Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
First episode appears to be mostly/entirely based on The Lesser Evil. Which is good because if you were going to pick it an entry point into The Witcher, it's the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Cavill does seem super stiff. When he's giving his little "Evil is evil" speech to Stregobor, he turns like he can't bend his waist.

I also find it amusing that the show is trying to ride the line between being based on the books and existing because the games were popular. The Wild Hunt just got namedropped for no good reason.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 20, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

esperterra posted:

They exist in the books as well. Thought they don't get mentioned much until later in the saga.

Oh, I'm aware. But like you said, they're not a thing for a while and mentioning them so early just seems like an intentional reference than an organic bit of world-building.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Escobarbarian posted:

These sword fights in the first episode’s climax are sick as hell

Hell yeah. Not realistic in the slightest, clearly getting across the idea that Geralt is fast as gently caress, and most importantly PIROUETTES

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

cheesetriangles posted:

This show might be really good?

My biggest takeaway from ep 1 is that the show understands the story and setting. The pacing is a little weird but it still gets across Geralt's character, the important plot beats, and the overall themes while being entertaining. I'm gonna have to watch the rest later, but the foundation is solid.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
how mad are the chuds about triss being played by a WoC

I also enjoy how the show makes Foltest into a fat gross dude instead of the more noble portrayal in Witcher 2. Lauren Hissch was clearly less sympathetic to the sisterfucker.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 20, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tehran 1979 posted:

For game/book readers, what do the male witches have to give up instead?

I believe sorcerers are also sterile, though the game/books present it more as being immersed in magic just naturally making you infertile as opposed to they cut your balls off. Witchers are also sterile.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

cheesetriangles posted:

I think the greatest tragedy of the show is the lack of dong. Altered Carbon had it and this fails to fill those shoes.

The Witcher franchise has always been cowardly about showing peen. Even Geralt's nude model in the third game just had a blank void where his cock-n-balls should be.

SHOW US YOUR DICK HENRY CAVILL

SHOW US YOUR DICK

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpReBawvuIU

Man, these special effects are off the charts.

The Witcher: As Presented by the Sunnybrook High Theater Company

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's pretty weird that they adapted the story where Geralt first goes to Cintra in episode 4 but then had Cintra burn down 14 years later in episode 1.

I think a lot of the problems with this season stem from trying to introduce Ciri early. Introducing her in like episode 5 would have tightened up her plot, given Yen and Geralt's stories more space to breath, and made the non-linear narrative less confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Phenotype posted:

e: Should I read the books or play the game next if I'm interested in more Witcher? Is the English translation good?

The books. The games actually take place after the books and while you can certainly play them without reading the series first, its all mostly good. Get as much Witcher into you as you can.