Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Davros1 posted:

BF announced the new season of Eighth Doctor Adventures, following on from "Ravenous".

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-stranded-1-2169

"Stranded"- The Doctor, Liv, and Helen find themselves without the TARDIS, having to live out their days in the Doctor's residence on Baker St, in London 2020.

And the Doctor gets a new friend, the former PC, now Sergeant, Andy Davidson, from Torchwood!

Big Finish truly is just Doctor Who Mad Libs, isn't it?

quote:

Doctor No. [1d12] and [LIVING COMPANION] star in a 4-part story called DOCTOR WHO: [15+ POINT WORD IN SCRABBLE]

Part 1: Doctor No. [1d8] and [LIVING COMPANION] run into each other at a [CONTEMPORARY EARTH LOCATION] and are faced with [A PROBLEM THAT WOULD NOT BE TOO EXPENSIVE TO FILM WERE THIS A TV SHOW].

Part 2: Things are complicated when Doctor No. [1d8] and [LIVING COMPANION] encounter [AN ENEMY THAT APPEARED EXACTLY ONCE ON THE TV SHOW], but get assistance from [LIVING ACTOR].

Part 3: [THE DALEKS] show up.

Part 4: The ending is unsatisfying because of [REASON].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
So Chibnall Who is still hot loving garbage huh.

It's been bugging me since last season that I can't quite put my finger on why it's so bad. Chibnall is a crap writer, but Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and the one episode with the cubes were at least functional episodes of Doctor Who. The length is certainly a problem; trim this episode down 15 or 20 minutes and you'd see an improvement for sure. Every single scene goes on too long.

What if instead of a lovely-looking motorcycle chase we used that time to have the Doctor have a heated conversation with the bad guy, so we might learn more about him than "he's Jeff Bezos and knows aliens?" You know, the only type of scene that Doctor Who is consistently good at? And it would be nice to have Jodie Whittaker do something more than spout technobabble and make tired quips. Also, why is Yaz, who had just had a mildly traumatizing experience being zapped into Alien Forest Zone, laughing and quipping about being shot at in said motorcycle chase? Is this what we get for asking for more Yaz content?

I forgot how bad that miniature spinning Tardis looks. At least the aliens look neat, and Sacha Dhawan is having fun. But this still feels like a one-series show another channel would pump out to compete against Doctor Who.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mooseontheloose posted:

great reveal, good opener.

Did people really diskike last year all that much? there were at least 4 great episodes off the top of my head.

Most people were lukewarm to positive, I think. Myself, I thought it was the second-worst series in the show's history after Colin Baker's first.

In any other season stuff like Demons of the Punjab would be a minor classic, a treat that you don't remember until it comes back up. When it's the best you got, you're in trouble.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Action Jacktion posted:

Seriously it was a mess. The Doctor spends too much time delivering exposition and then fixes things in a way that makes you wonder why they don't just do that every week. The companions don't accomplish anything but to be fair the Doctor also just stands there as the Master kills people. And the aliens' master plan is revealed and foiled so quickly it feels like an afterthought.

Once again they're going to have to find a way to bring back Gallifrey. Why don't you just not destroy it so you don't have to inevitably undo it?

Time Lords have always been telepathic but I don't think we've ever seen them having conversations over long distances before. It felt a bit ridiculous since they could've just kept using the telegraph. Also the Doctor can selectively erase people's memories by touching them, even though it's never really been a problem before for people from the past to remember the future. And you might as well let Noor Inayat Khan remember since she'd be dead in a year anyway.

Yeah. It's real bad. It "feels" more like Doctor Who, in that it's less trying to be HD Davies stories, but this doesn't feel like a show that's learned much from the Moffat era; it feels like the show was canceled in 2009 and this is the revival of the revival. Broadly things hang together better than last week, but man are there a ton of bad things on the outskirts.

Let's take the Doctor's dumbass stance on morality (which has NEVER been pacifist in any sense of the word): shooting the Master, a multiple mass murderer, who will kill again, is bad. Trapping the Master in a weird brain forest for all eternity is good. Letting the Master, who is currently an Indian man, get arrested by the Nazis is good. Also, she's fine with Barton just slinking away, just like she was with not-Trump in the previous series, because to impede the progress of bad people is to become a bad person yourself. It's loving infuriating, and it comes from loving nowhere. The Doctor's always been averse to violence, but has never ruled it out as an option. "Have I the right?" In the end, he decided he did have the right and went back to pull the lever! The man who never would ended up picking up the loving gun!

Also, everything about Gallifrey in this episode was stupid. Ooh, Rassilon's secretly an rear end in a top hat, what a radical take, flying in the face of previous depictions of him as a good and chill guy, such as ___________. And it's not even in a pocket dimension anymore, it was in the regular universe as of Hell Bent.

EDIT: Oh, speaking of Hell Bent, remember how it was a whole episode about how it was bad for the Doctor to erase people's memories without their consent. Cause the Doctor doesn't!

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 6, 2020

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

marktheando posted:

I couldn't sleep last night so I spent lots of time looking at stupid Doctor Who opinions and videos on the internet. Fans seem to be split on the new Master, between

1. People that like him
2. People that don't like him
3. People that hate Whitaker and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
4. People that hate Chibnall and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
5. People who are upset that Missy's character development has been apparently rejected
6. People who are certain he must be a pre-Missy Master because she died permanently (lol) and also turned good permanently (lol)
7. Shippers who have resumed making Doctor/Master videos
8. Racists (high overlap with 2, 3 and 4)

I'm not gonna say I don't like Sacha Dhawan; he's having fun with the part, but I do think that he's not covering any ground that John Simm didn't already cover. The scene with him forcing the Doctor to bow felt like an outtake from The Sound of Drums, minus the homoeroticism I guess cause the Doctor's currently a woman. It's a less interesting choice than Missy but then that's the Chibnall era in a nutshell isn't it, which I suppose makes me a 4 after all.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I had decided that after the past two episodes failed to improve on the formula at all that I was pretty much done with the Chibnall era, but people calling it the worst episode almost makes me want to watch it now, cause man is that some stiff competition.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The negative comments finally got me intrigued enough to watch, and good god, I'm not trying to be contrarian, but this episode is clearly in the top 3 of the Chibnall era. That says more about the era than it does the episode, which has about two-and-a-half too many concepts, characters who are far too willing to sacrifice themselves, and a complete misunderstanding of what the word "quiet" means. It's middling Doctor Who, but at least it feels like Doctor Who again. It's a revelation hearing these characters talk like they're not nitwits. The Doctor does Doctor-y things and says Doctor-y stuff. It's still kind of generic Doctor stuff, I still don't have a real good handle on what Whitaker's supposed to be like, but hell, it's a start. "I usually do most of the talking anyway," and her running out of oxygen first because she never stops talking are great bits.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ither posted:

Orphan 55 was one of the worst episodes of Modern Who.

It's head and shoulders above every single Chibnall-penned story, which given how much he's writing automatically puts it in the top half of the era. It's full of half-baked ideas, but it's got good dialogue (god how I have missed that) and the Doctor manages to not hand any PoC over to the Nazis, so that's a plus!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Alright, this episode and the last one were decent enough that I'll keep watching. I'll just skip any of the Chibnall ones from now on.

It feels pointless to even complain about the Doctor saying that Telsa should have been the first billionaire because that's just how this show works now. But hey, they remembered to have a scene where the Doctor and the bad guy talk about stuff, the design of the queen was neat (I liked that she was wearing tires on her shoulders like a Mad Max character), and there was setup and payoff with the teleporter thingy. It's achieved a basic level of competency and even gone somewhat beyond that.

Having three companions just doesn't work, I think. It was alright in the '60s where there were like 50 episodes a year and they weren't expected to have things like 'arcs' or 'growth,' but these three have barely any personality. In the last two series it seems like the Doctor has grown in importance to plot and amount of screentime over the Davies and Moffat eras, so you've got three characters splitting that remainder into even smaller percentages of importance. They should really ditch the whole crew when the next series comes out in 2023 or whenever.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Graham and Ryan have good chemistry but I still don't know how much I could tell you about them as individuals. I do like that Graham is solidly working class in a way that we haven't seen since Rose probably, and I've liked some bits of Ryan's, but they all seen rather thin character-wise, and docile story-wise.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Thankfully now that there has been a non consenting mind wipe in Doctor Who, nobody would ever be stupid enough to do it again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm a steadfast (and only) supporter of Wholigans. Largely because it only works in print.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Captain Jack cameo was so disconnected from everything else you could basically have dropped it into any episode this series. I would say at least it's nice to see him again, but honestly, if he's just there to drop a painfully obvious line of exposition, no it's not. Like if you're just looking for an old face to shout "Beware the Cyberman!" you can go weirder than that. Get the lady who was queen in The Beast Below, or the Doctor's clone daughter, or whichever of the old UNIT cast hasn't been credibly accused of rape. Save Barrowman for an occasion where he has more to do than stand in a room and pretend it's shaking under laser fire.

