toxx:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

So I'm taking to someone who just tried to use Corbyn scrapping the married tax allowance as a gotcha, because it'll affect lower income couples. Any advice on what to reply with?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Also Labour's Facebook just posted this:

https://action.labour.org.uk/page/content/personal-manifesto/

Seems like a great way to make their policies relatable

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

One of my coworkers: "They're both the same. I'm going to vote for anyone but them. BNP, KKK, it doesn't matter as long as it's not those two"

:gonk:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

And with only hours to go, the SNP just dropped their LGBTI Equality Manifesto. I just skimmed it but it seems pretty good

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/www.snp.org/uploads/2019/12/SNP_LGBTI_Equality_Manifesto_2019.pdf

quote:

Gender recognition
The SNP government was the first in the UK to
commit to reforming gender recognition law
to secure equality and human rights for trans
people. A draft Gender Recognition (Scotland)
Bill will be published by the end of this year, with
a consultation on the detail of the legislation.
SNP MPs will press for Westminster to
recognise in reserved areas any changes to the
law in Scotland, and press for the same actions
to be taken at Westminster.

Non-binary recognition
SNP MPs will press the UK government to allow
non-binary people to record their gender as “X”
on passports and all other UK-wide records and
identity documents. The SNP government is
also establishing a non-binary working group to
consider changes to procedures and practice in
Scotland.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 10, 2019

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Doccykins posted:

The only poll that matters is the one on Thursday. Turn up and help Get Out The Vote.

:hai:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm in one of the Extinction Rebellion private groups on Facebook, and I'm happy to see a flood of posts over the last week supporting Labour. The consensus seems to be that while the movement isn't supposed to be political, the environment is a political issue (duh) and Labour is the only real route to implementing the necessary changes. It's nice watching them very slowly radicalise

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pindakaas posted:

What if they need to pee?

Pissed pants after a small price to pay for justice, Comrade

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Miftan posted:

I'm incredibly anxious and incredibly thankful for this community. I've been very emotional the last 2 days and it'll probably only get worse. This makes no sense because I know that this election is only a small step. It'll help a lot of people if Labour get in, but it's only the start. Make no mistake, there's a storm coming. It could be tomorrow, it could be in a few years when Labour win or it could be in 50 years when the climate crisis hits us in the face, but it's coming. At that point, it will be either us or the nazis and it's our duty to make sure that those not yet born don't scorn us for not acting. Do what you can, even if it's very little. Some of us can't help. That's okay. You're all precious comrades and knowing you're with us in spirit is enough. It sustains us because communities are important. It might not be on Thursday (although it loving just might be!), but we will win. It's a matter of keeping the torch lit until we get there and putting in the work to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

:hai:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Emma calling sex workers "whores" is the big red flag imo. I don't really expect these people to be better than SWERFs, but they should def be scolded for their poo poo opinions regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

jackhunter64 posted:

Made for the Discord and I'm unreasonably proud of it

Made possible by :swinson: