Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just want Tom Brady's arm to fall off as he jacks it into his maga hat and then the team gets bad again. Then I won't need to listen to the conspiracy theories of every guy from Southie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You'd be fine to run W7 for a month or two after the end of life.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Forget star wars. Smoke some weed and go see Cats. It looks so powerfully bad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tom Cruise has done violent interrogations for Scientology and I just lose my mind thinking of that tiny dude coming in trying to be the bad cop.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

The protag looks like the most boring-rear end white dude

He is but he's honestly kind of enjoyable. He's a genuinely nice character which is a nice change of pace from your average sarcastic white dude protag.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Miyazaki has made 0 bad movies it’s wild

Ponyo was pretty bad and carried by the always excellent animation the studio does. It would not be as praised as it is if someone else made it.

But 1 bad movie while the rest are instant classics is still an amazing record.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yinlock posted:

ghibli is tainted for me by the discovery that miyazaki is an unbelievable poo poo on almost every level

he abuses his son, he's a nightmare boss that has traumatized his employees, his dream is to watch everyone except him die, he's just the worst

lol yeah, it's kind of weird that he's vocally and loudly anti-war and anti-fascist but also seems like a pretty destructive crummy person to be around. He's not great at practicing what he preaches.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It blows my mind that game is on the Switch, did Nintendo censor it at all? (blood, nudity, swearing etc)
It's all there. Nintendo has loosened up about 3rd party games having stuff like that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mekchu posted:

This announcement by the admins is incredibly toothless and weak given how many times they say "we're changing things soon, we promise" over the past month or whatever it's been that SA has been on fire.

Things are not getting better and it seems like whoever actually calls the shots, we keep getting told its someone else, has no stomach to make things better.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I can guarantee you that this insanity was as much of a surprise to me as any of you, and I had no loving idea PPJ was doing anything like this, and I assume most of the other mods didn't have a clue either.

That's my assumption though it seems like a lot of mods did also know. Jeffrey knew which is a problem. This entire thing is insane and I'm baffled as to how no one thought it was a good idea.

We've had our disagreements J-Ru but holy poo poo you're a legitimately good mod. This whole thing is insane.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, from what I can suss out from the mod posts this was a clique of mods. And an admin. An admin being in on it feels like a huge problem.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the worst spy is the person who volunteered to spy for you.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BIGTITTYVEGANGIRL posted:

I really liked it too. David Byrne was in it and I really like him. It was really great to watch while high and I hope they make it into a series.

I didn't love it until the David Byrne bit. Easily my favorite part of the show.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

On a completely different note, I finally caught up on The Witcher. I thought it was pretty good right up until the last episode. I liked that too but what a weird loving ending, it felt like they ran out of time while shooting or thought they had another episode of something, and just quickly wrote a 30 second wrap-up/cliffhanger for season 2.

Also they tried just a bit too hard to be clever through the season with the three leads all living in different time frames that didn't come together until the final episode, it all ended up making sense but it was a pretty pale imitation of what worked so well in Westworld Season 1 with the reveal (which to be fair many people guessed) that we were seeing two distinct periods of time in the park's lifetime.

Henry Cavill's voice was a little over the top but he got Geralt's "gently caress!"s spot-on, and I'm glad they dived deep into the whole notion that being a Witcher is a loving horrible thing and not at all to be desired.

I forget where exactly he said it but Cavill talked about trying to do a bunch of different voices for Geralt before realizing that the games got it right and he ended up just doing his best Doug Cockle impression.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I really wanna finish Disco Elysium but playing that game is like slamming my face into a wall.
I have really bad problem solving skills and conflict aversion so severe it leaks into my game playing. I am uniquely unsuited to playing that game.

Are you a sorry cop?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Spikegal posted:

What is your favorite movie that you kind of know isn't great? Mine is Grave Encounters I also really like the sequel. It's pretty standard if above-average found footage but has some really great ideas with impossible space

The cube horror movie series.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The Soccer Mommy tune on the soundtrack is rad though. Still deciding if I like the Mitski and Cherry Glazerr tracks.

I like all the songs, I don't know poo poo about the movie though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Were there some Mario games that weren't carried over to the West from Japan?

The only example I can think of is Super Mario 2. In Japan they released Super Mario 2 in 1986 and it was just a new set of levels in the style of the first game. We didn't see that games in the US until 1993 when it was included in Super Mario All-Stars as "The Lost Levels". It was considered too hard for western gamers at launch.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Just ignore that dlc and play the Atlantis one.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I tell ya what folks the Rat Boy mayor really makes my blood boil

He has such strong bumps the table when he's losing risk energy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm an atheist and the New Atheism folks absolutely suck. Humans are hard wired to look for patterns where they don't exist and to come up with explanations for an irrational world. I have my own absolutely irrational rituals that help me make sense of the world and so does everyone else. To try to deny it is to deny part of what makes us human.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DS9 felt the most realistic and felt like it gave you a taste of what life is like in the universe. I'm also a sucker for stories that take place just outside of the perfect Utopia and show what it takes to make sure the Utopia survives.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I get the impression Valve is really poorly run these days but are also too big to fail. They got in at the right time and with the right product in stream that they strangled all the competition in the crib and as long as they can keep the lights on they will print money.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

What's weirder is the original Gallagher wasn't, then his racist Twin bought the gimmick from him and made it political.

That's kinda true. Leo is the original Gallagher and Ron is Gallagher 2. They're brothers but not twins, they just look very alike. Leo let Ron do the act but he had to specify that Ron wasn't the original Gallagher. Pretty much when Leo changed up his act he would hand the old one to Ron who would then run it in cheaper smaller venues. Leo eventually got into a big dispute with Ron in the late 90's because he was getting shadier about how he billed himself and stopped making people aware that he wasn't the original Gallagher. Now Leo is the only one doing the act and it's him who made the racist comments.

Overall he is a bitter hateful person who's mad he only made a million instead of millions. Instead of being happy he achieved success for a long time, especially as a comedian, he's mad it wasn't longer and that no one recognized him as the brilliant provocative mind he thinks he is. He's a Dane Cook who thinks he deserved to be a George Carlin or Eddie Murphy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quadrophenia is my personal favorite. No clue why but I'm absolutely enamored with that movie and watch it at least once a year.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

My only problem with Harry Potter is structural. I feel like Ron needed to be a more useful character and also they needed to have the friends be from each of the houses. The books did a real good job of setting up all these issues with the setting that the characters could have tackled like the danger at the school, the slavery, etc but in the end Harry was just setting things back to the status que. Voldermort should have been all about that life while Harry and crew should have been about creating a better world.

The SPEW subplot is entirely about how the slaves like being slaves as long as they're treated well and Hermione is a bleeding heart idiot for trying to help them. The books are really bad if you put any political lens on them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I think having the books age up with the readers and characters really helped make them the cultural force they are. But you should also eventually age out of them and realize they're not a guide to life.

Much like Hamilton I like the piece of art but I hate what the art has come to represent. Rowling herself also has some really poo poo opinions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't know if any of that will make you safer but it absolutely wont hurt you and it makes you feel safe so keep doing it. I do recommend giving the gloves a scrub with antibacterial before taking them off if you can. Just helps you keep from spreading to your hands, still wash your hands after taking the gloves off too. Sorry if this is all poo poo you know.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Also it's weird that in these uncertain times where everyone is freakin' out man!!! someone would choose to do some weird april fools that makes it look like the place they go to escape the freak out is also crumbling from the inside

Genuinely not tryin' to be a downer about a silly joke but read the room, ya know

Yeah, I knew some idiot website was going to do a poor taste April Fools joke but I didn't expect it to be this idiot website. At least it's not about corona.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

I'm sorry but I was like 12 the last time a musician spoke the way my brain does so I get stupid excited when SPEAK releases a banger

https://twitter.com/speakz/status/1246121823525314562

This loving slaps.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I want to die. In changing the situation with the ABLE deal, my parents looked into my bank account, saw my games expenses, and shamed the gently caress out of me for it.

Admittedly I spend a lot on games but it's the only thing I really spend consistent money on, and then my dad flexed on me/shamed me because he spends money on political campaigns and whatnot to "try to change the world" and the work I do IRL apparently doesn't count because "[my mom] forces [me] to do all of it" which is a bunch of half truth Boomer horseshit that I don't even want to dignify with a response.

I'm stuck in a house with two people who apparently think I'm a waste of space because I decompress with video games and refuse to acknowledge anything positive about what I do with my life and take all the credit for themselves.

Your parents sound like they have really awful priorities and value money as a signifier of success over happiness. I'm probably being harsh because my roommate has some really similar stuff going on but I'm really sorry you have to deal with that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean you're harsh but not, and maybe partially wrong but not entirely. They are politically progressive, especially next to their peers, but they have VERY Boomer ideas about what a life path is/should be, which is especially dumb because salaried, benefits having jobs are way the gently caress less common now, even forgetting everything else lovely about their outlooks.

The big thing that stands out to me is that you sound like a really successful person. You lead what sounds like a relatively full life filled with personal development, advocacy for others, and a lot of hard work. But because that work doesn't materialize into money it sounds like it doesn't get counted as "legitimate". And yeah, boomers not realizing how much harder everything is now just makes that attitude even tougher to deal with. It's not laziness that's keeping everyone in their 30s from having a house and family.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

so this week in my quest to decolonize myself I flipped on telesur and watched a decentish 30 minutes bit about Cuba's involvement in the liberation of Angola. Lotta secondary and tertiary source references set off my bullshit alarm but the idea of sending a battalion with mechanized elements to defeat apartheid sounds badass. I wish they talked more about how they got poo poo there because that's a huge story they glossed over. You don't just throw a bunch of weapons poo poo onto rando boats, send it across international waters without incident.

According to Wikipedia it was a mix of an aging fleet of 3 planes and commandeering their merchant marine to move equipment and troops.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That lunchtime pepsi is sometimes the only thing keeping you going that day.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I Did The Thing and Spent The Money. It makes me happy to get the things so gently caress it, down with Boomer Bullshit, God bless.

gently caress yeah

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Seth Rollins posted:

i was in a really bad car accident in college, and i spent my settlement money on a gaming pc. i just swap out parts every now and then. it's like the ship of theseus.

I did the exact same thing

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If I had to pick between burning man or the gathering I'd pick the gathering every time. No way rich desert hippies are more fun then juggalos.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Burning Man smells better and has better music I bet

Spoken like someone who hasn't been trapped on a road trip with burners listening to psytrance for hours while sober.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

yeah I'm over them nowadays. There's only so many times you can puke with thousand people watching you.

Anyway, so I stumbled across this story and had to share with you all

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1258127935547961344

Jesus. People are so incredibly dumb about boats and being on the water. What an insanely dangerous idea if you have no experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What's the worst movie you've all seen?

Gravity