That besides, I will definitely take bizarre over boring, so this gets a big thumbs-up from me. It's almost certainly going to botch the landing, but hey, Last of the Time Lords doesn't invalidate Utopia/The Sound of Drums.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Assuming a modicum of competency on the part of the writers, it would be difficult to reconcile Ruth with being an Official pre-Hartnell Regeneration. Whittaker's definitely had a couple of lines thus far referencing that being a woman is a different experience for her, and while there was that teasing line from Missy in the Dalek two-parter about the Doctor having once been a little girl, Chibnall has largely ignored the Moffat era altogether so that's unlikely to come into play. So I think time shenanigans or parallel universes are pretty likely the cause here. You could read a few lines in Orphan 55 as setup for the idea of alternate timelines, but having watched Spyfall I don't think Chibnall is a good enough writer to do that on purpose.

CobiWann posted:

I'm willing to bet that somehow this "Lone Cyberman" is messing with the Doctor's timeline, or the Cybermen have messed with the temporal structure of the universe enough to change things that the Doctor's first regeneration was into Ruth, who because of the Cybermen is a more ruthless, pragmatic Doctor, one who wouldn't have come up with something like a sonic screwdriver when she could come up with a weapon instead.

This is probably basically it, but I really really hope the Lone Cyberman is never mentioned again after Captain Jack's sidequest dialogue and it's a complete red herring. If this is the case, I will retroactively award Chibnall the title of Greatest Showrunner.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Davros1 posted:

Somebody posted this:

https://twitter.com/PenguinTim/status/1225080866440982530?s=20

I realize I am not the target audience for this type of stuff, but... does anybody really want this? Or to put it another way, does anybody want this enough to spend close to $50 on it?

(I realize that because they keep getting made, the answer is yes, so I will make the same observation in 2022 when BG releases The Adventures of That One Kid from Flatline: The First of Four Four Part Stories.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

There was apparently at least one book if not a series of them written all about that dude in Empire Strikes Back seen for four seconds running around in a panic with what looks like an ice-cream machine after Lando orders the place get evacuated, all about how this guy was actually a super cool secret double-spy who saved the Rebellion multiple times and also that ice-cream machine had plans for like the second Death Star or something in it.

What I'm saying is that Nick Briggs saw that business model and said,"Yes but what if also Daleks?"

Star Wars EU was my first love, I'll pour one out for the millions of people who helped steal the Death Star plans nine times over.

It's the economics of BF that boggle me. It doesn't cost too much to get some up-and-comer to write a 15 page story about Figrin D'an trying to raise the credits to get his jizz band out of its contract with Jabba the Hutt, but you have to book Freema Agyeman for a couple days, pay a half-dozen supporting actors, do sound effects, art design, all that jazz.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Ah, this sounds so loving dumb I'm going to have to start watching again. I'll take Goddamn Stupid Who over Boring Who any day.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I like Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor, but like most of nuWho, the series just didn't grab me even after watching her first two or three episodes. So in a way I'm kind of glad I didn't continue watching, because this sort of idiotic retcon you guys are describing would have made my eyes roll so hard they'd pop out the back of my head.

I almost gave up after the first two episodes this series and only came back because people in the thread were saying that Orphan 55 was one of the worst episodes they'd ever seen (they were completely wrong) and I wanted to know what could possibly be worse than Spyfall. I skipped out on about half of the episodes this series and feel no urge to go back through them. I'm only considering watching the finale because it sounds so loving bad. Like, how poo poo do you have to be to take the series finale the show was parodying like two seasons ago and play it straight?

I really hate that Doctor Who is just another dumb sci-fi show now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Action Jacktion posted:

But it seems like next year

You mean "in three years." And honestly, good riddance. Just let the show lie fallow if this is the dreck that's going to come of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would go so far as to say that if you don't like Love & Monsters I'm not sure what you're getting out of Doctor Who.